Update 9/14/21: Princess U.S. vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test

LACruiser88

@Steelers36No worries all great information here. Appreciate all the good information you routinely provide. 

@007colocruztry Randox labs.  They have testing sites in the U.K.and Ireland. Also, the US embassy for the U.K. will have a list of labs.  The Embassy just list the labs, no recommendations. 

@gardenbunny call the number on your Kaiser card and ask about reimbursement for the test. Let’s us know the decision.  We had a phone visit with the travel RN in July in preparation for a trip that eventually was cancelled.  She stated most travel related tests result in 24-48 hours, but she heard from members that some were closer to 72.  We also ended up getting a couple of other vaccines we didn’t know we needed due to outbreaks in other countries.  Measles was one of them.  Never did that kind of visit before, but will use it going forward. 

On 9/15/2021 at 6:39 PM, gardenbunny said:

Found your comment interesting based on your statement regarding Kaiser.  I too am a Kaiser member - Senior Advantage plan.    The only test I have had was early February for our trip to Hawaii.  I contacted Kaiser and they would do my test but due to all the tests being done at that time due to all the cases, they could not guarantee getting mine in time.  I used a lab approved by Hawaii and it cost $150 for results in 15 minutes.     I never submitted for reimbursement as I felt it would not be paid since it was for travel, and out of network.  And my Hawaii trip had been rescheduled 3 times.  I would have paid any reasonable amount to go - for the cost of the trip for a month in Maui,  what was another $150 😁

Do you think with all the travel options demanding testing it can be reimbursed now?

A year ago kaiser told me that no refund if I got test from another testing company.Does anyone no what the approximate cost for  these self home tests and whether or not I could take the test while on an existing cruise ship to use on a cruise starting the day I get off an existing cruise I am on?

26 minutes ago, jowilson said:

A year ago kaiser told me that no refund if I got test from another testing company.Does anyone no what the approximate cost for  these self home tests and whether or not I could take the test while on an existing cruise ship to use on a cruise starting the day I get off an existing cruise I am on?

You may want to read this discussion.

Also, when are your cruises?

We will be in a Secrets resort in Dominican Republic and fly to FLL 11/30/21. Boarding cruise ship 12/1/21. They are doing pre-departure COVID tests at DR, but not sure if this test is OK with cruise line. Wondering if I can take an at-home Covid test with me to DR and if I can do it there so we can board on 12/1/21.

1 hour ago, Bethcb said:

Wondering if I can take an at-home Covid test with me to DR and if I can do it there so we can board on 12/1/21.

I do not see why you could not?  There are no restrictions as to where you are located when taking the self-test.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bethcb said:

We will be in a Secrets resort in Dominican Republic and fly to FLL 11/30/21. Boarding cruise ship 12/1/21. They are doing pre-departure COVID tests at DR, but not sure if this test is OK with cruise line. Wondering if I can take an at-home Covid test with me to DR and if I can do it there so we can board on 12/1/21.

When would the test be given?  What type of test?  If its given on Nov 30th and one of the tests accepted by Princess,

you’re good to go. 

On 9/16/2021 at 11:29 AM, PacnGoNow said:

Let us know please…

This is what I got back from Optum. It seems to cover the bases, and I'm reassured that the two pack I bought will work for both of us. We're thinking of these tests as the back up plan and will still be trying to get a rapid test locally.

Thank you for contacting the Optum Store. The BinaxNow Covid-19 2 and 3 packs can be used by individual people. Upon receiving this product, you will be prompted to download an app called Navica. This is where you will obtain your test results. Each individual person will then create separate credentials for this app. When you are ready to conduct your test, using the same credentials for Navica, you will then log in to eMed.com. This is the proctor that will help you conduct this test. Please let us know if there are any additional questions we can assist you with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

This is what I got back from Optum. It seems to cover the bases, and I'm reassured that the two pack I bought will work for both of us. We're thinking of these tests as the back up plan and will still be trying to get a rapid test locally.

