Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

58 minutes ago, kruzkraziness said:

We were on the Ruby Princess in November. We had a table for 2 every night, but the tables were soooo close together it was like we were at one large table.  There were open tables but they inevitably put us smack dab next to other people.  It was a little awkward. We are on the Majestic in February, I am hoping for a better experience.  That said, the food was great.

One way to avoid that close spacing is to ask for a table for 2 with 2 chairs. Those tables are often spaced out a bit more than the row of two tops that have a banquet on the backside and a chair on the outside. Those 2 tops are barely spaced enough for someone to get through to the banquet seat. Not to mention, I find the banquet seat pretty uncomfortable as compared to a chair.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Well, that scares me.  I’m not going on the Ruby.  Dining or bars are the most likely areas to get covid if you’re so close.

Did you ask to be moved to a socially distant table?  
They did that to probably make it easier for them to serve everyone.  

I'd rather have some decent personal space when dining anytime.  Doesn't matter to me if now or another time.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dbld777 said:

One way to avoid that close spacing is to ask for a table for 2 with 2 chairs. Those tables are often spaced out a bit more than the row of two tops that have a banquet on the backside and a chair on the outside. Those 2 tops are barely spaced enough for someone to get through to the banquet seat. Not to mention, I find the banquet seat pretty uncomfortable as compared to a chair.

Is banquet the same as a booth seat?

8 hours ago, kruzkraziness said:

We were on the Ruby Princess in November. We had a table for 2 every night, but the tables were soooo close together it was like we were at one large table.  There were open tables but they inevitably put us smack dab next to other people.  It was a little awkward. We are on the Majestic in February, I am hoping for a better experience.  That said, the food was great.

I so hope they bring back TD, but that said, I just got off the Ruby today and I know exactly what you are speaking to.  We had a table for 2 that was separate for our 15 days.  We got lucky.  I don’t see how they have the room to have spaced tables of 2.  I understand their dilemma.

16 hours ago, kruzkraziness said:

We were at a table like that pre-Covid and I wasn't a fan then, even less now. Nothing like trying to have a private conversation and pretend you can't hear the couples next to you. Very awkward. I wish they would do away with those tables.

• Like 5

On 1/31/2022 at 5:37 PM, Steelers36 said:

I'd rather have some decent personal space when dining anytime.  Doesn't matter to me if now or another time.  

We also like a table by ourselves and away from everyone.  Is it possible to talk with the Maitre' D anymore now that everything is automated and there is no time to talk with the Maitre' D on day one?  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ozziebound said:

Sorry one more question… we’re on the discovery princess - and have a suite (premium suite). 
should we book in one of the main dining rooms or will we be in club class dining? Thanks 

Full suites are entitled to club class dining plus the 'suite' breakfast held on most ships in Sabatinis but having never been on the Sky Princess I'm not certain where it is held.  I'm sure someone will chime in with the correct venue.

10 minutes ago, ozziebound said:

Sorry one more question… we’re on the discovery princess - and have a suite (premium suite). 
should we book in one of the main dining rooms or will we be in club class dining? Thanks 

Please don't book a table in a MDR as you get Club Class.  UNLESS, you are booking with a friend who doesn't have CC dining. CC dining has always been in the Deck 6 mid-ship DR.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ozziebound said:

In fact, if you try and book a table using the app, a message appears stating that no reservation us required,  as you have club dining.  

• Like 1

I have asked about this in the Ocean Medallion thread but still can't get a table for two . I'll start from the beginning :-

Has anyone else had a problem booking dining on board. As we are going to be Elite on next cruise we can get into the Dine My Way even though we have over 6 months to go. I tried booking for between 5 and 6 o'clock each night but can only get tables that say Table Shared with other guests ( except 1st night where it says Table for Two) I have tried changing from fast to relaxed and even tried later times all say Table Shared with other guests. I have put table anywhere in dining room rather than specify by window etc. Normally we like sharing with others but in these Covid times with people being isolated if someone they shared with later tested positive we would rather not. I have tried contacting Princess but there is no one you can speak to who can help with this. They just said try and speak to someone on board, which would be too late everyone would have booked by then. Any ideas anyone or has anyone got a contact e mail that actually works. Any help much appreciated. 

