Royal email "You volunteered, here’s what’s next!"

Baowen

FYI: Remember these are working cruises and you can be a "designated guest"

Designated Guests will be unable to access certain venues onboard and in private island destinations. Additionally, Designated Guests will be required to undergo SARS-CoV-2 testing in one or more occasions, will have to wear well-fitting masks at all times (except where otherwise indicated by Sponsor), and may have to undertake certain quarantine or other evacuation simulations during the Simulated Voyage. Designated Guests may be unable to disembark at some or all ports of call for the Simulated Voyage and may not be able to participate in some or all of the shore excursions offered during a Simulated Voyage.

2 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Count on it.  You can't just receive a "gift" of that value without the IRS noticing.

Mmm...but isn't there a $600 pp per year allowed prize amount that you don't need to claim. The ARV on this is $650 so does that mean $50 taxable? Either way it isn't too bad ($1300 total for a husband and wife going together). Or is the $650 ARV for the whole cabin? If so then $650 for a couple ($325 each)....does that require taxes paid?  How is 6 nights VS 2 nights both $650 ARV anyway?

7 minutes ago, laumicmah said:

Mmm...but isn't there a $600 pp per year allowed prize amount that you don't need to claim. The ARV on this is $650 so does that mean $50 taxable? Either way it isn't too bad ($1300 total for a husband and wife going together). Or is the $650 ARV for the whole cabin? If so then $650 for a couple ($325 each)....does that require taxes paid?  How is 6 nights VS 2 nights both $650 ARV anyway?

No the $600 is the threshold that they will send you and the IRS a tax form . Even if you win $100 you are supposed to still claim it.

Beth

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, thewebbys said:

FYI: Remember these are working cruises and you can be a "designated guest"

Designated Guests will be unable to access certain venues onboard and in private island destinations. Additionally, Designated Guests will be required to undergo SARS-CoV-2 testing in one or more occasions, will have to wear well-fitting masks at all times (except where otherwise indicated by Sponsor), and may have to undertake certain quarantine or other evacuation simulations during the Simulated Voyage. Designated Guests may be unable to disembark at some or all ports of call for the Simulated Voyage and may not be able to participate in some or all of the shore excursions offered during a Simulated Voyage.

I think that I read in the previous simulated cruises, the Royal Caribbean employees were chosen as the unvaccinated guests.

Beth

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, deb1eric said:

The Ovation simulation test cruise I participated in was 5N, Seattle to Ketchika

5 hours ago, deb1eric said:

How did you find out you were selected?  Did the email or call?

On Jul 23rd, I received an email that I'd been selected and requested I RSVP as soon as possible, as the OV test began Jul 30th!

I believe I had submitted my name to volunteer quite awhile ago. I seldom log onto FB, so it must have been in reply to a RC email requesting volunteers.  Not sure if it was the absolute criteria but we are Pinnacle.

Then a few days later was selected to do the Indy test cruise from Galveston, but the dates overlapped the OV test.

I submitted my entry and wish as suggested earlier that I was given the opportunity to opt into being considered for a specific cruise.  I was invited to the two earlier test cruises and declined due to the last-miunut air fare and hotel fees, but can drive to Bayonne on Aug. 22nd. In fact, I had a GS for the original Aug. 22n 7 night sailing before it was cancelled.  Hoping that i can join this test cruise.

Sophie

8 minutes ago, MaritimeR&R said:

I submitted my entry and wish as suggested earlier that I was given the opportunity to opt into being considered for a specific cruise.  I was invited to the two earlier test cruises and declined due to the last-miunut air fare and hotel fees, but can drive to Bayonne on Aug. 22nd

Yes, I think high schoolers could have put together a better business solicitation!

I'm on the east coast (DC suburbs) and already checked Amtrak & flights for all 3 tests, j.i.c.

Amtrak to Newark Penn as low as $29 coach, $74 business class.  Very reasonable r/t SW flights to Houston Hobby for < $250.

