Celebrity Email regarding mixed vaccines AND intervals between vaccines

hawkesbaynz

Hi,

Received the email this am no doubt sent to all about the vaccination requirements for cruising. I have been feeling pretty smug about my vaccinations end 2020/early 2021 and have been looking forward to a booster in the Autumn/Fall. I even had Covid March 2020 too. However I spotted that Celebrity are demanding four weeks interval between vaccines!

There have been copious threads about mixed vaccinations and feel great sympathy for those folk, and also respect for the people on the vaccine research trials. However this interval issue I had not noted until this morning.

Initially in the UK when we only had Pfizer there was a three week interval between vaccines. Like many frontline healthcare staff and over 80s mine was at 22 days. Now I am worrying if i will be able to go on my mid September UK Staycation.

My GP practice is still vaccinating youngsters and the hesitant. I may be able to get an early booster although not convinced it will be added to the Covid vaccination passport we have in the UK until the government officially roll out the boosters. First world problems but.... Am going to contact Celebrity. 

Any thoughts?

36 minutes ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Hi,

Received the email this am no doubt sent to all about the vaccination requirements for cruising. I have been feeling pretty smug about my vaccinations end 2020/early 2021 and have been looking forward to a booster in the Autumn/Fall. I even had Covid March 2020 too. However I spotted that Celebrity are demanding four weeks interval between vaccines!

There have been copious threads about mixed vaccinations and feel great sympathy for those folk, and also respect for the people on the vaccine research trials. However this interval issue I had not noted until this morning.

Initially in the UK when we only had Pfizer there was a three week interval between vaccines. Like many frontline healthcare staff and over 80s mine was at 22 days. Now I am worrying if i will be able to go on my mid September UK Staycation.

My GP practice is still vaccinating youngsters and the hesitant. I may be able to get an early booster although not convinced it will be added to the Covid vaccination passport we have in the UK until the government officially roll out the boosters. First world problems but.... Am going to contact Celebrity. 

Any thoughts?

I didn’t think the U.K. gave any mixed vaccines which this specifically applies to. If you had 2 of the same type of vaccine this would not seem to apply (unless I am reading it incorrectly).

If you didn’t have a mix of vaccines then the only time limit would seem to be 14 days before sailing for the jag.

I would  however contact them and double check if you are concerned.

2 minutes ago, MR_T said:

Can someone post a copy of the email received? Would be good to see the wording... 

thanks 

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon for your upcoming Celebrity Cruises vacation.  Before we depart, we have some important information to share regarding our Health and Safety Protocols.

Following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines, Celebrity Cruises will sail with all crew vaccinated and at least 95% of guests will be fully vaccinated. All guests 12 years and older (18 years and older for residents of the UK) must be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing.

Acceptable vaccines include any brands that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO). Please be aware that certain countries we sail from or visit during a voyage may require a specific vaccine, and only those travelers vaccinated with the requisite vaccine will be considered fully vaccinated. Be sure to review your departure country's travel requirements prior to sailing.   

All sailings departing the U.S. are subject to guidance from the CDC. Currently, the CDC does not recognize any mixed combination of COVID-19 vaccines as fully vaccinated. For sailings departing the United States, to be recognized as fully vaccinated, guests 12 years of age and older, must complete a vaccine series with products from the same manufacturer, with the last dose administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. All sailings departing from St. Maarten will also follow this guidance.

For sailings departing from the UK, Greece or the Galapagos, we will follow the respective country guidance and allow for a mix of AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette departing from Southampton, Celebrity Apex departing from Athens or Celebrity Flora, Xploration and Xpedition in the Galapagos may have mixed doses as follows:

AstraZeneca, with the AstraZeneca dose being administered first, followed within 8–12 weeks by either the Pfizer or Moderna dose.

One dose of Pfizer or Moderna followed at least four weeks later by a second dose of Pfizer or Moderna.  

No other mixed vaccine doses will be accepted.  Additionally, Celebrity Cruise will not accept any form of Certificate of Recovery.  

Additional testing and protocols will be confirmed closer to your sailing departure date in line with the most up to date recommendations from local government and health officials as well as our Healthy Sail Panel.  These measures, including vaccination and testing requirements, will evolve along with public health standards.  For details on our current health and safety protocols please visit www.healthyatsea.com.  

Thank you for observing these important travel requirements. The health and safety of everyone onboard is our number one priority.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. 

Sincerely, 

Celebrity Cruises

• Thanks 1

The wording is pretty clear:

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon for your upcoming Celebrity Cruises vacation.  Before we depart, we have some important information to share regarding our Health and Safety Protocols.

Following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines, Celebrity Cruises will sail with all crew vaccinated and at least 95% of guests will be fully vaccinated. All guests 12 years and older (18 years and older for residents of the UK) must be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing.

Acceptable vaccines include any brands that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO). Please be aware that certain countries we sail from or visit during a voyage may require a specific vaccine, and only those travelers vaccinated with the requisite vaccine will be considered fully vaccinated. Be sure to review your departure country's travel requirements prior to sailing.   

All sailings departing the U.S. are subject to guidance from the CDC. Currently, the CDC does not recognize any mixed combination of COVID-19 vaccines as fully vaccinated. For sailings departing the United States, to be recognized as fully vaccinated, guests 12 years of age and older, must complete a vaccine series with products from the same manufacturer, with the last dose administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. All sailings departing from St. Maarten will also follow this guidance.

