Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

19 minutes ago, NaplesKnitter said:

Hi,  Does anyone know if the Main Dining Room is open on Embarkation Day?  We are sailing on Emerald Princess on 11/26.  Thanks

It has been on all the "Live From" threads I've read since Princess cruising resumed.  There is a thread for the current Emerald cruise that you might check: 

On 8/12/2021 at 4:58 AM, skynight said:

If you enjoy club class mini suites or full suites you should book them. That wasn't the point. The point is that all guests should receive excellent hassle free dining service regardless of their cabin category or ability to use technology. Dining & food is one of the top items discussed on these boards. Look at how many posts contain photos of food. Fail in any part of this area, food, service, frustration and timing to select your dining option(s), your business receives low marks and potential customers will look elsewhere.  Princess is in the hospitality business. A large and probably the most important part of this business is dining and food. Princess seems to have forgotten this important point when trying to automate dining. People are frustrated in these early cruises, but remain patient. If they don't get it together their customers will lose there patience, look elsewhere and Princess' business will suffer.   

Long time Princess cruiser, next cruise with be our 30th.  We did traditional dining when we went to the MDR, stop going MDR at least 5-7 years, when MDR menu started offering a hamburger for dinner.  Just did not see the menu as that appealing.  When we made that decision we started to go to the Crown Grill more often because the menu there was more like what tradition MDR was when we first started cruising.  Nights we don't go to the Crown Grill we gladly go to the buffet.  We usually go early, before sunset and enjoy the  sunset and food options.  We don't cruise for food primarily, we enjoy being at sea.    When Princess makes changes, we figure out what works for us.  For those who have enjoyed the traditional dining experience with the same waist staff, I get it.  Even though we don't cruise for food, when the MDR menu slipped a lot,  we revaluated.  We now look at what does the ship have to offer that we like and seek it out vs  focusing on what we miss from the past.  We use to tip wait staff extra in the MDR, over above the auto tip,  now we use that money to in the Crown Grill.  

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 11:19 PM, trbarton said:

I just got off the Ruby Princess. Dinner in the MDR was a complete disaster. On my 7 day cruise I never had the same table/wait staff twice. I complained to many of the staff with no results. In cruising again I will insist on the same table/wait staff each night & refuse to sit at a different table. Nothing I said made any difference. 

Anyone had this problem & if so what did you do?

Tom😀

I do get it...and realize that having the same table/waiters was a cruise line tradition until a few years ago.  While some cruisers (such as yourself) have tried to maintain this tradition many of us have relished the freedom of being able to dine as we please, when we please, with whom we please.   We cruise many different lines and having a regular table/waiter has become rare.  Even on some of the top ultra-luxury lines it is unusual to have the same waiter/table (although you would be accommodated if you made the request).

So, what you are calling a "problem" is not seen that way by the staff.   Until recently the Princess dining staff could handle requests for the same table but I imagine that now it has become difficult with some MDRs closed (or partially closed) and need to rotate some staff to keep everyone working.  Many ships are now operating at a small percentage of capacity and  this actually creates challenges for management.

Hank

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I do get it...and realize that having the same table/waiters was a cruise line tradition until a few years ago.  While some cruisers (such as yourself) have tried to maintain this tradition many of us have relished the freedom of being able to dine as we please, when we please, with whom we please.   We cruise many different lines and having a regular table/waiter has become rare.  Even on some of the top ultra-luxury lines it is unusual to have the same waiter/table (although you would be accommodated if you made the request).

So, what you are calling a "problem" is not seen that way by the staff.   Until recently the Princess dining staff could handle requests for the same table but I imagine that now it has become difficult with some MDRs closed (or partially closed) and need to rotate some staff to keep everyone working.  Many ships are now operating at a small percentage of capacity and  this actually creates challenges for management.

Hank

This may be a solution for management.  I do think staff will be getting less in tips as a result.  When we did traditional dining we always tipped the staff extra over and above the auto tip.  No need to do so any more, especially if you don't have the same waiter or staff.    

If you want the same table and wait staff it is possible, we do at the Crown Grill.  And we do tip extra as we did in the past. 

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

with whom we please. 