I can't see anywhere it asked how many on table other that when I go in to book it just shows myself and husband. Plus it has given me a table for two the first night .  Is there somewhere you specifically request table for 2 

I am just puzzled that with over 6 month to go and booking early dining times which is normally nearly empty we can't get tables for two. Even the Princess Lady I just spoke to was puzzled and said something must be wrong here but still said she couldn't do anything. It also only gave me a choice of one Dining Room which isn't a problem if we had tables for two. 

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

In fact, if you try and book a table using the app, a message appears stating that no reservation us required,  as you have club dining.  

The best thing for folks in CC who want to dine with others in regular DR space, is have the friends add them as Travel Companions and then book a table.  Or just do it on request at the door if a 1-off.

3 hours ago, amajaa said:

I have asked about this in the Ocean Medallion thread but still can't get a table for two . I'll start from the beginning :-

Has anyone else had a problem booking dining on board. As we are going to be Elite on next cruise we can get into the Dine My Way even though we have over 6 months to go. I tried booking for between 5 and 6 o'clock each night but can only get tables that say Table Shared with other guests ( except 1st night where it says Table for Two) I have tried changing from fast to relaxed and even tried later times all say Table Shared with other guests. I have put table anywhere in dining room rather than specify by window etc. Normally we like sharing with others but in these Covid times with people being isolated if someone they shared with later tested positive we would rather not. I have tried contacting Princess but there is no one you can speak to who can help with this. They just said try and speak to someone on board, which would be too late everyone would have booked by then. Any ideas anyone or has anyone got a contact e mail that actually works. Any help much appreciated. 

I can't see anywhere it asked how many on table other that when I go in to book it just shows myself and husband. Plus it has given me a table for two the first night .  Is there somewhere you specifically request table for 2 

I am just puzzled that with over 6 month to go and booking early dining times which is normally nearly empty we can't get tables for two. Even the Princess Lady I just spoke to was puzzled and said something must be wrong here but still said she couldn't do anything. It also only gave me a choice of one Dining Room which isn't a problem if we had tables for two. 

A few points:

1. I believe many (if not all) future voyages only have one DR loaded to DMW.  They did this at roll-out and it seems they have still not increased the DR space.  We are 8 months out now - less actually - and no changes.  IDK if they are adding additional DR space closer to the sail date.  Hard to tell as not enough detail reports here on the threads.  Seems to defeat purpose by holding back space, but of course, they have had bugs and such.
  2. You would need to be talking to an OCEAN team member I think to have any real perspective on the dining situation (inventory and such).  From a past conversation I had, they cannot really make a res for you in the system.  It would be interesting if they could comment on additional space open up for booking.  Recent voyages are only using two DR's of three due to passenger loads.  So, they ought to at least have two of the DR's in DMW.  Hopefully in 6 mths, ships will be filled up once again.
  3. The dining attributes/preferences such as speed, location won't be factors in offering table space in the booking area.  Now, I cannot say that definitively as I am not one of the systems analysts in the project, but it seems highly unlikely there is any connection there.  When you make a reservation, it is a general request and a table is not actually assigned until later.  Perhaps those preferences are looked at then - who knows?  I wouldn't bank on it.
  4. With limited dining space and such, it is possible the system is showing nothing available.  I have had availability issues with our voyages with over a year to go and light bookings.

