The Daily for Thursday August 05, 2021

richwmn

8 minutes ago, garlictown said:

I am really out of the loop.....changes for HAL Alaska sailings?🤔🙃

Thanks, 

Katie

P.S. ...will miss Maui....😎

FB_IMG_1616176094372.jpg

I have something similar on my computer wallpaper, it's one of those resorts with cabanas built over the water on pier blocks, Fiji maybe?  To heck with the cruise, I'd be fine with a week at that place!  Especially if nobody else is there, ever notice beach photos are always deserted?

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, richwmn said:

With the changes announced yesterday I cancelled my Sep 4th Alaska cruise.

With a little more notice, I might have done differently, but today I got 100% back as FCC, tomorrow nothing.

Darn Rich. Sorry about that. As I understand it currently the pre testing requirement is just through Oct 31st. Hoping it's back to normal for our Holiday cruise (with you) in December. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Darn Rich. Sorry about that. As I understand it currently the pre testing requirement is just through Oct 31st. Hoping it's back to normal for our Holiday cruise (with you) in December. 

Still hoping for that one, but there are a lot of differences. If I need to I can drive to Fort Lauderdale so I have more options.

• Like 10

Oyster story in honor of the day.

In September 2019 we took the Los Angeles-Alaska roundtrip on the Royal Princess.  We'd never benn on that ship, and we were pleased to see that it had a Seafood Bar overlooking the Piazza.  Then we became even more excited when we saw a menu--among the offerings was Oysters on the Half-Shell.  Oysters on the Half-Shell are a big favorite of the XBGuys.

Our plan was to visit this seafood bar on sailaway day, but that plan fell apart.  No big deal.  On the next afternoon, we dropped by and found a table.  Soon enough a server came by and I ordered a bottle of Albarino, which I think goes very nicely with seafood in general and shellfish in particular.  Mrs. XBGuy asked the server, "Where are your oysters from?:

"Texas," came the reply.

"Uh oh," I thought.  I tried to ameliorate the situation. "There is an 'r' in 'September.'"

No dice.  Mrs. XBGuy will not eat warm-water oysters.

She could not believe that on a West Coast cruise, they were serving oysters from the Caribbean.

As you might imagine we were able to find an alternate selection to accompany our wine,  Talk about First World Problems.

Epilog.  We were subsequently able to get oysters in both Ketchikan and Skagway.  Regular "Daily" readers who are aware of my wine snobbery know that we had fermented grape juice on both those occasions.  As I recall we had a very nice Groth Sauvignon Blanc at the Ketchikan restaurant.  In Skagway we had a very interesting sparkler from Oregon

IMG_4984.jpg.05010cfb73e7f338f05349bad8fc11a1.jpg

• Like 18

29 minutes ago, bobpatj said:

I haven’t had much time to get to the Daily for a while.  We arrived in Seattle on Monday afternoon and have been enjoying our days with our son and family.  Our daughter and son-in-law arrived last night.  Our 60th Anniversary is today, and will celebrate in our son’s backyard, with the addition of our nephew and his wife! The weather is perfect. Hoping all works out for our cruise on Saturday.  So far, we’ll still be onboard.

HAPPY 60th ANNIVERSARY! 🥂

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, bobpatj said:

I haven’t had much time to get to the Daily for a while.  We arrived in Seattle on Monday afternoon and have been enjoying our days with our son and family.  Our daughter and son-in-law arrived last night.  Our 60th Anniversary is today, and will celebrate in our son’s backyard, with the addition of our nephew and his wife! The weather is perfect. Hoping all works out for our cruise on Saturday.  So far, we’ll still be onboard.

Happy 60th!  That's just fantastic!  Glad you could celebrate with the family.

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Good afternoon, everyone!

My goodness, so much going on here!  Love hearing the positives, but those posters with issues are certainly outweighing them. ☹️

I just finished “working like a dog” in the kitchen…making banana pudding (from scratch, and my first time 🙃) for DH’s birthday tomorrow.  I usually bake him a rhubarb pie, but he’s been slyly mentioning banana pudding for the past month or so.  Here in Florida you have to get your rhubarb frozen.

F8AEB0F5-B01C-410B-9BAA-FDE09C06C71D.thumb.jpeg.12ccfc1e9a170fd92cdfa2aac19dd921.jpeg

Love oysters steamed, grilled or Rockefeller — forget raw!  These are the Rockefeller’s we made for this past NYE.

92DF4212-5E81-4E4F-87E6-4AFF89468AB7.thumb.jpeg.ea99b63ae4660bdc1190ea1c31f9e444.jpeg

52AC5D99-C8AC-446E-A984-BD87C3B7F588.thumb.jpeg.ec15a9582d67de636fb009615a93d758.jpeg

I have noticed that I have to refresh my iPad screen whenever I get the message that I can’t “like” a post.

On my tablet refreshing doesn't help.  Not sure if this is a fix for the tablet, but after I clicked in a poster's post count then returned to the posts, the like button started working again.  The gremlins are having fun playing with us.

Lenda

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, bobpatj said:

Happy 60th!

Wow! Just Wow!

• Like 11

52 minutes ago, bobpatj said:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

With a little more notice, I might have done differently, but today I got 100% back as FCC, tomorrow nothing.

Too bad, but understandable.

