Evening attire on Edge.

RMS Olympic

It’s been a while since I have sailed on Celebrity...but I’m sailing on Edge Sept 11th.

Clothing is a personal thing, but are passengers dressing up or just going casual. Are there formal or dress up evenings to plan for?

Im old school and would prefer to be over dressed than under dressed....but want to be comfortable just the same.

Any guidance, thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's a recent thread on the subject:

You can anticipate a wide variety of answers, but your safe bet is to follow Celebrity's guidelines and, given your stated preference, dress up above the minimum standard.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RMS Olympic said:

It’s been a while since I have sailed on Celebrity...but I’m sailing on Edge Sept 11th.

Clothing is a personal thing, but are passengers dressing up or just going casual. Are there formal or dress up evenings to plan for?

Im old school and would prefer to be over dressed than under dressed....but want to be comfortable just the same.

thanks

Tom

You can wear anything from a tux to jeans and a polo shirt. The dress code is on the web site and is quite flexible. The dress code only applies in the MDRs, does not apply in Luminae, Blu or the Specialty restaurants. The only thing you can’t wear is shorts except from r the buffet.

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RMS Olympic said:

thanks

Tom

Then you should simply dress as you prefer and have a fantastic cruise!

• Like 4

It partly depends on where you are sailing, I think.  In general, Caribbean and Alaska are pretty in-formal, IMO.  We just sailed on Edge in the Caribbean.  Saw a few tuxes and gowns....you could count them on one hand.  My husband wore a suit just cause he likes to....I wore dressy evening pants and chiffon/flowy tops.  

I LOVE seeing people dress up, and once in a while we do.  But we do it for ourselves and for each other.  No one cares how you dress, unless you go for shorts and a tshirt!  Then you will get plenty of opinions!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RMS Olympic said:

thanks

Tom

I think you're better off with slacks and a nice print shirt and slipon loafers than a full on suit. If you really want to dress it up a nice summer type sports jacket will be fine. The Edge is much more Resort wear than formal wear.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One of my favorite parts of a cruise is the dressing for dinner.  I will be bringing sundresses for most evenings, and 1 gown when I sail Edge in November.  I never get to dress up, except for black tie work functions, which are, well, work.  I love to put my gowns to good use.  My husband does not wear a tux, but a navy blue suit.  The rest of the evenings he will wear collared tops with slacks.

• Like 4

@Flipflopsnfrozendrinks

Can't remember the last 'black tie work function'!  CoVID put the damper on a lot of things.  Last black tie event for many more likely to have been a black tie charity event, and when was the last time anyone attended one of those, either?

Probably won't bring the 'all out' attire on this cruise, but like you, we prefer to dress for dinner when the venue warrants it.  OK, not for an evening at Georgia Boys BBQ packing in a pound of ribs.  We get it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Actually you will find most folks dressing up for the evening chic evening in all restaurants, except maybe for the Oceanview.   Folks wear their best that evening.   A Navy or other sports code would be sufficient.   If you can’t wear or tolerate packing a tie, you’d be fine without it.   Polo shirts are better for the other evenings.

12 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I am surprised that shorts were worn in the restaurants in the evening, or are you talking about young boys?    Does Celebrity no longer air conditioning their ships?

We were on the Feb 2020 Edge cruise and we did see shorts in the MDR many evenings. Dress is very casual now, even on Chic nights.

Was on the Edge a few weeks ago, and on her again, now.  Pretty casual.  Last sailing, I didn’t see anything in the way of tuxes or gowns.  I did see a few in suits and dresses.  Not many, though. 

Generally speaking, the middle ground is most common.  That is, button shirts and slacks for men and pants/blouses and sun dresses for women.  You’ll see a few here and there that will be dressier, and a few here and there who choose to dress less than the norm.  But overall, chic night or not, the vast majority are in the middle ground.

As best as I can tell, no one is going to care much about your attire.  Actually, that’s a good way to be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Was on the Edge a few weeks ago, and on her again, now.  Pretty casual.  Last sailing, I didn’t see anything in the way of tuxes or gowns.  I did see a few in suits and dresses.  Not many, though. 

Generally speaking, the middle ground is most common.  That is, button shirts and slacks for men and pants/blouses and sun dresses for women.  You’ll see a few here and there that will be dressier, and a few here and there who choose to dress less than the norm.  But overall, chic night or not, the vast majority are in the middle ground.

As best as I can tell, no one is going to care much about your attire.  Actually, that’s a good way to be.

Bon Voyage and enjoy your cruise. 🥂

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 10:28 AM, graphicguy said:

This...^^^^^^^^^

• Like 3

On 8/13/2021 at 9:42 PM, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

It partly depends on where you are sailing, I think.  In general, Caribbean and Alaska are pretty in-formal, IMO.  We just sailed on Edge in the Caribbean.  Saw a few tuxes and gowns....you could count them on one hand.  My husband wore a suit just cause he likes to....I wore dressy evening pants and chiffon/flowy tops.  

I LOVE seeing people dress up, and once in a while we do.  But we do it for ourselves and for each other.  No one cares how you dress, unless you go for shorts and a tshirt!  Then you will get plenty of opinions!

What about shorts and a golf shirt? lol

On 8/15/2021 at 9:28 AM, graphicguy said:

It's all those degenerate gamblers!

• Haha 1