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

A few points:

1. I believe many (if not all) future voyages only have one DR loaded to DMW.  They did this at roll-out and it seems they have still not increased the DR space.  We are 8 months out now - less actually - and no changes.  IDK if they are adding additional DR space closer to the sail date.  Hard to tell as not enough detail reports here on the threads.  Seems to defeat purpose by holding back space, but of course, they have had bugs and such.
  2. You would need to be talking to an OCEAN team member I think to have any real perspective on the dining situation (inventory and such).  From a past conversation I had, they cannot really make a res for you in the system.  It would be interesting if they could comment on additional space open up for booking.  Recent voyages are only using two DR's of three due to passenger loads.  So, they ought to at least have two of the DR's in DMW.  Hopefully in 6 mths, ships will be filled up once again.
  3. The dining attributes/preferences such as speed, location won't be factors in offering table space in the booking area.  Now, I cannot say that definitively as I am not one of the systems analysts in the project, but it seems highly unlikely there is any connection there.  When you make a reservation, it is a general request and a table is not actually assigned until later.  Perhaps those preferences are looked at then - who knows?  I wouldn't bank on it.
  4. With limited dining space and such, it is possible the system is showing nothing available.  I have had availability issues with our voyages with over a year to go and light bookings.

Thanks unfortunately over here we don't get the option to speak to or even email anyone to do with the Ocean App, the Princess Lady I spoke to just said it was strange but she couldn't do anything and just to speak to the Maitre De when we get onboard by which time it will already be all booked up. I even asked our TA as I was paying the balance for a P & O cruise coming up soon and she said all she could do was contact Princess Customer Service which I have already done. 

10 minutes ago, amajaa said:

Thanks unfortunately over here we don't get the option to speak to or even email anyone to do with the Ocean App, the Princess Lady I spoke to just said it was strange but she couldn't do anything and just to speak to the Maitre De when we get onboard by which time it will already be all booked up. I even asked our TA as I was paying the balance for a P & O cruise coming up soon and she said all she could do was contact Princess Customer Service which I have already done. 

When you call the Princess line, are you not able to select the option for OCEAN support nor ask the rep to transfer?  I am not sure if UK residents are patched through to Santa Clarita HQ line or have a call center in UK.  What if you call when UK center is closed, but US center is open?

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The best thing for folks in CC who want to dine with others in regular DR space, is have the friends add them as Travel Companions and then book a table.  Or just do it on request at the door if a 1-off.

Thanks! I’m happy to dine in club class dining but we do like meeting new people at big tables… do those exist in cc or is it all tables for two?

4 minutes ago, ozziebound said:

Thanks! I’m happy to dine in club class dining but we do like meeting new people at big tables… do those exist in cc or is it all tables for two?

Someone else is better equipped than I.  I have walked past CC area a number of times, but not dined there.  In my mind, there might have been a 6-top???  But I didn't see much in way of large setups in there.  I imagine it is more individual - but I am not really sure.  Now, if you have a party of 6, say, I am sure they could have a table for you all if dining together.  I'd speak to the DOR or a HW for that area.

25 minutes ago, ozziebound said:

On the Caribbean Princess last month the Club Class dining section had a 6 person and an 8 person table IIRC occupied by obvious family groups.  There were many more 4 person and 2 person tables.  You are never asked if you want to share a table, as is common in the MDR.  I think the chance of finding other CC passengers that want to sit with new people at the same time you have turned up to dine is greatly reduced.

We were in CC on a recent Ruby. The restaurant manager observed those who were regularly chatting together even when seated as twosomes (only 3 feet apart if that). He was wise enough to start putting the “couples” in proximity when they dined at the same time. Consequently we had lots of meals (beaucoup sea days) with about four or five couples we got to know. Kudos to restaurant manager Luis!

• Like 2

A recent release (FEB 4) is Android 3.0.98752, which addresses some bugs, including DMW.

Not sure the explanation, but there is a lot more table space availability in various time slots on our OCT voyages than was the case before, even though more cabins sold.  Still just the one DR, but more Private space showing than before.  Perhaps it always was there but bugs prevented it from showing and only offered Split tables.  No idea as Princess provides zero details about their bug fixes.  

On 2/6/2022 at 8:08 PM, ozziebound said:

We’re on a four night vancouver to seattle in may… we actually like meeting new people at big tables… can we still do that? Looks like we can request it in ocean medallion

If you ask to share a table the same time every night you might be relegated to the Botticelli Dining Room at the same table & table mates each time. I was on the Emerald.  But I don't like that dining room so I just showed up whenever in the Da Vinci