New US Vaccine requirements for Flights - confused

Sistersinlaw

6 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Nope, not in Ontario.  Not permitted except as set out here:

https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/publichealth/coronavirus/docs/vaccine/COVID-19_vaccine_third_dose_recommendations.pdf

And this is why Ontarians with mixed doses who had booked cruises this fall and winter feel squeezed. 

I'm curious now... If an Ontarian were to fly to Saint John and show up at a drive-in clinic with an Ontario Drivers' License, would they be given a Pfizer shot without fuss or hesitation?

yep. In fact, what started me down this road was just stopping at Costco one day out of curiosity and asking them if "my spouse" could get a shot. I fed them a line that she was from out of province and had no provincial medicare card. They told me that all they need to see is a form of ID showing that she was a Canadian resident. A few weeks later I had a pre-planned trip to NS and called them ahead of time and explained that I would be in the province when it was time for my next covid shot. Like NB, they told me all I needed was some form of ID showing I'm a Canadian resident. I was given the shot when I arrived there and emailed a link later (after I provided my NB medicare number) to where I could download my certificate. Note: Every province in this country has a separate health care system that are not connected so giving NS my medicare # did not result in any notification to NB because of Privacy Laws.

To get this third shot is going to take a little effort and a white lie on your part. Go to Costco, tell them you just arrived to Ontario a few weeks ago and need your second mRNA shot. See what they say. I would be surprised if they didnt offer you the shot. Be sure to tell them its your second mRNA so it gets noted on your form. You'll then carry that form with the others from Ontario until such time as the vaccine passports systems are on line. When that happens, there will be plenty of room for 3rd, 4th and 5th shots and you always have the option to carry the papers with you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

To get this third shot is going to take a little effort and a white lie on your part.

I don't want to have to resort to any lying (big or small) to get a third shot, or to take a booster shot away from someone who needs it, if supplies are limited.   That's just me. 

If another province has a surplus of Pfizer shots and is able and willing to administer a third dose to an Ontarian, and if by the beginning of December, the cruise ships still won't accept a passenger with a mixed dose,   I'd be more than willing to get on a plane for a weekend trip there to get a jab.  If it's Saint John, even better.  Beautiful place. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

I don't want to have to resort to any lying (big or small) to get a third shot, or to take a booster shot away from someone who needs it, if supplies are limited.   That's just me. 

If another province has a surplus of Pfizer shots and is able and willing to administer a third dose to an Ontarian, and if by the beginning of December, the cruise ships still won't accept a passenger with a mixed dose,   I'd be more than willing to get on a plane for a weekend trip there to get a jab.  If it's Saint John, even better.  Beautiful place. 

Canada has recently stopped shipments of vaccine - we're over stocked with them. No worries there. Also, booster shots will not be the same as the regular shots we see today. They'll be a smaller dose and potentially slightly different based on whatever variant is circulating. 

You could also drive to Northern NB - not sure where in Ontario you are but a drive to Edmundston from Ottawa would be no more than 6-7 hours. 

Edited by nbsjcruiser

1 hour ago, nbsjcruiser said:

In NB (and NS) as long as you have a piece of ID showing you are a Canadian resident, you can get a covid shot. Full stop. Surely its the same across the country. You do not need a provincial medicare card. For me, I just showed up at a drive in clinic, told them I was looking for my "second Pfizer shot" (technically the truth), showed them my driver's license, got my shot. Just stop at your friendly Costco and ask them what you need to get a covid shot. Tell them you dont have a provincial card but would still like to get your second mRNA shot - see what they say.

The major difference is that Ontarians must provide their provincial health card. Proof of Canadian residency isn't sufficient. So even if you ask for your "second Pfizer shot", you aren't going to get it without the health card.

What I'm not sure about is whether or not they will go online and verify your existing vaccine status when you provide the card at walk in clinics. If they do, you'd be out of luck, but if they go online later in the day to log the vaccination, maybe an Ontarian could get away with it.

Québec also limits vaccinations to residents, with a few exceptions. For example, if you own property in Québec or if you are employed in the province. As a good number of Ottawa residents work across the river and/or have cottages there, these exceptions are nice to see.

41 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The major difference is that Ontarians must provide their provincial health card. Proof of Canadian residency isn't sufficient. So even if you ask for your "second Pfizer shot", you aren't going to get it without the health card.

What I'm not sure about is whether or not they will go online and verify your existing vaccine status when you provide the card at walk in clinics. If they do, you'd be out of luck, but if they go online later in the day to log the vaccination, maybe an Ontarian could get away with it

In NB I was told by Costco that they have no way of looking into your health record - Privacy Laws prohibit it is my guess. They only use the medicare card (if you offer it) to submit the information into NB Health. From there I could log in with my ID and password and download my vaccination certificates if I wanted. 

I'm not easily embarrassed so I'd give it a shot if I was in Ontario.

"I'm here for my second Pfizer - sorry, I lost my certificate for my first one".

