Families with unvaccinated kids under 12 originally on current sailing or very soon.

jeno

How and when were you notified that your unvaccinated kids (unable because under 12 years old) were not able to go on the cruise your family was reserved on? We currently have Christmas reservations with a 5 and 10 year old. We’re wondering how far in advance is NCL’s cutoff. 

I think that anyone who was booked on a sailing happening prior to October 31 was informed about the vaccine requirement as soon as NCL instated it. October 31 has been the date since then, so we really don't know how much/if any notice we will get if/when they extend the date.

• Like 2

I personally would not risk having to make last minute changes to Christmas plans with my family, particularly with children involved. I'd look into a cruise line that currently allows unvaccinated children, or a land based vacation unless you are ok with potentially having no travel plans for Christmas. 

21 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Go on MSC out of Miami with your kids. NCL would be bad bet. They can sail on MSC which myself and my kids loved.

MSC is definitely reacting to the conditions in Florida with changes in procedures.

I wouldn't place any money on booking a cruise with unvaccinated family members for December on any line.

IMO, any lines currently accepting unvaccinated passengers will at some point either be changed to vaccinations required or have such onerous restriction and additional fees for the unvaccinated that cruising will not be an option.

While MSC does currently view unvaccinated children as "vaccinated" when traveling with vaccinated adults in US cruises, I wonder when this will be changed.

An indicator might be the decision by MSC to no longer run bus transfers between Florida airports and the ports due to the fact that masks and social distancing can not be enforced on the bus in Florida.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, jeno said:

How and when were you notified that your unvaccinated kids (unable because under 12 years old) were not able to go on the cruise your family was reserved on? We currently have Christmas reservations with a 5 and 10 year old. We’re wondering how far in advance is NCL’s cutoff. 

With Delta variant, I would suspect more cruise lines will implement stuff. I would not risk xmas vacation on a what will happens scenario.  What if you can go but the kids are not allowed in a kids club? The pool?

Steve

Our challenge is that we are booked  on the Epic out of Barcelona in July 2022 using FCC's that must be used for bookings made by December 2021.  Three of our party are under the age of ten.  We were cancelled in both 2020 and 2021.  Hoping that things change for the better and if not, NCL extends their FCC expiration dates.

6 hours ago, Homosassa said:

IMO, any lines currently accepting unvaccinated passengers will at some point either be changed to vaccinations required or have such onerous restriction and additional fees for the unvaccinated that cruising will not be an option.

Covid is already onboard the 100% vaccinated Encore (as identified by the CDC) and it's only her first revenue generated sailing. Covid has snuck onboard several 100% vaccinated sailings across the globe. I don't believe 100% vaccinated will keep covid off the ship (although it will likely leave people less sick).Instead, I fear more and more onerous restrictions will be placed on everyone (vaccinated and unvaccinated). 

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Covid is already onboard the 100% vaccinated Encore (as identified by the CDC) and it's only her first revenue generated sailing. Covid has snuck onboard several 100% vaccinated sailings across the globe. I don't believe 100% vaccinated will keep covid off the ship (although it will likely leave people less sick).Instead, I fear more and more onerous restrictions will be placed on everyone (vaccinated and unvaccinated). 

I find the CDC color codes confusing.  If you go by them Covid was on board in a worse way when the Encore set sail on the 7th it was Yellow then.  Went to green yesterday.  Orange now which is one lower than yellow when it set sail.  I cannot conclude there is covid on board, but I know what the CDC's web page says.  Don't know what to think in my case.  It will be interesting to hear the full details(I hope someone will tell us.)  I am expecting more restrictions too unfortunately.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, davencl said:

I find the CDC color codes confusing.  If you go by them Covid was on board in a worse way when the Encore set sail on the 7th it was Yellow then.  Went to green yesterday.  Orange now which is one lower than yellow when it set sail.  I cannot conclude there is covid on board, but I know what the CDC's web page says.  Don't know what to think in my case.  It will be interesting to hear the full details(I hope someone will tell us.)  I am expecting more restrictions too unfortunately.

