Way too much time on Cruisecritic!

dianajo67

Since the restart of cruising, I’ve become a compulsive checker of Cruisecritic and Mycruises.  I’ve stopped cleaning my house, online shopping (except cruise stuff), working out and I barely even cook dinner. I do walk my dog a couple times a day because I can’t take the sad looks she gives me when I say “not now”.  I also occasionally let my husband “get lucky” so he doesn’t give me the same looks my dog does.  I think I’m going crazy!

Instead…I’m on here looking for intel on my upcoming cruises and updates on protocols etc. The new pier timed check in process has me stressed out.  Im 74 days from my next cruise (Explorer out of San Juan) and no online check in yet.  So worried about getting a late time that I’m logging in a dozen times a day.  I have 11 cruises booked and it’s consuming me and all my time!  Anyone else finding the emotional covid seesaw impacting their days?

I can’t be the only one!!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 19

8 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

Since the restart of cruising, I’ve become a compulsive checker of Cruisecritic and Mycruises.  I’ve stopped cleaning my house, online shopping (except cruise stuff), working out and I barely even cook dinner. I do walk my dog a couple times a day because I can’t take the sad looks she gives me when I say “not now”.  I also occasionally let my husband “get lucky” so he doesn’t give me the same looks my dog does.  I think I’m going crazy!

Instead…I’m on here looking for intel on my upcoming cruises and updates on protocols etc. The new pier timed check in process has me stressed out.  Im 74 days from my next cruise (Explorer out of San Juan) and no online check in yet.  So worried about getting a late time that I’m logging in a dozen times a day.  I have 11 cruises booked and it’s consuming me and all my time!  Anyone else finding the emotional covid seesaw impacting their days?

Nope - I reluctantly only have one cruise booked for January that is a L&S from last November, booked in the fall of 2019.

No way am I so wrapped up in cruising that I let it control my life and I'm not booking another cruise until things get back to normal - or at least close to it.  I realize that may be 6 months, a year, or even never and I'm perfectly fine with that.

As much as I love cruising, my life can  go on without it. 

Edited by mek
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, mek said:

Nope - I reluctantly only have one cruise booked for January that is a L&S from last November, booked in the fall of 2019.

No way am I so wrapped up in cruising that I let it control my life and I'm not booking another cruise until things get back to normal - or at least close to it.  I realize that may be 6 months, a year, or even never and I'm perfectly fine with that.

As much as I love cruising, my life can  go on without it. 

I’m actually blaming the double points promotion!  If it weren’t for that I’d not be in a rush.  Diamond on next cruise and diamond plus next summer if all works out.  Then I plan to break from cruising (for the most part) and focus on Europe land-based trips for a couple years.  We are going to Sedona/Grand Canyon in a couple weeks…..will likely throttle back the compulsive cruise checking during that trip…out of necessity if nothing else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yorkvillain said:

Go on.

Ha ha!  My husband is actually the luckiest man alive!  Every night, he lays diagonally on the bed…..and I rub his head like no one else ever has!  Lol!  No gutter talk here!  I actually use my left hand to massage his eye sockets and forehead while I use my right hand on my iPad to check the status of my cruises…..he really is spoiled!   He used to ask for it….now he just jumps into position and hopes it happens!  Probably why he lets me book so many cruises….

Edited by dianajo67
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

We were aboard the final voyage back in 3/2020 on the NCL Getaway.

Since that time we have gone to Playa Del Carmen, Costa Rica, Snowboarding in Colorado, visited Northern Wisconsin, and both N & S Carolina 3x to look at our property.

While we like cruising because it is an easy family trip and requires minimal thinking.

Now I would rather plan out better trips on my own since our kids are a little older and can stay home without supervision.

We have one voyage in March that has been kicked down the road X2.

With all the stupid restrictions the ships required to do, I am not really excited about the trip.

After reading the OP posts,  All I can say is: it is not that fun.   At least for me.

Edited by matj2000
  • Like 1

Dianajo, I posted a few months ago that I was reading the ingredients of cereal boxes, so thanked cruise critic posters and YouTube vloggers for giving so much content to read and see/hear.  But that thread fizzled out after a couple of pages.

NOW, if you start a “gettin’ lucky” thread, it may surpass the “too add some humor” thread, currently on page 831.

