Pre Cruise Covid Testing Quick turnaround!

bikevegas

Got a cruise with Princess leaving out on a Monday. Having to get tested 72 hours before, I assume that means I can tested on Friday.. My question is where could get me back test results quickly?  I'd like to test Friday and get the results back that day, Any suggestions ?  Thanks for your feedback!

• Like 1

We booked our pre cruise test with CVS in SW Florida.  They said we could get results on email or text within a few hours.

We cruise on 9/4, so we scheduled our test for the afternoon of 9/1.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, evandbob said:

We booked our pre cruise test with CVS in SW Florida.  They said we could get results on email or text within a few hours.

We cruise on 9/4, so we scheduled our test for the afternoon of 9/1.

Read the CVS fine print. No guarantee of results within targeted times.

Also, it is very important that folks are clear about their cruiseline’s and/or various itinerary destinations’ requirements for which test is required and who administers it.

The perfect example of this is the State of Hawaii which (currently), if you are unvaccinated, requires a very specific PCR test (to be completed w/i 72 hrs of arrival) by a lab on Hawaii’s “approved” list of providers.

42 minutes ago, bikevegas said:

Got a cruise with Princess leaving out on a Monday. Having to get tested 72 hours before, I assume that means I can tested on Friday.. My question is where could get me back test results quickly?  I'd like to test Friday and get the results back that day, Any suggestions ?  Thanks for your feedback!

See response #3 and then check to see if your originating airport has the appropriate lab/test/report window.

It really depends on what kind of test you need. Antigen and/or PCR are the most commonly requested. Antigen tests come back within minutes to hours. PCR tests usually takes days. Try to get antigen if its' permitted but those are harder to find.

Right now in our area many of the testing sites are running out of their allocated testing kits, so many are being turned away.

We cruise in October and I am hoping things settle down before we begin our search for a test…😳😳

14 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

Right now in our area many of the testing sites are running out of their allocated testing kits, so many are being turned away.

We cruise in October and I am hoping things settle down before we begin our search for a test…😳😳

Worth a restatement: know which test/lab/time frame applies across your entire door-to-door itinerary. That pop-up in the Wal-Mart parking lot may not meet some gov’t. entity’s mandates.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted above that we were getting tested Wed at a local CVS that said we could get results in a few hours....when we actually did the test, they said 1 or 2 days.

So we just got our results 36 hours after taking the test.  No wait or line at all.  Easy to printout.

The local DOH test site at Century Link Field had a 3 hour wait line up, and I have no idea how long those results will take.

Off to the Mardi Gras!  I got an email from Carnival that they will go to a 2 day test window for sailings starting Sept 13 and afterwards.

14 hours ago, evandbob said:

I posted above that we were getting tested Wed at a local CVS that said we could get results in a few hours....when we actually did the test, they said 1 or 2 days.

So we just got our results 36 hours after taking the test.  No wait or line at all.  Easy to printout.

The local DOH test site at Century Link Field had a 3 hour wait line up, and I have no idea how long those results will take.

Off to the Mardi Gras!  I got an email from Carnival that they will go to a 2 day test window for sailings starting Sept 13 and afterwards.

Thank you sooo much for the follow-up.  Reports of what people plan for, and then what actually happens, is extremely helpful.

I keep thinking that it is a great time to cruise now - IF - you are flexible and can handle last second changes.  And, IF you can afford the impact of not getting to board for reasons beyond your control.

Otherwise, might be wise to hold off for now.

I hate holding off.

I have a question please.  My flight leaves for Lisbon on Oct 6th.  The requirements state a PCR test OR an Antigen are acceptable.  The breakdown is on the United Website about what is needed. It also says the PCR test needs to be with 72 hours before departure and the Antigen would need to be 48 hours.

The PCR test would need to be dated no earlier than 10/3.  The Antigen no earlier than 10/4.  Just want to make sure I understand and do this right............I guess my question is, would I just need to go see the Pharmacist to figure out when to actually get the test so I have the results on time? Which test would be better? It is confusing because I flew to Athens in July and did not even need a test. Greece only wanted to see my vaxx card!

49 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I have a question please.  My flight leaves for Lisbon on Oct 6th.  The requirements state a PCR test OR an Antigen are acceptable.  The breakdown is on the United Website about what is needed. It also says the PCR test needs to be with 72 hours before departure and the Antigen would need to be 48 hours.

The PCR test would need to be dated no earlier than 10/3.  The Antigen no earlier than 10/4.  Just want to make sure I understand and do this right............I guess my question is, would I just need to go see the Pharmacist to figure out when to actually get the test so I have the results on time? Which test would be better? It is confusing because I flew to Athens in July and did not even need a test. Greece only wanted to see my vaxx card!

