"Mighty Cruise Ships"

JillK

9 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I can't wait to see this weeks show re:  Nieuw Statendam, as I'm suppose to sail on her next August.  I love this series.  

Alberta Quilter:  How was your train trip?

Our last cruise pre-pandemic was on the Nieuw Statendam. She's a lovely ship and a joy to cruise on.

On 9/3/2021 at 7:49 AM, poffles said:

This has already aired previously (assume in US) in 2020/21.  When I first seen the promo for Canadian viewing I looked up to see what the ships would be ... here you go.   Agree with 'Sue from Canada' that AIDnova does not interest me at all and it even 'watched' boring to me, still interesting to see what's out there and it fills the gap on missing cruising right now.  Others to come look good, the  NCL Joy I believe is an Alaska sailing.

Season 4.PNG

I am sailing on the Costa Diadema in December. I don't have discovery but have Crave and the older series are on that. Seems like I have to get discovery now LOL.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I can't wait to see this weeks show re:  Nieuw Statendam, as I'm suppose to sail on her next August.  I love this series.  

It was really good.  Crappy weather on departure day, though, so we couldn't see any mountains!  (We had lovely weather for the drive to Jasper the day before.)  But the weather and scenery got better as we got closer to the coast.  Can't wait for our second trip next year!

BTW, in keeping with the theme of this thread, there is a similar show called Mighty Trains and they did a show on the Rocky Mountaineer.  It's part of Season 2.  It shows here in Canada on the Discovery channel. I just recorded the RM one yesterday so it is repeated.  I noticed that there is another episode on the Bergen and Flam railways which many cruisers are interested in. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

It was really good.  Crappy weather on departure day, though, so we couldn't see any mountains!  (We had lovely weather for the drive to Jasper the day before.)  But the weather and scenery got better as we got closer to the coast.  Can't wait for our second trip next year!

BTW, in keeping with the theme of this thread, there is a similar show called Mighty Trains and they did a show on the Rocky Mountaineer.  It's part of Season 2.  It shows here in Canada on the Discovery channel. I just recorded the RM one yesterday so it is repeated.  I noticed that there is another episode on the Bergen and Flam railways which many cruisers are interested in. 

AQ - I also watch Mighty Trains and have seen the Rocky M and Bergen and Flam.  Before Covid hit I was going to fly to Oslo and take the train to Bergen followed by a cruise.  Oh well.

On 9/13/2021 at 12:59 AM, Sue from Canada said:

Fun fact: My wife and I make an appearance on the Nieuw Statendam episode ! When you watch look for the 5 sec interview raving about how new the ship is and that it even has that 'new ship smell' - that's us !

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DMParisHoneymoon said:

Fun fact: My wife and I make an appearance on the Nieuw Statendam episode ! When you watch look for the 5 sec interview raving about how new the ship is and that it even has that 'new ship smell' - that's us !

That's cool!  I'll watch for your appearance.  Just curious, when was the show filmed?

16 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

That's cool!  I'll watch for your appearance.  Just curious, when was the show filmed?

April 2019 (well before pandemic times) - the ship was just 4 months old at the time...it was neat because on embarkation day there was this giant poster at the back of Lido deck stating that the Mighty Cruise Ships was filming, as a disclaimer of sorts. We were excited bc we recognized the show and spoke with the crew...and a day or two later we did the interview and signed a waiver agreeing they could use our footage. It was really fun to see they actually used it in the episode ! 

Also - the ending is not the way our actual cruise ended! Before one of the last commercials they do a bit of a cliffhanger that the weather conditions may not be ideal to tender to Half Moon Cay. When the episode resumes they go on and state the weather conditions improved and they made the decision to go ahead with HMC. Sadly, this was not the case and it was actually cancelled due to poor weather for tendering (we were so upset!). I think they were on the ship before or after our sailing and used that footage instead. Oh well, just interesting to see the 'magic' of television haha! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, DMParisHoneymoon said:

April 2019 (well before pandemic times) - the ship was just 4 months old at the time...it was neat because on embarkation day there was this giant poster at the back of Lido deck stating that the Mighty Cruise Ships was filming, as a disclaimer of sorts. We were excited bc we recognized the show and spoke with the crew...and a day or two later we did the interview and signed a waiver agreeing they could use our footage. It was really fun to see they actually used it in the episode ! 

