The vaccination olympics

To ensure we dont need to go to the third umpire, can we confirm if this is percentage of total population or eligible population?

Assuming total, because the numbers are lower than current numbers being reported in the media…

• Like 1

We'll get way ahead of you now - the leader of the alternative government here wants to give everyone $300 to get vaccinated 😮 I think I'll hold out for $500, maybe $1000 - just joking, unless I can qualify a 2nd time around.

So the health of you & your family and friends, & the community at large, and the chance for some sort of normal life for us all is not incentive enough?? 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mr walker said:

We'll get way ahead of you now - the leader of the alternative government here wants to give everyone $300 to get vaccinated 😮 I think I'll hold out for $500, maybe $1000 - just joking, unless I can qualify a 2nd time around.

So the health of you & your family and friends, & the community at large, and the chance for some sort of normal life for us all is not incentive enough?? 

Unfortunately Neil, it probably isn't enough incentive for some. In saying that, $300 probably isn't either for anti-vaxxers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gogo65 said:

To ensure we dont need to go to the third umpire, can we confirm if this is percentage of total population or eligible population?

Assuming total, because the numbers are lower than current numbers being reported in the media…

I think it must be total population.  But then it's total population when calculating the herd threshold so that makes sense.

9 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Unfortunately Neil, it probably isn't enough incentive for some. In saying that, $300 probably isn't either for anti-vaxxers.

I tend to agree. People either want to have the vaccine or they don't. There are others who are waiting for medical advice - there are two of those in my extended family. One has allergies to many medications/vaccines and the other has a compromised immune system.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I wonder what their price may be, like in the old expression "everyone has their price"? 🙂 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

There are others who are waiting for medical advice - there are two of those in my extended family. One has allergies to many medications/vaccines and the other has a compromised immune system.

And I can fully understand people having concerns & seeking medical advice, as there is a lot of 'information' feeding concerns. I accept that people with certain medical conditions/backgrounds are concerned & need to satisfy themselves via their doctor.

I do know some who were holding out for Pfizer & were even on a waiting list for it who have now jumped in and had AZ in view of current conditions.

Stay safe all.

25 minutes ago, mr walker said:

I wonder what their price may be, like in the old expression "everyone has their price"? 🙂 

In the US where they have offered lotteries with a million-dollar or other valuable prize and in other states, smaller incentives, it only encouraged people for a short time. Maybe these were the people who would have got the vaccination anyway, but hadn't got around to it. The 'anti's' will probably dig their toes in.

I am not in favour of the government offering a cash incentive. For some people, it would make them more suspicious of the government's motives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

There are others who are waiting for medical advice - there are two of those in my extended family.

These are the people the anti-vaxxers are willing to toss to one side. People who might not be able to take the vaccine for good reasons.

I have a great deal of sympathy for those that can't take the vaccine for medical reasons and who will suffer because of the stupidity of others if we can't reach herd immunity.

I have no sympathy left for these anti-vaxxer idiots. Unfortunately only 1-2% of them will suffer severe consequences for their decision, while another 10% or so may suffer long term covid complications. Not enough to have them change their minds. 😡

Just now, SinbadThePorter said:

These are the people the anti-vaxxers are willing to toss to one side. People who might not be able to take the vaccine for good reasons.

I have a great deal of sympathy for those that can't take the vaccine for medical reasons and who will suffer because of the stupidity of others if we can't reach herd immunity.

I have no sympathy left for these anti-vaxxer idiots. Unfortunately only 1-2% of them will suffer severe consequences for their decision, while another 10% or so may suffer long term covid complications. Not enough to have them change their minds. 😡

Agreed. The two people in my family I refer to are someone in her very early 70s and someone aged 40. They are not anti the vaccine, but have to be careful.

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

You do whatever it takes to get to herd immunity. Compared with the costs of a single lockdown it would be chicken feed.

It makes a change to see someone come up with an idea, good or bad, they've been scarce on the ground lately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am not in favour of the government offering a cash incentive. For some people, it would make them more suspicious of the government's motives.

Particularly for those who post on 'super private & secure'  social media expressing their concerns about the vaccine being a vehicle for the government to invade  their privacy. Some loonies insist that the vaccines include a microchip so they can be spied on - I am having trouble envisioning how the jabber manages to get the microchip thru the very small needle opening 🙂 

43 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

You do whatever it takes to get to herd immunity. Compared with the costs of a single lockdown it would be chicken feed.

It makes a change to see someone come up with an idea, good or bad, they've been scarce on the ground lately.

Well that one just adds to the tally of bad ones!

44 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Well that one just adds to the tally of bad ones!

It would only be a bad idea if it didn't work. In which case it would be an inexpensive idea.

I'm yet to see any good ideas coming from those politicians criticising it.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Trouble is he says before December, what chance of a Federal Election by then to give him the chance to implement it, yep zero or less.

On ABC news this morning, he was asked this and said he would like the government to take up the idea.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

On ABC news this morning, he was asked this and said he would like the government to take up the idea.

Yeah!  I can just see that. Albo can 'offer' the $300 knowing he will never have to do so. Even if his party is elected at the next election, by then the vax rate might be high enough that incentives are not required.

4 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

It would only be a bad idea if it didn't work. In which case it would be an inexpensive idea.

I'm yet to see any good ideas coming from those politicians criticising it.

Where do you place the General and Scotty’s multimillion dollars a week lotteries for getting vaccinated?

2 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

I'd like someone who knows what they are talking about to point me to the legal list of "rights" we have here in Australia. Not the yank ones some idiots think apply to us.

Yes, that always makes me laugh. Australia has no Bill of Rights like the US does. This is what we do have"

"There are five explicit individual rights in the Constitution. These are the right to vote (Section 41), protection against acquisition of property on unjust terms (Section 51 (xxxi)), the right to a trial by jury (Section 80), freedom of religion (Section 116) and prohibition of discrimination on the basis of State of residency (Section 117)."

23 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Remember it is not a race😉, though if we had been vaccinating at the rate of Bhutan we would have probably reach 80% by now😂

Bhutan did so well because they had no problem getting vaccines - several countries donated supplies.