The Daily for Wednesday September 08, 2021

richwmn

Good morning.   I haven’t chatted a lot lately but I’ve been lurking.
 This is my 20th anniversary of first cruise old Noordam Copenhagen to Rome with 9/11 so returned to a whole new world.   38 cruises later all over the world I still love it and I’m so grateful.   

Thanks prayers and cheers everyone.  This is a great group.    Stay safe.  
Cindy

• Like 21

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists.

Interesting story, Roy, about selecting September 8 as the3 day to celebrate ampersands. I have had date nut bread & it was very good.

Literacy is so important. We need to constantly promote it. I spent time in the state of Kerala in India and discovered some fascinating things about literacy. At the time (year 2000) Kerala was the only state in India where ALL children received a basic education. In the other states, girl children were not necessarily educated. This difference had interesting ramifications. The state of Kerala had the highest literacy rate,  lowest birth rate, the lowest infant mortality rate and the longest life span of any state in India. Coincidence?

I love the meal suggestion.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Yay for literacy - we instilled a love of reading in our son very early in his life, something he's now passed on to his little boys.  Who knew that the lowly ampersand could have it's own day?  I know I'd like the Date & Nut Bread, but DH certainly wouldn't - he does not like the texture of dates.  Now I'd love to get @Seasick Sailor's recipe for strawberry bread . . . care to share?

A busy day in the offing for us today - laundry (ugh), then I'm meeting a friend for lunch (I'll pick up deli sandwiches & drinks and we'll meet at a park with picnic tables).  Due to Covid, and the fact that she works in a school, we haven't been able to get together since last fall.  Although it will be a quick get together, as she's on her lunch break, it will be great to see each other again.  A stop at the pharmacy to pick up DH's meds, then back home where DH and a couple of the guys in his band will be having a practice on the patio.  Pretty sure I'll be the drink runner.

The days are getting shorter here on the "frozen tundra" - our sunrise didn't happen until 6:39 this morning, and the evenings are getting dark by 8PM.  You can tell fall is coming, not only by the colours on the leaves, but by the way the temperature suddenly drops when it gets dark.

I like today's menu suggestion - I particularly love ordering schnitzel when it appears on HAL's menu . . . definitely a fave.  I thought today's recipe would include Jagermeister, but was pleasantly surprised to see it didn't.  I'm definitely going to tuck that one away for another day, as tonight will be leftover pulled pork from the other day, accompanied by a crunchy coleslaw.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  @dfish, I hope your test results come back negative!  Raising the glasses together to cheer on all on the happy list.  Be well, wash your hands, stay safe, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24

44 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from central Texas.  The weather forecast is for mid to upper 90sF through the weekend.  Then, we are being teased with our highs dropping to the low 90s and upper 80s. but I'll believe it when I see it.

Literacy is very important and should be celebrated everyday.  The & gets its own day, YEAH!  Someone can have my date nut bread.

We should all strive to live by the quote.  

The meal looks good and I'll have to check it out.  However, I'll pass on the drink and the wine.

@JAM37  Julia, great that your DH continues to improve.

@VMax1700  Congratulations on the new car.

@dfish  Hope you get the negative result you want.  As careful as you have been, I'm sure you will.

We have been to Sete three times on BHBs.  In 2002, on the Noordam III, we took the transfer to Montpelier, so did not see much of Sete.  However, in 2016 on the Prinsendam and 2019 on the Veendam, we stayed in town.  It is a walkable town, but we also took the Ho-Ho the last time.  Stete is not only known for fishing, but it is a town with canals.

The lighthouse and the town from the port

DSC07000.thumb.JPG.d9c4c0dd27397aa1f6200d5f2c6c8025.JPG

DSC06996.thumb.JPG.81d0e47bf79a296d7912ca57c02e02d7.JPG

DSC07309.thumb.JPG.346e825488020b23a8455b440cc789be.JPG

Some of the canals

DSC07003.thumb.JPG.8c8c12cf19c38931f0d8a982e72053cd.JPG

DSC07006.thumb.JPG.7a21d50d16ad73a2550c107df7823834.JPG

DSC07010.thumb.JPG.716cd8a9554825558ef144fe023c1515.JPG

DSC07321.thumb.JPG.f76f1c143d038b0ccfdefa515a1ed874.JPGDSC07337.thumb.JPG.636d8f84dcb0c915a9038c77ecb2c6ab.JPG

