Dress code different for MDR if Windjammer is closed?

Blondie511

Sorry if this has been asked before, guys!  😀.   We have always loved eating casually in the Windjammer for dinner on our last cruises.  If it is closed, is the dress code for the MDR more lax now?  I mean, could we wear just simple shorts and a t shirt?  You guys are the best!

58 minutes ago, Blondie511 said:

Sorry if this has been asked before, guys!  😀.   We have always loved eating casually in the Windjammer for dinner on our last cruises.  If it is closed, is the dress code for the MDR more lax now?  I mean, could we wear just simple shorts and a t shirt?  You guys are the best!

Shorts have been and still are acceptable in the MDR for all nights including formal nights. You are on vacation, dress as you are comfortable. Swimware is not acceptable in the WJ or MDR. 

• Like 2

From the RCI website (for casual nights): "Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch." See https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code

As per their own rules, shorts are not officially welcomed for dinner, even on casual nights in the MDR, regardless of what people are writing. However, the question of whether they enforce their rules is another story.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Travel R said:

From the RCI website (for casual nights): "Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch." See https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code

As per their own rules, shorts are not officially welcomed for dinner, even on casual nights in the MDR, regardless of what people are writing. However, the question of whether they enforce their rules is another story.

That's "suggested attire" which is far from being "rules". 

I would welcome people showing up in the MDR in swimwear if it would help free the Windjammer for dinner. One of those mesh coverups or the aforementioned robe, please. Keep it classy, no wet bottoms.

• Like 1

The dress code went out years ago.  Please no basketball jersey tops/sleeveless undershirt or Speedo or bikini.  Otherwise we don’t care.  I’d rather not look at men’s armpit hair at dinner. ( And yes I have seen this in the dining room at dinner.)  I’ve worn a dry swimsuit with a complete cover up for breakfast and lunch but for dinner our minimum is a polo shirt, slacks and myself a casual dress or slacks and top.

Enjoy your cruise.  No one cares what you wear.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

The dress code went out years ago.  Please no basketball jersey tops/sleeveless undershirt or Speedo or bikini.  Otherwise we don’t care.  I’d rather not look at men’s armpit hair at dinner. ( And yes I have seen this in the dining room at dinner.)  I’ve worn a dry swimsuit with a complete cover up for breakfast and lunch but for dinner our minimum is a polo shirt, slacks and myself a casual dress or slacks and top.

Enjoy your cruise.  No one cares what you wear.

You work for RC? 😂 You care. :classic_rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, STEVE-O said:

2 weeks ago, a guy showed up for MTD in the MDR on formal night wearing black gym shorts,  a black t-shirt and sandals.  He was seated and served.

He then pulled out his phone and watched a movie without headphones.

Okay this would put me over the edge.  Clothing I can choose not to look twice or let affect me (unless extreme or very exposing that could be hard to ignore) but someone on their phone without headphones and within close listening distance of me is a major pet peeve.  I consider this beyond rude and inconsiderate, clearly some don't think this way.

Back to the refreshing topic of dress code 😉

• Like 6

Just now, MommaBear55 said:

So excited to have a dress code topic! Also, on the plane to Nassau, getting so excited to get on a ship tomorrow. My husband said we "may be" able to book another one for October. I'm going to the future cruise desk tomorrow afternoon. .

Bon Voyage. 🥂

56 minutes ago, poffles said:

Okay this would put me over the edge.  Clothing I can choose not to look twice or let affect me (unless extreme or very exposing that could be hard to ignore) but someone on their phone without headphones and within close listening distance of me is a major pet peeve.  I consider this beyond rude and inconsiderate, clearly some don't think this way.

Back to the refreshing topic of dress code 😉

I would be in the brig! Major pet peeve. I love it when snarky flight attendants add this to the announcements. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, STEVE-O said:

2 weeks ago, a guy showed up for MTD in the MDR on formal night wearing black gym shorts,  a black t-shirt and sandals.  He was seated and served.

1. What was he watching?

2. How old was he?

My take is that if they are going to deprive me of a casual dining option at dinner, then basically anything goes short of wet swimsuits.  It’s annoying to me that so many Royal fans are fine with having their paid -for benefits cut in the name of allowing Royal to make money.  It’s not like eliminating the windjammer is a direct result of Covid protocols.  If it was a true necessity or driven by cdc requirements… I get it.  Closing the windjammer is about the bottom line only….not a covid requirement.  Wear what you want or they should offer free room service.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, STEVE-O said:

Some people have NO class. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Shorts have been and still are acceptable in the MDR for all nights including formal nights. You are on vacation, dress as you are comfortable. Swimware is not acceptable in the WJ or MDR. 

Yes been over 3yrs since witnessed multiple people turned away for clothing, Shorts-Tank top for Main Dining Formal nites. Had sign outside MD Doors stating same. Sure there is some limit's, like you said swimwear. I remember when had to wear Casual Wear, long Pants and button up shirts in WJ for Dinner,  during day swimwear even with cover up was a no-no. Though different reasons now like back then had servers in WJ, at Dinner Waitstaff at your table where you could order from MD Menu

5 hours ago, STEVE-O said:

Rude, no Class...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dianajo67 said:

My take is that if they are going to deprive me of a casual dining option at dinner, then basically anything goes short of wet swimsuits.  It’s annoying to me that so many Royal fans are fine with having their paid -for benefits cut in the name of allowing Royal to make money.  It’s not like eliminating the windjammer is a direct result of Covid protocols.  If it was a true necessity or driven by cdc requirements… I get it.  Closing the windjammer is about the bottom line only….not a covid requirement.  Wear what you want or they should offer free room service.

It is a matter of capacity.  With ships sailing with relatively few passengers on board, it doesn't make sense for them to have all venues open at one time.

Example 1. - When the ship is in port, the MDR is not open for lunch.  WJ is your only choice.

Example 2. - On the (famous) Mariner Around the Horn cruise in 2009, we sailed with very few passengers out of Port Canaveral for the first leg.  Second leg didn't have a huge increase in passenger numbers.  Third leg was relatively normal.  On the first two legs, the entire Deck 5 of the MDR was closed, and only half of Deck 4 MDR was open.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

1. What was he watching?

2. How old was he?

I could hear it from 3 tables away but couldn't identify it.

He was probably late 50's early 60's. He did draw nasty stares from surrounding diners but he never looked up to notice

• Like 1