I'd probably pass on the 2N Mariner as outbound flights to MCO are unusually $$$$, but return flights are priced well.

4 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

If you are Diamond, you can still submit additional entries until you lose count in the middle of the night and make 13 submissions (excluding the additional loyalty entries).  Thought there would be some kind of an automatic cutoff.  

Thanks so much @ZoeyVictoria !!

I wonder if I can enter more. I did 6 times. Didn't know if they counted the 2 being gold. Not sure if I clicked on the specific for extra entries link or the one that counts the added C&A entries. Both are the exact same form so...

Edited by laumicmah

23 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Can I ask a dumb question: are these sim cruises FREE?  You get to go for nothing because they need guinea pigs?

It cost us $2.00 for the both of us on the Allure. We had to pay for drinks and internet if we wanted to. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, allisonb22 said:

does anyone know when we will find out if we are selected? and do we get notice either way- even if we are not chosen? 

i obviously have a preference which sailing i would like to do- do they give you any kind of choice? i will happily take any of them, just wondering for those who have sailed the test cruises. 

Check the link.

8 hours ago, lorimay said:

The only one of the cruises near us is the Mariner from Port Canaveral. That is scheduled for August 11. Can they really organize the passengers in less than a week? 

They did for the Allure. It was just a couple of days before I found out.

Edited by ReneeFLL

16 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I saw that. WTH?

Matt S. from the RoyalC blog site said the following, which makes total sense:

"I think that has to do with U.S. laws concerning sweepstakes, of which this is technically one.

Remember the old "no purchase necessary to win" statement? Same basic idea.

Otherwise I think it falls into a different category (raffle?) and there are different rules."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baowen said:

I think that I read in the previous simulated cruises, the Royal Caribbean employees were chosen as the unvaccinated guests.

Beth

I met a couple on Coco Cay that weren’t employees and were considered “unvaccinated”. Also when we were checking in Mike heard a couple being told they were also in the “unvaccinated” group and were told to go to a different area to be checked in.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, la_croisiere_s&#x27;amuse said:

Unfortunately the simulation cruises are only two nights, regardless of the length of the cruise when it's carrying paying passengers. Of course, in today's climate anything can change, but all of the simulation cruises so far have been just the two nights.

It makes sense, really--since they're not generating any revenue, it's not a smart move to keep the passengers on board longer than necessary. But for those of us who have to fly to the port, it makes it a lot less appealing. 😕

I returned yesterday from a four-night simulation cruise on Indy.  They are varying lengths.

Just now, ReneeFLL said:

I met a couple on Coco Cay that weren’t employees and were considered “unvaccinated”. Also when we were checking in Mike heard a couple being told they were also in the “unvaccinated” group and were told to go to a different area to be checked in.

In the new rules it states, "Sponsor will randomly select Designated Guests and will communicate such Designated Guest status to each Guest in an email not less than three (3) days prior to the Simulated Voyage." 

People will be allowed to cancel at that time if they wish. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/terms-and-conditions/volunteers-of-the-seas

8 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

In the new rules it states, "Sponsor will randomly select Designated Guests and will communicate such Designated Guest status to each Guest in an email not less than three (3) days prior to the Simulated Voyage." 

People will be allowed to cancel at that time if they wish. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/terms-and-conditions/volunteers-of-the-seas

3 days will be tough for Mariner leaving on the 11th

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, lovelife said:

I returned yesterday from a four-night simulation cruise on Indy.  They are varying lengths.

Can you tell use about it?  Is the MDR open are do you have to pay for your meals at the speciality dining options

Edited by deb1eric

1 minute ago, deb1eric said:

Can you use about it?  Is the MDR open are do you have to pay for your meals at the speciality dining options

MDR was open on the test cruise.  Windjammer was open for breakfast and lunch only.  We got half off all specialty food, drinks, Internet, etc.  Just shy of 400 passengers on board and it was glorious!  Not sure what you mean "can you use about it."