What's the worst that can happen - they put the run to you. Big deal. 

18 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

In NB I was told by Costco that they have no way of looking into your health record - Privacy Laws prohibit it is my guess. They only use the medicare card (if you offer it) to submit the information into NB Health. From there I could log in with my ID and password and download my vaccination certificates if I wanted. 

I'm not easily embarrassed so I'd give it a shot if I was in Ontario.

"I'm here for my second Pfizer - sorry, I lost my certificate for my first one".

What's the worst that can happen - they put the run to you. Big deal. 

In Ontario, there's a separate database for the COVID vaccinations, so Costco here would at most be able to see what shot(s) I've had, assuming they had anything other than input access.

I've double Moderna, so no need to try, but there certainly are lots of others in Ontario looking for their third shot. Maybe this is the best bet. It surely beats that drive to Edmundston, one I've made far too often when driving back and forth between Ottawa and Halifax. 

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The major difference is that Ontarians must provide their provincial health card.

Absolutely.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

In Ontario, there's a separate database for the COVID vaccinations, so Costco here would at most be able to see what shot(s) I've had, assuming they had anything other than input access.

It's my understanding that the ON MOH's Covid vaccination database has each vaccinated person's name, D.O.B and OHIP number alongside the dosage details (dates, products & lots,  jab location, who administered the doses).  All pharmacists in the province would have access to a customer's dosage history that way. I don't think there's any 'slipping through the cracks' at this point. 

But trying to get a shot in NB -- that's intriguing. 

• Like 1

I have tried to get a third dose in Ontario.

I went to Shoppers Drug Mart, Rexalls, and called both the Ontario vaccine number and a local health unit that uses a different booking system then the Ontario system.

Every place told me that I would have to give them my name and information and that they all have access to the Ontario data base.

They are not allowed to give out third doses so they would not be able to give me a third dose.

I tried. Promise 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I've double Moderna, so no need to try, but there certainly are lots of others in Ontario looking for their third shot. Maybe this is the best bet. It surely beats that drive to Edmundston, one I've made far too often when driving back and forth between Ottawa and Halifax. 

deleted

Edited by nbsjcruiser

9 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I went to Shoppers Drug Mart, Rexalls, and called both the Ontario vaccine number and a local health unit that uses a different booking system then the Ontario system.

Every place told me that I would have to give them my name and information and that they all have access to the Ontario data base.

They are not allowed to give out third doses so they would not be able to give me a third dose.

I tried. Promise 🙂

Interesting. Well, take a road trip. NB Welcomes you 🙂

10 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I tried. Promise 🙂

Interesting. I think if this was the case in NB, a case filed with the Privacy Commissioner might be something I'd consider. I don't see how a government agency can arbitrarily give any non-governmental organization access to one's medical records without a person's written consent. I'd be curious if their access was only update access?

Calling the Ontario vaccine # would be a waste of time. They'd tell you the same thing the NB people told me. No third doses. 

Anyway, do I see a road trip in your future? 😉 

• Like 1

Plan a weekend (air) trip to your favourite US city.  Yeah, you’ve got to jump through the testing hoops, but pretty much any pharmacy in the States will give you a third shot happily.  Many pharmacies there are throwing out unused doses.  It’s really weird to hear the “blue light special” pa announcements in Walmart encouraging people to come to the pharmacy for their Covid shot, no waiting, etc.

When we went there for our second shots while Ontario was putzing around, CVS knew we were Canadian and didn’t care, even added our first dose info to the CDC cards they made up for us.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Interesting. I think if this was the case in NB, a case filed with the Privacy Commissioner might be something I'd consider. I don't see how a government agency can arbitrarily give any non-governmental organization access to one's medical records without a person's written consent. I'd be curious if their access was only update access?

Calling the Ontario vaccine # would be a waste of time. They'd tell you the same thing the NB people told me. No third doses. 

There is no violation of privacy. In Ontario we have to sign a consent to receive the vaccine. Included in that consent is an acknowledgement that this health information will be, among other things used in the administration of the Ontario COVID-19 vaccination program. Presumably that allows sharing data with those administering or planing to administer a vaccine dose. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, broberts said:

There is no violation of privacy. In Ontario we have to sign a consent to receive the vaccine. Included in that consent is an acknowledgement that this health information will be, among other things used in the administration of the Ontario COVID-19 vaccination program. Presumably that allows sharing data with those administering or planing to administer a vaccine dose. 

From a practical perspective, it would also seem rather silly to try to stop a pharmacist or clinic staff member from seeing your vaccine record when seeking a second (or third) shot when we are showing the exact same information to cruise lines to board or to the local pub to gain entry. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

From a practical perspective, it would also seem rather silly to try to stop a pharmacist or clinic staff member from seeing your vaccine record when seeking a second (or third) shot when we are showing the exact same information to cruise lines to board or to the local pub to gain entry. 

