Where should I book my birthday dinner?

Grandmaanne7

Hello Regent experts.  We are booked on Explorer for our first Regent experience this December.  I will be celebrating my birthday onboard.  We are traveling with our daughter and son in law.  We can book our specialty restaurants in 2 days and I am undecided where I should book dinner for my special evening.  Any suggestions?

7 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

Hello Regent experts.  We are booked on Explorer for our first Regent experience this December.  I will be celebrating my birthday onboard.  We are traveling with our daughter and son in law.  We can book our specialty restaurants in 2 days and I am undecided where I should book dinner for my special evening.  Any suggestions?

All the specialty restaurants are terrific, but have celebrated special occasions at Prime 7 and always had a fantastic time. You won't go wrong whatever your choice. We're transplanted Canucks.....Montreal then Toronto.....

• Like 1

While on Explorer our favorite restaurant is Pacific Rim, I'd suggest Chartreuse if you like French cuisine and ambiance (or, as suggested Prime 7 if you like steaks and seafood).  Another important factor is whether you are looking for an intimate setting for 2 (Chartreuse is quieter), but in the specialty restaurants there aren't a lot of big tables (6+).  For my wife's birthday several years ago when we'd sailed with several couples we knew, we opted for Compass Rose since they could accommodate a larger group.  Which ever you choose, it'll be great.  Just let the Maître 'd know in advance if you'd like them to make it more of an event, or not if you just want a quieter event. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

Thank you for those responses.  I had already narrowed it down to Pacific Rim or Prime 7.  We do intend to try all the dining options but was having difficulty deciding between the two.  I'm sure we'll enjoy it no matter where we end up.

So much of it depends on what YOU prefer.  All of the specialty restaurants will be a great experience.  Personally, I prefer Prime 7, but I'm a beef kinda guy (unfortunately in more ways than one).  Honestly, even Compass Rose would be a good meal - but yeah, the specialty restaurants have that little extra 'pop'.  Pick your favorite cuisine and don't look back.  🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We feel that Prime 7 has a certain laid-back ambience to it that lends well to a special occasion.  We just didn't get any special feeling like that from Pacific Rim.   

P7 does seem to have a more intimate feel than P7 or Chartreuse, IMO.

• Like 1

Another option is to arrange a special dinner in Compass Rose for your birthday. If you let the head waiter know a couple of days in advance, and they have the ingredients on board, they can usually make it for you. Avoid the Captain's welcome aboard night, since the galley is usually too busy for special requests that night.

We like to order Filipino food as a special meal. Since so much of the crew and staff is Filipino, there is someone in the galley who knows how to make the real deal to perfection.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, wishIweretravelling said:

We like to order Filipino food as a special meal. Since so much of the crew and staff is Filipino, there is someone in the galley who knows how to make the real deal to perfection.

We've done Filipino and Indian and you can't go wrong with either one.

As an aside, it's obvious there's not a contingent of crewmembers from Mexico as their Mexican food spread at the pool grill usually leaves a lot to be desired.  🙂

Don't get me wrong - I still eat it, but it would never fly out West.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'd go with Prime 7, much better atmosphere and service for a birthday party than Compass Rose or Chartreuse.  It was probably an off night but our last meal at Chartreuse was awful on both the food and service level.  P7 was excellent, we had a blast.  Compass Rose can be fairly hectic at peaks times.

Save the OBC for a good bottle(s) of wine.  enjoy.

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

We've done Filipino and Indian and you can't go wrong with either one.

As an aside, it's obvious there's not a contingent of crewmembers from Mexico as their Mexican food spread at the pool grill usually leaves a lot to be desired.  🙂

Don't get me wrong - I still eat it, but it would never fly out West.

I had to laugh at you comment about the Mexican food….on any ship including Regent. Agree Regent’s Mexican buffet is good, but it doesn’t ever look or taste like the Mexican food here In Tx or in Mexico! Especially the tamales! It is always  fun to see what the crew’s definition of Mexican food looks like.😂

For a special meal P7 is great, but you can’t go wrong with requesting something special in the Compass Rose. Be sure you let them know ahead of time you have a birthday.

We celebrated our 25th anniversary in P7 on Voyager, Ray arranged for Nature's Rhythm to serenade us in the restaurant.  We have celebrated a number of previous anniversaries in Signatures (the old Cordon Bleu restaurant).  We had a very memorable birthday celebration for my wife in Compass Rose on Voyager, we invited Captain Hansen and he attended.  On Explorer, whether you go to P7 or Pacific Rim, try not to get a booth; hard to give you exquisite service when you are in a booth versus a table.  Also, in P7 (or Chartreuse) ask in advance for a table that looks out on the water.

Enjoy!

Granny7: 

You have some great suggestions here and I would concur with having your birthday in Prime 7.  Make it special and memorable. As Rachel said, let them know in advance; have them bake a special cake for you; work with the CD to have a serenade; and invite some of your favorite guests and crew members. Now that we have a plan, don’t forget to invite me and I will do my best to make it an epic birthday. 
Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 12:53 PM, mrlevin said:

We celebrated our 25th anniversary in P7 on Voyager, Ray arranged for Nature's Rhythm to serenade us in the restaurant.  We have celebrated a number of previous anniversaries in Signatures (the old Cordon Bleu restaurant).  We had a very memorable birthday celebration for my wife in Compass Rose on Voyager, we invited Captain Hansen and he attended.  On Explorer, whether you go to P7 or Pacific Rim, try not to get a booth; hard to give you exquisite service when you are in a booth versus a table.  Also, in P7 (or Chartreuse) ask in advance for a table that looks out on the water.

Enjoy!

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses and suggestions.  I have decided to go with Prime 7.  We are definitely looking forward to everything amazing that Regent has to offer.  Stay safe all!!

• Like 3