For sailings departing from the UK, Greece or the Galapagos, we will follow the respective country guidance and allow for a mix of AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette departing from Southampton, Celebrity Apex departing from Athens or Celebrity Flora, Xploration and Xpedition in the Galapagos may have mixed doses as follows:

• AstraZeneca, with the AstraZeneca dose being administered first, followed within 8–12 weeks by either the Pfizer or Moderna dose.
  • One dose of Pfizer or Moderna followed at least four weeks later by a second dose of Pfizer or Moderna. 

No other mixed vaccine doses will be accepted.  Additionally, Celebrity Cruise will not accept any form of Certificate of Recovery. 

Additional testing and protocols will be confirmed closer to your sailing departure date in line with the most up to date recommendations from local government and health officials as well as our Healthy Sail Panel.  These measures, including vaccination and testing requirements, will evolve along with public health standards.  For details on our current health and safety protocols please visit www.healthyatsea.com

Thank you for observing these important travel requirements. The health and safety of everyone onboard is our number one priority.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

Edited by Miaminice

19 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

• One dose of Pfizer or Moderna followed at least four weeks later by a second dose of Pfizer or Moderna. 

That is my issue. Likely only effecting initial healthworkers and the over 80s.

I would have uploaded the letter (thanks) but am at work. Still try to get the vaccine hesitant to get their jabs amongst usual healthcare stuff

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hawkesbaynz said:

That is my issue. Likely only effecting initial healthworkers and the over 80s.

I would have uploaded the letter (thanks) but am at work. Still try to get the vaccine hesitant to get their jabs amongst usual healthcare stuff

But that is posted specifically in reference to mixed doses (and the wording should have said Pfizer/Moderna and then Moderna/Pfizer.

Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette departing from Southampton, Celebrity Apex departing from Athens or Celebrity Flora, Xploration and Xpedition in the Galapagos may have mixed doses as follows:

• AstraZeneca, with the AstraZeneca dose being administered first, followed within 8–12 weeks by either the Pfizer or Moderna dose.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, D C said:

s may have mixed doses as follows:

You can why I am not a lawyer although the wording could have been better. I believe I am okay then. May have the booster anyway if i can. 8  months since the last one

It looks like Celebrity is falling back on a "We're following CDC guidance" strategy.

For those with mixed doses and US sailings, this link may be important/useful when contacting Celebrity:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/covid-19-vaccines-us.html

In situations where the same mRNA vaccine product is temporarily unavailable, it is preferable to delay the second dose (up to 6 weeks) to receive the same product than to receive a mixed series using a different product. If two doses of different mRNA COVID-19 vaccine products are administered in these situations (or inadvertently), no additional doses of either product are recommended at this time. Such persons are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after receipt of the second dose of an mRNA vaccine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2021 at 4:20 PM, shortme said:

I’ve sent that info to Celebrity. No response but I’ll keep pushing and hopefully they will update for US departures. 

Good luck getting any response from Celebrity. 

They also still haven't published any clarification on persons receiving AstraZeneca(Oxford) + AstraZeneca(SII/Covishield); despite promising me an email a month ago.

Celebrity is wrong. The recommended interval for Pfizer was 21 days plus or minus 4 days. The recommended interval for Moderna was 4 weeks. If they intend to enforce this then they may as well eliminate Pfizer because everyone in the US used 21 days. I can't imagine they would actually enforce that difference since the CDC also says 21 days.

Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine Questions | CDC

37 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Celebrity is wrong. The recommended interval for Pfizer was 21 days plus or minus 4 days. The recommended interval for Moderna was 4 weeks. If they intend to enforce this then they may as well eliminate Pfizer because everyone in the US used 21 days. I can't imagine they would actually enforce that difference since the CDC also says 21 days.

Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine Questions | CDC

Absolutely!  In the US we were told 4 weeks for Pfizer.  I can't imagine those of us who followed those guidelines would have any issue with the 4 week interval.  This must apply only to mixed doses

Initially the only vaccine used in UK was Pfizer and a few over 80’s did have 3 weeks between vaccines, but in VERY early January this was changed to 12 weeks in an effort to get more people vaccinated with a first dose. 
I know this to be correct, as I ( 79 yr old) was vaccinated the day after my birthday, 6th January, with Pfizer.

Celebrity need to look at the Government advice at the time you were vaccinated.

• 1 month later...

The CDC has just announced that travelers to the US will be deemed vaccinated if they have any mixed doses of CDC or WHO approved vaccines!  😀

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/us-canada-border-november-8-1.6212093

So a major worry for many tourists to the US have been addressed.

I hope the various cruiselines will now align with these recommendations.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tert333 said:

The CDC has just announced that travelers to the US will be deemed vaccinated if they have any mixed doses of CDC or WHO approved vaccines!  😀

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/us-canada-border-november-8-1.6212093

So a major worry for many tourists to the US have been addressed.

I hope the various cruiselines will now align with these recommendations.

Yes a good step forward by the CDC.  It applies to all international travelers from Canada and elsewhere.  Since cruise lines seem to be aligned with the CDC, and this simplifies the rules for cruise customers, I would think this will soon become the case for cruiselines.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Yes a good step forward by the CDC.  It applies to all international travelers from Canada and elsewhere.  Since cruise lines seem to be aligned with the CDC, and this simplifies the rules for cruise customers, I would think this will soon become the case for cruiselines.

Hopefully they will update their site with new information 

On 10/16/2021 at 11:59 AM, drakes2 said:

Hopefully they will update their site with new information 

The Celebrity website has now been updated to reflect the fact that people can now have mixed doses of any of the following vaccines:

• Pfizer
  • Moderna
  • Johnson & Johnson,
  • AstraZeneca
  • Sinovac
  • Sinopharm

So if you have an AstraZeneca and PFizer for example, you will be allowed to cruise!

Hopefully, this closes the issue around mixed vaccines.