Are there still Wonka Pies on certain ships?

jean87510

6 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

A nephew of mine loves them and we last cruised with him March 2017.  It was his birthday, so his dad asked our waiter if his son could get a Wonka Pie for dessert on his birthday.  The smile on his face lit up the dining room as our waiter brought out his birthday treat.  The waiters and chefs will do whatever they can to make you happy, such as on this special occasion.

DSC_0952.JPG

That's a great photo of the nephew, still don't know what the pie looks like.  It's beginning to feel like you guys made it up to see who was gullible enough to believe this existed.  🙂  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, flamingos said:

That's a great photo of the nephew, still don't know what the pie looks like.  It's beginning to feel like you guys made it up to see who was gullible enough to believe this existed.  🙂  

Did you miss this picture of it that I posted earlier?  Jean said this was the one she was looking talking about.

image.jpeg.3fb42e8ebe2335013d9d34e95f11ca2c.jpeg

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

My family had them on the Explorer in 2014 at the cafe Promenade.  As you can see by the link I shared, this is not something I am imagining.  My family were discussing them today during a web call and wondering if they still existed.

We will be on the Freedom on them13th. I’ll make a note to ask about it and report back.

5 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Other than the ever-disgusting muffuletta sandwich, I don't think I've ever seen ANY of the things mentioned here at Cafe Promenade!

(And @matj2000 will be pleased to see that it's listed as "included" instead of "free"!  LOL)

From the link:

CAFÉ PROMENADE

Included - Café
Deli
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

CAFÉ ALL DAY

When it comes to quick and easy come-and-go eats, there’s no better place than Café Promenade. This casual, complimentary hotspot bustles 24 hours a day, so you can drop by any time — whether it’s for a steaming cup of coffee and a warm glazed cinnamon bun in the morning, or late-night bites like fried artichoke, spicy marinated cheese, and savory meatballs from behind the counter after working up an appetite on the dance floor.

ATTIRE

Casual

MENU HIGHLIGHTS

If you’re looking for a satisfying way to start your day, pair a cup of rich Royal Roast with a flaky croissandwich — stuffed with deli meats and crisp lettuce — or your favorite breakfast pastry. At lunchtime, it’s all about the flavorful chicken roti wrap and the New Orleans-style muffuletta, piled high with cold cuts and cheese. If you love a good antipasti platter, try the prosciutto with melon combo, or the pesto-grilled tomato. And if you have a sweet tooth, the decadent Mudcakes, creamy Willy Wonka pies, and fluffy round Led Zeppoles will make you come back for seconds.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

creamy Willy Wonka pies, and fluffy round Led Zeppoles will make you come back for seconds.

I haven’t heard of the Led Zeppoles either.  Know I have a tune in my head…..

Close the door, put out the light
You know they won't be home tonight.

15 hours ago, flamingos said:

I remember seeing Wonka pies on cruises for a few years.  They were often available in Cafe Promenade, but also available in the Windjammer.  Never in the MDR.  I cannot help you with a photo of the Wonka pie, but they are not like the ever elusive rainbow unicorn, they do (or did) exist.  We found that a lot of times the chefs working for RCCL have been there for years and they are happy to pull out an old recipe card for you to make some of these items that are no longer on the menu (for example, the cold soups that we get served every night to us in the MDR even though they are not on the menu)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, matj2000 said:

On my many RC cruises I have never seen nor heard of Wonka pies.

From the photos it looks like those frozen ones from grocery store.

th.jpg

Wonka Pie tastes NOTHING like the pumpkin pie you pictured.

Don't knock something you have no knowledge of  :classic_rolleyes: 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I haven’t heard of the Led Zeppoles either.  Know I have a tune in my head…..

Close the door, put out the light
You know they won't be home tonight.

Only a few ships called them Led Zeppoles

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Wonka Pie tastes NOTHING like the pumpkin pie you pictured.

Don't knock something you have no knowledge of  :classic_rolleyes: 

I am real sure it is a culinary masterpiece with a orgazmic taste explosion in every bit.

I yearn for the knowledge...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I asked at the Cafe Promenade and she didn’t know what I was talking about. Our waiter in the MDR asked his supervisor and he said they don’t make them anymore.

How could they not have known what you were talking about unless they were fairly new employees .

Very sad to hear they don't make them anymore...I'll remember to add that disappointment to my next end of cruise survey.

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

How could they not have known what you were talking about unless they were fairly new employees .

Very sad to hear they don't make them anymore...I'll remember to add that disappointment to my next end of cruise survey.

She looked young so might not have been with RC very long. When I asked in the MDR I was hoping they would offer to make one for me since I have never tried them. They didn’t offer so I didn’t ask them to.

45 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

She looked young so might not have been with RC very long. When I asked in the MDR I was hoping they would offer to make one for me since I have never tried them. They didn’t offer so I didn’t ask them to.

Over the years so many of RCI's desert's have lost their taste...too many gelatin based and their more about the look rather than taste. Figures they would get rid of something that was rather plain looking but tasted so good. I have found very few really good tasting desert's now on RCI.....Celebrity WOW very impressed when I sailed last on Eclipse.

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I asked at the Cafe Promenade and she didn’t know what I was talking about. Our waiter in the MDR asked his supervisor and he said they don’t make them anymore.

appreciate you asking.  How was the Adventure and the dessert selections in the Promenade?