Best way to get to Miami from FLL airport

Trafficatsea

We’re flying into FLL and then leave out of Miami. I am thinking about getting a hotel close the Tri rail station that’s less than a mile.  Specifically one that has a shuttle and see if maybe they’d pick us up from there. Has anyone used this way of transporting ? Did you feel safe? Are there pedestrian  roads accessible if we walked ?

I had a hotel manager say that it’s cost around $30-40 from FLL to Miami, but I find that hard to believe. I would really appreciate any info and/or recommendations.

Edited by Trafficatsea

• Trafficatsea changed the title to Best way to get to Miami from FLL airport

Wasn't sure if you're flying into FLL and want to immediately transfer to Port of Mami or adding a hotel overnight stay in between.  Either way, we've used SAS Transportation www.ridesas.com, 955-600-0240 in both cases but only from FLL. If we had an overnight stay in the Ft L area, I think we just took the hotel shuttle back to airport and picked up shuttle from there.  $15pp

No p/up or drop-off at Miami hotels though.

14 minutes ago, long4acruise said:

Wasn't sure if you're flying into FLL and want to immediately transfer to Port of Mami or adding a hotel overnight stay in between.  Either way, we've used SAS Transportation www.ridesas.com, 955-600-0240 in both cases but only from FLL. If we had an overnight stay in the Ft L area, I think we just took the hotel shuttle back to airport and picked up shuttle from there.  $15pp

No p/up or drop-off at Miami hotels though.

SAS no longer services the Miami area.  Uber is the best option, and yes it is $40 - $50 one way. It's 25 - 30 miles.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pcur said:

SAS no longer services the Miami area.  Uber is the best option, and yes it is $40 - $50 one way. It's 25 - 30 miles.

Oh, Ok. Thanks for letting me know as we used them about 8+ months ago. We've also used Uber and it was about $40+ as you've quoted.

We stayed at a Hampton (I think) in the Bricknell section of Miami.  There was a train station within walking distance, but we did not use it to get to the Port of Miami.

At the hotel you could reserve a seat on a shuttle to the docks for something like $8 or $10 per person.  

We reserved a seat on the 11:30 shuttle.  The van held 14 or so.  The driver starts loading, about 10 are seated and then all realize there was 1 too many people than there were seats.

Driver scratches his head and starts to check the names of the people.  The first two people who sat were actually on the 1:30 schedule.  He tried to get them to exit AND THEY REFUSED.   Then proceeded one of those arguments that I interpreted as “we are entitled” so they would not leave. Someone in the back sat on anothers lap, or they sardined in somehow, but that couple did not leave. 

Since Covid I told my wife I am becoming a curmudgeon, so if it happens again I may have to spout off.

Eddie

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eddie Wilson said:

We stayed at a Hampton (I think) in the Bricknell section of Miami.  There was a train station within walking distance, but we did not use it to get to the Port of Miami.

At the hotel you could reserve a seat on a shuttle to the docks for something like $8 or $10 per person.  

We reserved a seat on the 11:30 shuttle.  The van held 14 or so.  The driver starts loading, about 10 are seated and then all realize there was 1 too many people than there were seats.

Driver scratches his head and starts to check the names of the people.  The first two people who sat were actually on the 1:30 schedule.  He tried to get them to exit AND THEY REFUSED.   Then proceeded one of those arguments that I interpreted as “we are entitled” so they would not leave. Someone in the back sat on anothers lap, or they sardined in somehow, but that couple did not leave. 

Since Covid I told my wife I am becoming a curmudgeon, so if it happens again I may have to spout off.

Eddie

You can't fix stupid.  😏

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

We stayed at a Hampton (I think) in the Bricknell section of Miami. .....

.....He tried to get them to exit AND THEY REFUSED. ....

Eddie

Driver should have put their luggage outside the van and started driving off.  I'd bet they'd leave the vehicle then...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We flew into FLL for our last cruise out of Miami.  We made arrangements for a private car service to pick us up at the airport and take us to our hotel in Miami.  Used the same car service for the trip from the ship to FLL for our return home.

Taxi, Uber, Lyft, Super Shuttle, are all viable options.  It just depends on what you are most comfortable with.

