Mask Wearing Update

lovetocruise0999

Hello everyone! 

I am curious to see if Celebrity takes the initiative of mask wearing since CDC updated recommendations over the weekend. I am curious as to why Royal and even Carnival require mask wearing but Celebrity doesn’t. Recently was on Edge and no masks but yet 8 positive covid cases and last week on Royal with masks and no covid cases. Interesting times but I wonder why?

Celebrity initially committed to operating cruises with 95%+ of passengers vaccinated so the CDC advised that masks and social distancing were not required. Royal and Carnival did not make that promise to maintain a highly vaccinate ship so they had different guidelines.

As we know things are now incredibly different than when that decision was made. I would not be shocked at all to see updated requirements come down from Celebrity this week. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lovetocruise0999 said:

mask wearing but Celebrity doesn’

They do on Silhouette, in all indoor spaces, except when seated in the bars and restaurants. 
There were constant announcements before the shows, but many passengers choose to take drinks from the bar in Celebrity Central into the theatre, so avoiding wearing a mask.

No member of staff was checking.

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

In the summary at the very bottom I would believe that Celebrity is already in compliance since Celebrity is sailing at 95% vax for Crew and PAX

The bit you highlighted is the part they are asking the cruise lines to reconsider...

• Like 3

We were on the Aug 15th sailing of Equinox and among the very few who chose to wear masks or socially distance in public areas aboard the ship.  With that said, however, my spouse has a chronic health condition that would likely exacerbate the risk if she contracted Covid, so, despite being vaccinated, we tend to take additional precautions that others may not deem necessary.  I do understand that everyone has to make behavioral choices for themselves in accordance with their own risk tolerance and masking is one of those decisions. I find myself "mixed" on the question of mandatory mask policies.  I don't mean to instigate a discussion on the efficacy of masks for I recognize there are strong differences of opinion on such matters but my own view (based on reading an array of independent peer-reviewed singular research studies and meta--analyses conducted by non-political sources) is that while masks are not a panacea, a properly fitted mask does afford some degree of protection against spreading and/or contracting illness.  Yet, I also realize that masks can be uncomfortable and a nuisance.  The challenging question is whether responses to this global pandemic should - or can -  be left to individual decisions based on one's personal preferences. Or,  are some sort of mandated collective actions (e.g. requiring masks in public areas onboard) that are predicated upon the responsibility we all share as members of a community warranted to stem this pandemic?  It certainly cannot be easy for Celebrity, or any cruise line, to balance such disparate preferences.  Glad I am not charged with that decision!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Bluewake said:

We were on the Aug 15th sailing of Equinox and among the very few who chose to wear masks or socially distance in public areas aboard the ship.  With that said, however, my spouse has a chronic health condition that would likely exacerbate the risk if she contracted Covid, so, despite being vaccinated, we tend to take additional precautions that others may not deem necessary.  I do understand that everyone has to make behavioral choices for themselves in accordance with their own risk tolerance and masking is one of those decisions. I find myself "mixed" on the question of mandatory mask policies.  I don't mean to instigate a discussion on the efficacy of masks for I recognize there are strong differences of opinion on such matters but my own view (based on reading an array of independent peer-reviewed singular research studies and meta--analyses conducted by non-political sources) is that while masks are not a panacea, a properly fitted mask does afford some degree of protection against spreading and/or contracting illness.  Yet, I also realize that masks can be uncomfortable and a nuisance.  The challenging question is whether responses to this global pandemic should - or can -  be left to individual decisions based on one's personal preferences. Or,  are some sort of mandated collective actions (e.g. requiring masks in public areas onboard) that are predicated upon the responsibility we all share as members of a community warranted to stem this pandemic?  It certainly cannot be easy for Celebrity, or any cruise line, to balance such disparate preferences.  Glad I am not charged with that decision!

Not really a mandate at this point.  We wore masks for over a year until the CDC lifted the guidance for the fully vaccinated.  They are watching Delta and now are recommending (not mandating) masks indoors in areas of the US that exceed a certain level of virus prevalence.  Some states and areas have taken it upon themselves to respond to this.  Others have not.  Not all parts of the US are over the threshold (yet).  Celebrity ships are fully vaccinated and everybody is tested pre-cruise.  Not fool-proof but pretty safe compared to most situations on land.  Everyone has their own health situation and risk tolerance.  For most, IMO there is little need for masks on board these Celebrity ships and there have been only a tiny handful of positive tests and definitely no outbreaks.  Without masks even with Delta the predominant strain around for several months.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

In the summary at the very bottom I would believe that Celebrity is already in compliance since Celebrity is sailing at 95% vax for Crew and PAX

image.png.a4a2b6cd9ec2319ccac1df78c7661bf0.png

Jim for my upcoming cruise Sept 24 out of Seattle, I got a call from Celebrity today from corporate in Miami. They wanted to verify my vaccination status and remind me about the 3 day testing requirement.  They said masking on board is still not required.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's as simple as this - if you are concerned about transmission of virus from not wearing a mask, and/or are in a vulnerable group (from a health perspective) you are free to mask-up whenever you see fit.  Nothing is stopping folks from doing this, regardless of cruiseline/CDC guidelines.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Jim for my upcoming cruise Sept 24 out of Seattle, I got a call from Celebrity today from corporate in Miami. They wanted to verify my vaccination status and remind me about the 3 day testing requirement.  They said masking on board is still not required.

