Jump to content

Positive Covid 10 days out


Woodfaerie
 Share

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Woodfaerie said:

Final Follow Up:   (A  summary of events)

Traveling companion DD tested positive what will be 11 days out from sailing date. Based on swab date and exposure window, she caught it somewhere around 14-15 days before sailing.   Best guess she caught it from a coworker whose husband was positive and got very sick. This co-worker, a nurse, is non vaccinated and believes covid to be a governmental hoax. This nurse was constantly reminded to follow the mask protocol but fought it every step of the way to the point of being written up by management. 

 

DD  adhered to the request of management to get tested.  This could not be forced but suggested.  DD being the cool person she is took the test. Came out positive. She was 100% asymptomatic.  Potential exposure nurse at work refused testing, made to stay home for 14 days.  DD had to stay home this past week  with no pay or use up her vacation time.  (because the company is over 100 employees, they do not qualify for that government program that will pay DD for staying home due to covid)  I and our house members tested negative as did DD 5 days after her positive. 8 persons she was around all got rapid tests, all negative.  We were denied boarding as we failed the 72 hour questionnaire.  I was exposed and she had a positive with a test date less than 14 days out. 

 

Cancellation process:  I called the number posted in the immediate message I received upon failing the 72 hour questionnaire.  It turned out to be the generic customer service number, not a special designated phone number for, you know, people like me that fell victim to covid in spite of doing everything absolutely right. (no bitterness there)

 

Thank goodness I got a CSR who knew what she was doing.  I had all my ducks lined up in a row. Had both a printed and PDF copy of DD document showing she was positive ready to send in a moments notice. I even had another cruise picked out just in case I could rebook something then and there. (what a dreamer I am)  I had read somewhere in the thousands of pages on CCL website that proof of positive test is needed when cancelling for covid.  

 

Cancellation/ rebooking went as smooth as butter. No proof needed . I was able to rebook for the end of November same ship, same cruise but Bimini got bumped and replaced with Grand Turk (Hooray!! after this fiasco, I may even join in on a twerking contest at Margaritaville)  I had to downgrade from an ocean view to an inside at a cost of $140 more.  It's a spa room so at least we can go into that special little pool with the jets that back in the day, was open to everyone and one of the best kept secrets. Excursions had to be refunded so I will get gift cards mailed to me  as that's how I paid.  Room purchases of water were transferred to new booking.

 

We did the ethical thing, being honest with questionnaires every step of the way. (keeping in mind the CSR I spoke with to try and get details on whether negative tests would help us out and she said that "no one will know about your positive test")

I am hoping that Karma will work in my favor. Perhaps I will be swimming  in the aft adult pool with my DD, sun setting, sound of the wake, feeling relaxed floating in the pool with a Miami Vice (compliments of jsglow) and feel something under my foot. I will grab it with my toes and lo and behold, it will be a $500 poker chip that someone lost and it found its way into the bottom of the pool just waiting for me to step on.  

 

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

 

 

I'm really sorry things went down this way.  But you are being really positive about it.  I think karma will come into play.  And just think, in a couple of weeks instead of looking back on your cruise, wishing it wasn't over, you'll still have one to look forward to.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So glad to hear these final steps went smoothly for you! Also glad you rebooked so that your poker chip, dbl drink, Grand Turk, and twerking @ Margaritaville dreams come true 🤣

 

I also think you should consider doing a Live Review in Nov, you definately have the writing style and humor for one! Just sayin'... 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, jsglow said:

You know what would be nice in these circumstances?  If Carnival would just bump to to an equivalent cruise without repricing.

 

'Wood, we're so sorry you can't go on this one, but we can immediately move you to the same cruise and the same cabin category in 6 weeks. See if you can arrange flights. Use special code XYZ when you re-book'. 