Various streets and markets

DSC07320.thumb.JPG.b64a103e325fb3ec61e5c340d4f7355d.JPG

DSC07325.thumb.JPG.886db00d70ca66243d870c9ca4d1ddf4.JPG

DSC07019.thumb.JPG.b9712049e6c1a2cbd96793ebf6495683.JPG

DSC07018.thumb.JPG.129bbee9692e31454c33d83679b74368.JPG

DSC07017.thumb.JPG.7b5611676e8a227dac3ce3b7136740c6.JPG

DSC07327.thumb.JPG.36fc850f2690be3576e9e63e23c89f3d.JPG

DSC07332.thumb.JPG.16d02312897e8d96c876d1f863821782.JPG

The indoor market which is huge and has cheese, bakery, meat stalls too.

DSC07334.thumb.JPG.c04622d6abc6bd3e5ee02ff528324e27.JPG

DSC07335.thumb.JPG.8d4f80d7fe4b28e45efc2dd0eaf7dd4f.JPG

DSC07336.thumb.JPG.755b91a55f84ef21574d930972bbc80a.JPG

Lenda

DSC07016.JPG

Lenda, great photos of your times spent in Sete!  Don't you miss having the Prinsendam take us to these smaller ports of call?  And don't we all wish we could stroll down scenic streets like this, just like in pre-Covid days?  sigh....

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, tamsno said:

Good morning.   I haven’t chatted a lot lately but I’ve been lurking.
 This is my 20th anniversary of first cruise old Noordam Copenhagen to Rome with 9/11 so returned to a whole new world.   38 cruises later all over the world I still love it and I’m so grateful.   

Thanks prayers and cheers everyone.  This is a great group.    Stay safe.  
Cindy

Thanks for stopping by Cindy.  That must have been a crazy week to return from a cruise.  How long did it take you to get back home from Rome?

September 11, 2001 the day the U.S. and the whole world changed.  Never forget.

• Like 10

Just a quick visit between appointments to share the wine info. I will check back in later.

Santa Carolina Cellar Selection Chardonnay

This is an elusive wine that is available online for fairly reasonable prices starting at $14.99.

This Chardonnay from Chile is redolent of ripe tropical fruit such as melon and mango, complemented by fine citrus notes. On the palate, the wine shows a creamy structure, a stimulating, well-balanced acidity as well as a pleasant, prolonged finish.
Santa Carolina Cellar Selection Chardonnay (Wine)

(GRAPE BLENDED)
100% CHARDONNAY
(PALATE)
ON THE PALATE, THE WINE SHOWS A CREAMY STRUCTURE, A STIMULATING, WELL-BALANCED ACIDITY AS WELL AS A PLEASANT, PROLONGED FINISH.
 (COLOUR)
A BRIGHT GOLDEN
 (AROMA)
RIPE TROPICAL FRUIT SUCH AS MELON AND MANGO, COMPLEMENTED BY FINE CITRUS NOTES.
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. I don't know what was wrong this AM but it kept asking me to sign in and then wouldn't allow me to. That was on my ipad so I've switched to my desk top.

I will certainly celebrate literacy day because it's so important for everyone to be literate, and I love today's quote.

While we didn't attend Rosh Hashanah services in person, we did go on line to my son's synagogue in Philly and watch with him. It is a very old and beautiful synagogue and where my grandson had his Bar Mitzvah.

Things are quiet here today. Prayers for all those who need them.

Carol

• Like 21

1 hour ago, RGEDad said:

I truly hope you will come to love your new electric Citroën as much as we love our 3 year old Tesla X. We were looking for a new car as it was killing my wife's back to put the grandkids in our car back seats. She saw the doors on the Tesla MX and stated - quite emphatically - "I want those Doors" - I tried to explain this Tesla car was entirely different than any other car and was all electric - and very different - she did not care - she wanted those doors. Now we love having an electric car (and the doors) - It is the only car we drive now. We have driven our (still very nice) older second car 82 miles last year. Keep it around as it is fully paid for and does not cost much to keep, and good to have back-up - you know - just in case. Just pulling up and reaching over to plugin the tesla at night is so much easier than going to the gas station - and the car is sitting there in the morning all charged and ready to go..and very quiet.

