It looks like Celebrity is now requiring negative COVID test before boarding

jcpc

25 minutes ago, VermontsFinest said:

Not the original poster, but looks like a Miami Vice (mix of pina colada and strawberry daiquiri, a great drink to get with or without alcohol)

Exactly right! These are virgin… and you’re right, they are delicious either way!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, qoap24 said:

I would call and make sure because I went online and my CVS showed they do the rapid test and when I got there I was told they do not. 

Did you make an appointment because that is the only way I saw that you can get one, at least in my state. 

3 hours ago, cdcummings said:

Exactly right! These are virgin… and you’re right, they are delicious either way!

Thanks.... It looks yummy.     I'm not a drinker but looks like something I might occasionally enjoy.

18 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks.... It looks yummy.     I'm not a drinker but looks like something I might occasionally enjoy.

It does look yummy, alcoholic or not -- I'm thinking it's an ice dessert.  Yum!

2 hours ago, kelib said:

Did you make an appointment because that is the only way I saw that you can get one, at least in my state. 

There are 2 rapid tests, antigen or naat…..the ship is saying we need antigen which most Cvs and Walgreens do not have

A friend in San Antonio went to CVS today for a rapid antigen test. He said that the report does include the date and time the specimen was collected. Took about 45 minutes for a nurse practitioner to call with the results and post the results to his online record. 

50 minutes ago, mgmigs said:

There are 2 rapid tests, antigen or naat…..the ship is saying we need antigen which most Cvs and Walgreens do not have

I agree that most stores do not, that’s why I had to go online and find which stores did. I am going to stores not in my neighborhood but  living in a populated area I am lucky to have choices, 

Finding that also what state you live in makes a difference. 

With Florida experiencing a record surge in cases (over 20k a day) and hospitalizations (over 1,500 a day, over 10k total) for COVID, it is not surprising that Celebrity panicked and issued the 11th hour test mandate last week.

If I were cruising out of Florida, I would feel a lot more comfortable if everyone who embarked tested negative first.  The law of averages would indicate that Celebrity is likely letting on multiple COVID positive cases on each embarkation without the required testing, given the widespread community transmission occurring in Florida.

• Like 4

Again….I reiterate. Just because you get a test within 72 hours prior to embarking, (getting on the ship), and the results are negative does not mean that you can’t be positive when you actually board the ship. Any test is only indicative for that moment you take the test. A better solution, albeit probably problematic for the boarding process would be to test every individual, regardless of age, vaccinated or not at the terminal prior to check-in. 

• Like 3

It’s better than nothing! Very little is 100% sure in life, so we do the best we can. Requiring a COVID test no more than 3 days prior to boarding is much better than no testing at all, that’s for sure. But yes - giving everyone a rapid test at the pier would have been even better – until you factor in false positives that ruin some people’s vacations and false negatives that fail to protect everyone.

• Like 3

We are scheduled on Millennium later this month and have received various emails concerning pre-cruise stuff.  Even though it was not clear on the face of the emails, by following links to the website, it is pretty clear that a negative test will be required to board.  One of the emails included a "Registration" link that we followed that resulted in scheduling a test at the terminal that will presumably be part of check-in as shown on the confirmation (with a name and confirmation number) that I received.  But, when I look at the website, it says that the required pre-cruise test is the responsibility of the passenger to arrange and pay for.  Any thoughts about whether I should trust this approach to getting the required pre-cruise test?

Testing Appointment Confirmed

Hi _____, 

Your appointment is scheduled.

Your test will be performed as part of check-in at the terminal.

Appointment Details

Address: 2255 Alaskan Way Seattle, WA 98121

Date: 20-Aug-2021

Confirmation Number: _________

Cancel Booking

Edited by jgmorgan

56 minutes ago, jgmorgan said:

We are scheduled on Millennium later this month and have received various emails concerning pre-cruise stuff.  Even though it was not clear on the face of the emails, by following links to the website, it is pretty clear that a negative test will be required to board.  One of the emails included a "Registration" link that we followed that resulted in scheduling a test at the terminal that will presumably be part of check-in as shown on the confirmation (with a name and confirmation number) that I received.  But, when I look at the website, it says that the required pre-cruise test is the responsibility of the passenger to arrange and pay for.  Any thoughts about whether I should trust this approach to getting the required pre-cruise test?

