How do you think RC will handle children Covid vaccinations when they become available?

exm

I don't mean to make this into a big Covid or vaccination discussion (yes, I read the red banner). However, my wife and I are struggling with future cruise planning. Both of us are fully vaccinated, and we have 3 children under 12. We did the Adventure cruise last month out of Nassau, and everyone had a blast. The testing was not a big deal. We are planning 2 cruises (one for summer 2022, one for winter 2023), but we decided that we will hold off on vaccinating our children - initially. This is a difficult topic, and I'm sure every parent can relate to a certain degree. Down the line we'll probably vaccinate them but for now the risk/reward simply isn't there. And speaking to multiple parents, we're not alone.

So here's my question: do you think Royal will mandate children to be vaccinated when the vaccines are approved? I'm sure this question will give Michael Bayley a few more grey hairs.

• Like 1

As soon as vaccines are approved for kids, mine will get it.  I expect cruise lines will have their hands forced by the ports as they are now.  We have a Nov 7. cruise.  My concern is if 5+ vaccines are approved in October that we'll have to cancel because there will be no way to get both shots and have 14 days after the 2nd.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

The cruise lines seem to be following the CDC recommendations. When shots were approved for 12+, that’s what the lines adapted. If vaccines are approved for 5+, I expect the lines to follow. Best of luck...

I agree.  Once the vaccine is approved for younger kids, I think all of the cruise lines will mandate it.  The risk/reward analysis does seem to favor requiring vaccines for all who are eligible, as it should result on less COVID on ships. 

• Like 3

Just now, sabres431 said:

My concern is if 5+ vaccines are approved in October that we'll have to cancel because there will be no way to get both shots and have 14 days after the 2nd.

RCI will likely provide lots of transition time before implementation - probably at least two months.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sabres431 said:

As soon as vaccines are approved for kids, mine will get it.  I expect cruise lines will have their hands forced by the ports as they are now.  We have a Nov 7. cruise.  My concern is if 5+ vaccines are approved in October that we'll have to cancel because there will be no way to get both shots and have 14 days after the 2nd.

That's a tough spot.  I have read where some cruise lines are cancelling cruises for families with 11 year old children who turn 12 on the cruise.  

8 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

The cruise lines seem to be following the CDC recommendations. When shots were approved for 12+, that’s what the lines adapted. If vaccines are approved for 5+, I expect the lines to follow. Best of luck...

+1

I think they will have a small gap to allow time for younger children to be vaccinated.  Maybe 60 or 90 days at most.

• Like 1

Just now, lazydayz said:

That's a tough spot.  I have read where some cruise lines are cancelling cruises for families with 11 year old children who turn 12 on the cruise.  

Unfortunately they have to if the ship is visiting any of the islands that require 12 and older be fully vaccinated.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sabres431 said:

If I recall there wasn't much transition when 12+ vaccines were approved.

It was over two months, so that if one paid attention and took notice of the requirement, you had plenty of time to get it done.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sabres431 said:

same. We will hopefully cruise in November, and while I can't wait for kid shots to be available, I am afraid that if they are approved any time before November, we will simply not have sufficient time to get both done 14 days before the cruise.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, lazydayz said:

I'm hoping we don't get cancelled off our Harmony late April 2022. We'll be traveling with extended family that will include our two grandsons...One that will be vaccinated if the under 12 gets approved but one isn't going to be 5 until the day our cruise ends. We've been trying to do this cruise since 2020 after being covid cancelled by RCI then L/S from 2021.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ashland said:

I'm hoping we don't get cancelled off our Harmony late April 2022. We'll be traveling with extended family that will include our two grandsons...One that will be vaccinated if the under 12 gets approved but one isn't going to be 5 until the day our cruise ends. We've been trying to do this cruise since 2020 after being covid cancelled by RCI then L/S from 2021.

Cruising in this pandemic is a never ending series of changes to procedures and protocols.  With a little luck, maybe it will be under control by your cruise next April.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Without a doubt they'll follow CDC recommendations. They have so far even when the vax was EUA. Plus I'm in the camp that the Bahamas law "expires" around the time most are expecting it to be approved for younger kids so they can just put in a new law adding the younger ages. 

It was never a question for states outside of Florida, so it won't be with a change. And unless the NCL suit changes course before then it'll still be for Florida too. 

On 9/9/2021 at 9:31 AM, exm said:

I don't mean to make this into a big Covid or vaccination discussion (yes, I read the red banner). However, my wife and I are struggling with future cruise planning. Both of us are fully vaccinated, and we have 3 children under 12. We did the Adventure cruise last month out of Nassau, and everyone had a blast. The testing was not a big deal. We are planning 2 cruises (one for summer 2022, one for winter 2023), but we decided that we will hold off on vaccinating our children - initially. This is a difficult topic, and I'm sure every parent can relate to a certain degree. Down the line we'll probably vaccinate them but for now the risk/reward simply isn't there. And speaking to multiple parents, we're not alone.

So here's my question: do you think Royal will mandate children to be vaccinated when the vaccines are approved? I'm sure this question will give Michael Bayley a few more grey hairs.

Royal isn’t mandating it now for sailings out of Florida. They “recommend”  it, but they are not mandating it. Why would it be any different after children under 12 are allowed to be vaccinated? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Royal isn’t mandating it now for sailings out of Florida. They “recommend”  it, but they are not mandating it. Why would it be any different after children under 12 are allowed to be vaccinated? 

11 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

But they don’t now for sailings out of Florida. 

Yes they are mandating for Florida sailings, as of a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Point of fact - they are requiring vaccinations for cruises out of Florida that have port calls in either the USVI or the Bahamas through year end 2021

• Like 2