Welcome to the Daily 🙂 

@JAM37I’m glad to hear your DH is continuing to improve but oh no, on your back.  Take care of yourself, please as well as DH.

@dfishgood luck with the covid test.  Best wishes for a negative one 🤞 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Strawberry Bread

Ingredients:
2 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 2/3 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries (fresh or lightly drained frozen)
1/2 cup chopped nuts of your choice (optional)

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In a large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy.
  • Add the oil, sugar, vanilla and almond extract to the eggs and mix well.
  • In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  • Add to the oil mixture and stir until just barely moistened.
  • Add the strawberries and nuts and lightly mix, being careful not to overmix.
  • Pour into a prepared pan and bake until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 minutes to an hour.
Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 9

Rich:

Thank you for the DAILY Fleet report.  I have always enjoyed my trips to Sitka.  When I was a boy, my mother used to make Date and Nut Bread.  I loved it!  Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

;

• Like 7

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  A great selection of days.  Yesterday was a crazy day and I hope I got the lists right, my apologies if I've added or missed something in error.  I love the Buddha quote.  Have not been to Sete.  Will pass on the schnitzel.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC and Lake Tahoe) wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
JAM37 DH fighting Covid but contuing to show improvement
Allen (Seasick Sailor DH) awaiting biopsoy results
dfish friend Donna needing new hip instead of cruising
StLouisCruiser awaiting Friday larngoscopy
From the rotation:
Cruisin single awaiting mamogram clarification
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome back Vmax1700
Rosh Hashanah conclusion
2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
4 days for dfish
KirkNC completing move to Hatteras
Less smoke for lindaler
Notseh2o visit with mom
Getaway for segarsmoker
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy, thanks for both lists.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Strawberry Bread

Ingredients:
2 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 2/3 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries (fresh or lightly drained frozen)
1/2 cup chopped nuts of your choice (optional)

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In a large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy.
  • Add the oil, sugar, vanilla and almond extract to the eggs and mix well.
  • In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  • Add to the oil mixture and stir until just barely moistened.
  • Add the strawberries and nuts and lightly mix, being careful not to overmix.
  • Pour into a prepared pan and bake until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 minutes to an hour.

It sounds good!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  A great selection of days.  Yesterday was a crazy day and I hope I got the lists right, my apologies if I've added or missed something in error.  I love the Buddha quote.  Have not been to Sete.  Will pass on the schnitzel.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC and Lake Tahoe) wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
JAM37 DH fighting Covid but contuing to show improvement
Allen (Seasick Sailor DH) awaiting biopsoy results
dfish friend Donna needing new hip instead of cruising
StLouisCruiser awaiting Friday larngoscopy
From the rotation:
Cruisin single awaiting mamogram clarification
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome back Vmax1700
Rosh Hashanah conclusion
2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
4 days for dfish
KirkNC completing move to Hatteras
Less smoke for lindaler
Notseh2o visit with mom
Getaway for segarsmoker
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the lists.   

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from central Texas.  The weather forecast is for mid to upper 90sF through the weekend.  Then, we are being teased with our highs dropping to the low 90s and upper 80s. but I'll believe it when I see it.

Literacy is very important and should be celebrated everyday.  The & gets its own day, YEAH!  Someone can have my date nut bread.

We should all strive to live by the quote.  

The meal looks good and I'll have to check it out.  However, I'll pass on the drink and the wine.

@JAM37  Julia, great that your DH continues to improve.

@VMax1700  Congratulations on the new car.

@dfish  Hope you get the negative result you want.  As careful as you have been, I'm sure you will.

We have been to Sete three times on BHBs.  In 2002, on the Noordam III, we took the transfer to Montpelier, so did not see much of Sete.  However, in 2016 on the Prinsendam and 2019 on the Veendam, we stayed in town.  It is a walkable town, but we also took the Ho-Ho the last time.  Stete is not only known for fishing, but it is a town with canals.

