Latest news about Explora Journeys

Beamafar

43 minutes ago, steamboats said:

The affected panels have been certified since 2020.

I think that may not be quite right.  The most recent certification on their website was in 2020 and that appears to be across their product range.  The panels may have been manufactured for much longer, with valid certificates at the time of fitting that have been subsequently renewed.

Searching the Internet and an archive of the Paroc website comes up with older certificates that have since expired.

7 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

I think that may not be quite right.  The most recent certification on their website was in 2020 and that appears to be across their product range.  The panels may have been manufactured for much longer, with valid certificates at the time of fitting that have been subsequently renewed.

Searching the Internet and an archive of the Paroc website comes up with older certificates that have since expired.

Paroc is in business for 30 years or so. Of course they manufactured panels before 2020. But the affected one is a newer one. The FT article is talking about two different types which are affected. Not all products of Paroc are affected.

steamboats 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Sorry but Disney Wish is listed as being one of the possibly affected ships.....

Meyer most definitely uses Paroc panels. Royal Caribbean is identified as being involved.

Do you have a list of all 45 affected vessels? Just because the Paroc website does mention ships their products are buildt in such a list does not mean that all those ships have buildt in the affected panels.

I never said that Meyer does not use Paroc products. They did not use the two affected ones. That's the official statement by Meyer.

steamboats 

3 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Paroc is in business for 30 years or so. Of course they manufactured panels before 2020. But the affected one is a newer one. The FT article is talking about two different types which are affected. Not all products of Paroc are affected.

steamboats 

Which specific panel models are affected?

13 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

Which specific panel models are affected?

This is not disclosed in the FT article.

In the meantime the article has been updated and they added the sentance: "Meyer Werft said none of their ships were affected."

steamboats 

22 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Do you have a list of all 45 affected vessels? Just because the Paroc website does mention ships their products are buildt in such a list does not mean that all those ships have buildt in the affected panels.

I never said that Meyer does not use Paroc products. They did not use the two affected ones. That's the official statement by Meyer.

steamboats 

Please accept my apologies .... if you check, I actually removed my post as Meyer has stated that their ships are not affected.  When I went to revise my post and place a quote, the FT had amended their article.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, steamboats said:

But the affected one is a newer one.

4 minutes ago, steamboats said:

This is not disclosed in the FT article.

In the meantime the article has been updated and they added the sentance: "Meyer Werft said none of their ships were affected."

steamboats 

How do you know it a "newer one" then?  I'm suggesting that there is insufficient evidence in the public domain to say that they were first certified in 2020, or even when they were first used.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, uktog said:

Given the reason for the problem, vessels launched a year ago or coming back out from dry dock a year ago are also affected.  The difference is they have "sailing certificates" but their owners will now realise these certificates could be withdrawn, they have a serious safety issue and can they continue sailing knowing key panels are now not considered to be fire retardant.

Explora were ready for guests (albeit probably with a few rough edges we would have tolerated.  The last 24 hours has been a roller coaster trying to find anything that would fit

Ann,I am really sorry. I guess I blame the shipyard the most. It is concerning that some of the new builds that I been on or could be booked on might have these panels. But for now keeping my hopes up.I am booked on fairly new builds..all post covid

i understand  you want a trip as you had one planned.

I also see the other side.

that side being people like Tanya who was to,start in July.Guest entertainers who lost a gig..lost of paycheck.

so let’s look at it from all eyes.

Better question is there enough certified product on the market and how long will it take to remove and replace ?  We had a problem in this country with drywall. Our production of homes outpaced our production of drywall and the material was imported from China which was found to be toxic. It takes more time to fix problems. What about the supply of computer chips in cars?  There may well be a 'work around' otherwise the cruise industry may not recover from this new catastrophe in the making. Cruisers might think twice about sailing until the problem is fixed.

P.S. There should be stricter enforcement on smoking.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

2 hours ago, steamboats said:

That´s the official statement by Meyer. They did not use this specific kind of panel on their newbuildts. They are using poducts by Paroc but not the one which lost their certificate.

steamboats

I believe the FT article stated 2 different panel models lost their certification. The first was in May and the 2nd this week. At least that's how I understood it....

As you stated neither panel was by Meyer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It may be a rolling problem – ships with valid licenses don't get reinspected until a certain timeframe.  It's unlikely the flag authorities will pull 15% of all passenger ships (45 out of fewer than 300, per the article) out of service until thousands of panels can be re-engineered, certified, manufactured, and installed.

The problem here is that Explora I hadn't gotten its certification and can't until this problem is resolved one way or another.  [In the old days, either asbestos or a bribe would have taken care of it.  😉]  Let's hope there is a small cache of panels from another manufacturer that can quickly be installed in this one ship.

The Italians are still practicing the ways of the good old days. They have the money to do what needs to be done to get their ship to the top of the list. If you know what I mean.

Here's hoping the 12/13 sailing is not the inaugural. I knew I didn't like the number 13.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Keep watch on crew sites to see if they are sent home for the duration of the repairs.

Very good suggestion. Let's all do that and post here. Never a dull day when dealing with MSC.

• Thanks 1

My best wishes for those of you directly impacted by the cancellations.

I’m following this news with interest since I am booked to sail in August on the Oceania Vista, which Fincantieri delivered in May of 2023.

How would I go about learning if the new ship I’m to sail on is fit (err, ill fit) with faulty fire retardant panels?

10 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

How do you know it a "newer one" then?  I'm suggesting that there is insufficient evidence in the public domain to say that they were first certified in 2020, or even when they were first used.

There´s no indication in the article that it was an older already recertified model. If any of the two models was used before 2020 I´m pretty sure that the number of affected vessels (45) would be much higher.

steamboats

6 hours ago, travelwide said:

The Italians are still practicing the ways of the good old days. They have the money to do what needs to be done to get their ship to the top of the list. If you know what I mean.

Here's hoping the 12/13 sailing is not the inaugural. I knew I didn't like the number 13.

i am booked on tha cruise ex Miami ???

Here is another report from Cruise Hive. Which might suggest that  these affected cruise lines have passengers sign a waiver to cruise ?

https://www.cruisehive.com/faulty-safety-materials-may-put-dozens-of-cruise-ships-at-risk/105929

One line is telling. "It is unclear whether or not the new maiden cruise will move forward as planned, which may be impossible if significant refitting with different materials is necessary."

Edited by morpheusofthesea

14.55 today (10th July) aka 7 days before boarding, we have received the standard email others have been sent advising us of the cancellation.  Imagine all those folks who are not on social media how they are feeling right now especially if they learn we had clocked the information far sooner.