I agree, the color coding is confusing but I'm pretty sure that a ship can't be color coded unless covid has been confirmed. I believe it's safe to say that someone onboard tested positive for covid when she turned yellow. Perhaps in the case of the Encore, the 5 day waiting period expired and gave the all clear (green). But why orange now (monitoring)? I don't think we will ever know. Like you, I hope someone can help make sense of the system. 

33 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

The FDA will probably fully approve the Pfizer vaccine this month.  I wouldn't sweat it.  As soon as they do just get the kids vaccinated.  Then its a non issue.  

full approval of the vaccine, as opposed to its current emergency use authorization status, does not mean the vaccine is necessarily suitable or recommended for kids under 12. those are two different issues.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, UKstages said:

full approval of the vaccine, as opposed to its current emergency use authorization status, does not mean the vaccine is necessarily suitable or recommended for kids under 12. those are two different issues.

Was going to say the same. Full authorization is a completely different thing from an emergency use authorization for children under 12. Most experts aren't expecting that until close to the end of the year. No company has even applied for an EUA for children under 12 yet. They are still conducting their trials.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Homosassa said:

While MSC does currently view unvaccinated children as "vaccinated" when traveling with vaccinated adults in US cruises, I wonder when this will be changed.

Has changed.  According to current MSC Caribbean & Bahamas health protocol, children no longer assume the vaccinated status of their parents or guardian.  All passengers under 12 are classified as Not Fully Vaccinated.  

Edited by logan25

11 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I agree, the color coding is confusing but I'm pretty sure that a ship can't be color coded unless covid has been confirmed. I believe it's safe to say that someone onboard tested positive for covid when she turned yellow. Perhaps in the case of the Encore, the 5 day waiting period expired and gave the all clear (green). But why orange now (monitoring)? I don't think we will ever know. Like you, I hope someone can help make sense of the system. 

Technically it looks like a ship could go directly from Green to Yellow if they fail to make a daily submission on time.  I'm not sure if she ship would go back to Green as soon as they get back on track with reporting or if the status would stay Yellow until 7 days have passed since the missed/tardy submission.

I don't see what else Orange could mean except a passenger testing positive.

• Like 1

Just now, davencl said:

Great infographic.  I see a path to orange that doesn't include a positive test for covid.  Makes sense.

For example my wife and I had summer colds a couple of weeks ago.  Many Covid like symptoms.  Had covid tests negative, went to Doctor and diagnosed as a cold.  If this had occurred on ship in that graphic would have gone back to green.  If our diagnosis was inconclusive it would go to Orange.

18 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Enjoy your posts always but curious where you got the info regarding Encore?  I did see CDC had it on orange ("monitoring") but as you also point out in a later post it's been green, yellow and orange.  No reported cases.  @BirdTravelshas been doing an extensive multiple times a day posting while on the Aug. 7 and doesn't mention any covid.  NCL CEO and President plus about 10 other executives along with 20+ media were onboard so probably would have heard something if there were any covid?  Obviously a very important factor for so many of us who have cruises coming up (or final payment!).  

With parents and others reading this thread, just want to make sure because so far neither Jade nor Encore have reported any cases nor has any passenger made mention.  

4 hours ago, logan25 said:

Has changed.  According to current MSC Caribbean & Bahamas health protocol, children no longer assume the vaccinated status of their parents or guardian.  All passengers under 12 are classified as Not Fully Vaccinated.  

Glad to hear this.

I haven't checked the current MSC health protocol since I decided to ask for a refund on a FCC that was issued for a canceled 7/24 Meravigilia cruise.

The information current at the time of my decision had underaged disease vectors classified as vaccinated when traveling with vaccinated parents.  

16 hours ago, cscurlock said:

The FDA will probably fully approve the Pfizer vaccine this month.  I wouldn't sweat it.  As soon as they do just get the kids vaccinated.  Then its a non issue.  

