Latest news about Explora Journeys

Beamafar

Just now, theotherKennyB said:

We are scheduled on the August 1st journey to Iceland as part of our honeymoon trip and I am very worried that we will be stranded in Copenhagen with no place to stay and everything booked.  I contacted Explora Journeys and they have no information to give.  I watched all the youtube interviews with the Explora staff where they said they wanted to create something new, a new luxury brand that outshines all the others.  Their customer service reflects the same old stuff you'd get from a Marriott and not a luxury brands.

Totally valid concern. Hopefully this will all be worked out in advance. 

We are scheduled for the July 17th Inaugural and are feeling nervous....! 

16 minutes ago, rd_cruise said:

Feeling very concerned about this and find it strange that Explora is not more forthcoming. Is this a safety issue? Or is it cosmetic? The lack of communication is leaving too much up to speculation..

Yes - it is frustrating!

I know its frustrating.  But -- When you buy something and it is not to your liking do you accept it.

There must be some open issues that are better handled in port that are delaying the ship after its acceptance trials.  With supply chain issues every thing is speculation.

24 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

I know its frustrating.  But -- When you buy something and it is not to your liking do you accept it.

There must be some open issues that are better handled in port that are delaying the ship after its acceptance trials.  With supply chain issues every thing is speculation.

….or it’s a safety issue that needs to be resolved. Which comes back the “why” and lack of information. 

1 hour ago, theotherKennyB said:

We are scheduled on the August 1st journey to Iceland as part of our honeymoon trip and I am very worried that we will be stranded in Copenhagen with no place to stay and everything booked.

Just keep thinking about all the great stories you'll have to tell your grandchildren if things go awry.

4 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Just keep thinking about all the great stories you'll have to tell your grandchildren if things go awry.

Perhaps, but what if I am hit by a wayward piece of herring and killed as I am standing on the dock pining away at my lost opportunity to take an Explora Journey???  Who will tell my grandchildren that story??? I'm just saying.  (Too dark for this forum)

As of now (5:00 p.m. EDT) no July voyages show up on the website.  They were there still an hour ago when I last checked.  Voyages show up as beginning on August 1.  Don't know how much to rely on this since the website was all over the place yesterday -- with no cruises, sold out, and all cruises.  But I would guess that as of now this indicates the thinking at Explora is that July journies are off the table.

According to our TA, the first cruise will be August 1st. We are very disappointed! Especially since I have an AirTag in my luggage, and it is currently on its way across the pond. We have been told that all our expenses will be reimbursed (cruise fare, air, luggage, transfers...), and that we will get (I think) 30% future cruise credit. Double drats.

15 minutes ago, Bongomeme said:

Which cruise? Or should I say how far does the cancellation extend?

we are scheduled for sept 2 and I’m a little nervous. My heart goes out to all affected by the situation.

Sorry. The July 17th cruise.

5 minutes ago, mungojerrie said:

According to our TA, the first cruise will be August 1st. We are very disappointed! Especially since I have an AirTag in my luggage, and it is currently on its way across the pond. We have been told that all our expenses will be reimbursed (cruise fare, air, luggage, transfers...), and that we will get (I think) 30% future cruise credit. Double drats.

Oh man….that stinks!! 🥺

Thanks - gutted.

Given that we have spent all evening trying to find our replacement trip for now - time off is precious - 30% certainly does not cut it for us

But for now I have to concentrate on finding a replacement holiday and hope we find something we like

Edited by uktog

From my TA from her Explora Rep:

“I am writing to inform you that we had to take the decision, together with the shipyard, Fincantieri S.p.A., to update the coming into service schedule for EXPLORA I.  While the ship is fully ready and our team of hosts is eagerly awaiting to welcome the very first guests, our ship builders have identified a critical issue that must receive immediate attention.  Certain materials from a third party supplier do not meet the required certifications and we therefore could not take delivery of the ship as planned on 6 July 2023.We are working together with Fincantieri on resolving the situation to ensure that EXPLORA I will meet the highest standards, as the safety and security of our guests and hosts is, of course, of utmost importance  to us.  Unfortunately, the time required for the works to be carried out will extend the vessel’s stay at the shipyard by a couple more weeks. Therefore the delivery of EXPLORA I is now scheduled for 24 July 2023 resulting in the new maiden journey leaving from Copenhagen, Denmark on 1 August 2023.“

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

But for now I have to concentrate on finding a replacement holiday and hope we find something we like

FWIW - some travel agents have been promoting some VERY aggressive pricing for Regent's Voyager sailings in July and August.  These all have pricing starting at under USD400 per diem:

July 14  Southampton to Copenhagen
July 28   Copenhagen to Reykjavik  (including Greenland)
August 12  Reykjavik to Southampton   (including Greenland)

Not the same as being on the Explora inaugural, but a bargain for a last minute change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

FWIW - some travel agents have been promoting some VERY aggressive pricing for Regent's Voyager sailings in July and August.  These all have pricing starting at under USD400 per diem:

July 14  Southampton to Copenhagen
July 28   Copenhagen to Reykjavik  (including Greenland)
August 12  Reykjavik to Southampton   (including Greenland)

Not the same as being on the Explora inaugural, but a bargain for a last minute change.

Thanks I will speak to my agent this morning hoping that offer is available in the UK 

Major UK agencies have not yet been advised and one is not very happy at all.

I started to think ahead and there are no cruises now showing for Explora 2 on the website - maybe a glitch or maybe we have a knock on...  hope for everyones sakes it is a glitch