I resent the way Royal treats its Junior Suite Guests

adolfo2

3 minutes ago, BigRoger said:

Have to say… just loving this thread so much….. wealthy (enough) people debating the whys and wherefores of knocking to be let into an elitist restaurant…. As the original poster did state ‘first world’ issues indeed…. We all really need to get back on ships dont we!

ps can we get back to debates about ‘entitled pinnacles’ now instead? I feel the French Revolution coming on again…

I included entitled Pinnacles😉  

A lot aren't happy😇

I for one, hope to be knocking on the Allure TA😁

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

People have different comfort levels.  I think I would feel weird, like an intruder, if I had to knock and have EVERYONE nearby know that I’m not the super high paying suite customer.  I don’t bother with CK when I’m in a jr ste for that very reason.  I frankly feel Royal should just do away with that benefit so we don’t have these “conversations”.   Maybe put a couple extra bottles of water in the room instead.   At the same time, I can empathize with the OP.  Lack of empathy is a huge issue these days.  Hope you and some of the other responders never need any.  

Empathy is not at issue. However, equity theory is dripping all over the original post. I suggest you go back and re-read it. The OP not only wants full access to CK, but also the Suite Lounge, Suite sun deck, and all of the other Sky class suite benefits. It would be like me demanding all of the Star class benefits when we book a sky class suite. Would I like a Genie, unlimited specialty dining, an unlimited drink package, etc. - sure I would, but I'm adult enough to understand that those perks come at a cost. If you are not willing to pay the piper, don't complain about the tune he's playing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Just now, orville99 said:

Empathy is not at issue. However, equity theory is dripping all over the original post. I suggest you go back and re-read it. The OP not only wants full access to CK, but also the Suite Lounge, Suite sun deck, and all of the other Sky class suite benefits. It would be like me demanding all of the Star class benefits when we book a sky class suite. Would I like a Genie, unlimited specialty dining, an unlimited drink package, etc. - sure I would, but I'm adult enough to understand that those perks come at a cost. If you are not willing to pay the piper, don't complain about the tune he's playing.

I believe OP was using sarcasm.  I could be wrong (frequently am), but that was my take.  Sorry if I offended you…I try not to do.

I want to do the trollish thing and just shout CK is overrated anyway and then run away, but as a member of the downtrodden never been above a balcony masses I've never even been in there 😄

The oppression is unreal lemme tell ya, having to knock on a door?? How horrifying!! Oh the humanity!

You get what you pay for and if you're in a JS you're decidedly not paying for all the perks and benefits of the full-blown suite guests. It's a great deal to a sometimes sailor like me who will spend maybe a few hours over the course of the entire cruise in the room and conscious long enough to enjoy it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

As I stated above, even in the full suites sometimes we have to knock on the door when our keys don’t work. No one can tell by looking at you if you’re in a full suite or a JS so I don’t feel that knocking on the door is demeaning anyone. 

The door reader was flaky on the CK side of Allure in August, and almost everyone had to knock - before the Maitre D finally gave up and propped the door open. We had no problem on the Suite Lounge side however.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dianajo67 said:

I believe OP was using sarcasm.  I could be wrong (frequently am), but that was my take.  Sorry if I offended you…I try not to do.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion - as I am to mine.

1 hour ago, dianajo67 said:

Going back to original post…if you have a reservation, you should not have to scratch at the door..regardless of room type or status.  We all get that junior suites are glorified balconies….but if you’re  going to grant a benefit (even space A), you shouldn’t demean customers by making them look like beggars.

Well - you have to knock because the door generally  remans closed.  I have NO problem knocking at the CK door.   I am allowed there if space is available and I see no reason why knocking on the door  is bad or offensive. 

The other options is to leave the CK door open at dinner hours so we can simply approach the host  desk.

M

• Like 1

Guest BigRoger

Can’t wait till I get on Harmony in October….. I’m going to get onto my knees and put my face against the window of the door and plead for the bread rolls……. We only have an ocean view balcony this time…. But I will doff my cloth cap if I spot anyone coming out….

I felt the same degree of human worthlessness on the Allure TA to Barcelona in March 2020 when we only had a similar ocean view balcony and we encountered the people with the enormous largesse of the aqua theatre suite next door but one….. I forgot to bow and scrape….. (John&lala)….. 😂👍🤔😀😅😂

in case anyone doesn’t get this…. I am joking! We had a fab time and have every time we’ve had a balcony though to grand suite… cruising rocks end of…. Ps though we haven’t yet been allowed into the enclave of an Aqua suite John….