Yeah, if only. I would have to move to an alternate reality for that to happen.  My airfare doubled too. The only reason I could book this mother/daughter trip was because airfare bottomed out for a non stop to Miami at a price I have not seen in 10 years.  So much for that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, CruisinMama2003 said:

So glad to hear these final steps went smoothly for you! Also glad you rebooked so that your poker chip, dbl drink, Grand Turk, and twerking @ Margaritaville dreams come true 🤣

 

I also think you should consider doing a Live Review in Nov, you definately have the writing style and humor for one! Just sayin'... 😉

Mama, can't do any live review because I don't get internet packages!  No bells and whistles for me so I can cruise more.  ($$)   But thank you for the compliment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Woodfaerie said:

I was able to rebook for the end of November same ship, same cruise but Bimini got bumped and replaced with Grand Turk (Hooray!!)

 

Ruh-roh Shaggy. I hate to be a downer on your times and joy for the new cruise. Grand Turks isn't open to cruise ships this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Ruh-roh Shaggy. I hate to be a downer on your times and joy for the new cruise. Grand Turks isn't open to cruise ships this year.

nooooooo!  Grand Turk was replaced with Bimini on my (clears throat)  most recent booking because it was not supposed to open up until the very end of Sept!   Why on earth is CCL still advertising Grand Turk then? for suckers like me?  I would have picked a different sail date for my reschedule cos I wanted GT instead of Bimini.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Woodfaerie said:

Final Follow Up:   (A  summary of events)

Traveling companion DD tested positive what will be 11 days out from sailing date. Based on swab date and exposure window, she caught it somewhere around 14-15 days before sailing.   Best guess she caught it from a coworker whose husband was positive and got very sick. This co-worker, a nurse, is non vaccinated and believes covid to be a governmental hoax. This nurse was constantly reminded to follow the mask protocol but fought it every step of the way to the point of being written up by management. 

 

DD  adhered to the request of management to get tested.  This could not be forced but suggested.  DD being the cool person she is took the test. Came out positive. She was 100% asymptomatic.  Potential exposure nurse at work refused testing, made to stay home for 14 days.  DD had to stay home this past week  with no pay or use up her vacation time.  (because the company is over 100 employees, they do not qualify for that government program that will pay DD for staying home due to covid)  I and our house members tested negative as did DD 5 days after her positive. 8 persons she was around all got rapid tests, all negative.  We were denied boarding as we failed the 72 hour questionnaire.  I was exposed and she had a positive with a test date less than 14 days out. 

 

Cancellation process:  I called the number posted in the immediate message I received upon failing the 72 hour questionnaire.  It turned out to be the generic customer service number, not a special designated phone number for, you know, people like me that fell victim to covid in spite of doing everything absolutely right. (no bitterness there)

 

Thank goodness I got a CSR who knew what she was doing.  I had all my ducks lined up in a row. Had both a printed and PDF copy of DD document showing she was positive ready to send in a moments notice. I even had another cruise picked out just in case I could rebook something then and there. (what a dreamer I am)  I had read somewhere in the thousands of pages on CCL website that proof of positive test is needed when cancelling for covid.  

 

Cancellation/ rebooking went as smooth as butter. No proof needed . I was able to rebook for the end of November same ship, same cruise but Bimini got bumped and replaced with Grand Turk (Hooray!! after this fiasco, I may even join in on a twerking contest at Margaritaville)  I had to downgrade from an ocean view to an inside at a cost of $140 more.  It's a spa room so at least we can go into that special little pool with the jets that back in the day, was open to everyone and one of the best kept secrets. Excursions had to be refunded so I will get gift cards mailed to me  as that's how I paid.  Room purchases of water were transferred to new booking.

 

We did the ethical thing, being honest with questionnaires every step of the way. (keeping in mind the CSR I spoke with to try and get details on whether negative tests would help us out and she said that "no one will know about your positive test")

I am hoping that Karma will work in my favor. Perhaps I will be swimming  in the aft adult pool with my DD, sun setting, sound of the wake, feeling relaxed floating in the pool with a Miami Vice (compliments of jsglow) and feel something under my foot. I will grab it with my toes and lo and behold, it will be a $500 poker chip that someone lost and it found its way into the bottom of the pool just waiting for me to step on.  

 

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

 

Glad that the rebooking went smoothly. Sorry you had to pay more.

