New US Vaccine requirements for Flights - confused

Sistersinlaw

I'm lost in the rules of flight vaccine requirements and cruise specific requirements.  For flights - is the expectation that US will only allow CDC approved Vaccinated people into US? So no Astra-Zeneca 2 shot people (my husband) and no AZ/Pfizer combos (me)?

I just posted on Carnival board - asking about their specific rules as well.  If any awesome Canadians on here understand the Carnival rules for trips out of Florida, feel free to help me out by clarifying their rules too!

Thanks!

Working backwards, Carnival's current vaccination requirement is as follows:

For cruises departing the U.S., the CDC requires both vaccines in a 2-dose series to be of the same type. They also accept mixing mRNA vaccines only (Pfizer and Moderna). No other vaccine combination meets the criteria to be considered fully vaccinated. For example, Canadian or other international guests who received a combination of AstraZeneca and Pfizer are considered unvaccinated by the CDC. Guests who are not fully vaccinated according to these criteria will be considered unvaccinated and will need to follow the applicable vaccination exemption requirements.

The WHO approves a double dose of AstraZeneca, and the CDC recognizes the WHO approval. Consequently, Celebrity and some other lines specifically allow a two dose AZ vaccination. It's less clear from the above paragraph whether or not Carnival does, but your AZ/Pfizer is definitely out.

While the vaccination requirements for flying into the US starting in November have not been spelled out yet, unless Canada and those European countries allowing AstraZeneca - mRNA mixes can convince the US to change its stance, I believe that you can anticipate the same requirement as stated above for Carnival.

Edited by Fouremco

8 hours ago, Sistersinlaw said:

I'm lost in the rules of flight vaccine requirements and cruise specific requirements.  For flights - is the expectation that US will only allow CDC approved Vaccinated people into US? So no Astra-Zeneca 2 shot people (my husband) and no AZ/Pfizer combos (me)?

I just posted on Carnival board - asking about their specific rules as well.  If any awesome Canadians on here understand the Carnival rules for trips out of Florida, feel free to help me out by clarifying their rules too!

Thanks!

AstraZeneca is CDC approved (by way of its WHO approval) its just not FDA approved to use on Americans in the USA.  The only thing that will be a likely stumbling block for US entry is AZ+ mRNA.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sistersinlaw said:

Thanks!

You can cruise with Carnival with two doses of AZ.

Others above have explained why it's not listed as an option but as long as you got TWO DOSES OF AZ you are good to go. So your husband can cruise.

You would not be able to cruise anywhere in the U.S. The AZ/Pfizer combo is considered unvaccinated. So you can not cruise.

In July when cruising began you could get an exemption but now that many Caribbean islands are requiring THE ENTIRE cruise ship to be vaccinated (12 and over) you can't get an exemption.

You did not mention when your cruise is booked.

Carnival has announced protocols up until the end of the year. If you are cruising before the end of the year you can call and get a full refund. It doesn't matter if you booked a non refundable rate. You will even get your non refundable air fare back as well. (I know because that happened to me).

On 9/27/2021 at 9:55 AM, Sistersinlaw said:

For flights - is the expectation that US will only allow CDC approved Vaccinated people into US?

Air Canada sets out the requirements here, for every country it flies to:

https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2020/covid-19.html#/entryRequirements

With respect to the US, proof of vaccination seems not to be required at all by their border control, or as a matter of policy when it comes to Canadians. I wasn't asked when I had to fly to the US this summer. But carry proof anyway, in case they ask. Air Canada will require proof of full vaccination during check-in, so you may as well have it on hand. 

What the US does require, however, is proof of a negative Covid test -- all the details for type and timing are online. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Air Canada sets out the requirements here, for every country it flies to:

https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2020/covid-19.html#/entryRequirements

With respect to the US, proof of vaccination seems not to be required at all by their border control, or as a matter of policy when it comes to Canadians. I wasn't asked when I had to fly to the US this summer. But carry proof anyway, in case they ask. Air Canada will require proof of full vaccination during check-in, so you may as well have it on hand. 

What the US does require, however, is proof of a negative Covid test -- all the details for type and timing are online. 

