Appropriate expectations for dinner buffet

Virga

11 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

I've seen lots of families eating there.  Especially with children.  Or several families traveling together. Also groups who may have just come from excursions and didn't want to change clothing for MDR.  There are those for whom pay options are not affordable as well.

I would never expect the buffet to be an excellent example of high quality cuisine. But there's always something available that's decent.  We have found sushi in the buffet when no other sushi is available as part of complimentary dining. And can understand that evening buffets would be offering less under reduced capacity sailings.  

Exactly. We are doing with our toddler and plan on not eating in the MDR at all. I dont think he'd be good if we had to wait that long for our food. We do the Cucina planned but from what i remember they do not take very long. Yeah my bar is never that high with the lido buffet anyway 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 10:41 PM, jimbo5544 said:

It always shocked me how many people eat dinner in the buffet.  That said, it IS their choice.

DW would eat dinner at the buffet every night if I let her. She says the dining room takes too long and she is tired of people waiting on her. She also likes to pick her own ingredients for her salads which she can do at the buffet.

For lunch I find the Mongolian Wok when they have it at the buffet excellent.

49 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

DW would eat dinner at the buffet every night if I let her. She says the dining room takes too long and she is tired of people waiting on her. She also likes to pick her own ingredients for her salads which she can do at the buffet.

For lunch I find the Mongolian Wok when they have it at the buffet excellent.

Def agree on the wok

On 9/15/2021 at 8:58 AM, Anung Un Rama said:

The buffet has never been great, not even sure it's been good.  We have found ourselves going to the MDR less just because we had other things we wanted to do other than spend 1-2 hours sitting down for diner.  The Deli has really stepped up the last few years with some solid sandwiches and daily specials. I also usually once a cruise grab a Guy's burger right before they close and take it to the room for a later diner.

Same here. MDR takes tooo long. I wish Guy's was open at least 30 min into the evening buffet time. You can buy fish and chips. Carnivals Buffet was never anything to brag about. It was always adequate at best. Still, there are enough choices to choose from. I love mashed potatoes and I am lucky if they are available on the buffet for one night during a 7 day cruise. The ONLY cruise line that does this. Others ahve them on the buffet afternoon and evenings every day. As far as that goes. All the other cruise lines ahve a far better buffet anyhow. Going on the Mardi Gras Oct 30th. Hopefully with all the new choices it will be a lot better. I just do not like Turkey and a baked potato. For me. mashed with the gravy. Oh well.. Still love the ships though.  Best bang for the buck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mondello said:

They serve the Mongolian Wok type fare for lunch at JiJis and/or ChiBang on ships that have those venues, like Mardi Gras.

My wife loves the Wok. Only one problem. The line. Even with two lines it takes a long time to get your food. All Carnival ships have that same problem. 

37 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

My wife loves the Wok. Only one problem. The line. Even with two lines it takes a long time to get your food. All Carnival ships have that same problem. 

I remember on one of my Carnival cruises, there was still a long line (not my problem as I had already ate), and there was a Carnival employee at the end of the line not allowing anyone else to join the line. I bet no one wanted that job.

8 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I heard you choose your selections, noodles, veggies, and sauce on paper and you don't wait so long in line now.

• Like 2

We were not really impressed on the Horizon last month.  I felt the selection was pretty limited and the salad bar was simply not up to normal standards.  We always found something to eat but it was not like the past when I could justify that it was a good compromise to save the wasted time in the MDR.  

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 8:50 AM, crewsweeper said:

I've seen lots of families eating there.  Especially with children.  Or several families traveling together. Also groups who may have just come from excursions and didn't want to change clothing for MDR.  There are those for whom pay options are not affordable as well.

I would never expect the buffet to be an excellent example of high quality cuisine. But there's always something available that's decent.  We have found sushi in the buffet when no other sushi is available as part of complimentary dining. And can understand that evening buffets would be offering less under reduced capacity sailings.  

Agree on all counts. On our first family cruise our kiddo was barely 11 and still pretty fidgety for 90 minutes dressed up at a table with strangers for 3 courses.  All things considered, we couldn't make the math work, simple as that.  With some maturity and a taste (literally) for the finer things in life, same kid is  now more than happy to chill out while being served delicacies unavailable in our normal lives.

To some extent the same goes for my husband who had more energy five years ago before he crossed over the 40 mark and for other reasons, much of life's strains pushed his normal routine close to exhaustion.  He wanted to go go go every minute on the ship and now he's able (and needs) to relax more. 

Point being, previously the Lido was literally a NEED for us, the only dinner option my travel companions would tolerate.  I don't know that it was ever the greatest dining experience but it made them happy (read: shut them up).  That's why it's there. If you want better, even Fantasy class ships have a fully served MDR and a few other options. 

Since you referenced not cruising in about 7 years things will, as anticipated, be a bit different. We are all expected to dress and act appropriately within the confines of the Carnival Buffet areas. 

Just as with gas, food and housing all prices have risen over the years and the quality of products and services have dwindled a bit. Always remember that Carnival is a Corporation and as such will do what's best for the Stockholders, The Corporation, Employees and then it's Passengers. 

I always enjoy myself regardless of the Buffet offerings as there are always additional choices. I don't believe that the lack of a "sufficient" Buffet should hamper your Cruise experience. I personally would and do enjoy PB&J sandwiches in the Buffet area. But, I am frugal like that!!!  

2 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Since you referenced not cruising in about 7 years things will, as anticipated, be a bit different. We are all expected to dress and act appropriately within the confines of the Carnival Buffet areas. 

