Carnival Testing for Vaccinated Passengers update

BlerkOne

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/return-to-service-faqs

Are fully vaccinated guests required to take a pre-travel COVID-19 test?

Effective with cruises departing on Saturday, August 14, 2021, we will require ALL fully vaccinated guests to produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 3 days of their embarkation on all Carnival Cruise Line sailings. For example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday through Friday. Guests may also take the test on the morning of embarkation so long as they are guaranteed to receive their test results before their time of check-in.

Fully vaccinated guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test along with proof of full vaccination upon arrival in the terminal. Testing in the terminal will not be available for vaccinated guests so it’s critical that guests have their negative test results with them upon arrival at the cruise terminal. We will not be able to accommodate guests without proof of a negative test.

Carnival does not endorse any particular testing provider, but guests will find multiple locations to schedule a COVID PCR or antigen test near their home or embarkation port of their cruise. For example, CVS Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window. and Walgreens Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window. have nationwide locations offering COVID-19 testing.

Any guest with signs and symptoms of COVID-19, or who are identified at-risk, will be referred for additional medical screening before allowing them to board.

What kind of pre-cruise COVID-19 tests are acceptable guests?

Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Antigen tests include (acceptable for fully vaccinated guests only):

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include (acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests):

• PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above) are acceptable.

Is a self-test acceptable?

Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please note, antigen tests are accepted for fully vaccinated guests, but not for unvaccinated guests.
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

What kind of proof of testing will Carnival accept?

Acceptable proof of PCR/antigen COVID-19 testing is as follows:

• Laboratory test record
  • Digital certificate
  • Healthcare record

The results must show:

• First and last name
  • Date of birth
  • Type of test (indicating it is a NAAT or antigen test)
  • Date and time the sample was taken
  • Test result is stated as "NEGATIVE" or "NOT DETECTED"
  • Laboratory or testing site, and/or healthcare provider details

If there is doubt as to the authenticity or validity of the test, and the testing facility or healthcare provider is not able to be contacted for verification purposes, embarkation may be denied.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection

I’ll have to look into the self test sold by Sam’s Club to see if it has this included.  Their test only costs $20.

Edited to say it probably doesn’t qualify.  No mention of observation.

Edited by TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail

23 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

I’ll have to look into the self test sold by Sam’s Club to see if it has this included.  Their test only costs $20.

Edited to say it probably doesn’t qualify.  No mention of observation.

I researched that test, and you are right, it does not qualify.  It is a package of two individual tests; they recommend one person taking both tests three  weeks apart, but it could easily be used by two people.  Just not for cruising 😢

Thanks BlerkOne for the very thorough breakdown of all acceptable pre-boarding tests.  We have an interesting situation in January where we are scheduled to cruise on the Liberty and Magic both out of Port Canaveral but there is a day between the 2 cruises (Liberty goes from 10-14 January, we disembark and then get on the Magic the next day).  Do you guys think that Carnival would test us at the end of our Liberty cruise so that we can get on the Magic?  Technically it's not a back to back or side to side cruise so we are concerned about how to get tested before getting on the Magic.

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/return-to-service-faqs

Are fully vaccinated guests required to take a pre-travel COVID-19 test?

Effective with cruises departing on Saturday, August 14, 2021, we will require ALL fully vaccinated guests to produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 3 days of their embarkation on all Carnival Cruise Line sailings. For example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday through Friday. Guests may also take the test on the morning of embarkation so long as they are guaranteed to receive their test results before their time of check-in.

Fully vaccinated guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test along with proof of full vaccination upon arrival in the terminal. Testing in the terminal will not be available for vaccinated guests so it’s critical that guests have their negative test results with them upon arrival at the cruise terminal. We will not be able to accommodate guests without proof of a negative test.

Carnival does not endorse any particular testing provider, but guests will find multiple locations to schedule a COVID PCR or antigen test near their home or embarkation port of their cruise. For example, CVS Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window. and Walgreens Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window. have nationwide locations offering COVID-19 testing.

Any guest with signs and symptoms of COVID-19, or who are identified at-risk, will be referred for additional medical screening before allowing them to board.

What kind of pre-cruise COVID-19 tests are acceptable guests?

Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Antigen tests include (acceptable for fully vaccinated guests only):

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include (acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests):

• PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above) are acceptable.

Is a self-test acceptable?

Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please note, antigen tests are accepted for fully vaccinated guests, but not for unvaccinated guests.
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

What kind of proof of testing will Carnival accept?

Acceptable proof of PCR/antigen COVID-19 testing is as follows:

• Laboratory test record
  • Digital certificate
  • Healthcare record

The results must show:

• First and last name
  • Date of birth

If there is doubt as to the authenticity or validity of the test, and the testing facility or healthcare provider is not able to be contacted for verification purposes, embarkation may be denied.

Thanks for the helpful info.....Just to clear it up....I can use a self test for the ANTIGEN, if I am fully vaccinated? I don't need to make a trip to CVS/WALGREENS,etc.   Is this  a reversal of previous information that indicated you could not use self testing? 

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The results must show:

• First and last name
  • Date of birth

Does anyone have a screenshot of the result from an eMed test that they could post (without privacy information!)? It appears that the screenshots of the test result online are missing some of this information, and i'd hate for someone to get turned away at the terminal because of this

results-pass-for-covid-test.jpg

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

apologies if this has been discussed.  Is Carnival testing onboard at all during cruise?

Carnival is doing some testing during the cruise, but not a lot of it.  These groups get tested:

• Unvaccinated cruisers are tested the day before disembarking
  • Back-to-back cruisers are tested the day everyone else disembarks
  • Anyone is tested if they show symptoms
  • Close contacts of confirmed positive cases are tested
1 hour ago, vacruisin said:

Thanks BlerkOne for the very thorough breakdown of all acceptable pre-boarding tests.  We have an interesting situation in January where we are scheduled to cruise on the Liberty and Magic both out of Port Canaveral but there is a day between the 2 cruises (Liberty goes from 10-14 January, we disembark and then get on the Magic the next day).  Do you guys think that Carnival would test us at the end of our Liberty cruise so that we can get on the Magic?  Technically it's not a back to back or side to side cruise so we are concerned about how to get tested before getting on the Magic.

That's a very interesting question.  My guess (and it's strictly that) is the answer is "no".  They're testing B2B passengers, but that's partially because it's in the CDC's CSO order and might go away when that goes away at the end of October.  In addition, I've heard that passengers from other countries that need tests to re-enter their home countries are being denied on-board tests from Carnival.

But the fact that the answer is no today (if indeed it is no) doesn't mean that it will be no tomorrow.  I suggest keeping an eye on things.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Carnival is doing some testing during the cruise, but not a lot of it.  These groups get tested:

• Unvaccinated cruisers are tested the day before disembarking
  • Back-to-back cruisers are tested the day everyone else disembarks
  • Anyone is tested if they show symptoms
  • Close contacts of confirmed positive cases are tested

That's a very interesting question.  My guess (and it's strictly that) is the answer is "no".  They're testing B2B passengers, but that's partially because it's in the CDC's CSO order and might go away when that goes away at the end of October.  In addition, I've heard that passengers from other countries that need tests to re-enter their home countries are being denied on-board tests from Carnival.

But the fact that the answer is no today (if indeed it is no) doesn't mean that it will be no tomorrow.  I suggest keeping an eye on things.

thanks.  We had to use some AA credits by November 9 so booked a quick 5 day sensation cruise out of Mobile.   Not very happy re the testing for vaccinated but have had to do it 2x before returning to USA from Mexico with being fully vaccinated so I will play along.  I just was curious if they were testing onboard before disembarking as they do on land vacations.

• Thanks 1

For me the big part of this is that they are accepting the ID Now rapid test. You should be able to get it at pretty much every Walgreens in the country, for free, in 15 minutes. It falls under the Isothermal Amplification category. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

thanks.  We had to use some AA credits by November 9 so booked a quick 5 day sensation cruise out of Mobile.   Not very happy re the testing for vaccinated but have had to do it 2x before returning to USA from Mexico with being fully vaccinated so I will play along.  I just was curious if they were testing onboard before disembarking as they do on land vacations.