If that means the same group each night, well you have a challenge right there as DMW doesn't guarantee in the least putting together a diverse group of cruisers and having that same group together each night.  That is a TD feature and TD is a mess in DMW.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

If that means the same group each night, well you have a challenge right there as DMW doesn't guarantee in the least putting together a diverse group of cruisers and having that same group together each night.  That is a TD feature and TD is a mess in DMW.

I guess we shall soon see.  But on Princess our usual technique is to show up when we want to dine and tell the person at the door that we are willing to share.  In the past that made us friends with the hosts and hostesses because we were not demanding (asking for a special table location, waiter, etc) and simply had the attitude that they could put us wherever it pleased them be it a large shared table, a 2 top, etc.   But on other nights we would sometimes show up with other folks (who may have met over cocktails or on previous evenings) and ask to be seated together and it was never an issue.   We never made MDR reservations.  But now we do understand they have a new scheme and we have played along by requesting a normal dining time.  It is likely that we will generally ignore that dining time (likely arriving late) since we often meet interesting folks during our pre-dinner cocktails and do not feel the need to go running off to dinner if we are having fun in a bar.

Since we tend to dine late (always after 7:30 and sometimes after 8pm there are seldom any issues since there is no demand at that time.  But the truth is that none of this stuff is a big deal to us and we simply go along with "program" whatever that may be.  We do not care what dining room we are in and do not normally care if we are seated at 7:30 or 8:30.   In fact I think some of the best entertainment is watching demanding passengers making their demands :).   On Princess we know we will be fed, will not starve, the food will usually be eatable, and on a very rare occasion we might actually get something memorable in the MDR.  But lets keep in mind that we are talking about cuisine where ordering a kids dessert (Volcano) is the highlight for many folks :).

Hank

• Like 5

But lets keep in mind that we are talking about cuisine where ordering a kids dessert (Volcano) is the highlight for many folks :).

I ordered that once. We were at a table for 8 and it was a random share. None of the others had heard of the Volcano. When it was time to order desert I mentioned that I had been considering the Volcano. The young woman who was taking the orders got a huge grin and told me I "really had to order it."  It was okay but a bit on the large side for me. It certainly seemed to make the server happy. The grin on her face when it was delivered was a bit of a "highlight" for us. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I guess we shall soon see.  But on Princess our usual technique is to show up when we want to dine and tell the person at the door that we are willing to share.  In the past that made us friends with the hosts and hostesses because we were not demanding (asking for a special table location, waiter, etc) and simply had the attitude that they could put us wherever it pleased them be it a large shared table, a 2 top, etc.   But on other nights we would sometimes show up with other folks (who may have met over cocktails or on previous evenings) and ask to be seated together and it was never an issue.   We never made MDR reservations.  But now we do understand they have a new scheme and we have played along by requesting a normal dining time.  It is likely that we will generally ignore that dining time (likely arriving late) since we often meet interesting folks during our pre-dinner cocktails and do not feel the need to go running off to dinner if we are having fun in a bar.

Since we tend to dine late (always after 7:30 and sometimes after 8pm there are seldom any issues since there is no demand at that time.  But the truth is that none of this stuff is a big deal to us and we simply go along with "program" whatever that may be.  We do not care what dining room we are in and do not normally care if we are seated at 7:30 or 8:30.   In fact I think some of the best entertainment is watching demanding passengers making their demands :).   On Princess we know we will be fed, will not starve, the food will usually be eatable, and on a very rare occasion we might actually get something memorable in the MDR.  But lets keep in mind that we are talking about cuisine where ordering a kids dessert (Volcano) is the highlight for many folks :).

Hank

LOL, my dh who is now in his 90s, was one of those demanding passengers.  He knew the business, what to expect and how to get what he wanted.   I noticed the staff were very happy to provide service to him because he was very clear about what he wanted.  It is easier to give folks what they want when they are clear on what they want than to have to guess.  In your case, you make  it clear that you don't care  one way or another, so easy to provide service to you too.   Pleasing the customer is what it is all about, even if is a Volcano dessert.  .  

On 11/17/2021 at 8:18 AM, Hlitner said:

Hank

I'm not sure why DMW is easier for the staff. Back in the all-traditional days, you only needed someone to direct you to your table the first night. After that you just go there on your own. No hostess needed.