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, bobpatj said:

Congratulations on your 60th wedding anniversary.

Hope your cruise on Saturday is amazing.

Graham.

• Like 9

Like I've already told you, we'll miss seeing you in Seattle before your cruise. 😞  But one thing for certain, "the gang" will sail together again!

• Like 11

Good afternoon, fellow Dailyites!  Just spent the morning trying to figure out where I could get my COVID PCR test locally and have results prior to boarding NA. Walgreens was a “no go” so then I started scrambling.  Then, easiest of all- the local Health Dept. has results in 24-36 hours.

So happy to see Miss  Camilla doing her wave.  She is so beautiful and, of course, so loved.  Prayers for those in various health crises.  I can so relate to the problems that Tana is facing, after watching my DH for so long.

This is our third day of intense smoke.  At least we have found out the origin.  My thoughts and prayers for those in  California, Oregon and Washington.  Wishing that your fires could be controlled!

I woke up at 2:30 am and couldn’t get back to sleep for a couple of hours, so I think a nap is in order.  Does that count as working like a dog?

Have a wonderful rest of the day.  Happy Anniversary to those celebrating!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

Good Morning,

A bit late today, this latest covid testing requirement has everybody scrambling.  We're just going to roll with it.  Try and get appointments and hope for the best.  If we can't sail it's not the end of the world, I've always felt it would be a 50/50 chance anyway.  We can always do a couple of local trips like we did last year if we can't.  The important thing is avoiding the virus and staying healthy.  And there are other things to look forward to, like Fall, and the holiday season!

It's cooled down this morning but the smell from the wildfire smoke is so bad I had to close the windows.  Forecasts continue to predict rain and now it's not so much getting moisture as it is clearing out the air.  Not sure how long we'll benefit, the heat will be returning next week.  The upside are that the days are gradually shortening, summer will be forced out at some point.  

Underwear has a very interesting history, probably not appropriate for the daily, but it was a good read on Wikipedia.  They were once referred to as "unmentionables". Blessings, thoughts, and prayers to those that need them.  Thanks to all the listers!

Have a great day!

Check with Urgent Care Clinics I got one a few months ago and it was quick and a lot cheaper than the one I received at CVS.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

A  very  good  morning  to  everyone and  thanks  so  much  for  the Daily.  I  am  so  glad  that  underwear  has  it's  own day. I  love  oysters  and  would  work  like  a  dog  if  I  could  be  like  Fred.He  seems  to  enjoy  his  life  and  is  always  curious. Yesterday  we  sat  on  the  front  steps  and  watched the  Con  Edison  workers  dig  up  a  section  of  the  street. Very  entertaining.

I  promise  not  to  bore  people  with  endless  baby  pictures  but  I  had  to  have  one  with  Miss  Camilla  in  the  arms  of  her  Great  Grandma yesterday.  Things  seem  to  be  going  well  so  we  are  all  breathing  a  sign  of  relief.

Tana  remains  in  the  hospital   and  can  now  have  no  visitors. We  face  time  her  during  dinner so  that  she  can  see  her  son   and  the  dog who  sits  under  the  table  when  we  eat. She  is  on  oxygen and  IV  antibiotics  again.

Have  a  very  good  day  everyone  and  thanks  again  for  the  support.

Terry

where are those pictures? I don't see them.

• Like 3

That’s a shame Rich.

I know what you are talking about with the FCC, but, FWIW, HAL should be doing something more and extending the Cruise with Confidence timeline with the changes that are happening right now so people could hang in and figure things out.  JMO.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Too bad, you'd think they would make some adjustments to that because of the sudden changes that have been made to the sailings.

OMG echo.  I said the same thing when Rich posted.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Check with Urgent Care Clinics I got one a few months ago and it was quick and a lot cheaper than the one I received at CVS.

Forgot to mention I walked out with a certified negative Covid certificate and the whole process took 30 minutes.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon, apparently I caught a bug from DH on this cruise.  I found a nice ring downtown and at his urging I bought it.  While waiting for the ring to be sized we grabbed lunch. I tried an elk burger at 108 Tap House in Ketchikan.   It was very good, DH got a regular burger.

Talking with some of the shop owners makes me feel sad.  Many are struggling to stay open so their are deals to be had.  Let's hope things improve for next year. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobpatj said:

Wow~ 60 years!  Happy Anniversary

FE6EB625-7664-4CF3-8706-FCE6C89DEA62.thumb.jpeg.586207ccc4b62adcf76a8fbfcf8e9b5b.jpeg

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Afternoon, apparently I caught a bug from DH on this cruise.  I found a nice ring downtown and at his urging I bought it.  While waiting for the ring to be sized we grabbed lunch. I tried an elk burger at 108 Tap House in Ketchikan.   It was very good, DH got a regular burger.

Talking with some of the shop owners makes me feel sad.  Many are struggling to stay open so their are deals to be had.  Let's hope things improve for next year. 

Yay on the new ring and the elk burger 👍 

I can believe the struggle that the shop owners are facing 😔 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bobpatj said:

Forgive me for posting your picture Pat and Bob @bobpatj but I thought this is most appropriate .

Happy 60th Anniversary ! And many , many more ! 

IMG_7177.thumb.JPG.1c8e5cabfd4f4271a63938901c637860.JPG

Martha and Tony .😄😄
  • Like 20