I think the question is what is going to happen in November, when the US opens up to vaccinated visitors from the EU. Will they change the rules for Canadians at the same time (perhaps also opening up the land border to vaccinated Canadians) or will the rules remain as they currently are?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I think the question is what is going to happen in November, when the US opens up to vaccinated visitors from the EU. Will they change the rules for Canadians at the same time (perhaps also opening up the land border to vaccinated Canadians) or will the rules remain as they currently are?

Fair enough.  It's September 28th now, not November.   None of us know how this will play out.   

The OP's initial question, however, didn't reference November/EU/opening up to vaccinated visitors, so I responded with info on how things are currently.

Edited by lots-of-km2

2 hours ago, gubby said:

Thanks lots-of-km2. I saw the Air  Canada info previously, but it didn't show up yesterday. Trying to plan trips requires so much info and having it in just one place is so convenient.

You're welcome.  And the requirements are constantly changing, so it's a lot to keep track of. (I needed 3 different QR codes and a hard copy of PCR test results to get on a plane back to Toronto this past weekend).

Edited by lots-of-km2

I also posted this on the Cost of vaccines in Canada thread..

I am aware how quickly things change, but I want to make sure that I understand what is going on now. 

1. To get aboard a flight from Canada to USA, I require an antigen test ( $ 40 at SDM, cheaper at Costco) within  3 days of flight.

2. To return to Canada, I need a PCR or NAAT test within 3 days before boarding flight. I must also complete an Arrive Canada ap.

These guidelines will likely  have changed by October. If /when land  border re-opens, then new guidelines will apply overland as well. 

Is my understanding correct as of now, or is there something not right?

Just now, gubby said:

I am aware how quickly things change, but I want to make sure that I understand what is going on now. 

1. To get aboard a flight from Canada to USA, I require an antigen test ( $ 40 at SDM, cheaper at Costco) within  3 days of flight.

2. To return to Canada, I need a PCR or NAAT test within 3 days before boarding flight. I must also complete an Arrive Canada ap.

These guidelines will likely  have changed by October. If /when land  border re-opens, then new guidelines will apply overland as well. 

Is my understanding correct as of now, or is there something not right?

I saw that post first and I've responded there. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Welly9 said:

testing - is it 3 days prior or reduced to 2 days now? or is that just for cruising??

Still 72 hours for entry to Canada:

If you're flying to Canada, you must take a molecular test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada. Airlines will refuse boarding to travellers who are unable to provide a valid molecular test result.

• If you have a connecting flight:
    • the test must be conducted within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your last direct flight to Canada
    • you may need to schedule the test in your transit city

On 9/27/2021 at 10:55 AM, Sistersinlaw said:

Thanks!

All we can say for sure is that the current rules require you to do at least an antigen test and to pass that test no more than 3 days prior to your air travel to the US. What will happen after Oct 21 is anyone's guess but reading between the lines at the new rules due out in "early November" - to quote the US administration - it appears that at some point in November anyone flying in to the US will have to provide proof of vaccination and a negative test. Now, will that extend to Canada? I can't see why it wouldn't. The next thing is, will they recognize mixed doses? Again, if I was a betting man I'd say no they likely won't. Two AZ? I think they will.

If I was a mixed dose person and wanted to travel to the US after November 1, I'd be hustling my butt to somewhere to get a 2nd mRNA vaccine. In fact, I did just that. I do not see any reason why I should trust the federal government in their assurances that all will be fine. They don't want people travelling and so putting a clamp down on mixed dosed Canadians only plays into what they want to happen.

But don't worry, they'll continue to work diligently to ensure mixed doses are accepted I'm sure.

</sarcasm>.

30 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

All we can say for sure is that the current rules require you to do at least an antigen test and to pass that test no more than 3 days prior to your air travel to the US. What will happen after Oct 21 is anyone's guess but reading between the lines at the new rules due out in "early November" - to quote the US administration - it appears that at some point in November anyone flying in to the US will have to provide proof of vaccination and a negative test. Now, will that extend to Canada? I can't see why it wouldn't. The next thing is, will they recognize mixed doses? Again, if I was a betting man I'd say no they likely won't. Two AZ? I think they will.