Eddie

Edited by Eddie Wilson
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dianajo67 said:

I’m actually blaming the double points promotion!  If it weren’t for that I’d not be in a rush.  Diamond on next cruise and diamond plus next summer if all works out.  Then I plan to break from cruising (for the most part) and focus on Europe land-based trips for a couple years.  We are going to Sedona/Grand Canyon in a couple weeks…..will likely throttle back the compulsive cruise checking during that trip…out of necessity if nothing else.

OMG! I live on CC too. LOL!!

I'm trying to do the same thing and reach Diamond Plus before the promotion ends. As soon as cruises started back sailing in Galveston I started booking cruises. I have 3 booked and one of them is a solo for quad points on a 9 night cruise. Yep 36 points. But I'm so tempted to upgrade to a suite and get 72 points. I think my math is right. One of you point gurus let me know if my calculation is right. Solo passenger, in a suite, for 9 nights, double point promotion. Thx in advance.

16 points to reach diamond and then 95 to reach Diamond plus. I'm on a mission. I'm trying like heck to figure out the cheapest way I can make Diamond plus.  We have 3 weeks remaining to book cruises that will include double points. 

We went to Sedona/GC in February 2020. We loved it and it's on our list to return. We visited St. Thomas in May 2020. We're waiting on things to open back up and hopefully get a better handle on delta so we can travel to Italy. 

Edited by cynt
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, cynt said:

OMG! I live on CC too. LOL!!

I'm trying to do the same thing and reach Diamond Plus before the promotion ends. As soon as cruises started back sailing in Galveston I started booking cruises. I have 3 booked and one of them is a solo for quad points on a 9 night cruise. Yep 36 points. But I'm so tempted to upgrade to a suite and get 72 points. I think my math is right. One of you point gurus let me know if my calculation is right. Solo passenger, in a suite, for 9 nights, double point promotion. Thx in advance.

16 points to reach diamond and then 95 to reach Diamond plus. I'm on a mission. I'm trying like heck to figure out the cheapest way I can make Diamond plus.  We have 3 weeks remaining to book cruises that will include double points. 

We went to Sedona/GC in February 2020. We loved it and it's on our list to return. We visited St. Thomas in May 2020. We're waiting on things to open back up and hopefully get a better handle on delta so we can travel to Italy. 

I’ve actually got 2 Italy trips booked.  2 weeks in Tuscany May 2022 with an old girlfriend from my Air Force days and a 10 days land plus 9 days on odyssey with hubby in sept 2022.  Both trips rebooked 3x so far.  My excel spreadsheets are massive trying to keep track of everything…fccs, refunds, hotel and air vouchers.  Getting burned out!  Ready for some fun soon!  Arizona will be a nice break.  Free hotel nights were expiring and we needed to do something.  We ( ie. my hubby) play the points game pretty hard.

Glad I’m not alone strategizing for points to diamond plus!  Btw…I think it’s only 6 points per night solo in a suite.  

1 minute ago, dianajo67 said:

Glad I’m not alone strategizing for points to diamond plus!  Btw…I think it’s only 6 points per night solo in a suite.  

You might be right at 6 points = 54 points. That's awesome too. I just doubled the 36. LOL😂😂

11 hours ago, dianajo67 said:

omg u just described me to a T minus the dog. I’m obsessed. 🤪😜🤪😜

• Like 1

I am glad I am not the only one!!! I am on CC every morning now while I have my coffee. as my cruise gets closer, I am on even more! I also can "quit anytime I want" but I do this every time I have a cruise booked. we have only been able to book one cruise per year due to work schedules but now that I have retired, I hope to take more cruises. that would mean more CC! 

it is ok. I love you guys! I get so much information and entertainment with my morning coffee that I don't want to stop!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

@SRF and/or @brillohead may explain to you why you made that mistake.

Since @Biker19 felt the need to tag me (???), I'd be happy to explain the point system.

Points you would normally get:
Person on a cruise: 1 point per night.
Person in a suite (JS and above): 1 extra point per night.
Person solo in a room that will hold two or more people (NOT a studio room): 1 extra point per night.
~~therefore~~
Person (1) in a suite (1) going solo (1): 1+1+1=3 points per night.

Current double-points promotion will double the points you would normally get: 3 points per night doubled = 6 points per night.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2021 at 5:07 PM, dianajo67 said:

Yes, I agree.  I am addicted to Cruising so it goes without saying that Cruise Critic and Youtube Cruise Vloggers are taking up a lot of my time.  During our Lockdowns though I couldn't even bring myself to look at anything to do with Cruising such was my sadness.  Once the Cruising started up again we booked at went on the 2nd Sailing on the Virtuosa.  The addiction is back.☺️

• Like 1