The upcoming full approval of the Pfizer vaccine is just to move it from "emergency use" to full (normal) approval and it's expected to only be for those 18+. For those between 12-17, it will still be under an emergency use classification. Emergency approval for children younger than 12 is expected sometime midwinter.

As others have said, with breakthrough infections on fully vaccinated cruises, it seems unlikely that NCL will change its policy any time soon. Carnival had 27 individuals test positive (26 crew and 1 passenger), all of whom were vaccinated on a nearly entirely vaccinated cruise (above 95% of passengers were vaccinated). All had minor to know symptoms, probably because they were vaccinated, but what would the sailing have looked like if there were a large number of nonvaccinated individuals onboard.

2 hours ago, snorklinbarb said:

Enjoy your posts always but curious where you got the info regarding Encore?  I did see CDC had it on orange ("monitoring") but as you also point out in a later post it's been green, yellow and orange.  No reported cases.  @BirdTravelshas been doing an extensive multiple times a day posting while on the Aug. 7 and doesn't mention any covid.  NCL CEO and President plus about 10 other executives along with 20+ media were onboard so probably would have heard something if there were any covid?  Obviously a very important factor for so many of us who have cruises coming up (or final payment!).  

With parents and others reading this thread, just want to make sure because so far neither Jade nor Encore have reported any cases nor has any passenger made mention.  

Thank you. At the time of writing, my understanding was similar to @Karaboudjan that there was no way for a ship to be orange without covid being detected onboard. Last week the Encore went from green to yellow back to green then jumped to orange. However; the infographic supplied by @Muckyduckwayhas changed my mind. I think it is possible that a ship could get color coded without an actual case (which seems ridiculous to me, but I've come to accept that what I deem ridiculous and what the CDC deems ridiculous are largely different :)). 

With that said, there have been enough instances where covid has snuck onboard 100% vaccinated cruise ships for me to believe that it is impossible to keep covid off. I don't think this is anything to worry about. As long as people are not getting sick and the ever elusive threshold is not met, cruisers should be able to carry on with the voyage without being terribly inconvenienced.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

I'm not sure if the information is accurate, but the SunSentenial ran this story yesterday which may explain the color coding system. The Encore went from green to yellow to green and then directly to orange where it remains today. The Jewel is also orange at this time. The Jade is omitted from the CDC website (presumably because it is sailing in Greece). I found the entire article interesting.

As of Aug. 14, the CDC had assigned orange color status to six Carnival Cruise Line ships, three Royal Caribbean Group ships, two Norwegian Cruise Line ships, and one Disney ship. Orange means infections have been discovered but rates are below the threshold for CDC investigation.

Yellow means the number of passenger or crew cases met the threshold for CDC investigation.

27 cruise ships have reported COVID-19 infections. Why can’t we find out how many? (msn.com)

37 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm not sure if the information is accurate, but the SunSentenial ran this story yesterday which may explain the color coding system. The Encore went from green to yellow to green and then directly to orange where it remains today. The Jewel is also orange at this time. The Jade is omitted from the CDC website (presumably because it is sailing in Greece). I found the entire article interesting.

As of Aug. 14, the CDC had assigned orange color status to six Carnival Cruise Line ships, three Royal Caribbean Group ships, two Norwegian Cruise Line ships, and one Disney ship. Orange means infections have been discovered but rates are below the threshold for CDC investigation.

Yellow means the number of passenger or crew cases met the threshold for CDC investigation.

27 cruise ships have reported COVID-19 infections. Why can’t we find out how many? (msn.com)

To clarify Orange can mean an infection has been discovered but not confirmed to be covid. As an individual has had a negative covid test but has an inconclusive diagnosis.

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Interesting article, but hard to keep my eyes focused with all of the spin.  I especially liked the last quote from the passenger who seemed unaware that there might be a COVID risk on a cruise!  

• Haha 1