When you say “pharmacy” (e.g., CVS), realize that cited results windows (e.g., 48-72 hrs for a more widely accepted PCR test) are not always “guaranteed.” CVS makes a big issue out of repeating that when you call for an appointment (and not all CVS shops do it).

You can also check back with United about what testing is done at your departure airport. Locally (here at SFO) you can get PCR tests with results before boarding. 

37 minutes ago, BruceMuzz said:

I fly frequently out of Tokyo.

A PCR Test here will cost me between $20 and $40, with guaranteed results in 4 or 5 hours.

An Antigen Test costs $10, with results in 15 minutes.

Why does it take so much longer in the USA, and cost so much more?

That is 64 million $ question about medical stuff here.........why? it is called "insurance companies + red tape + ALOT of B.S".😩

16 hours ago, Lois R said:

the time is for when you take the test, not when the results come in. So you can take the pcr 10/3 or the antigen 10/4. Antigen usually comes back in a number of hours. Pcr comes back in a number of days. Antigen is by far the safer bet. And you could also see if a supervised at home antigen test is permitted, those five results in 15 minutes.

20 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

the time is for when you take the test, not when the results come in. So you can take the pcr 10/3 or the antigen 10/4. Antigen usually comes back in a number of hours. Pcr comes back in a number of days. Antigen is by far the safer bet. And you could also see if a supervised at home antigen test is permitted, those five results in 15 minutes.

Thanks........I fly out on 10/6. Those are the dates listed on the United website......my best thing would be to get the test the day before I fly out (with negative results of course😉)

22 hours ago, Lois R said:

Lois -- I used CVS for my antigen test prior to flying out for my Alaska cruise. I had no issues whatsoever, the process was easy and the results were in hand within an hour. When the results are available, they will call you first and then send an email with a link to where you can print the results out.

The only thing I'd recommend is that you sign up for your desired time/day as soon as it becomes available on their website. With so many modes of travel now requiring testing, I am reading that in some places the testing slots get grabbed up quickly.

35 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Lois -- I used CVS for my antigen test prior to flying out for my Alaska cruise. I had no issues whatsoever, the process was easy and the results were in hand within an hour. When the results are available, they will call you first and then send an email with a link to where you can print the results out.

The only thing I'd recommend is that you sign up for your desired time/day as soon as it becomes available on their website. With so many modes of travel now requiring testing, I am reading that in some places the testing slots get grabbed up quickly.

Hi Cynthia🙂 I actually looked on line at the CVS that is right near me. It looks like reservations are for about 10 days at a time. I will keep checking to see when Oct pops up.

Thanks so much!

It was designed for travel. They have a package deal that includes the monitored version. They are currently sold out on their site, but are still selling through pharmacies, etc; you can set up the monitoring on their site for $15.

Edited by jwattle

On 9/4/2021 at 7:53 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

When you say “pharmacy” (e.g., CVS), realize that cited results windows (e.g., 48-72 hrs for a more widely accepted PCR test) are not always “guaranteed.” CVS makes a big issue out of repeating that when you call for an appointment (and not all CVS shops do it).

You can also check back with United about what testing is done at your departure airport. Locally (here at SFO) you can get PCR tests with results before boarding. 

Hi again, my airport does not offer testing at this point. SFO is MUCH more updated that JAX.

On 9/5/2021 at 9:27 PM, BruceMuzz said:

I fly frequently out of Tokyo.

A PCR Test here will cost me between $20 and $40, with guaranteed results in 4 or 5 hours.

An Antigen Test costs $10, with results in 15 minutes.

Why does it take so much longer in the USA, and cost so much more?

I live in Tokyo and need the PRC test to travel to the USA. And I like you see the costs of the tests ranging from $20-$40, and then jumping from $200 to $400, depending on the clinic.

My perception was that the "cheapie" $20-$40 tests were not good enough to be accepted for boarding planes, and the places that do tests for $20-$40 most likely will not issue PCR-negative certificates and especially not in English. It would be crazy to spend $200+ , if the $20 test will do. 

Since you frequently fly out of Tokyo, it would be great if you can comment on the above, please, and tell your experiences and if you have had any issues at the airport.

Flying out of Tokyo, when my company is paying, I get the more expensive PCR tests. When I am paying, I go for the less expensive ones.

I cannot see much difference between them.

Some of the less expensive labs take a bit longer - 24 hours or so. Locations are not as convenient as the more costly places. And I might have to jump through a few more hoops to get the results.

If the results are in Japanese, the people at the airport can read them. Even if they couldn't, the QR Code on the form can easily be read in several languages.

Otherwise, no difference.