Testing Appointment Confirmed

Hi _____, 

Your appointment is scheduled.

Your test will be performed as part of check-in at the terminal.

Appointment Details

Address: 2255 Alaskan Way Seattle, WA 98121

Date: 20-Aug-2021

Confirmation Number: _________

Cancel Booking

Strange.  We're going on the next trip (8/27) and have not received such an offer to test at the pier.  Our emails only say we need to show up with a negative test, period. 

Edited by Real NHDOC

20 hours ago, TexSea said:

A friend in San Antonio went to CVS today for a rapid antigen test. He said that the report does include the date and time the specimen was collected. Took about 45 minutes for a nurse practitioner to call with the results and post the results to his online record. 

We are Fla snowbirds.  Last Spring CVS  Venice would not  schedule us for a test.. We ended up at a  walk in  with the PCR test but results took longer....some walk ins had a high fee.for the Rapid.

The suggestion to try lab corps may be workable if we cannot postpone our cruise beyond January.

Finally got through to Celebrity by phone.  The test at the terminal is only for unvaccinated passengers which by definition should be under 12 years old.  Why the website allowed us to schedule a test even though it asked for date of birth I don't know.

21 hours ago, mgmigs said:

I am totally confused.  Not time for me to make an appointment yet, but my CVS had "antigen" next to the rapid test appointment.  Maybe it depends on the state and store? Sounds like I need to call CVS to verify the rapid test is an Antigen test. 

We made our Antigen test appointment online at a local CVS for 6:00PM the Thursday before our Sunday Equinox cruise. It is a drive up test. You do not get out of the car. Results should be available within a few hours. Sounds like it should be simple.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, katrina915 said:

I am totally confused.  Not time for me to make an appointment yet, but my CVS had "antigen" next to the rapid test appointment.  Maybe it depends on the state and store? Sounds like I need to call CVS to verify the rapid test is an Antigen test. 

My local CVS does antigen rapid tests which I have used several times, no confusion and I will use them before our cruise this month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2021 at 10:49 AM, bEwAbG said:

This is morning-after quarterbacking though.  You don't know if Celebrity wanted to do this earlier in the week but were overruled by the corporate parents.  Or maybe the opposite: they thought it unnecessary but were overruled.  I also think there is a stark difference in the "middle of the game" rule changes related to health & safety versus regular onboard experience. We are talking about leisure travel in the middle of a pandemic that is still evolving here.

Since you like football analogies...  Even Jerry Jones knows better than to tell Mike McCarthy to throw passes Dak Prescott is unable to throw given the state of the defensive rush coming at him. McCarthy and Prescott call the shots on the field.

The suits haven't got a clue what the limitations of the workers are given the impossible circumstances.   The suits should have left the call to the shore staff.

Instead an outside body,  the Broward County sheriff made the reasonable  right call before heat stroke cases happened in spite of CDC guidance (not law).

MBAs with zero practical experience should not be making opertional decisions. 

Big deal, the CEO went for a boat ride a couple of weeks ago.  Bet she stayed in her suite most of the time and glad handed select crew members.

Fire away at me folks.  That is my position.  I am finished arguing this point and have given up on some of you folks.  More than likely they are TAs who will not risk their complimentary cruises if they speak the truth.  I don't  blame you.  

Took the test (though the majority did not).   Passed the test.  On the ship with Celebrity staff that really know what they are doing and treating  me like a real person instead of a revenue generator. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

We are Fla snowbirds.  Last Spring CVS  Venice would not  schedule us for a test.. We ended up at a  walk in  with the PCR test but results took longer....some walk ins had a high fee.for the Rapid.

The suggestion to try lab corps may be workable if we cannot postpone our cruise beyond January.

Currently (but  subject to change)  Celebrity is only requiring pre-testing for cruises up until 9/6. 

My cruise is within this period and I've been checking.   My health Care Provider say that if I need to get one done at an external lab for quick processing that I will be reimbursed by filing a claim form.