Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

7 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Mine does too if I go to the website through a browser.  It does let me through if I open the VPN on my phone then connect to my bank thru the app, not the website.  I'm sure it depends on the bank. 

We’ve had more trouble with banks wanting to send text verifications!  Even Att has done that on a few occasions.  They now send an email!   Their reason to verifying?  We hadn’t used the phone enough but they couldn’t tell us how much that was as often some minimal minutes had been used. 

fwiw, there used to be a problem with Dubai as they wanted everything to go through their servers and BlackBerry among others were not.  That I think was resolved or overcome by events! 

12 minutes ago, hcat said:

We are east coasters and enjoyed the Pacific Coastal itin.. Great ports and tours.. It was  a nice relaxing cruise along the w coast  & ended just before big fires out there.... It was one of our fav cruises although Infinity was showing her age.

After that cruise , we booked the east  coast Summit itin that would have included Newport,  Charleston....

It was not to be thanks to the  start of Covid..which is why we have a big FCC..

The uncertainty of the Celeb delay in pulling the plug made us VERY nervous so we cancelled before X did. We ended up with a 50% cash refund and the big FCC which we hope to use in Jan.. ..after so many cancellations and a lift and shift  to Reflection.

That itinerary on the summit is in May this year.  I’ve been eying it but have a conflict this year.  

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

8 hours ago, bobka said:

Since everyone is making recommendations, consider anything by Tim Dorsey or Carl Hiassen for some good laughs about Florida. Hiassen's Skinny Dip is a classic about cruising...

Just listened to Skinny Dip on audio - really enjoyed it!

7 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Here is the updated suggested reading list.  I’ll keep tracking it for everyone and will post an updated version every little bit so that those of you needing something to read NOW can make use of the suggestions.  😀. If you’re like me you want to have lots of options at hand so you are never without a great book!        Joanie 

Joanie, the Cork O'Connor books by William Kent Krueger are a series.  He also has some standalone books which are also excellent.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I'm booked on that itinerary in May 2022.  Third time trying to do that one.  Maybe third time is the charm?

I’m hoping for 2023.  And I should have said this coming year! I forget when the years change when there are 3 New Years! 

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

Foodie pics.  We had Murano again tonight, which means I ordered Lobster.  Sophia ordered the risotto to start with and thought it was excellent.  We had 2 tables around us that ordered the risotto as well and all loved it.  We had veal and lobster for the main course.  Sophia also loved the Valrhona Cocoa Croquant.

I’m not changing our view of liking Tuscan over Murano, but wanted to add it’s a different dining experience.  IMO, Murano is a dinner experience while Tuscan is dinner.  Food was great again tonight and know why Jim/Lain love the food here.

D0FC57C2-975A-4DEF-AF48-C7B0C401C882.jpeg

F2DE7C4F-8DA7-4B6F-BCA2-8415C7B7127F.jpeg

62873926-2C5F-4D5F-BED4-191C4E29303E.jpeg

D3444D37-A6E3-4807-8BCA-9CF6EB5D0A50.jpeg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, funatseascott said:

We only went to the pier shopping area, so no pictures or real fun.  On a side note, it was a productive stop.  I love the Chairman’s Reserve Spiced Rum from here, so picked up a few bottles.  It’s one of my favorites and not costly at all.

I am known to enjoy a good glass of dark rum and also found the Chairman's Reserve Spiced Rum to my liking even though I normally avoid spiced rums. (Ron Zacapa 23 is my 'go to') 

I haven't been on cruise critic really since Thursday - yesterday we arrived at Disneyland and we were in the park pretty much all day today.

I did want to comment on 9/11.  My sister lives in NY.  One of our cousins worked downtown.  she walked from lower Manhattan to the Upper East side and showed up at my sister's apartment.  Her clothes were so filthy they burned them.  My sister gave her some sweats to wear, and cousin stayed until she could get home the next day. (She had a very moving article about it in her local newspaper - now in California, but you have to subscribe to see it).

Exactly one year later, my youngest niece was born.  Her middle name is Hope, named for the local fire station.  Today (now yesterday) was her 19th birthday.

The memorial is very moving.  We liked the museum, but thought it could be better edited.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, abbydancer said:

I haven't been on cruise critic really since Thursday - yesterday we arrived at Disneyland and we were in the park pretty much all day today.