 

Nice lyrics but I somehow don't think the things you are dreaming about were what John Lennon had in mind when he wrote those words. 😊

 

BTW, did you ever report to anyone at Carnival the rep whose advice was just lie about the positive test?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Woodfaerie said:

nooooooo!  Grand Turk was replaced with Bimini on my (clears throat)  most recent booking because it was not supposed to open up until the very end of Sept!   Why on earth is CCL still advertising Grand Turk then? for suckers like me?  I would have picked a different sail date for my reschedule cos I wanted GT instead of Bimini.

GT was changed from our Nov cruise to Amber Cove about 2 weeks ago. We sail Nov 20.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

BTW, did you ever report to anyone at Carnival the rep whose advice was just lie about the positive test?

I am ashamed to say that I hung up on her! I always get names  and go figure, I did not that one time that I needed to.  I was so frustrated because she clearly had no idea of what she was talking about, NONE. My head was spinning thinking about the millions of  cancellations/refunds and calls to get them should we fail the nerve wracking 72 hour questionnaire that was looming in the CCL abyss.  I had all my hopes on the fact that proof of our negative covids (in addition to the required 48 hour covid test) would somehow get us into the gate, but alas,  That miracle was not to be spent on me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

GT was changed from our Nov cruise to Amber Cove about 2 weeks ago. We sail Nov 20.

heading out on the 29th. I'll take Amber Cove. Lazy River tubing. I can deal with that. Thanks for the info.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Woodfaerie said:

I am ashamed to say that I hung up on her! I always get names  and go figure, I did not that one time that I needed to.  I was so frustrated because she clearly had no idea of what she was talking about, NONE. My head was spinning thinking about the millions of  cancellations/refunds and calls to get them should we fail the nerve wracking 72 hour questionnaire that was looming in the CCL abyss.  I had all my hopes on the fact that proof of our negative covids (in addition to the required 48 hour covid test) would somehow get us into the gate, but alas,  That miracle was not to be spent on me. 

Isn't that what always happens, when you realize you should report someone you realize you never got their name?

 

But, maybe you can still attempt to report this as they say calls are recorded for training purposes. If you know the time you called and obviously what number you called from, maybe they can find it. You could explain this was not just a mistake or not knowing something, but telling you as a persptective passenger to lie on the medical form ignoring Carnival's safety protocols. As you have said you found this shocking. Tell them this still bothers you and should bother them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So glad to hear you already re-booked your cruise.  November will be here before you know it.  You have had a great attitude throughout your "adventure" and I hope you have the best cruise of your life.  You deserve it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel so unhappy that through no fault of yours, or your family, you are being forced to suffer econimic damage. You do get the satisfaction that you did the right thing when no one was watching. 

 

Carnival might want to know about the information given to you over the phone. You might give a brief account of the call with date, time, and phone number you called from to assist management with correcting the wrong information. No one should be discliplined, as I am sure they had no ill intent. I would also politely request that the same terms for the rebooked cruise be honored in this situation, being no fault of yours. There is a department you can address directly through Email. reviews@carnival.com has the ability to make things right in special situations.

 

I am booked a year from now to see Grand Turk, and look forward to it. I hope some sense of normalicy returns to travel by that time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Isn't that what always happens, when you realize you should report someone you realize you never got their name?

 

But, maybe you can still attempt to report this as they say calls are recorded for training purposes. If you know the time you called and obviously what number you called from, maybe they can find it. You could explain this was not just a mistake or not knowing something, but telling you as a persptective passenger to lie on the medical form ignoring Carnival's safety protocols. As you have said you found this shocking. Tell them this still bothers you and should bother them. 

I support training for a large national bank and can confirm that it's likely that the calls and the identification of the associate can be located in either the call recording software or their case management system. (There are only a handful of call recording / case management systems and they're leased by most major companies who provide phone agent support.)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, newpherchris said:

I support training for a large national bank and can confirm that it's likely that the calls and the identification of the associate can be located in either the call recording software or their case management system. (There are only a handful of call recording / case management systems and they're leased by most major companies who provide phone agent support.)

Thank you for that information confirming what I thought could be done.