Just as with gas, food and housing all prices have risen over the years and the quality of products and services have dwindled a bit. Always remember that Carnival is a Corporation and as such will do what's best for the Stockholders, The Corporation, Employees and then it's Passengers. 

I always enjoy myself regardless of the Buffet offerings as there are always additional choices. I don't believe that the lack of a "sufficient" Buffet should hamper your Cruise experience. I personally would and do enjoy PB&J sandwiches in the Buffet area. But, I am frugal like that!!!  

LOL at enjoy PB&J sandwiches in the buffet area as on our very first cruise (not on Carnival), DW complained near the end of the cruise (7 days Western Mediterranean) that she missed peanut butter and jelly.

17 hours ago, mondello said:

I heard you choose your selections, noodles, veggies, and sauce on paper and you don't wait so long in line now.

We were on Magic Sept 4-9 and Mongolian Wok didn't use paper to order.  Just wait until you could get a bowl, select noodles, veggies, etc then hand bowl to chef and select protein and sauce.  Took about 35 minutes to get my finished bowl from the time I got in line.  I had the calamari with black bean sauce, very good!

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

LOL at enjoy PB&J sandwiches in the buffet area as on our very first cruise (not on Carnival), DW complained near the end of the cruise (7 days Western Mediterranean) that she missed peanut butter and jelly.

The simple things in life are always the best. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

We were on Magic Sept 4-9 and Mongolian Wok didn't use paper to order.  Just wait until you could get a bowl, select noodles, veggies, etc then hand bowl to chef and select protein and sauce.  Took about 35 minutes to get my finished bowl from the time I got in line.  I had the calamari with black bean sauce, very good!

Someone posted they were using the paper order to save standing so long, not sure if they brought the bowls to the guests or how they would know it was ready. Obviously not the order method used on all ships. Maybe it was Mardi Gras?

Just saw that you'll soon be on MG. Unbelievable how many choices they have!

53 minutes ago, mondello said:

Someone posted they were using the paper order to save standing so long, not sure if they brought the bowls to the guests or how they would know it was ready. Obviously not the order method used on all ships. Maybe it was Mardi Gras?

Just saw that you'll soon be on MG. Unbelievable how many choices they have!

I'm bringing a muu muu to wear at the end of the cruise😂 soooo excited!!

On 9/17/2021 at 10:51 AM, ontheweb said:

I remember on one of my Carnival cruises, there was still a long line (not my problem as I had already ate), and there was a Carnival employee at the end of the line not allowing anyone else to join the line. I bet no one wanted that job.

They do this at all the buffet type venues when there's a line at closing time; they weren't just arbitrarily telling people they couldn't eat.  If they didn't do this places like Guy's and Mongolian Wok that almost always have a line would never be able to close because new people would continuously be getting in line after closing time.

21 hours ago, mondello said:

The wait at Mongolian Wok isn't due to people selecting their own food but rather them cooking everyone's food individually.  Ordering on paper might reduce time standing in line but won't reduce total wait time for your food.  If anything, by not seeing the line you may not realize how many people actually have orders in front of yours.

The paper ordering may be a COVID-related protocol to prevent people from waiting at close distance in a barely moving line.

• Like 1

Just off the Sunrise, thought I'd start my commentary here with my impressions of the buffet!

Turns out, we really are just easy to satisfy.  The food options available were more than adequate, even in the buffet.  The meat and cheese selections were the only thing that felt seriously downgraded - there were a few different bowls of sweaty cheese cubes, and some cheap sweaty selections of lunchmeats.  The rest was pretty much as expected - a few MDR dishes and some other options.  The number of dinner selections seemed a little smaller, but I was fully prepared for that.  The quality was right about what we expected - some items great, most decent, and a few stinkers.  As compared to Golden Corral (lol) the selection is more limited, but the quality is higher. 

No complaints here, especially considering the additional complimentary options they've added - we were overall very pleased.  I'll likely put up a full review when I'm back to a real keyboard, but I wanted to follow up on this topic in particular.  

On 9/18/2021 at 5:08 PM, DallasGuy75219 said:

They do this at all the buffet type venues when there's a line at closing time; they weren't just arbitrarily telling people they couldn't eat.  If they didn't do this places like Guy's and Mongolian Wok that almost always have a line would never be able to close because new people would continuously be getting in line after closing time.

The wait at Mongolian Wok isn't due to people selecting their own food but rather them cooking everyone's food individually.  Ordering on paper might reduce time standing in line but won't reduce total wait time for your food.  If anything, by not seeing the line you may not realize how many people actually have orders in front of yours.

The paper ordering may be a COVID-related protocol to prevent people from waiting at close distance in a barely moving line.

Only one answer. Carnival knows very well that the wok always has long lines. Two more stations. That is all that will help.

Just remember, they are watching. If you’re content with measly PB&J sandwiches then that is what they will serve you. Never be content especially with kindergartner food. Settling is what has brought the food quality down to where it is . Only when people demand better will they get it . 

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Just remember, they are watching. If you’re content with measly PB&J sandwiches then that is what they will serve you. Never be content especially with kindergartner food. Settling is what has brought the food quality down to where it is . Only when people demand better will they get it . 

Although I often have peanut butter and jelly (sometimes replacing the jelly with raisins), I have never had it or the urge to have it on a ship. I did post earlier that near the end of our first cruise (which was on RCCL, not Carnival), my DW did say she missed peanut butter and jelly. And I do think a buffet should cater to different tastes from the simple to the more complex. Variety should be the key as a mass market line is catering to many, many folks.