I did want to comment on 9/11.  My sister lives in NY.  One of our cousins worked downtown.  she walked from lower Manhattan to the Upper East side and showed up at my sister's apartment.  Her clothes were so filthy they burned them.  My sister gave her some sweats to wear, and cousin stayed until she could get home the next day. (She had a very moving article about it in her local newspaper - now in California, but you have to subscribe to see it).

Exactly one year later, my youngest niece was born.  Her middle name is Hope, named for the local fire station.  Today (now yesterday) was her 19th birthday.

The memorial is very moving.  We liked the museum, but thought it could be better edited.

My old boss’s daughter made a similar trek after stopping to get coffee at the trade center about 5 minutes earlier and then heading, I believe, toward her class.  As I recall it took her hours to walk to a friends.  I suspect there are many stories about those that seemed walk forever to get to a place to stay.  

I should have been driving by the Pentagon around the time it was hit, but on the other side.  (I had a dentist appt that changed my schedule.) At the time I worked in Crystal City, in a building that had glass all around such that many saw the plane way too low heard the crash and smelled the burning roof tar for weeks.  Even there many left cars at work because there was no way to drive home.  

It took me about a week to locate friends who worked in the Pentagon, many who were regularly in other parts of the building than where our offices had been.   

It’s good to hear stories of those that survived, like your cousin.  No one I know will ever forget those lost to hatred.  One day I hope to visit the New York memorial too. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Unfortunately my bank blocks ip's from both my vpn programs no matter which usa City I connect to as well as opera browser's built in vpn 😞

Try tunnel  bear as  someone else recommended.   I use it when the main VPN sites are blocked.   They have a setting -  I forget what that works even in China.     Play with they different VPN protocals -  I believe there are about 4 for different purposes.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I reconfirmed today that YES you can use your OBC and direct it to an INDIVIDUAL as oppose to a tip pool.    

If you want a tip to go to an individual you write the person's name and position on the card (there is no place for it just write it anywhere). 

If you want it to go to a restaurant like Murano you specify the restaurant. 

If you check a box like Stateroom Attendant or Butler it goes to the pool

I was told the Concierge could help me do it and even put in their employee number.

I had previously been told this by an HR Director who physically applied the tips but wanted to confirm again as I want to use some of my OBC for extra tips instead of buying something we don't want or need.

Great information to know.  We have wasted OBC in the past along with leaving extra tips, so now we can “spend” it smartly for the staff that makes our vacations so special.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

9/11 Dinner 

We again did a mix and match with  the Main Dining Room menu.  I ended up ordering both Starter and Entre from Main Menu -   Blue Cheese and Pear Turnover and the Chicken Roulade.  Both were excellent .      Iain had the Pate for a starter (large enough for 4) and the sweetbread starter as a main.   He didn't want them supersized but they upsized them anyway. 

That’s good to know that some starters are of a larger size than minuscule. I ordered prawns ( on Silhouette)as I often do, and I was served 2! I mentioned it to the Maitre’D and  she said ‘I will put 2 servings down.’

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks.    We have never done Pacific Coastal but would be interesting as we live South of San Francisco.  

We did the Pacific Coastal on X and loved it.  We had the "C" class helicopter pad party for the sail into SF.  We came close to Alcatraz and saw the Golden Gate bridge up close and personal.  We had overnight in SF and walked up to Coit Tower and then back down to the ship on the stairs cutting through the gardens and landings of hillside homes scattered down Telegraph Hill.  We stumbled on the path entrance and it was a delightful and serendipitous  experience.  You should go on that cruise.

35 minutes ago, ROYALBOY said:

Good idea to peruse the MDR menu. We will be in BLU in October but once in awhile nothing quite hits the spot.

If you're in Blu on an S class, don't be surprised if they don't let you order of the main dining room menu.  

Luminae is "carved" from the corner of the main dining room, so uses the same kitchen (maybe they have a special area, but it's the same place).  Blue has it's own kitchen, and is on a different deck, so not easy to order off the main menu, except by maybe by special order day before.   On the M class, Blue is just above Luminae, on the same deck as the upper dining room, so shares the kitchen.

• Like 1