Maximizing cruise points?

Hi,

I have a cruise booked for next Sept for 4 persons, two adults in one stateroom and our two children, age 17 and 19 in the other. Since none of them are 21 I had to call Royal and make this reservation but they told me it was no problem if the cabins were close.

Under the current promo we will get double the cruise points 2 points/night. I am considering booking a third interior and letting our children have one room each but make the reservation in my and my wifes name.

So for Royal we will be one adult in each stateroom and the children will share their room. But the plan is that we will be staying in the same room and let the children have one room each.

My question is this, will we adults get 4 points each if doing this or will do we not count as solo cruisers since we have the children with us but in another room? 

3 hours ago, UnregisteredUser said:

My question is this, will we adults get 4 points each if doing this or will do we not count as solo cruisers since we have the children with us but in another room? 

Any solo in any double occupancy room will get 4 points per night - any other booking makes no diff. You may also consider booking 3 of you in one cabin and a solo in another - it may be cheaper, though location and availability may limit choices. Book the solo for the person with the most C&A points.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Any solo in any double occupancy room will get 4 points per night - any other booking makes no diff. You may also consider booking 3 of you in one cabin and a solo in another - it may be cheaper, though location and availability may limit choices.

This.  Just did the same putting me in one cabin and my wife and 2 kids in another for 2 cruises. One connecting and the other across the hall. 

Edited by death_star

4 hours ago, UnregisteredUser said:

Hi,

So for Royal we will be one adult in each stateroom …

My question is this, will we adults get 4 points each if doing this … ?

@UnregisteredUser ,
Yes, assuming you are existing Crown and Anchor members who have sailed with Royal before.     Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Edited by BSocial
Edited for clarity

40 minutes ago, BSocial said:

@UnregisteredUser ,
Yes, assuming you are existing Crown and Anchor members who have sailed with Royal before.     Welcome to Cruise Critic.

If my DH & myself book 2 connecting cabins for 7 nights each of us will get 14 points (double point promo) will that then give us 28 points each?

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Any solo in any double occupancy room will get 4 points per night - any other booking makes no diff. You may also consider booking 3 of you in one cabin and a solo in another - it may be cheaper, though location and availability may limit choices. Book the solo for the person with the most C&A points.

Yes, but after careful consideration we think we need the three cabins due to the bathrooms and the extra space we get for a relativeley small extra cost. These 3 cabins is still less than half the price of a 2 bd GS. And we have no problems with interior cabins, we love the darkness. But I was wondering if the two adults will get 4 points a night instead of 2 by doing this. 

It would require some extra keys since we are not sleeping in our originally assigned cabin but I think that is solvable.

1 hour ago, death_star said:

This.  Just did the same putting me in one cabin and my wife and 2 kids in another for 2 cruises. One connecting and the other across the hall. 

But this is two cabins total? We would like that our kids have their own cabin each and preferably both my wife and I will get 4 points each.

Edited by UnregisteredUser

Just now, UnregisteredUser said:

But this is two cabins total? We would like that our kids have their own cabin and preferably both my wife and I will get 4 points each.

Yes 2 cabins. You do realize that you and your wife get level matching? As a couple you get the level of the person with the most points. 

So the one of you with the most cruise points you should put in the solo cabin. 

Put everyone else in the other one for a total of 2 cabins. Unless you really need 3 cabins in the end. 

1 hour ago, death_star said:

Yes 2 cabins. You do realize that you and your wife get level matching? As a couple you get the level of the person with the most points. 

Put everyone else in the other one for a total of 2 cabins. Unless you really need 3 cabins in the end. 

The 'challenge' with 3 in one cabin is sometimes that booking results in a higher pp cost to have a 3 person cabin.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

The 'challenge' with 3 in one cabin is sometimes that booking results in a higher pp cost to have a 3 person cabin.

Very true. With the no solo supplement sale earlier it was probably cheaper to put 2 in a cabin then book another solo.