We have a sailing out of Fort Lauderdale in December followed by a second sailing out of Miami upon return from the first cruise and will again be using a car service. 

Edited by DaKahuna

I’ve used Tri-Rail between FLL and Miami; it’s perfectly safe and a fine way to get between the two. Pedestrian access is not great though, it’s still Florida and not very walkable. However; it’s worth noting that the Tri-Rail goes to the Miami airport, not downtown Miami, so you still need to take the metro or a car downtown and to the port.

I’ve since taken Brightline between Fort Lauderdale and Miami and, although a bit more expensive, it’s more convenient since it goes into the heart of downtown Miami. However, the Fort Lauderdale station is somewhat far from the FLL airport. It’s all a bit of a mixed bag; if you’re with a group (or more than 2 people), it’s probably best to just take an Uber/Lyft, your cost savings in taking the train would be negligible.

• Thanks 3

After our recent cruise, we ubered from Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, to a downtown Miami hotel. The cost was $38.14, and we gave an $8 tip for a total of $46.14.  -- About $23 per person. This was on August 1.

I don't think you can do much better than that. Plus you have the convenience of a private ride. None of the shuttle issues such as others described above. 

We had looked at public transportation but it looked like a big hassle, some combination of trains and busses. The uber was well worth the cost to avoid having to do public transit while hauling luggage.

• Like 1

When we cruised out of Miami we always flew into Fort Lauderdale (flights cost less flying to FLL) the night before and stayed at the Riverside Hotel which is right downtown. The Italian bakery across the street is to die for. On the morning of the cruise we would have Larry's Limo booked for the trip to the port. This was the best stress free way for us to enjoy our cruise adventure. Highly recommend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

We flew into FLL for our last cruise out of Miami.  We made arrangements for a private car service to pick us up at the airport and take us to our hotel in Miami.  Used the same car service for the trip from the ship to FLL for our return home.

Taxi, Uber, Lyft, Super Shuttle, are all viable options.  It just depends on what you are most comfortable with.

We have a sailing out of Fort Lauderdale in December followed by a second sailing out of Miami upon return from the first cruise and will again be using a car service. 

How much was the car service?  And what is their name?

31 minutes ago, cruisinelmo said:

When we cruised out of Miami we always flew into Fort Lauderdale (flights cost less flying to FLL) the night before and stayed at the Riverside Hotel which is right downtown. The Italian bakery across the street is to die for. On the morning of the cruise we would have Larry's Limo booked for the trip to the port. This was the best stress free way for us to enjoy our cruise adventure. Highly recommend.

Agree on the Riverside...nice Mexican restaurant just across the street and down a block or so is good too....

You will also find hotels are generally less in Ft Lauderdale then downtown Miami.  Or for less you could stay near the Miami airport.  We usually like to be in the city of departure the morning of a cruise but in this case they are so close…

Uber is the way to go unless you book private transportation.  However we’ve been charged per bag by an Uber driver in Ft Lauderdale.  It was an Uber XL and he still wanted more.  We declined and took a cab.  ( He counted a laptop bag and a personal bag we wanted to keep up front saying we had 6 instead of 4 bags.) 

14 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Eddie

One of many reasons hotel shuttles aren't the best option.

Tri-Rail is not worth the headache - fairly long walk from FLL to the station and you'll have to transfer to Metro-Rail in Miami and then an Uber or bus to the port terminal all while handling your baggage.  Suggest you use a port shuttle directly from the airport, or take an Uber.  If there's more than 1 in your group, Uber is almost a no-brainer in my opinion.

If you were flying into Boca, then maybe take the Tri-Rail into MIA to lower the Uber fare.

Edited by CruisinHeels

6 hours ago, molly361 said:

How much was the car service?  And what is their name?

I do not remember either.  My TA set it up for us.  I want to say it was on the order of $100-$125 for the two of us but just don't remember.  it was also in 2017 so I am sure prices have changed.

On 9/14/2021 at 8:41 PM, Eddie Wilson said:

Eddie

I dont use shuttles . Too much of a hassle waiting around and multiple stops . I use a cab . And who needs this kind of problem.