Thank you for contacting the Optum Store. The BinaxNow Covid-19 2 and 3 packs can be used by individual people. Upon receiving this product, you will be prompted to download an app called Navica. This is where you will obtain your test results. Each individual person will then create separate credentials for this app. When you are ready to conduct your test, using the same credentials for Navica, you will then log in to eMed.com. This is the proctor that will help you conduct this test. Please let us know if there are any additional questions we can assist you with.

We also got the 2 pack for a back up to our tests this week, but we also ordered a 2 pack for our March cruise and the expiration date is before then, which they didn't tell us when ordering, so I complained and they say they are issuing a refund.  Try to call and ask for expiration date before you order.

On 9/15/2021 at 7:03 PM, muffin said:

Do hope Princess does not forget we Canadians.  It would take nothing to have  these tests shipped to us too. The internet  and zoom come here too! We presently have no option in most of our provinces except a PCR test which costs 199.00 CDN plus tax per person.  It is overkill as a rapid antigen is all that is required . Yes, Ontario and Alberta I know you can get the cheaper ones, but due to a monopoly by Life Labs we  in B C cannot.  Hope you will stand with us on this issue!?  . 

At the very least, Princess could  reimburse us  a set amount as a good will gesture. We represent a fair percentage og cruisers!   Rant over.

Is it possible for you to arrive for your trip a day early and get a test there....will cost a hotel room and meals, but test price probably cheaper and even with the extra hotel night might not cost  more.  Just a thought.

On 9/16/2021 at 12:45 PM, travelhound said:

I can understand testing unvaccinated people, but I think testing vaccinated guests is excessive and unnecessary.  Hopefully this practice will change next year.

They probably would like to stop any covid being brought on to the ship - even full vaxxed can get it and be ill, even very ill.  I'm glad they require it - till things improve.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, luvtravel said:

They probably would like to stop any covid being brought on to the ship - even full vaxxed can get it and be ill, even very ill.  I'm glad they require it - till things improve.

This is true, and I agree completely. 

On 9/17/2021 at 11:01 AM, jowilson said:

Emed charges $150 for 6 test so $25 per test. I believe Optum charges $70 for a pack of 2 so $35 per test. 

as for Kaiser reimbursement you may want to check their FAQ for your area.  I have Kaiser Oregon and Washington and their website does say we can request reimbursement if testing outside Kaiser.  Here’s the screenshot for our plan.  Hopefully yours has updated the plan and you also can request reimbursement:

0C9B1BC4-AABC-40E0-8271-5F031C130E29.thumb.png.9133af0167783bc22ac6eb06ec7b2b64.png

Edited by Shelly97060

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

maybe 2nd pfizer shot on 2/5/21 and a pfizer booster on 10/1/21 will be enough for a late Nov 2021 cruise without having to provide the 2 day test results ?

Mayble ?

I would think that they are going to want all vaxxed passengers tested until they remove the testing requirement.  Boosters will not make any difference - either all test or none

• Like 1

I ordered on the Emed site & got 6 pack.  Just ordered a 2 pack on Optum site.

(was unable to order anything smaller than 6 pack on Emed site)

I think they will work out fine, but I'm concerned about WHO can use them?

There will be 5 names.  I was only able to sign up 3 names on Emed site.

Only 1 name needed on Optum site.

I read somewhere that the Monitors don't really look at WHO signed up ahead?

Anybody have experience with this?  Thanks

5 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

I ordered on the Emed site & got 6 pack.  Just ordered a 2 pack on Optum site.

(was unable to order anything smaller than 6 pack on Emed site)

I think they will work out fine, but I'm concerned about WHO can use them?

There will be 5 names.  I was only able to sign up 3 names on Emed site.

Only 1 name needed on Optum site.

I read somewhere that the Monitors don't really look at WHO signed up ahead?

Anybody have experience with this?  Thanks

Refer to post #61 above.  I think you are good to go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 12:09 PM, luvtravel said:

All public events are moving in this direction, test or show proof of vaccination.  It's a matter of finding a level of acceptable risk.  Life is not risk free, but we can find acceptable ways to manage risk.

• Like 2