The lighthouse and the town from the port

DSC07000.thumb.JPG.d9c4c0dd27397aa1f6200d5f2c6c8025.JPG

DSC06996.thumb.JPG.81d0e47bf79a296d7912ca57c02e02d7.JPG

DSC07309.thumb.JPG.346e825488020b23a8455b440cc789be.JPG

Some of the canals

DSC07003.thumb.JPG.8c8c12cf19c38931f0d8a982e72053cd.JPG

DSC07006.thumb.JPG.7a21d50d16ad73a2550c107df7823834.JPG

DSC07010.thumb.JPG.716cd8a9554825558ef144fe023c1515.JPG

DSC07321.thumb.JPG.f76f1c143d038b0ccfdefa515a1ed874.JPGDSC07337.thumb.JPG.636d8f84dcb0c915a9038c77ecb2c6ab.JPG

Various streets and markets

DSC07320.thumb.JPG.b64a103e325fb3ec61e5c340d4f7355d.JPG

DSC07325.thumb.JPG.886db00d70ca66243d870c9ca4d1ddf4.JPG

DSC07019.thumb.JPG.b9712049e6c1a2cbd96793ebf6495683.JPG

DSC07018.thumb.JPG.129bbee9692e31454c33d83679b74368.JPG

DSC07017.thumb.JPG.7b5611676e8a227dac3ce3b7136740c6.JPG

DSC07327.thumb.JPG.36fc850f2690be3576e9e63e23c89f3d.JPG

DSC07332.thumb.JPG.16d02312897e8d96c876d1f863821782.JPG

The indoor market which is huge and has cheese, bakery, meat stalls too.

DSC07334.thumb.JPG.c04622d6abc6bd3e5ee02ff528324e27.JPG

DSC07335.thumb.JPG.8d4f80d7fe4b28e45efc2dd0eaf7dd4f.JPG

DSC07336.thumb.JPG.755b91a55f84ef21574d930972bbc80a.JPG

Lenda

DSC07016.JPG

Great selection of photos.

They capture the town perfectly.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

👍Thank you for The Daily Rich  @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists. 

🤓We left a very smokey Bend, OR and headed north to the Capitol of Washington ( Olympia) and will play tourists here.😊

Beautiful photos of today's port of call....would love to go anywhere in France!😉

🙏Prayers to all in need.🙏

Katie

international-literacy-day-image-s1.jpg

• Like 19

Good morning all!

We have thunderstorms predicted today, but other than some *very* early rain showers, I see no sign of a storm.

Great collection of days. Will pass on the date nut bread. I like banana bread, but don't like nuts in my breads, cookies or cakes (I know, I'm strange) 😄 Will pass on the meal, but the wine sounds good.  I've had some good white wines from Chile.

Have been to the French Riviera, but not Sete. Thank you for all photos, it looks lovely!

Yesterday we made a dent in our "to do" list before we leave for Greece in less than 2 weeks.  Those lists get more and more important the older and more forgetful we become! 

Can't wait to join the Eurodam!! 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! Well, I  want  to  go  to Sete! @Quartzsite Cruiser, love  your  pictures  always  but  these  were  especially  nice.

I  just  got  back  from  the  early  morning  PT  run  and  am  having  my  second  cup  of  coffee.

@dfisch, good  luck  on  your  test  and  thanks  so  much  for  the  recipe. I  decided  to  try  it  tonight  as  I  have  I  have  leftover   quiche  for   the  vegetarians  and  I  know  the  rest  of  us  would  enjoy  mushrooms,onions,bacon  and  of  course  pork  cutlets. I  was  practically  tasting  it  as  I  read  through  it. We  had  a  wonderful  German  Restaurant  in  White  Plains,NY called  Maxl's  that  made  it  this  way and  I  remember  going  there  with  my  parents. A  nice  memory.

I  must  run  out  again  for  another  appointment  but  wanted  to  say  hello before  it  was  past  morning.

Thanks  for  the  Daily  and  all  of  the  nice  people  connected  to  it.

Terry

• Like 19

Good morning, all.  Lovely day here in southeastern PA.  Prayer request please for BIL who fell getting into daughter’s car yesterday.  Fractured femur, wrist and hip — 80 years old.  On morphine now but we will know more later today.  Thank you.  Katherine 

Edited by Lady Hudson
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 10

2 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Good morning, all.  Lovely day here in southeastern PA.  Prayer request please for BIL who fell getting into daughter’s car yesterday.  Fractured femur, wrist and hip — 80 years old.  On morphine now but we will know more later today.  Thank you.  Katherine 

🙏🙏🙏

• Like 12