Changed my cabin

Islandtime17

Sailing on oasis in October and just received an email saying due to spacing they have taken our cabin away and will replace it when they find a place for us. This cruise is getting more stressful each day. I picked that cabin out  quite awhile ago, to be mid ship and it was the one with the bigger balcony. Anyone else have this happen? Don’t know if being diamond will help any. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Islandtime17 said:

Sailing on oasis in October and just received an email saying due to spacing they have taken our cabin away and will replace it when they find a place for us. This cruise is getting more stressful each day. I picked that cabin out  quite awhile ago, to be mid ship and it was the one with the bigger balcony. Anyone else have this happen? Don’t know if being diamond will help any. 

What was your cabin #

Yup, there are have been several reports of this happening on other ships too.    Seems like they are spacing out the cabins to every other cabin for balconies.    guess this gives social distancing on balconies ??    

I would be really upset losing a hump balcony too!

The fact they notified you are being changed to another cabin but not tell you where is not right.    I would call on that,

Especially since they just had a reduced pricing in the last 2 weeks for Oasis and some other ships sailings this fall where solo cruising prices were better than booking a cabin for 2 (this helps their crew get tips).    

I called club Royal and spoke to a very nice guy, he was amazed of the change too but said due to CDC guidelines this was to be expected. Hopefully I’ll get something good, if not I’ll be calling back. The email is not specific as to when the new cabin will be assigned.

Maybe to encourage the ‘social distancing of cabins’, Royal Caribbean should ask for volunteers that can reschedule, cancel with a FCC that’s 250% of the cruise value paid, and/or bump some folks up to suites (regardless of the suite class), all kind of a similar train of thought like they used to do when they oversold a ship.

What does Royal think is going on out on the balconies? There is a divider between them and the very rare time I might have said anything to the person next door (if we happened to be looking over the railing at the same time) we were not very close to each other.

• Thanks 1

I understand that the cruiseline has to follow guidelines but there has to be a better way to handle it than to kick people out of their cabins without consulting on what would constitute an acceptable alternative. 

Like the OP, I take (probably) a ridiculous amount of time choosing my cabin (and often it's two as we are a family of 6 so if we are all cruising we are split 3/3 in two cabins). Some of us are prone to motion sickness so I prefer mid-ship and make sure that there are no public spaces that will be keeping us awake until the wee hours (learned that lesson the hard way). If we are cruising together and can't get connecting rooms I try to keep us close. So in that sense, the cabin I have spent a lot of effort selecting is very important to me.

Hopefully the OP will keep us posted and has a satisfactory resolution.

Edited by JillK

2 hours ago, Islandtime17 said:

I would wait to see what the cabin assignment is. If it isn’t acceptable, I would contact the Crown and Anchor desk for assistance.  Hope you get an upgrade, midship! 🙂

We got the same email for our oct 10th harmony sailing. We paid the extra price to pick our room, a room next to my parents who are going on this cruise as well and wanted to be roomed next door. We called royal and were told this is per the cdc and was basically told to pound sand and that they weren't going to attempt to keep us next to each other or refund the extra cost we paid to select our own rooms. The customer service "manager" was extremely rude and you could tell that she was working from home due to the screaming kid in the background.

On top of that, we got an email last week saying that due to new embarkation procedures they were canceling the key program that we booked over a year ago. That meant that we would no longer have an internet package and the prices of the internet packages now are almost the same price I paid for the whole key program. Called royal for that and again got the yes we canceled the key and too bad that the internet prices are now higher in cost.

I’ve only heard of this happening on the Royal ships. If it was per CDC guidance, I would think I’d be seeing similar comments on the other boards. (As a caveat, I usually only frequent Celebrity and HAL, so perhaps I’m just not aware of other cruise lines also doing this.)

To be honest, that would probably be the last straw for me. I spend a lot of time and spend extra money to get the cabin I want. And yes, before anyone reminds me, I realize that the cruise lines can do this per the cruise contract. It doesn’t mean that I have to like it. 

If Royal is going to do this going forward, they should only let you book guarantee cabins in the category that you want. No more being able to select a specific cabin. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Islandtime17 said:

I would wait to see what they change you to before getting too upset.  Maybe you will like the cabin as much, or more.

• Like 2

Just got this type of email for my 10/8-10/15 b/b on mariner of he seas. Funny part is last time they did this to me on ship last month there was a family of 4 in the cabin right next door. I think it is more of a crew problem where they want to keep everyone together so stewards have all their rooms close by, even though they are saying they want to separate and social distance.