• Like 1

I seem to recall seeing this mentioned here but cannot find it right now.  Where do you find the option to book a specialty restaurant and use the complimentary credit on the booking?  There was a significant price drop in my booking for my adult son and my Feb 27th Caribbean cruise and was told that it had to be cancelled and re-booked.  So OK no problem, was able to get everything back up and running on the app with the new booking number after a couple of days.  However, the new booking includes a complimentary dinner in one of the specialty restaurants.  I had previously on the old booking, reserved and pre-paid for two nights.  I was told that those would be cancelled, which they were and that I would get a credit on my credit card (not there yet but I'm hoping).  So now I am looking at booking the complimentary night in the Crown Grill and I do not see the option of using the credit rather than pre-paying with my credit card.

I know most people say they have no problem booking once onboard but my son loves the Crown Grill and we eat early usually between 6 and 6:30 p.m. and in the past if I waited to make a reservation, was frequently told that nothing was available until after 8 p.m.  Can't eat that late due to digestive problems.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide. 

8 hours ago, DavidsNana said:

I seem to recall seeing this mentioned here but cannot find it right now.  Where do you find the option to book a specialty restaurant and use the complimentary credit on the booking?  There was a significant price drop in my booking for my adult son and my Feb 27th Caribbean cruise and was told that it had to be cancelled and re-booked.  So OK no problem, was able to get everything back up and running on the app with the new booking number after a couple of days.  However, the new booking includes a complimentary dinner in one of the specialty restaurants.  I had previously on the old booking, reserved and pre-paid for two nights.  I was told that those would be cancelled, which they were and that I would get a credit on my credit card (not there yet but I'm hoping).  So now I am looking at booking the complimentary night in the Crown Grill and I do not see the option of using the credit rather than pre-paying with my credit card.

I know most people say they have no problem booking once onboard but my son loves the Crown Grill and we eat early usually between 6 and 6:30 p.m. and in the past if I waited to make a reservation, was frequently told that nothing was available until after 8 p.m.  Can't eat that late due to digestive problems.

I don't believe there is any way to book in advance using a credit, unless someone else knows how.   I have found when I did not book in advance, I could get an early time on a port day  in the Crown Grill.  Sea days were always booked in advance by others.  I also have a free dinner as part of my booking,  but will wait to book it when I get on board.  

12 hours ago, DavidsNana said:

3 hours ago, pris993 said:

I don't believe there is any way to book in advance using a credit, unless someone else knows how.   I have found when I did not book in advance, I could get an early time on a port day  in the Crown Grill.  Sea days were always booked in advance by others.  I also have a free dinner as part of my booking,  but will wait to book it when I get on board.  

Originally, DMW was recognizing the free Specialty Dining that Princess offered in a sales promo.  When DMW started, our bookings had a free Specialty Dining bonus on all four bookings.  When I tried a mock res in DWM for the CG or Sabi's, I would go through to the payment page and it would show the $58 charge and then a $58 credit with $0 owed to make the booking.  (I jumped out at that point and never made a booking.

Since then, a better deal came along and two voyages were re-booked under a new deal which did not include SD bonus credit.  However, two bookings still had it.  Then, I received another SD credit for first voyage for another reason, so we have three now instead of four.

I did notice soon after the booking and fare changes that DMW was not recognizing my credits, but I just went through the steps again and in all three cases, DMW recognized the credit when booking CG and shows $0 owed if I were to confirm the bookings. 

YMMV, but in general I have found this feature to be working.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

It was also working fine for us (party of 8 all with the promo) when I made Sabatini reservations for our July 2022 cruise two months ago.

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Originally, DMW was recognizing the free Specialty Dining that Princess offered in a sales promo.  When DMW started, our bookings had a free Specialty Dining bonus on all four bookings.  When I tried a mock res in DWM for the CG or Sabi's, I would go through to the payment page and it would show the $58 charge and then a $58 credit with $0 owed to make the booking.  (I jumped out at that point and never made a booking.

Since then, a better deal came along and two voyages were re-booked under a new deal which did not include SD bonus credit.  However, two bookings still had it.  Then, I received another SD credit for first voyage for another reason, so we have three now instead of four.

