Celebrity Cruises shore excursions discriminates against guests over 65

MaureenM

Just got back from the Edge and found out I was not allowed to book some of the snorkeling catamaran tours in Roatan because i was older than 65. Had no help from the Shore Excursion staff who could not explain why I could go on one of the catamaran snorkel tours and not the one I wanted to go on. The description was basically the same I just didn’t want lunch included. There is also a requirement that guests be under 260 lbs but no one checks that. 

In most cases those requirements are set by the tour operator and not by the cruise line.  The age and weight restriction most likely determined by the tour operators insurance provider.  Sometimes the ace limit is 60 sometimes 70, weight restrictions also vary.  

DH is over the limit for a ships snorkel tour in Roatan  so he booked a independent tour. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, MaureenM said:

Just got back from the Edge and found out I was not allowed to book some of the snorkeling catamaran tours in Roatan because i was older than 65. Had no help from the Shore Excursion staff who could not explain why I could go on one of the catamaran snorkel tours and not the one I wanted to go on. The description was basically the same I just didn’t want lunch included. There is also a requirement that guests be under 260 lbs but no one checks that. 

It’s the vendor (and their insurance provider) not wanting lawsuits.  Annoying no doubt but it is what it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MaureenM said:

The prohibitions are usually the tour operators restrictions and not Celebrity.  Don't assume "Nobody checks".  I have done at least 3 excursions where people were denied on the van/bus because they didn't meet some requirement.  2 of those were for weight (on zip-lining tours).  They had a scale as you stepped on the bus they weighed you. The other one was a bike tour and I have no idea why that person was not allowed to go.  

This subject pops up from time to time and has for many years.  These are almost always based on insurance requirements, so you have little leeway to plead with them for exceptions.  Best advice is to check with third parties to see if they can accommodate you, but you're just out of luck if you can only take ship excursions.  Some restrictions are monitored more closely than others but it depends on what the excursion is.  Weight is always an issue for flying, zip-lining (minimum as well as maximum), or horseback riding and most vendors are pretty strict about it for safety reasons.  This is not unique to Celebrity, either.

Edited by bEwAbG

Weight limits may also be applied to excursions where one might not think it important, such as hiking trips through "remote" (or at least undeveloped, possibly questionable how remote it might be if a ship's excursion goes there) areas. These may be based on the ease of carrying someone back to medical help if they should become incapacitated.

Pretty much most things are based on risk-avoidance, just a matter of who is making the decision.

As a mid-seventies passenger who has been snorkeling and later diving since I was a pre-teen, I know the frustration of being unable to book an excursion because of such barriers.  Most Caribbean islands have decent to excellent shore diving opportunities, and we normally just rent a car (golf cart in Bonaire) and go out on a DIY snorkel day.

For Roátan, if you can't book what you want independently, passengers should just rent a car and head to West Bay and some of the other great spots.  https://www.snorkeling-report.com/destination/snorkeling-honduras/

• Like 4

Or Celebrities suppliers (insurance companies) recognize the increased risk for those over 65 participating in scuba diving and snorkeling. As a result they do not allow individuals over that age to participate.

The safety data is pretty clear concerning the number of incidents for those over 65 participating in those activities.

Celebrity requires its excursion operators to carry a specified level of insurance.  The cost of such insurance is considerably higher if the age limit is not in place.

For example

https://dtmag.com/thelibrary/divers-of-a-certain-age-scuba-diving-for-seniors/

Fatality rates increased dramatically with age. Among divers 15-25 years of age, the fatality rate was less than 10 per 100,000 members but increased to 30 per 100,000 among divers 65 years of age and older. High blood pressure is another factor to consider in assessing your fitness to dive.

Hawaii has had a number of cases with elderly snorkelers over the past few years

https://mauinow.com/2017/06/24/ask-a-maui-doctor-what-are-the-risks-of-snorkeling-over-the-age-of-50/

Also keep in mind that when snorkeling one may get lower oxygen levels, especially with the new full face mask snorkels due to higher volumes contained resulting is less effective CO2 clearance. Have been on some excursions where those have been banned.  

• Thanks 1

And another title could be: “Tours have age and weight restrictions because someone sued over their own bad choices”. this isn’t tour and insurance companies discriminating, they are just protecting themselves from us. 

Kind of like the guy laying in ICU gasping he wished he’d got the vaccine…….yup. 

Den

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Maureen, I can definitely understand your frustration!  My husband is fitter than the vast majority of 35 year olds and would be incensed if he found this out once onboard.  I do think it is the suppliers rule, however, since only Celebrity tours are permitted at many ports they should make people aware that many tours have an age limit of 65.   We were planning to book a Caribbean cruise for November/December but now that we know this we will probably go to Turks and Caicos (which we love!) instead.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mayleeman said:

The only thing worse than getting old is when people stop saying you don't look it.

You can always say your ten years older than you are, then they will tell you that you look good for your age.  I know someone who does that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, dkjretired said:

You can always say your ten years older than you are, then they will tell you that you look good for your age.  I know someone who does that. 

Yeah, but then the cashiers wouldn't card me anymore!

2 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Yeah, but then the cashiers wouldn't card me anymore!

Its funny how many establishments are now carding everyone.   We went to the movies at Disney Springs a few years back with wife and MIL who was 91 at the time.  We ordered a drink and MIL as well as us were carded.   My son works in a supermarket with a Beer Cafe and everyone is carded. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Its funny how many establishments are now carding everyone.   We went to the movies at Disney Springs a few years back with wife and MIL who was 91 at the time.  We ordered a drink and MIL as well as us were carded.   My son works in a supermarket with a Beer Cafe and everyone is carded. 

They do that purposely.  I know many people who work/run convenience stores and bars and there use to be so many confrontational issues when it was left to the front line workers and letting them use there judgement on whom to card. Easiest it needs to be all no matter age now. 

18 hours ago, Denny01 said:

And another title could be: “Tours have age and weight restrictions because someone sued over their own bad choices”. this isn’t tour and insurance companies discriminating, they are just protecting themselves from us. 

Kind of like the guy laying in ICU gasping he wished he’d got the vaccine…….yup. 

Den

D - you have the propensity to make me laugh, especially when it may not be appropriate for many... LOL

bon voyage

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cruise47 said:

Can you just take the snorkeling excursion and do not snorkel?

Doubt it. If it's an insurance issue they won't want anything to do with it. If you slipped and fell getting on the boat they would be liable.