Edited by BigRoger

3 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

<Gasp> and on Freedom, Voyager and Vision class ships, Junior Suites can't get into Coastal Kitchen at all!  It's a travesty!

I'm in a jr suite on Freedom right now and I didn't even know they had a Coastal Kitchen on here. 😆

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Well - you have to knock because the door generally  remans closed.  I have NO problem knocking at the CK door.   I am allowed there if space is available and I see no reason why knocking on the door  is bad or offensive. 

The other options is to leave the CK door open at dinner hours so we can simply approach the host  desk.

M

Another option is to have IT program your key to work on the CK side if you have a reservation that night. Good luck with that

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

This is a First World problem, but I don’t like the way that “SEA Class / Junior Suite” guests are treated onboard

No access to Suite Sun Deck or Lounge, no breakfast or lunch in Coastal Kitchen (dinner only if/when space is available) is limiting enough BUT having to knock/scratch at the Coastal door when you have reservations & your keycard doesn’t grant access is demeaning.

Yes, I know, cry me a river, but IMHO, Royal should “recharacterize” Junior Suites as Jumbo Balconies and be done with it as the JS category is all Bark and no Bite! 

Most  of those benefits you listed  are for full  suite guests, not JS guests.  I hope you understood that  full suite benefits did not apply to your  accommodations?   Were you promised anything that was not provided?  If not, then you have nothing to complain about.  You booked a certain category, received the applicable  benefits, end of story.  How can you  complain that you did not get the same  benefits  as those  sailing in a higher category suite. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, BigRoger said:

Can’t wait till I get on Harmony in October….. I’m going to get onto my knees and put my face against the window of the door and plead for the bread rolls……. We only have an ocean view balcony this time…. But I will doff my cloth cap if I spot anyone coming out….

I felt the same degree of human worthlessness on the Allure TA to Barcelona in March 2020 when we only had a similar ocean view balcony and we encountered the people with the enormous largesse of the aqua theatre suite next door but one….. I forgot to bow and scrape….. (John&lala)….. 😂👍🤔😀😅😂

in case anyone doesn’t get this…. I am joking! We had a fab time and have every time we’ve had a balcony though to grand suite… cruising rocks end of…. Ps though we haven’t yet been allowed into the enclave of an Aqua suite John….

You should have knocked. We had a grand time on the TA

Guest BigRoger
3 minutes ago, John&amp;LaLa said:

You should have knocked. We had a grand time on the TA

Now I find that out….. no seriously it was a great cruise….

50 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

People have different comfort levels.  I think I would feel weird, like an intruder, if I had to knock and have EVERYONE nearby know that I’m not the super high paying suite customer.  I don’t bother with CK when I’m in a jr ste for that very reason.  I frankly feel Royal should just do away with that benefit so we don’t have these “conversations”.   Maybe put a couple extra bottles of water in the room instead.   At the same time, I can empathize with the OP.  Lack of empathy is a huge issue these days.  Hope you and some of the other responders never need any.  

If it isn't within your comfort level to have to knock then don't book CK.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

This is a First World problem, but I don’t like the way that “SEA Class / Junior Suite” guests are treated onboard

No access to Suite Sun Deck or Lounge, no breakfast or lunch in Coastal Kitchen (dinner only if/when space is available) is limiting enough BUT having to knock/scratch at the Coastal door when you have reservations & your keycard doesn’t grant access is demeaning.

Yes, I know, cry me a river, but IMHO, Royal should “recharacterize” Junior Suites as Jumbo Balconies and be done with it as the JS category is all Bark and no Bite! 

They are Balconies with Benefits.

Some days you get lucky, some days you don't!

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, ReneeFLL said:

If it isn't within your comfort level to have to knock then don't book CK.

I’m gathering folks don’t know about the locked door thing until they get there all “hangry “.  Doesn’t help things.  Maybe a huge sign hanging  in every junior suite reminding folks of their junior status and providing some words of wisdom to reign in expectations!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

I’m gathering folks don’t know about the locked door thing until they get there all “hangry “.  Doesn’t help things.  Maybe a huge sign hanging  in every junior suite reminding folks of their junior status and providing some words of wisdom to reign in expectations!

It's been a long time, but I think it was mentioned in the letter we received from CK manager on boarding day.

Back then, JS could make reservations for the entire week.

Guest BigRoger
3 minutes ago, John&amp;LaLa said:

It ended on a very surreal note, though

? For us the surreal moment was keeping wondering ‘will they let us off at Malaga…?’ If they do we are not going to be a Covid ghost ship, if they announce we can’t get off….. then worry…. We managed to get out fine at lunchtime for BCN to the UK… after that…