Definitely ran into this issue of higher categories trying to find connecting cabins. 

You don't NEED to book you and your wife in solo cabins. As a married couple, you'll both receive the same amount of points. You could tell your wife to stay home 😁 and she would still earn the same number of points that you earn. Your 17 year old will also earn those points. Once a child turns 18, they, technically, stop earning points from their parents but RCI has trouble keeping track of that so your 19 year old may earn them as well.

2 hours ago, LorraineP said:

If my DH & myself book 2 connecting cabins for 7 nights each of us will get 14 points (double point promo) will that then give us 28 points each?

1 point for the cabin, 1 point for solo times 7 nights = 14 points.  With the double points promotion - 28 points each.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

What about a solo in a suite?

I’ve just been given 42 points for a 7 nighter - presumably worked out as 7 x 2 (solo) x 2 (suite) + 7 x 2 (base points).

Is that correct or should it be 56 (7x2x2x2)?

42 is correct 

normal solo in a suite is 3 points per night, doubled to 6 per night 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, death_star said:

Ok, this wasn't something I was aware of! 🙂

With a little planning we could all get 4 points per person if I am thinking right? We have really thought about this and think that we will need 3 cabins so if we can get the extra points its really a bonus for us.

Cabin 1: Wife and 17y son (get 4 points each due to being my wife and son when I am solo in cabin 3)

Cabin 2: 19 y daughter (get 4 point due to being solo)

Cabin 3: Me, officially alone but staying with wife (get 4 points due to being solo)

Am I missing something here or have I got it correct? I see that there is a third interior direct in connection with the two we have already booked so I might go for it if the price I will get on the phone matches the price I see on their webpage.

One more thing, our two cabins have gone up a little in price, will we need to reprice them when we shuffle around our family or is it just the extra cabin we will pay for?

12 hours ago, UnregisteredUser said:

Hi,

I have a cruise booked for next Sept for 4 persons, two adults in one stateroom and our two children, age 17 and 19 in the other. Since none of them are 21 I had to call Royal and make this reservation but they told me it was no problem if the cabins were close.

Under the current promo we will get double the cruise points 2 points/night. I am considering booking a third interior and letting our children have one room each but make the reservation in my and my wifes name.

So for Royal we will be one adult in each stateroom and the children will share their room. But the plan is that we will be staying in the same room and let the children have one room each.

Points go to the person in the cabin, not to the person paying.  I would be on my way to Pinnacle if I got points for all the cabins I paid for with my kids inside.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, UnregisteredUser said:

One more thing, our two cabins have gone up a little in price, will we need to reprice them when we shuffle around our family or is it just the extra cabin we will pay for?

Not sure what the total reprice amounts to, but is it worth the extra points.

5 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

You don't NEED to book you and your wife in solo cabins. As a married couple, you'll both receive the same amount of points. You could tell your wife to stay home 😁 and she would still earn the same number of points that you earn. Your 17 year old will also earn those points. Once a child turns 18, they, technically, stop earning points from their parents but RCI has trouble keeping track of that so your 19 year old may earn them as well.

Is this correct?  I thought it was you get the status of your spouse/parents but not the points.  And points are only earned based on your actual sailing history.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Is this correct?  I thought it was you get the status of your spouse/parents but not the points.  And points are only earned based on your actual sailing history.

The way it was explained to me, the child get the status, but he/she needs to earn the points to earn the next level.  Assume your underage son/daughter has 25 points, but because of the parents he/she is Diamond.  However, he/she needs to earn the points between 25 and points needed (175) to get to D+ level.

I have my children and grandchildren that are Ds because that's the level that I was at as they turned 18.  Now they are on their own to get to the next level.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1

If you have matching status the number of points on the main C&A page is what you got matched at UNTIL your earned points surpass that. If you want to know how many points you actually have you have to either go into the detail and add it yourself or call C&A to ask. 

Or at least that's how my friend's page works. Wouldn't be too surprised if that was different for everyone lol