The vaccination olympics

30 minutes ago, possum52 said:

33 Positive Yr 12s were picked up yesterday because students in certain LGA were required to have a negative test before doing their GAT exam today. The majority of cases in Victoria are young people anyway.

I agree about the protesters and also the GF get togethers and probably people just not doing the right thing by their community. We have neighbours who have visitors regularly or as our neighbours across the road do, go away for the weekend and last week, for a few days. We occasionally see our family at the park or if our son and his family are out walking or cycling, they will stop at the front and we will talk over the front fence, wearing masks. But they don't come inside. 

Complacency and civil disobedience is killing us Leigh.

I'm just back from a quick trip to Wellington.  The good people of Wellington are much more compliant re masks and distancing etc than the people of Tauranga.  Meanwhile this latest outbreak is creeping closer to us with a case in Karapiro (only about 40 minutes away).  The govt are desperately trying to encourage people to vaccinate.  They have admitted that the virus is spreading amongst gangs who are disengaged from the whole contact trace, vaccination, mask process.  Indeed, they are unlikely to follow the news at all.  Sadly, we had a death announced today.  We have now crossed the 40% threshold but vaccination rates are low among Maori who are a vulnerable group.  Vaccine passports are being introduced and one will need to provide proof of vaccination to attend large public events like concerts.

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 16.56.16.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I'm just back from a quick trip to Wellington.  The good people of Wellington are much more compliant re masks and distancing etc than the people of Tauranga.  Meanwhile this latest outbreak is creeping closer to us with a case in Karapiro (only about 40 minutes away).  The govt are desperately trying to encourage people to vaccinate.  They have admitted that the virus is spreading amongst gangs who are disengaged from the whole contact trace, vaccination, mask process.  Indeed, they are unlikely to follow the news at all.  Sadly, we had a death announced today.  We have now crossed the 40% threshold but vaccination rates are low among Maori who are a vulnerable group.  Vaccine passports are being introduced and one will need to provide proof of vaccination to attend large public events like concerts.

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 16.56.16.png

NZ will get there as well, it just may take longer. Once people realise what being vaccinated  means apart from the health benefits, they will come around.

• Like 1

I read an article on NZ that said they are waiting till 90% fully vacced, till they open. 
It seems that it not such a big logistical exercise in NZ rather educating the most vulnerable.

It’s nice to see we are inching towards 90% in NSW but the last few % will be the hardest 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gogo65 said:

I read an article on NZ that said they are waiting till 90% fully vacced, till they open. 
It seems that it not such a big logistical exercise in NZ rather educating the most vulnerable.

It’s nice to see we are inching towards 90% in NSW but the last few % will be the hardest 

We will get very close to 100% eventually as everyone will get covid and the unvaccinated will either get the antibodies or die from the disease. 

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We will get very close to 100% eventually as everyone will get covid and the unvaccinated will either get the antibodies or die from the disease. 

Mic, you are in the know in NATCAP. Is ACT coming out of lockdown on Monday 11th?

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

No, unless they change the plan before then.

We are scheduled to come out of lockdown on Saturday 16th.

https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/act-status-and-response/lockdown

Thanks, I am just putting in another exemption to travel into the ACT for 15 Nov on medical grounds. About a dozen bits of paper attached.  Last one rejected, so I had to reschedule, mind you I have possible prostate cancer according to my GP, hence I have to see a Urologist in Deakin, Canberra.

Edited by NSWP

20 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Thanks, I am just putting in another exemption to travel into the ACT for 15 Nov on medical grounds. About a dozen bits of paper attached.  Last one rejected, so I had to reschedule, mind you I have possible prostate cancer according to my GP, hence I have to see a Urologist in Deakin, Canberra.

Of course I am unsure what will happen with the border between ACT and NSWs regional areas, but I imagine that it will be relaxed by then, so your exemption should succeed.

Hoping it is not prostate cancer as well, good luck.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NSWP said:

Cheers Mic.

On 10/7/2021 at 1:09 PM, NSWP said:

Good luck with all that. I am still hopeful of another visit to Batemans Bay soon (Nov??) - I owe you a drink mate. You'll accept a drink from a Panther, right? 🙂  I was thinking to combine with a trip to ACT - I have an accom voucher I brought last year when I thought COVID would be ok by now 😮I was going to maybe catch up with Mic, but am a bit worried he'll put me to work when I read of the working he is doing in his retirement!

• Like 1

You know, I'm beginning to get a bit fed up with this pandemic.

Still NZ is now at 47% vaccinated.  Yay!

PM has admitted that Auckland is now in suppression phase, rather than elimination.  The rest of the country is at elimination, hence the border (sorry, boundary) in and out of Auckland.

Desperate push for vaccinations.  Health and education workers must be vaccinated by 1 Jan 22.  There is a televised 'vaxathon' on Saturday.  We'll see.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 15.36.14.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 15.36.25.png

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Some media outlets are reporting that the Qld border will reopen on Nov 3, except to residents of Victoria and Greater Sydney.

Still not much good for those of us here in WA as Qld is still considered low risk. So even though we could visit there on return to WA we either have to go into 14 day home quarantine if it is deemed suitable or otherwise 14 day hotel quarantine...sigh. 

I am hoping our trip to Lord Howe Island and the Blue Mountains is possible mid-late February but have made sure I can cancel if need be.

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

Still not much good for those of us here in WA as Qld is still considered low risk. So even though we could visit there on return to WA we either have to go into 14 day home quarantine if it is deemed suitable or otherwise 14 day hotel quarantine...sigh. 

I am hoping our trip to Lord Howe Island and the Blue Mountains is possible mid-late February but have made sure I can cancel if need be.

We have had to cancel yet another attempt of going to WA in November, it turns out 4 times is not the charm.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We have had to cancel yet another attempt of going to WA in November, it turns out 4 times is not the charm.

I'm sorry. 😟. Hopefully next year our rates will be high enough that you can visit and we can travel elsewhere without needing to quarantine on return. I don't mind needing to get testing done if that will help.

2 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Still not much good for those of us here in WA as Qld is still considered low risk

Same here - even though we (Qld) are classified low risk by WA, if we want to go to WA we will need to quarantine on arrival for 14 days either at a Motel or an approved private address. Wouldn’t be much of a holiday 🙄

Was looking at Kimberley Cruises but ………

On 10/13/2021 at 9:00 AM, By The Bay said:

I would love to believe it, but as a doubting Thomas, I will believe it  when I see it. 😁

And a big worry is how quick they might snap closed again. A few places I’d love to drive to, but….. will I get there, or part way, and another snap lock out.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

And a big worry is how quick they might snap closed again. A few places I’d love to drive to, but….. will I get there, or part way, and another snap lock out.

It is inevitable.

24 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We are getting there, 98.8% of 12+ Canberrans have one dose. In 3 weeks time, I imagine they will all be fully vaccinated.

Amazing, I think that must be the best vaccination rate of a city in the world for first doses.