Covid Proof of Recovery

debnrick

We had Covid and no longer have any symptoms and are fully recovered. I’ve heard that we could test positive for months .. even though we are ‘technically’ negative. Would Carnival accept some sort of ‘proof of recovery’ from our doctor so we could sail????? Don’t want to have to cancel yet another cruise. And by the way.. yes, we were vaccinated! 

5 minutes ago, debnrick said:

We had Covid and no longer have any symptoms and are fully recovered. I’ve heard that we could test positive for months .. even though we are ‘technically’ negative. Would Carnival accept some sort of ‘proof of recovery’ from our doctor so we could sail????? Don’t want to have to cancel yet another cruise. And by the way.. yes, we were vaccinated! 

I don't know that there's any provision for recovery after infection.  I didn't see any in their official policies.... and yes you can test positive for months, depending on the type of test and (if pcr) the number of cycles it's put through.

It is completely unfair that nobody is giving credit for past infection, when that has been demonstrated to be the best protection against the virus.

Edited by Buckeyefrank100
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, debnrick said:

So….getting the rapid antigen test vs pcr test would be a better option potentially? What about the rapid at-home test?

The at-home tests need to be proctored and others have posted they are available 24/7 and they were getting response (from India?) within 20 minutes to start the test.

5 minutes ago, debnrick said:

So….getting the rapid antigen test vs pcr test would be a better option potentially? What about the rapid at-home test?

The at-home would be antigen. You're most likely going to test negative. Go buy the 2 pack they sell at pharmacies/walmart/Sams for $20-25. That won't qualify for Carnival, but it will tell you what to expect when you pay for the proctored version of the same test.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, debnrick said:

All you need is your vaccination cards. You willbe required to test again. if you test positive you will not be allowed on the ship.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, debnrick said:

You have no way of proof for the cruise line. Carnival said they are in the process of trying to set up on site testing at the port. Day before the cruise and the day of the cruise. There is a company that I finally found, they are all over the US. covidclinic.org We are sailing on the Mardi Gras Oct 30 so I scheduled for the 28th for the Rapid test. Results within an hour. Cost is $129.00 but I have Humana and will be reimbursed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

It is completely unfair that nobody is giving credit for past infection, when that has been demonstrated to be the best protection against the virus.

Not only has that ship sailed, it has been sunk by data.

Get the vaccine.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

On the other hand it has been shown not to be.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Get the vaccine.

Combination of both is strongest.

At the end of the day, I'd be cool with antibody tests a week before a cruise being treated equally to vaccination. I don't make the rules though, and I don't feel sorry for somebody not getting on the cruise simply because they don't want the vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with @Jamesatgsu. Way before you should start considering whether to cancel or not, get tested first and just see. If you are negative now you should be negative still before your cruise with the same test type. Maybe get one of the emed packs, do 2 now and save 2 for right before the cruise. 

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Get the vaccine.

Not necessarily.  I know many vaccinated people want to believe they have superior immunities, but the jury is still out. So, the ship has not sailed no matter how many times people say it.
As to the OP, I would definitely buy the self tests just to see and then do the rapid test before the cruise. Regarding the delta:

"The analysis indicated that people who had never had the infection and received a vaccine in January or February of 2021 were up to 13 times more likely to contract the virus than people who had already had the infection."

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/delta-variant-what-kind-of-immunity-offers-the-highest-protection#Natural-immunity-and-one-vaccination-may-offer-best-protection

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

Nobody knows what antibody tests prove other than antibodies. Moderna vaccine recipients have more than Pfizer, but so what? They don't know.

There are studies showing vaccines are superior to natural immunity, but not enough studies have been done, and won't be for a while, because it isn't the priority.

Get the shot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

Not necessarily.  I know many vaccinated people want to believe they have superior immunities, but the jury is still out. So, the ship has not sailed no matter how many times people say it.
As to the OP, I would definitely buy the self tests just to see and then do the rapid test before the cruise. Regarding the delta:

"The analysis indicated that people who had never had the infection and received a vaccine in January or February of 2021 were up to 13 times more likely to contract the virus than people who had already had the infection."

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/delta-variant-what-kind-of-immunity-offers-the-highest-protection#Natural-immunity-and-one-vaccination-may-offer-best-protection

your quoted study was only looking at people who had one of the two Pfizer doses. Pfizer only claims 1 dose is around 50% effective. 

No, it was comparing

1. people who were fully vaccinated more than 6 months ago
  2. people who had covid more than 6 months ago
  3. people who had BOTH contracted covid more than 6 months ago AND received at least 1 dose of vaccine more than 7 days ago.  

#3 seemed to have significantly stronger resistances.  It does seem wrong though that they included more recently vaccinated people in group 3, I wonder how they accounted for that?

Edited by NeighborGeek
Correction

CDC has yet to include recovered COVIDs as being immune or in their "herd" immunity count.  

As far as I can discover from other sources, you do have some immunity once you've contracted and recovered.  How much, can you get it again, is it still transferable to others?  I haven't a clue and the CDC apparently just quotes Clark Gable in their attitude.

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

On the other hand it has been shown not to be.

False.  Antibodies due to natural immunity may go away over time but T-cells have long-term memory and are activated when infected naturally.  Mrna vaccines are not thought to activate Tcells, which means when the antibodies go away, the effectiveness goes away.  I'm pretty sure that eventually it will come out that the J&J vaccine (based on more traditional vaccine base) will be much more effective over the long term.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

CDC has yet to include recovered COVIDs as being immune or in their "herd" immunity count.  

As far as I can discover from other sources, you do have some immunity once you've contracted and recovered.  How much, can you get it again, is it still transferable to others?  I haven't a clue and the CDC apparently just quotes Clark Gable in their attitude.

The people in hospitals are overwhelmingly those who have not contracted covid before.... Look at Israel's data who has the world's leading vaccination rate.  The last I saw 50% of the people in the hospital there were vaccinated with Pfizer.  Natural immunity is always best.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

False.  Antibodies due to natural immunity may go away over time but T-cells have long-term memory and are activated when infected naturally.  Mrna vaccines are not thought to activate Tcells, which means when the antibodies go away, the effectiveness goes away.  I'm pretty sure that eventually it will come out that the J&J vaccine (based on more traditional vaccine base) will be much more effective over the long term.

That is incorrect. mRNA vaccines do promote a cellular response as well as a humoral one.