Also - the ending is not the way our actual cruise ended! Before one of the last commercials they do a bit of a cliffhanger that the weather conditions may not be ideal to tender to Half Moon Cay. When the episode resumes they go on and state the weather conditions improved and they made the decision to go ahead with HMC. Sadly, this was not the case and it was actually cancelled due to poor weather for tendering (we were so upset!). I think they were on the ship before or after our sailing and used that footage instead. Oh well, just interesting to see the 'magic' of television haha! 

Thanks.  Interesting story about HMC and the magic of TV.  I was curious because I was on the NS in Feb/19 and Feb/20. 

• Like 1

So i watched the new Holland America ship in the series last night . It would of been nice to see a bit of the ship , rooms , dining room etc. What i saw was the captain parking the boat , the sprinkler system,

the crew waiting for a late passenger, and the third engine. I thought it was very boring.

Lucky for me i was watching the football game at the same time on the laptop. Not boring at all.

On 9/14/2021 at 9:45 PM, DMParisHoneymoon said:

Saw you!

On 9/14/2021 at 10:45 PM, DMParisHoneymoon said:

Finally watched the episode - I saw you, too!  

I wish the episode had more info on the ship's amenities but thinking back on previous episodes they don’t really do that, do they?  Oh well, I hope to be on her in Aug/22 so will experience those amenities in person for the third time.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 12:45 AM, DMParisHoneymoon said:

My son and I watched it last night. I had to re read the thread to remember where you are in the episode.

That show is getting us excited that at some point we will be back to cruising. We both had our laptops open to different ships, different cruises, daydreaming about staying in a suite, etc. (We will never stay in a suite unless I win the lottery).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The last couple of episodes Diamond Princess and Niew Statendam have been disappointing.  They concentrate too much on the captain and below deck.  Niew Statendam is a new ship and I would be more interested in seeing more of the public rooms, entertainment and activities.  The same with the Diamond Princess too much time spend on the bridge and engine room

3 hours ago, vjb said:

The last couple of episodes Diamond Princess and Niew Statendam have been disappointing.  They concentrate too much on the captain and below deck.  Niew Statendam is a new ship and I would be more interested in seeing more of the public rooms, entertainment and activities.  The same with the Diamond Princess too much time spend on the bridge and engine room

We all have different preferences, as personally I am most interested in the working areas of the ships, specifically the Bridge & MCR.

Although I have done many arrivals & departures on the Diamond Bridge, it is interesting to see the changes and how the Bridge Team comply with the Command & Control Policy.

FWIW, there was a very interesting series that ran a few years ago, I believe on ITV in the UK, called "The Cruise". It ran for a number of seasons and its various episodes went into FAR more detail about the ships, passengers and crew than Mighty Cruise Ships. Unfortunately for many, it was specific to Princess and only covered life on a variety of Princess ships sailing various parts of the world.  Many of the episodes are available on Youtube, simply google "Youtube The Cruise" and you will start to see many of the episodes, playlists etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2021 at 10:56 AM, cnd crsr said:

Thanks for giving us the schedule poffles. I forgot to tune in or record last night but will set up to record the rest.

We were on the Sky when they were filming ... will have to see if  we made the finished cut! LOL.

Pre-COVID, they had an episode on Symphony of the Seas, which we had sailed on in Sept 2018. We're not regular watchers of the show but it happened to be on when we were perusing through the guide and nothing else was on. We were reminiscing and recognizing different spots, even some familiar faces. Right at the end, I think the credits were rolling, they had a shot from the deck off the Solarium... maybe 2 seconds, but enough time to think, "hmm, (hubby) has those same swim shorts". Went back and watched again... sure enough it was my hubby and our friend standing at the railing looking forward!

• Like 4