I resent the way Royal treats its Junior Suite Guests

adolfo2

1 hour ago, adolfo2 said:

This is a First World problem, but I don’t like the way that “SEA Class / Junior Suite” guests are treated onboard

No access to Suite Sun Deck or Lounge, no breakfast or lunch in Coastal Kitchen (dinner only if/when space is available) is limiting enough BUT having to knock/scratch at the Coastal door when you have reservations & your keycard doesn’t grant access is demeaning.

Yes, I know, cry me a river, but IMHO, Royal should “recharacterize” Junior Suites as Jumbo Balconies and be done with it as the JS category is all Bark and no Bite! 

I’m a bit surprise that this upsets you so much.  The website is very clear about the amenities attached to the JS and that CK is based on availability after the passengers who paid considerably more for their higher category suites. Where you may have a point is that perhaps the JS should be reclassified as a Balcony Plus to indicate more clearly that they are a hybrid between balcony and suites. I hope you don’t let your disappointment about what you DON’T have interfere with what you DO have. 

• Like 4

I get where you’re coming from despite all the crap folks are giving you.   Jumbo balcony implies the balcony is huge.  Maybe jumbo studio with balcony would be better.  In any case, we’re definitely second class to the true suite folks…maybe “friendship balcony room with occasional benefits” or something like that?

• Haha 9

I will be enjoying my two connecting standard balconies (booked solo) with 2 [smaller] bedrooms, 2 [smaller] bathrooms, 2 [smaller] balconies for less than half the price of one double occupancy JS.  And I'll get the extra point for solo.  🙂

And no knocking on the MDR or Windjammer door.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

I get where you’re coming from despite all the crap folks are giving you.   Jumbo balcony implies the balcony is huge.  Maybe jumbo studio with balcony would be better.  In any case, we’re definitely second class to the true suite folks…maybe “friendship balcony room with occasional benefits” or something like that?

Not a problem. Just reclassify them as jumbo balconies, eliminate the double points, the robes, the upgraded toiletries, etc, and keep the price point just where it is relative to other balconies and true suites. Or, reclassify them as true suites, increase the price to just below where a grand suite is today, add in the suite perks and you are good to go.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Not a problem. Just reclassify them as jumbo balconies, eliminate the double points, the robes, the upgraded toiletries, etc, and keep the price point just where it is relative to other balconies and true suites. Or, reclassify them as true suites, increase the price to just below where a grand suite is today, add in the suite perks and you are good to go.  

I think I like the “friendship balcony with benefits “ and keep the points, robes, toiletries etc better.  I know the best benefits are “getting lucky”.  You’re response is just a trifle stuffy…just sayin.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, tserface said:

If Royal called it Balcony Plus or something that didn't have the word Suite in it, it would be more clear.

My sentiments EXACTLY! If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Making them full suites would overwhelm the suite facilities

Going back to original post…if you have a reservation, you should not have to scratch at the door..regardless of room type or status.  We all get that junior suites are glorified balconies….but if you’re  going to grant a benefit (even space A), you shouldn’t demean customers by making them look like beggars.

Edited by dianajo67
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Making them full suites would overwhelm the suite facilities

True, and that’s never going to happen, but then neither is giving full suite benefits to someone who pays half as much for their cabin as a suite guest pays. I put that piece in to emphasize the ludicrous nature of the original post.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

Going back to original post…if you have a reservation, you should not have to scratch at the door..regardless of room type or status.  We all get that junior suites are glorified balconies….but if you’re  going to grant a benefit (even space A), you shouldn’t demean customers by making them look like beggars.

Never felt like knocking on a door was the definition of begging. Also never had a problem making dinner reservations for multiple nights in CK when sailing in a JS. It ain’t rocket science.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Never felt like knocking on a door was the definition of begging. Also never had a problem making dinner reservations for multiple nights in CK when sailing in a JS. It ain’t rocket science.

People have different comfort levels.  I think I would feel weird, like an intruder, if I had to knock and have EVERYONE nearby know that I’m not the super high paying suite customer.  I don’t bother with CK when I’m in a jr ste for that very reason.  I frankly feel Royal should just do away with that benefit so we don’t have these “conversations”.   Maybe put a couple extra bottles of water in the room instead.   At the same time, I can empathize with the OP.  Lack of empathy is a huge issue these days.  Hope you and some of the other responders never need any.  

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

Have you ever knocked on a door before?

Or better yet, have you had to demeam yourself outside CK on an Oasis ship?

I've done it a lot, no big deal. The embarrassment of it is way overblown.

FWIW, Pinnacle folks, not in suites, are now obligated to knock for access.

• Like 4

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Yup....back to beggars ....along with the JS folks.  😉  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

We are in a CLS and I can’t make my key work half the time so I have to knock on the door. No big deal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, John&LaLa said:

I’m not trying to make this a big deal.  I have not had to knock before.  However, I read the original post and did feel empathetic.  Not everyone is comfortable bringing attention to themselves in any way.  I’m a retired AF Lt Col.  I’ve deployed a bunch and been way outside my comfort zone many times.   I’ve also lead thousands of troops in my several command tours…including running convoy ops in Afghanistan.  I just don’t like the snide comments in here.  It’s fine to have a bit of fun with each other, but some people are mean and grouchy.  I’ve been mostly a lurker for years.  Seems people have gotten meaner since covid quarantine times.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Guest BigRoger

Have to say… just loving this thread so much….. wealthy (enough) people debating the whys and wherefores of knocking to be let into an elitist restaurant…. As the original poster did state ‘first world’ issues indeed…. We all really need to get back on ships dont we!

ps can we get back to debates about ‘entitled pinnacles’ now instead? I feel the French Revolution coming on again…