 

I guess it depends on two things. The first would be how much the OP wants to follow through on something she found shocking. The second would be how much the cruise line wants to pursue it if they do receive that complaint. But, it is good to know that it is possible, not just theoretically possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I would not report the employee. The are phone jockeys and have no clue of all the rules. Very few do and even then they get it wrong. Raising the time as a concern would be wise. The rule contradicts CDC guidance, but it is carnival's ship

Agree.  I can't tell you how many times I have called the main CCL number and have gotten info that wasn't correct.  Ended up calling again, or researching online to get the correct answer.  However -- when it comes to the new sailing/covid rules they should actually have a fact sheet in front of them so they can give the correct info - not tell someone "no one will know if you break the rule!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, pe4all said:

Agree.  I can't tell you how many times I have called the main CCL number and have gotten info that wasn't correct.  Ended up calling again, or researching online to get the correct answer.  However -- when it comes to the new sailing/covid rules they should actually have a fact sheet in front of them so they can give the correct info - not tell someone "no one will know if you break the rule!"

Actually according to the OP, the rep said they should break the rule by telling a lie on the health questionnaire. This goes beyond not knowing the rule. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/21/2021 at 2:24 PM, Woodfaerie said:

UPDATE:  1st Carnival rep I just talked with said, AND I QUOTE HER

 

rep said: "if she i has a negative test dated 48 hours or less, she can cruise.

 

I replied "are you aware that on the CCL website it states that if you are positive within 14 days of sailing you must cancel?"

 

rep said: ( hesitated. on answering, there was a pause...)  "well it is up to her if she wants to go"

I said:  "are you serious? do you know anything about these protocols? You are telling me that its up to her?"

 

rep said: "yes, because no one will know she had a positive test"

 

I hung up on her.  Unfreaking real. As God is my witness, this conversation just took place.

 

I guess I don't understand why it matters if someone was positive 14 days ago if they are negative now. Isn't that what really matters?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

I guess I don't understand why it matters if someone was positive 14 days ago if they are negative now. Isn't that what really matters?

CDC says 10 days right on the site. Carnival is using different rules for this one.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

CDC says 10 days right on the site. Carnival is using different rules for this one.


I guess I'm arguing semantics then. What difference does it make if someone were positive 10 days or 14 days ago if they no longer have symptoms and test negative? In fact, I'd argue that I would probably prefer to cruise with someone in this situation as their antibodies are much higher than someone who has been fully vaccinated more than 6 months.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Keys2Heaven said:

I guess I don't understand why it matters if someone was positive 14 days ago if they are negative now. Isn't that what really matters?

It's their RULES, but your question is valid. They are going overboard (pun intended) in their supposed safety measures.

 

And there is even a very good chance given all the negative tests that followed in the narrative told by the OP that that positive test was a false positive.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2021 at 6:03 PM, Moviela said:

Email. reviews@carnival.com has the ability to make things right in special situations.

 

I am booked a year from now to see Grand Turk, and look forward to it. I hope some sense of normalicy returns to travel by that time.

Thank you for that email. I didn't know it existed.  I love Grand Turk.  Some very cool fish to see snorkeling or  you can head into Margaritaville and have so much fun with the DJ and her/his adult contests.  Its all free except if you want to pay for a few premium chairs with umbrellas, a cooler and a personal server.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2021 at 12:46 PM, Keys2Heaven said:


I guess I'm arguing semantics then. What difference does it make if someone were positive 10 days or 14 days ago if they no longer have symptoms and test negative? In fact, I'd argue that I would probably prefer to cruise with someone in this situation as their antibodies are much higher than someone who has been fully vaccinated more than 6 months.

This was our feelings exactly which is why we held our breath when we started the 72 hour questionnaire.  We had hoped that there would be some additional questions since it was a YES for exposure for me.  No follow up questions like did we have a negative at any time after the positive.  In fact, I did my questionnaire first and it didn't even let us get to DD questionnaire. I guess since I couldn't board, there was no purpose in completing the roomies questionnaire. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2021 at 2:30 PM, ontheweb said:

And there is even a very good chance given all the negative tests that followed in the narrative told by the OP that that positive test was a false positive.

That was our thought. Not one person had a positive test of all those she came into contact with.  (8 persons total)  And everyone was tested 4-5 days after her positive so that was the proper window to wait. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...