The difference being you are voluntarily offering up that information vs a government agency potentially releasing it or allowing access to it without your consent.  Again, I'm not in Ontario so dont know what you guys have been doing or signing.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

4 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Um, no. What you are recommending as only a white lie is, IMO, fraud. Now if a province was freely offering 3rd shots to out of province people, then it IS something I would consider.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2021 at 10:32 AM, Fouremco said:

Working backwards, Carnival's current vaccination requirement is as follows:

For cruises departing the U.S., the CDC requires both vaccines in a 2-dose series to be of the same type. They also accept mixing mRNA vaccines only (Pfizer and Moderna). No other vaccine combination meets the criteria to be considered fully vaccinated. For example, Canadian or other international guests who received a combination of AstraZeneca and Pfizer are considered unvaccinated by the CDC. Guests who are not fully vaccinated according to these criteria will be considered unvaccinated and will need to follow the applicable vaccination exemption requirements.

The WHO approves a double dose of AstraZeneca, and the CDC recognizes the WHO approval. Consequently, Celebrity and some other lines specifically allow a two dose AZ vaccination. It's less clear from the above paragraph whether or not Carnival does, but your AZ/Pfizer is definitely out.

While the vaccination requirements for flying into the US starting in November have not been spelled out yet, unless Canada and those European countries allowing AstraZeneca - mRNA mixes can convince the US to change its stance, I believe that you can anticipate the same requirement as stated above for Carnival.

My brother is going to have to cancel his cruise....He has AZ/Moderna....I know he will get his deposit back from Carnival but should he wait until November to see if Air Canada will not allow him to fly to the US because of his mixed vaccine???

On 9/29/2021 at 3:22 PM, lots-of-km2 said:

Personally, I don't see how this would work.

1) The federal government is in the process of implementing mandatory proof of vaccine in order to board a plane in Canada, and is expected to be in place by end of October.

2) Due to the 4th wave and an increase in Covid cases, New Bruswick has implemented a travel registration program.  If you're not vaccinated, you need to quarantine for 14 days.

Therefore, showing up at a pharmacy in New Brunswick with Ontario ID and asking for your "2nd dose" is likely going to throw up some red flags. If you choose to go this route, you'll definitely want to have your story straight.

This was easy for residents of NB/NS to do during the summer months due to the Atlantic Bubble.  Residents of those provinces could travel freely back and forth with no vaccination or quarantine requirement.   Not as easy for someone from Ontario to pull off in the middle of the 4th wave.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lovemylab said:

This was easy for residents of NB/NS to do during the summer months due to the Atlantic Bubble.  Residents of those provinces could travel freely back and forth with no vaccination or quarantine requirement.   Not as easy for someone from Ontario to pull off in the middle of the 4th wave.

Good to have another take on this.  Thanks.

5 hours ago, bookbabe said:

Plan a weekend (air) trip to your favourite US city.  Yeah, you’ve got to jump through the testing hoops, but pretty much any pharmacy in the States will give you a third shot happily.  

An idea worth exploring - thanks.   Was hoping to be able to get the third shot in Canada to avoid the extra hassle and expenses of an antigen test outbound and PCR test inbound, and to cut costs overall, but it just may come to flying to the US to get the third shot.   

Which US city did you fly to, to get your 2nd shot?

2 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

The difference being you are voluntarily offering up that information vs a government agency potentially releasing it or allowing access to it without your consent.  Again, I'm not in Ontario so dont know what you guys have been doing or signing.

As far as I'm concerned, they can publish the fact that I've two Moderna shots on the front page of the local newspaper. Or the Globe and Mail if you prefer. Vaccinations against COVID isn't is medical information that needs privacy protection. JMO 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Good to have another take on this.  Thanks.

An idea worth exploring - thanks.   Was hoping to be able to get the third shot in Canada to avoid the extra hassle and expenses of an antigen test outbound and PCR test inbound, and to cut costs overall, but it just may come to flying to the US to get the third shot.   

Which US city did you fly to, to get your 2nd shot?

Orlando, as part of a trip to WDW

On 9/29/2021 at 1:52 PM, lots-of-km2 said:

Nope, not in Ontario.  Not permitted except as set out here:

https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/publichealth/coronavirus/docs/vaccine/COVID-19_vaccine_third_dose_recommendations.pdf

And this is why Ontarians with mixed doses who had booked cruises this fall and winter feel squeezed. 

I'm curious now... If an Ontarian were to fly to Saint John and show up at a drive-in clinic with an Ontario Drivers' License, would they be given a Pfizer shot without fuss or hesitation?

WOW, flying to St. John just so you can take a cruise.

What would that cost? $400 for the flight, $150 for a night in a hotel, $100 for uber/taxis, $100 for food....    🤯

Seems like a lot of money and hassle to go through just to allow you to hop on a cruise.   I think I'd rather cancel the cruise and spend a week in St. John...... before the snow comes.😉

Edited by DirtyDawg