"Exclusive Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club Top-tier Event"

Always wondered why it was called a 'top tier' event when Platinum and up could attend?? Platinum is more low tier end being the 2nd level of a possible six.

I guess it really is 'top tier' now although, as was pointed out earlier, with double points, Diamond is nothing anymore. 

Edited by icsys

2 hours ago, icsys said:

Always wondered why it was called a 'top tier' event when Platinum and up could attend?? Platinum is more low tier end being the 2nd level of a possible six.

I guess it really is 'top tier' now although, as was pointed out earlier, with double points, Diamond is nothing anymore. 

I always get a kick (and a roll of the eyes) when the officer jokingly asks  "Any first time cruisers here?"

Bucky always raises his hand....  (hence roll of eyes 🙄)...both are tired jokes.  😉 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, icsys said:

Pedanticly, if Gold is the bottom tier then all tiers above it are on top.

As of now, at least Diamond tier isn't required to row the boat, unlike those lower tier folks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, icsys said:

My feelings of the event is just to push the loyalty scheme.

A bit like amway ,the faster you climb the pyramid the sooner you become a pinnacle.

Half the time I don’t bother but sometimes with a few friends we go.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 7:28 AM, island lady said:

The smallest ships seem to have the best events.  Still fondly remember the Monarch and her wonderful event as we were pulling into Nassau.  Captain, officers present, waiters handing out great drinks (killer Bloody Marys!) and fantastic snack buffet....with decent sushi!  😉 

Or Mariner departing Roatan out on the Heli pad...lovely, champagne and officers, really well done:

Just now, BecciBoo said:

Or Mariner departing Roatan out on the Heli pad...lovely, champagne and officers, really well done:

Indeed have done the helipad events.  Usually very nice, except when for some reason, they decide to do it on formal night and the weather out there is 95 degrees with 99% humidity!!  😮 

On 9/3/2021 at 8:28 AM, island lady said:

The smallest ships seem to have the best events.  Still fondly remember the Monarch and her wonderful event as we were pulling into Nassau.  Captain, officers present, waiters handing out great drinks (killer Bloody Marys!) and fantastic snack buffet....with decent sushi!  😉 

Lots of martini's in little plastic cups.

Sometimes the left turn into Nassau would catch you by surprise

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 9:51 AM, Chiliburn said:

I think it used to be emerald up.

I can’t imagine this was the rule. As far as I know, Emerald has always been the status that gets you absolutely nothing you didn’t already have. Except a bottle of water at embarkation. And - if you can find it - the secret Emerald Lounge. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 11:51 AM, Biker19 said:

The COVID era version of the previous version which included everyone above Gold.

Biker, who wonders if the swill served at the event will get any better.

The drinks were average yesterday.

On 9/3/2021 at 9:51 AM, Chiliburn said:

The way it reads to me is it’s only for D+  and pins .

I think it used to be emerald up.

Yesterday the notice we got stated for D+ and Pinnacles only.

On 9/3/2021 at 2:28 PM, island lady said:

Disagree - it all depends on who is Hotel Director. Ship size does not matter.

There are cheap HD's and those who walk the extra mile to guarantee a memorable event.

To be more precise - HD's who rotate around their senior management year end bonus and are scrooge enough to follow the attitude " life would be much easier without passengers" and the really great HD's 

who throw all possible catering into the manege.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kbonner said:

HD's who rotate around their senior management year end bonus and are scrooge enough to follow the attitude " life would be much easier without passengers"

Those kind would be better suited to a land based job

4 hours ago, Kbonner said:

There are cheap HD's and those who walk the extra mile to guarantee a memorable event.

To be more precise - HD's who rotate around their senior management year end bonus and are scrooge enough to follow the attitude " life would be much easier without passengers" and the really great HD's 

John Denton was a good HD.  Wonder if he is still around?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kbonner said:

I personally, believe it's based on a budgets and what is allocated for events.  Attended the most recent Oasis event by the Aqua theatre and they served basically champagne and rum swizzles.  I had the rum drink and took one sip and tasted mostly sugar and just put it down.  I remember when inside and a bar was present, I could ask for a beer and got it.

The presentation was an excerpts from the Ship's Aqua Show and it was entertaining.  There were some 35+ Pinns and 2 were introduced/inducted, plus and oldie who had some 2,400 nights/points under her belt.

One of the inducted Pinns, was a MDR nearby tablemate.  I asked him how was the new Pinnacle Lounge, and he told me that he wasn't allowed yet and until his subsequent cruise.  Makes no sense, but what do I know.  This Pinn had 39 cruises booked and was doing some 8 back to back on Oasis and then getting on the Anthem when she begins sailing from Bayonne.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kbonner said:

Sorry.  That was simply my personal observation on ships I have sailed.  Have only been on  "just a few" to notice.  😉 

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

John Denton was a good HD.  Wonder if he is still around?

Indeed he was great!!  Loved his get together on Coco Cay as well.  🤗

I have a picture of him, along with us and 4 other couples sitting on my cruise cabinet.  Really nice dinner with him one night in the MDR we were invited to.  🙂 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Attended the "event" on the Ovation in Oct (final Alaskan Cruise). No blocks presented (and there were ones owed), new Pinnacles introduced (taking the number on ship from 22->27) and a huge amount of advertising for new ships and more cruises. Overall, not terribly impressed, but at least non-alcoholic beverages were on all the waitstaff's trays so that I didn't have to special order something to drink. 

Over the years, with one exception, I have enjoyed this particular event more on the smaller ships than the large ones. Maybe because the crowds were smaller?

-Holly

We went to one on Ovation last Month.  It was held in the morning.  They served mimosas - mostly orange juice- no food. I don't think the Captain came at all.  It was basically a sales event and then they presented new pinnical s their pins.  

• Haha 1

We enjoyed these events very much back when we could have a bit of quality conversation with one or more officers and the Captain would give candid updates about the line and the cruise industry in general. One particularly memorable one was about 15 years ago on Brilliance--we enjoyed a couple of good conversations with both the Hotel Director and Bar Manager (Director?).

The last "top tier" ballroom event also was some time ago and was not at all pleasant. I believe it was on Radiance about 10 years ago. The whole thing was awkward and felt thrown together. Canapés went around once, and they ran out before any server got to out seat.  We barely got a drink, and it was something of the aforementioned swill. The only speaker was the Loyalty Ambassador. I recall that some other officers were introduced, but I do not recall an opportunity to speak with any of them. It was held at an odd time, around 2 PM or so, rather than in the evening. There was a brief thanks and sales pitch, and then the band played. It felt more like a timeshare sales presentation with a watered- down vodka Martini on the rocks and warm sparkling wine. That last sentence also could serve as a brief definition of what could be my Hell. We now skip those. I'd just as soon spend time at the bar or swabbing the deck. 

We did enjoy a lunch with officers while on board Empress (RIP) a few years ago. It was a moderately sized event--three or four tables of eight diners, two of which were officers. That was quality time. I realize that cannot be done on ships much larger than Empress was, though.