I did notice soon after the booking and fare changes that DMW was not recognizing my credits, but I just went through the steps again and in all three cases, DMW recognized the credit when booking CG and shows $0 owed if I were to confirm the bookings. 

I have cruise in January, we have booked 3 nights at Crown Grill, we also have a free dinner as part of the promotion, system did not recognize our free motion dinners.  So maybe it changed?  Or not working right.  Figure we will book the promotion when on board. 

40 minutes ago, pris993 said:

I have cruise in January, we have booked 3 nights at Crown Grill, we also have a free dinner as part of the promotion, system did not recognize our free motion dinners.  So maybe it changed?  Or not working right.  Figure we will book the promotion when on board. 

Why not book with credit card and have passenger services adjust when on board - you would then have your preferred time.

7 hours ago, capriccio said:

It was also working fine for us (party of 8 all with the promo) when I made Sabatini reservations for our July 2022 cruise two months ago.

I tried to book Specialty dinner for DH and I today and it said check back closer to our journey which is about 38 days away!  Hmmm?

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

I can't book any specialty dinner....what am I doing wrong?

3 hours ago, suzyed said:

I tried to book Specialty dinner for DH and I today and it said check back closer to our journey which is about 38 days away!  Hmmm?

3 hours ago, suzyed said:

I can't book any specialty dinner....what am I doing wrong?

2 hours ago, suzyed said:

I'm just trying to make specialty dinner reservations and can't seem to do it.  The app tells me to come back closer to my sailing which is 38 days away!  
Help!

It seems unlikely that all of the spots made available in DMW (which is not at all the full restaurant capacity).  I imagine you will need to speak the the Medallion Class team - or write them an email.  Did you ask on your RC if any fellow cruisers have same issue or are booking NP?  Or, list the exact date and ship here and see if anyone responds. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info.  I am having no trouble making reservations in the specialty restaurants just using the free/complementary feature.  The app wants my credit card.  I knew that I had read that someone was able to use the complementary feature but either is not recognizing mine or they changed the app.  I think I will go ahead and make a paid reservation for the Crown Grill as we like to eat there on one of the formal nights and then use the complementary one for Sabatini's on another night and just make that reservation when we get onboard as I have read on here that Sabatini's is not as full as the Crown Grill.  Thanks again.

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

It seems unlikely that all of the spots made available in DMW (which is not at all the full restaurant capacity).  I imagine you will need to speak the the Medallion Class team - or write them an email.  Did you ask on your RC if any fellow cruisers have same issue or are booking NP?  Or, list the exact date and ship here and see if anyone responds. 

Good advice...thanks!

On 11/19/2021 at 10:23 AM, suzyed said:

I'm just trying to make specialty dinner reservations and can't seem to do it.  The app tells me to come back closer to my sailing which is 38 days away!  
Help!

Make sure that you are in the "view or book individual daily reservations", then

select the day you want by sliding the days bar at the top to the date you want, 

then select "add reservation" which "Should" bring up the screen showing 

Main Dining

Specialty Dining

Select specialty - and then select your travel party, then continue (at bottom of screen)

This should show a time, ie 7:30pm seems to be the default, which you change

to your preferred time.

THEN select the restaurant, ie Crown Grill, by clicking on the "Select this Table" icon

I had the same experience you did earlier, but I was selecting the "explore dining options" instead

of +Add Reservation button

Hope this helps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisinGrandpa said:

Make sure that you are in the "view or book individual daily reservations", then

select the day you want by sliding the days bar at the top to the date you want, 

then select "add reservation" which "Should" bring up the screen showing 

Main Dining

Specialty Dining

Select specialty - and then select your travel party, then continue (at bottom of screen)

This should show a time, ie 7:30pm seems to be the default, which you change

to your preferred time.

THEN select the restaurant, ie Crown Grill, by clicking on the "Select this Table" icon

I had the same experience you did earlier, but I was selecting the "explore dining options" instead

of +Add Reservation button

Hope this helps

Did all that and it was a no-go for either of us!

BUT, last night tried it again and finally it worked as it should.  I have rechecked it a few times to make sure it's all still there! LOL!  So far so good!
Now if only we could know when formal nights are!