If I was a mixed dose person and wanted to travel to the US after November 1, I'd be hustling my butt to somewhere to get a 2nd mRNA vaccine. In fact, I did just that. I do not see any reason why I should trust the federal government in their assurances that all will be fine. They don't want people travelling and so putting a clamp down on mixed dosed Canadians only plays into what they want to happen.

But don't worry, they'll continue to work diligently to ensure mixed doses are accepted I'm sure.

</sarcasm>.

Isn't it currently 2 days, not 3?

11 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Isn't it currently 2 days, not 3?

Two days for cruise lines, but three calendar days for flights to US. As many/most of us try to do it all with a single test, using the cruise line guidelines, it becomes two days by choice rather than by requirement.

Edited by Fouremco

19 hours ago, gubby said:

You can get an antigen test at Costco? In Canada?

51 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

You can get an antigen test at Costco? In Canada?

You can in Ottawa. That being the case, I imagine that those in other cities have or will have testing facilities too. Unless the one here is a trial run to see if it's worth doing at other stores as well.

Take a look at this post from yesterday:

Edited by Fouremco

And to meet current requirements for travel to the US, here's an antigen testing deal for Aeroplan members that I just stumbled on, from Switch Health:

https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/#commerce

At $39, the antigen test is $1 less than SDM (no big deal) but they offer 500 Aeroplan miles as well, which is awesome.  They also offer a PCR at-home collection test kit for $159, with a 1000 Aeroplan mile bonus, or an in-clinic test for $129, with 1000 mile bonus.

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

I'd be hustling my butt to somewhere to get a 2nd mRNA vaccine. In fact, I did just that.

How? In ON, a third dose is not given at this point, except to the moderately-to-severely immunocompromised and to vulnerable people in living high-risk congregate settings. Is it more freely given out in NB?

Edited by lots-of-km2

35 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

And to meet current requirements for travel to the US, here's an antigen testing deal for Aeroplan members that I just stumbled on, from Switch Health:

https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/#commerce

At $39, the antigen test is $1 less than SDM (no big deal) but they offer 500 Aeroplan miles as well, which is awesome.  They also offer a PCR at-home collection test kit for $159, with a 1000 Aeroplan mile bonus, or an in-clinic test for $129, with 1000 mile bonus.

But you have to mail/ship it back to them, so might not be ready within the needed timeframe.

eg. testing on Friday, flying on Saturday and sailing on Sunday. Need the results to fly first but also only 2 days before sailing. I guess it might work if it's just for flying.

16 minutes ago, OVgirl said:

But you have to mail/ship it back to them, so might not be ready within the needed timeframe.

eg. testing on Friday, flying on Saturday and sailing on Sunday. Need the results to fly first but also only 2 days before sailing. I guess it might work if it's just for flying.

I'm not shilling their products, but it would be worth asking them if they can meet tight timeframes such as yours (to cover both flying and boarding a ship).  They only send kits to certain postal codes as a pre-emptive measure, so they're already thinking about speed/logistics.   

54 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

How? In ON, a third dose is not given at this point, except to the moderately-to-severely immunocompromised and to vulnerable people in living high-risk congregate settings. Is it more freely given out in NB?

In NB (and NS) as long as you have a piece of ID showing you are a Canadian resident, you can get a covid shot. Full stop. Surely its the same across the country. You do not need a provincial medicare card. For me, I just showed up at a drive in clinic, told them I was looking for my "second Pfizer shot" (technically the truth), showed them my driver's license, got my shot. Just stop at your friendly Costco and ask them what you need to get a covid shot. Tell them you dont have a provincial card but would still like to get your second mRNA shot - see what they say.

8 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Surely its the same across the country. 

Nope, not in Ontario.  Not permitted except as set out here:

https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/publichealth/coronavirus/docs/vaccine/COVID-19_vaccine_third_dose_recommendations.pdf

And this is why Ontarians with mixed doses who had booked cruises this fall and winter feel squeezed. 

I'm curious now... If an Ontarian were to fly to Saint John and show up at a drive-in clinic with an Ontario Drivers' License, would they be given a Pfizer shot without fuss or hesitation?

Edited by lots-of-km2