'Always menu' in Main dining: Strip steak replaced by sirloin steak

fstuff1

Striploin and Sirloin are pretty much interchangeable terms although in the US I believe striploin refers to a cut from a specific section of the loin. Here in the UK they pretty much mean the same, and the ten sirloin is more commonly used.

Honestly like sirloin better than strip steak.  But they are honestly close.  Both cook same way.  Find sirloin more flavor overall.  It’s the steak I by from my local cattle farm in bulk.  Use to by 1/4 side of beef but after trying all the cuts fell on sirloin for overall taste and value.  Would get rib eye but that is 2x more expensive right now 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Fstuff1, Why would you think that it is chopped sirloin? It doesn’t say that.

ingrained into my brain based on sirloin steak tv dinners. 😮

sirloin = fancy name for meatloaf

or sirloin = meatloaf with gravy instead of ketchup 😅

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

So you never had a NY Sirloin?  They come bone-in or boneless (also called NY Sirloin Strip steak).  Very common menu item in a lot of restaurants and steakhouses in the US.  Also very common in supermarkets.  Then of course there is "chopped" sirloin or ground sirloin (used in hamburger).

Shouldn't be too big a change.    One thing with MDR steaks though, if you like your steak done MEDIUM, you need to order it MEDIUM RARE.      They have a tendency to slightly overcook their red meat.    I always ask for it done one level less and then it usually comes out fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

So you never had a NY Sirloin?  They come bone-in or boneless (also called NY Sirloin Strip steak).  Very common menu item in a lot of restaurants and steakhouses in the US.  Also very common in supermarkets.  Then of course there is "chopped" sirloin or ground sirloin (used in hamburger).

i've always known it to be ny strip.

and yes, i've had it.

this ship is the 1st i've seen it called sirloin.

they used to call it ny strip, thus my confusion

Edited by fstuff1

Sirloin tends to be a bit tougher than a NY strip.  Costco sells Prime sirloin.  I saw some with a lot of marbling, so I thought I would try them.  It's nowhere close to taste and consistency of a Prime NY strip.  I can't imagine Celebrity's sirloin being any better -- it's just another way of cutting back.

11 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

I think you're thinking of the Salisbury steak tv dinners. They were a hamburger steak in gravy.

• Like 1

The NY/KC strip is from a certain part of the top sirloin. Other parts may not be exactly the same and have the same marbling, but they can be quite good. 

If it's good, it's good. I wouldn't get too worked up. 

12 hours ago, Auntiemomo said:

Sirloin tends to be a bit tougher than a NY strip.  Costco sells Prime sirloin.  I saw some with a lot of marbling, so I thought I would try them.  It's nowhere close to taste and consistency of a Prime NY strip.  I can't imagine Celebrity's sirloin being any better -- it's just another way of cutting back.

It is actually hard to find the "Prime" graded steaks in supermarkets.  Most are "Choice" graded.

Who cares what it is called.  If you like the steak order it again.  If you don't like the steak send it back and order something else.  You are on a cruise not at home shopping for meat.  Now the difference between ice cream and gelato, that's controversial.✌️

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, patty1955 said:

I think you're thinking of the Salisbury steak tv dinners. They were a hamburger steak in gravy.

As your user name is Patty, I wouldn't dare to argue with you about hamburger 🤣. In the UK, we don't get NY Strip. Sirloin is what we Brits get. I always assumed NY Strip was Sirloin.

28 minutes ago, zap99 said:

As your user name is Patty, I wouldn't dare to argue with you about hamburger 🤣. In the UK, we don't get NY Strip. Sirloin is what we Brits get. I always assumed NY Strip was Sirloin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirloin_steak

I think that's correct.  (US) NY/kansas strip steak = (UK) Sirloin

and (US) Sirloin = (UK) rump