Good to hear.    We declared our Vax status when making the reservation and it shows on our booking receipt so we never had a call to verify.    We have however been getting e-mail about every other day about the testing requirements.      I'm due to be tested on Thursday so have been very conscious of wearing masks the past week while out walking.  

Having said that we have regulations in our County in California that requires mask for any indoor location regardless of Vax status.    On  my daily 10 mile walk I would say 90% of people I come across are masked and step into the street to assure social distancing.    I'm sure each area is different but our Vax rate is 87% with at least 1 dose and 82% with 2 doses.  

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

I was on the Edge Aug. 14th Cruise. At first I was very concerned that people weren't wearing masks as I hadn't gone out without a mask for many months. After a day or so I realized that this was one of the safest places on earth with 100% over 12 vaccinated and 100% negative test results within 3 days of the cruise. I thereafter did not mask up, even in elevators or close up trivia tables. As far as I know, there were no positive tests on board. To make my wife feel better, we both took an antigen test last week with negative results.

• Like 4

we are on Millenium right now in Alaska.  No masks are required anywhere on the ship for guests.  The entire crew is wearing masks at all times.  Masks are required when we get off the ship in the Alaskan towns, but again, not required on the ship for guests.  I understand we are 100% vaccinated on this cruise

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Celebrity initially committed to operating cruises with 95%+ of passengers vaccinated so the CDC advised that masks and social distancing were not required. Royal and Carnival did not make that promise to maintain a highly vaccinate ship so they had different guidelines.

As we know things are now incredibly different than when that decision was made. I would not be shocked at all to see updated requirements come down from Celebrity this week. 

However Princess and HAL also went the full vaccination route and changed to include masks in some areas when the CDC changed their advisory that even fully vaccinated individuals should mask.

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Good to hear.    We declared our Vax status when making the reservation and it shows on our booking receipt so we never had a call to verify.    We have however been getting e-mail about every other day about the testing requirements.      I'm due to be tested on Thursday so have been very conscious of wearing masks the past week while out walking.  

Having said that we have regulations in our County in California that requires mask for any indoor location regardless of Vax status.    On  my daily 10 mile walk I would say 90% of people I come across are masked and step into the street to assure social distancing.    I'm sure each area is different but our Vax rate is 87% with at least 1 dose and 82% with 2 doses.  

I'm in that 90%.  We mask up when passing people and step away whenever possible, even though months ago we were told you're unlikely to get Covid just passing people.  We do it both to protect everyone and also to make others feel comfortable.

• Like 2

They're still requiring everyone over 12 years old to be vaccinated and everyone over 2 years old to have a negative COVID test result within 3 days of sailing.  I think those are the reasons they're limiting mask wearing requirements to only those unvaccinated.

Their sister, Royal, on the other hand, is really a mish mash.  Unvaccinated aren't allowed in many venues and activities.  And, mask wearing is required boy both vaccinated and unvaccinated per their stipulations.  

Wouldn't sail Royal right now as a result.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, nocl said:

However Princess and HAL also went the full vaccination route and changed to include masks in some areas when the CDC changed their advisory that even fully vaccinated individuals should mask.

Princess and HAL changed their tune due to Carnival Corp getting a little scared by the 20-30 cases on that Carnival Vista cruise a few weeks ago. Initially they didn't have such stringent requirements. The CDC recommending more mask usage just came down on Friday. 

On 8/30/2021 at 11:21 AM, upwarduk said:

They do on Silhouette, in all indoor spaces, except when seated in the bars and restaurants. 
There were constant announcements before the shows, but many passengers choose to take drinks from the bar in Celebrity Central into the theatre, so avoiding wearing a mask.

No member of staff was checking.

What does the bar and theatre have to do with wearing a mask?  I know I'm missing something.

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

What does the bar and theatre have to do with wearing a mask?  I know I'm missing something.

The clue was 'Silhouette' ...

She is currently sailing under different rules on UK only cruises.

So masks have to be worn at all times when inside except when eating/drinking and gatherings outside of your own reservation group are not encouraged.

In the theatre they are not providing a bar service and ask that everyone keeps the masks on as it will be harder to maintain separation.  So some are collecting a drink elsewhere and taking it in to justify removing their masks while seated. 

19 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

The clue was 'Silhouette' ...

She is currently sailing under different rules on UK only cruises.

So masks have to be worn at all times when inside except when eating/drinking and gatherings outside of your own reservation group are not encouraged.

In the theatre they are not providing a bar service and ask that everyone keeps the masks on as it will be harder to maintain separation.  So some are collecting a drink elsewhere and taking it in to justify removing their masks while seated. 

Sure hope they don't realize increased revenue due to bar sales and institute those protocols here....hate to have to take up drinking.

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Princess and HAL changed their tune due to Carnival Corp getting a little scared by the 20-30 cases on that Carnival Vista cruise a few weeks ago. Initially they didn't have such stringent requirements. The CDC recommending more mask usage just came down on Friday. 

CDC changed their mask use recommendations for indoor environments, even when vaccinated, a few weeks ago with Delta (around July 30).  Some areas adopted them, some have not, but the recommendation for those vaccinated to wear masks was made well before Friday.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 1