I'v had it p to here.... with protocols and wondering.....

bjlaac

When we will be getting information on the requirements for cruises the rest of the year.  I have a final payment deadline due in early September and if the current protocols are in effect for my December sailing I'm probably going to cancel  our trip.  What actually became the last straw was the 3 day testing at our expense.  It negated any savings we made by booking over a year ago. 

We've been on over 40 cruises and the hoops just are not worth it to us and don't want to lay out thousands of $$$ knowing we will most likely cancel if the current requirements remain in effect.  For all you kind folks that don't mind the current protocols, good for you, I wish we felt the same way.  Sorry to create a new thread, just can't seem to find any information for the September and after sailings.

• Like 2

Nobody (including the cruise lines) knows for sure what the protocols will be next week, and you're asking cc posters what the protocols will be for the rest of the year?  I understand your concern/frustration, but your crystal ball is most likely as clear as anyone else's guess.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 13

14 minutes ago, bjlaac said:

When we will be getting information on the requirements for cruises the rest of the year.  I have a final payment deadline due in early September and if the current protocols are in effect for my December sailing I'm probably going to cancel  our trip.  What actually became the last straw was the 3 day testing at our expense.  It negated any savings we made by booking over a year ago. 

We've been on over 40 cruises and the hoops just are not worth it to us and don't want to lay out thousands of $$$ knowing we will most likely cancel if the current requirements remain in effect.  For all you kind folks that don't mind the current protocols, good for you, I wish we felt the same way.  Sorry to create a new thread, just can't seem to find any information for the September and after sailings.

I understand your frustration but going into winter with all the normal winter virus's and delta on the rise I don't think things will improve,  best to hope that they will stay the same but hey ,who knows,  not even the  experts have got it right 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bjlaac said:

What actually became the last straw was the 3 day testing at our expense.  It negated any savings we made by booking over a year ago. 

?? Here in Florida the testing is free.  We have appointments at Walmart three days before our September sailing.  Our savings are still intact.  

Four cruises already this summer and all were enjoyable, although somewhat different from pre-covid.  28 cruises booked between now and May 2022, and looking forward to each one of these, whatever the protocols.

• Like 3

I understand your frustration. There is no way of knowing what will happen, but I expect these protocols to be in place.  It is the flu season.  We cancelled our JS on Odyssey for December rather than tie up more than we can use by the time the FCCs expire. 

If there are balcony cabins available at a great price on another ship closer to that date, we will probably book.  Otherwise, it’s a land vacation for us.  

• Like 1

It hasnt even been 2 days since the bahamas came out with new rules and rcl changed their protocols that all over 12 have to be vaccinated. 

How can rcl forecast what the next ports will change to? Or when vaccines available for under 12.

Asking for the impossible .. 

Fyi I hate the new testing, but other than cancelling not many choices lol. 

• Like 2

At both Rite-Aid & CVS (VA) testing is free.  A poster above stated that testing is free in FL.  You may not have any out of pocket expense for the pre-embarkation COVID testing depending upon where you are located.  I would check around to see what major chain pharmacies in your area charge, if anything.  

22 minutes ago, pasodancer said:

At both Rite-Aid & CVS (VA) testing is free.  A poster above stated that testing is free in FL.  You may not have any out of pocket expense for the pre-embarkation COVID testing depending upon where you are located.  I would check around to see what major chain pharmacies in your area charge, if anything.  

Just make sure you get the test back in time.  I know that you 'should' but I am a nervous nelly about those kind of things and would prefer to have the document in hand sooner rather than later.  I found a place in VA that guarantees next day results.  They do same day too but more expensive and not necessary.

It is worth the extra money to me.

3 hours ago, bjlaac said:

I have a final payment deadline due in early September and if the current protocols are in effect for my December sailing I'm probably going to cancel  our trip. 

