Will RCCL start doing their own rapid testing at the Port for all passengers?

bren61

What gets me is there is plenty of vaccine available without any hassle getting an appt but for testing it's almost impossible at least in Fla. I'm in the process of re arranging things strictly because of the 72 hr testing issue

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smalltimecruiser100 said:

What gets me is there is plenty of vaccine available without any hassle getting an appt but for testing it's almost impossible at least in Fla. I'm in the process of re arranging things strictly because of the 72 hr testing issue

It's not 72 hours its three days.  you can test any time on that day, no matter what time the ship is scheduled to depart.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, orville99 said:

What stress would you be under if you flew in to cruise and tested positive at the port?

Because now you're stuck quarantining at the port. Once tested positive, you can no longer fly home. You  can't take a train home. You can't rent a car. You need to isolate for at least 10 days at your own expense. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, orville99 said:

Would love to get some anecdotal reports on someone using this test to successfully board a cruise before we bite the bullet and order them.

If it's so easy for everyone to make a testing appointment that won't get cancelled, why do you need a home test?

10 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

If it's so easy for everyone to make a testing appointment that won't get cancelled, why do you need a home test?

And also even if your test is not cancelled, the lab may take longer than 3 days to return your test results because of the high demand.  The approved home test is a backup plan.  

• Like 4

Even Don from Don's Family Vacations on youtube is having fears about his Princess b2b out of Seattle leaving soon, afraid that Princess will switch to the CDC's 2-day window recommendation for testing, and evidently his local Canadian testing options are limited to two days a week now, so he's afraid he'll have to spend his short time in Seattle hunting down a test, and then do the same in reverse, when he needs a PCR test results within 72 hours to get back in Canada. He's already been stuck in the US after a Celebrity cruise because they lost his on-board test, and had to cancel the Mardi Gras because they wouldn't give him a test to fly home afterwards. So if a professional TA and the most-watched cruise blogger on youtube is freaking out over changing protocols and testing requirements, then maybe cruise lines should start paying attention to the distress and confusion of passengers and offering them the same comfort that NCL is providing with pre-cruise free testing, which RCL and MSC both provided until they decided to shove the responsibility onto cruisers, at a time when many are afraid to cruise at all because of Delta and breakthrough cases. It's a stupid, stupid move, especially when NCL is offering free testing and the reassurance of 100% vaccination over lost revenue from kids. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, rj59 said:

Even Don from Don's Family Vacations on youtube is having fears about his Princess b2b out of Seattle leaving soon, afraid that Princess will switch to the CDC's 2-day window recommendation for testing, and evidently his local Canadian testing options are limited to two days a week now, so he's afraid he'll have to spend his short time in Seattle hunting down a test, and then do the same in reverse, when he needs a PCR test results within 72 hours to get back in Canada. He's already been stuck in the US after a Celebrity cruise because they lost his on-board test, and had to cancel the Mardi Gras because they wouldn't give him a test to fly home afterwards. So if a professional TA and the most-watched cruise blogger on youtube is freaking out over changing protocols and testing requirements, then maybe cruise lines should start paying attention to the distress and confusion of passengers and offering them the same comfort that NCL is providing with pre-cruise free testing, which RCL and MSC both provided until they decided to shove the responsibility onto cruisers, at a time when many are afraid to cruise at all because of Delta and breakthrough cases. It's a stupid, stupid move, especially when NCL is offering free testing and the reassurance of 100% vaccination over lost revenue from kids. 

I like Don but he has getting a bit negative and whiny lately.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, mauraoel said:

It's not 72 hours its three days.  you can test any time on that day, no matter what time the ship is scheduled to depart.

Sorry, I meant three days however by math 24 x 3 does equal 72. 

7 hours ago, rj59 said:

There are risks for people coming to the US from other countries and as a TA he should be aware of the issues and have back up plans tbh.  Right now he is making more of his negative videos than he is off being a TA.  The obvious easy solution would be an Abbott BianaxNOW AG Card tests, these are approved for travel back to the US (used one to get home from Puerto Vallarta) but not sure about Canada but that would be for him to investigate.  Instead of playing on peoples fears he should be sharing useful information that can help others but I suspect that wouldn't get him paid from Youtube as much.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Because now you're stuck quarantining at the port. Once tested positive, you can no longer fly home. You  can't take a train home. You can't rent a car. You need to isolate for at least 10 days at your own expense. 

You missed the point. Your assessment of the outcome is accurate, but my point was why would anyone take that risk and rely on testing by the cruise line at the port in the first place. 

2 hours ago, royalnewbie said:

There are risks for people coming to the US from other countries and as a TA he should be aware of the issues and have back up plans tbh.  Right now he is making more of his negative videos than he is off being a TA.  The obvious easy solution would be an Abbott BianaxNOW AG Card tests, these are approved for travel back to the US (used one to get home from Puerto Vallarta) but not sure about Canada but that would be for him to investigate.  Instead of playing on peoples fears he should be sharing useful information that can help others but I suspect that wouldn't get him paid from Youtube as much.

I cant agree with you more. He is actually inflicting fear into people cruising right now. 

3 minutes ago, ryano said:

I bet Royal follows suit too.  I just read in another thread that Carnival is working on setting up testing sites at their ports

Yup  I don't think there is any chance Royal is NOT going to change as well.  I just saw that Carnival is working on doing the testing onsite at the ports for a fee