RCL - Catch 22

Empehi

My wife and I are vaccinated and do not want to cruise under the new protocols. We booked our next cruise (November, 2022) on board a Feb 2021 cruise and the final payment day is rapidly approaching. Our question .... if we make the final payment and the current protocols are in place, can we cancel and get a cash refund or are we only able to get a FCC?

We never would have put a deposit down to cruise under the current conditions. We are more than willing to make the final payment in hopes the protocols will be changed by November (no mask wearing and vaccination requirements) but we feel playing roulette with our vacation and well as our vacation dollars is something RCL should begin to understand and address. We have a non-refundable deposit (why not it was before COVID).

• Like 1

I understand... we canceled out AOS cruise... just one protocol change too many for me.... but final payment for our Nov cruise is just around the corner. I am seriously considering canceling... we booked on another cruise so the deposit is only $200....  I am thinking that we should go back to the way we used to cruise. We waited until the last minute and booked with in a few weeks of cruising.... less stress and often good pricing.. of course it depends upon itinerary and cabin availability... but since we don't mind partially obstructed cabins... it worked well... and we held on to our money longer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

I presume you meant November 2021? If so, I’d expect the current protocols to continue through year end.

Yes I meant 2021 .... so I make final payment, the protocols are in place, will I be able to get a cash refund?

5 minutes ago, Empehi said:

Yes I meant 2021 .... so I make final payment, the protocols are in place, will I be able to get a cash refund?

I can't answer your question but I know what you're saying and I'm in the same boat for our Feb 2022 cruise. I'm not cruising under these protocols and don't mind waiting it out one bit, no matter how long it takes. There are endless land based vacation options to choose from in the meantime. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

There are endless land based vacation options to choose from in the meantime. 

The problem with land based vacations is there are absolutely no protocols in place that will minimize your risk of infection. At least in a “controlled” environment on a cruise ship you have a fighting chance of avoiding getting Covid.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The problem with land based vacations is there are absolutely no protocols in place that will minimize your risk of infection. At least in a “controlled” environment on a cruise ship you have a fighting chance of avoiding getting Covid.

The OP said they're vaccinated.  That in itself (IMO at least) gives them a "fighting chance" to avoid getting Covid.  

To say nothing about various businesses doing extra cleaning, requiring masks, etc (similar to cruise lines).  Please don't make it sound like someone is extra super safe on a cruise and they're not on land. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Empehi said:

Though I cannot answer for sure, common sense would tell me that if you make final payment WITH all of the protocols in place, you are essentially accepting these protocols as a condition of your cruise.  

I agree that you deposited with no expectation of the current protocols.  Putting MORE money down, now that the protocols are there, may imply acceptance and limit chance of a cash refund. (at least, that is how I would picture RCL's lawyers looking at it).

I have a cruise booked for March 2022 with final payment in December.  I can tell you right now...if anything resembling these protocols are in place, I will not make that final payment.  I want a more stable environment and expectations, not one that is changing weekly.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We live on land everyday without protocols. I don't see how a week on a cruise ship is going to change that. Plus people are getting sick on a cruise even if vaccinated.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

The OP said they're vaccinated.  That in itself (IMO at least) gives them a "fighting chance" to avoid getting Covid.  

To say nothing about various businesses doing extra cleaning, requiring masks, etc (similar to cruise lines).  Please don't make it sound like someone is extra super safe on a cruise and they're not on land. 

You are entitled to your opinion as i am to mine, and IMO you are safer in an environment where everyone is vaccinated, the environment itself is meticulously cleaned than you are on land where there is no way to know whether the next person/place/thing you come in contact with is contaminated. I’ll take the sea over the sidewalk any day under the current conditions.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, orville99 said:

You are entitled to your opinion as i am to mine, and IMO you are safer in an environment where everyone is vaccinated, the environment itself is meticulously cleaned than you are on land where there is no ay to know whether the next person/place/thing you come in contact with is contaminated. I’ll take the sea over the sidewalk any day under the current conditions.

How much safer?  Say you go from a 1% chance of catching COVID on land to a 0.1% chance on a ship.  Is that really a drastic enough difference?  Not to me.  YMMV. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

have you heard of the delta variant, by any chance?

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

We live on land everyday without protocols.

I don't know about you, but we have protocols. We are required to wear masks when we are in the office/at customer sites by our global employer, and also adhere to strict Covid prevention protocols. Children in our school district are required to wear masks and adhere to strict Covid-mitigating protocols. Thank goodness for that, because our state is seeing a 400% increase in infection rates, and it keeps growing, thanks to delta, while no remote school options are being offered. So, yes, we do live on land with protocols.

8 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

How much safer?  Say you go from a 1% chance of catching COVID on land to a 0.1% chance on a ship.  Is that really a drastic enough difference?  Not to me.  YMMV. 

That’s why we are sailing and you are not.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2

I just cancelled my cruise that was fully paid and is to sail Aug. 22. Too difficult to get the required test 3 days prior to the cruise, plus I don't want to spend a lot of money and then have to wear a mask indoors. Would rather stay home. Anyway, they are refunding my money, although it will take up to 45 days.

I agree with @Biker19.  The past 2 months have allowed you to cancel for a full refund if you are not comfortable with the vaxx protocols (this included getting a cash refund for all of the CWC FCC's that were applied to your cruise too, BTW) however, those "rules" are re-issued monthly.  Who knows if the same rules will apply, going forward.

Unsure if this helps.. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

If you prefer the lower value in a full refund instead of the 125% Future Cruise Credit, we’re happy to process this for you.

• We’ll then deactivate your Future Cruise Credit and process your refund to your original form(s) of payment, which will include any non-refundable deposits.

• To avoid waiting on the phone to cancel, please click here and we will get the process started for you. Note: Please know, once we receive your refund request, we unfortunately won’t be able to accept an FCC request if you change your mind.

• You can expect to receive your refund 45 days after you submit your request.

• Please note: If you used a Cruise with Confidence certificate on this sailing, and you request a refund instead, we’ll refund any NEW funds paid above the certificate amount, and we’ll reinstate your original Cruise with Confidence certificate.

Frequently Asked Questions

• Until when can I request a full refund?

1 hour ago, Empehi said:

Yes-  I am also debating whether to make final payment for a November cruise that is due is a couple of weeks or just take the $100 FCC for the deposit

3 minutes ago, Empehi said:

Should we make the final payment or not?

If the protocols go away then you'll want to cruise, if they don't, they will likely allow full refunds, so, I would make final payment.

Edited by Biker19

43 minutes ago, orville99 said:

I'm not scared of getting Covid one bit, never have been. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Empehi said:

That is the Catch 22. You want to cruise but without the current protocols. Should we make the final payment or not?

Personal choice, I believe. We made our November final payment but we are willing to go with the current protocols in place. To each his/her own, I guess! Good luck! Cheers!

• Like 3