I dont think anyone is clear, they may retest unvaccinated and unvaccinated are tested within 24 hours before they debark. If you feel I'll they will test. 

Not sure what your question was exactly. 

1 hour ago, topaz123 said:

Thanks for the helpful info.....Just to clear it up....I can use a self test for the ANTIGEN, if I am fully vaccinated? I don't need to make a trip to CVS/WALGREENS,etc.   Is this  a reversal of previous information that indicated you could not use self testing? 

You can, but not just any self test. The entirety of the self test process must be monitored and certified by a telehealth company. That is more of a pain, imo, than a 15 minute trip to Walgreens.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I dont think anyone is clear, they may retest unvaccinated and unvaccinated are tested within 24 hours before they debark. If you feel I'll they will test. 

Not sure what your question was exactly. 

I was curious if carnival did testing during the cruise prior to disembarking to the US.  I wasn't sure if the same rules applied to cruises as does air travel from other countries.  For instance, I had to be tested for covid 3 days prior to my return from Cozumel to USA.  Does this apply to a cruise?

Edited by jean87510

1 minute ago, jean87510 said:

I was curious if carnival did testing during the cruise prior to disembarking to the US.  I wasn't sure if the same rules applied to cruises as does air travel from other countries.  For instance, I had to be tested for covid 3 days prior to my return from Cozumel to USA.  Does this apply to a cruise?

No it doesnt apply to cruises. Just unvaccinated are tested .. unless they are positive and the  parents etc. 

Cruisers are exempt to that self test rule to reenter usa.

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

Carnival tests UNVACCINATED cruisers prior to debarkation. They will test vaccinated cruisers doing a b2b. Everybody else is on their own.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival tests UNVACCINATED cruisers prior to debarkation. They will test vaccinated cruisers doing a b2b. Everybody else is on their own.

So the passenger who is going on another Carnival ship a day later and would need a test for the second sailing could get one on the first ship if not vaccinated, but not get one if vaccinated? Please tell us all how this makes sense.

• Like 2

This may be an obvious question, but I've never gotten insurance or really worried about it before.

My husband and I are vaccinated and are thinking about booking a cruise for the first week of November.  If we book and test positive before our cruise, what kind of insurance would we have to have to get our money back for the cruise?  Or, is this even possible.  I obviously don't plan on getting covid before boarding, but who knows what will happen before then.

Anyway, just curious what happens if you're positive and can't sail.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

So the passenger who is going on another Carnival ship a day later and would need a test for the second sailing could get one on the first ship if not vaccinated, but not get one if vaccinated? Please tell us all how this makes sense.

I am the one that asked that question about getting tested before our cruise on the Magic in January when we are booked on the Liberty the week before that sailing (we get off the Liberty on Friday and get on the Magic the next day).  I called Carnival and the rep, while very nice, was not very helpful.  She didn't know the answer to my inquiry so she emailed another department and was eventually told that we need to go to the Guest Services desk once we board the Liberty and ask if they would test us before disembarkment so that we'd be good for boarding the Magic the next day.  That of course is not a good answer.

We have decided to wait until close to Final Payment date for the Liberty (which is October 27) to see if the protocols beyond October change as far as testing requirements for vaccinated cruisers.  If not, we'll probably just cancel the Liberty cruise (a 4 day cruise) and just go on the Magic (an 8 day cruise that is already paid in full).  

Edited by vacruisin

12 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

My guess is that it is a very unusual occurrence and they haven't taken this possibility into account. I'd recommend contacting Carnival and seeing if they will provide the test given the unusual situation. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

My guess is that it is a very unusual occurrence and they haven't taken this possibility into account. I'd recommend contacting Carnival and seeing if they will provide the test given the unusual situation. 

And if you read the previous post, you will see that they did contact Carnival. And the first answer, not surprisingly, was I don't know I need to contact a different department. (Actually, that is a better answer than making up something you do not know.) And the final answer was you will have to ask that on the ship which of course left the one who asked it with nothing useful.

I do agree that it is a somewhat unique situation, but they have to think these things through. Here's another one, what if their next cruise was on a different cruise line. Would that make a difference, or would the cruise lines as a courtesy to each other provide the necessary test?

• Like 1