Unfortunately, with the rapid rise of the Delta varient, future COVID protocols are probably going to be more restrictive, not less.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bjlaac said:

I understand your frustration, but anyone who booked cruises after April, 2020 was IMO willing to take a gamble with when cruises would start back up and what the protocols would be - exactly why I haven’t booked anything new and won’t until cruising offers me a product that is relaxed and stress free.

I have a cruise for January that was booked in the fall of 2019, so I’m going ahead with that, but nothing else.

Edited by mek

7 minutes ago, mek said:

I understand your frustration, but anyone who booked cruises after April, 2020 was IMO willing to take a gamble with when cruises would start back up and what the protocols would be - exactly why I haven’t booked anything new and won’t until cruising offers me a product that is relaxed and stress free.

I have a cruise for January that was booked in the fall of 2019, so I’m going ahead with that, but nothing else.

Agreed.  They cancelled our January 2022 cruise and we were glad - just received the non refundable deposit back 🙂   It was an old one that had first lifted and shifted to January 2021......    No plans to book anything for a while.  RCCL is lucky there are people willing to put up with tests, masks, onboard/port restrictions, tracelets, etc etc etc.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1

Maryland, NY, NC, NJ,PA, VA, GA, SC, CT, FL, AZ, CA,  are just a few states that I know of with free testing . Just Google it- I honestly only know of college students being charged a nominal fee for the twice-weekly testing they had one semester prior to vaccine availability. 
mid yooa re buying a test online to be monitored via zoom- that's another story. But you should most definitely be able to find a free Covid test if you are  in the USA.

4 hours ago, bjlaac said:

If your not flexible, just cancel.  My sept Allure cruise will be my first time getting a COVID test. 

That said, sailing at reduced capacity is great, based on my Aug 1st Celebrity cruise.

Edited by PTC DAWG

I agree already canceled my Celebrity cruise for Christmas and NYE had very expensive Retreat room booked and they are making u wear tracking devices on the ship so if u come into close contact with someone that has Covid u are now quarantined. Well I am like screw that I am not going to be punished to my room on a cruise that I spent a bunch of money on . Bye … we are off to Hawaii. When cruising gets it act together we will be back . Have a bunch booked between 21 -23 guess keep canceling until things straighten up . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pasodancer said:

But good luck finding an appointment….l just looked at CVS at or near Nashville nothing for Rapid test within 60 miles . Within 2 weeks. Our local Kroger is down 2 days out now on Rapid testing. Said they can’t keep up testing supplies. 

• Like 1

I mean, this is why I don't currently have any cruises booked. I know that for me, the rapidly evolving covid situation and resulting rapidly evolving rules would just make me anxious. And I don't want to be anxious about a vacation, so I'm not booking cruises now. I think it's unrealistic to assume that the rules will be known in advance and won't change last-minute because that's just life with the rapidly evolving covid situation, if you want to cruise you need to realize things can change.

Edited by rabidstoat

36 minutes ago, frito58 said:

But good luck finding an appointment….l just looked at CVS at or near Nashville nothing for Rapid test within 60 miles . Within 2 weeks. Our local Kroger is down 2 days out now on Rapid testing. Said they can’t keep up testing supplies. 

In case you want a back pocket option, you can grab a pack of these (RCI accepts THESE tests): https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en

Here's your state site for tracking testing options: https://covid19.tn.gov/testing-sites/

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, frito58 said:

I agree already canceled my Celebrity cruise for Christmas and NYE had very expensive Retreat room booked and they are making u wear tracking devices on the ship so if u come into close contact with someone that has Covid u are now quarantined. Well I am like screw that I am not going to be punished to my room on a cruise that I spent a bunch of money on . Bye … we are off to Hawaii. When cruising gets it act together we will be back . Have a bunch booked between 21 -23 guess keep canceling until things straighten up . 

Just keep in mind the rules for travel to Hawaii may also change again.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, frito58 said:

There are several options 5 minutes from my home here in NJ that I can walk in without an appointment and test, PCR results the next day.

• Like 1