Mandatory cabin change

Jbrattoncruise

Just got a call from Celeb that our specifically chosen S3 on our upcoming edge cruise this Saturday that our cabin has been “blocked off” and we will have to be moved.   We were told we will be moved to an S2, which doesn’t mean anything to me.  We chose the cabin we chose very specifically, an aft view V3 with the larger balcony.  Nothing was offered in compensation.  I asked if they could check on our MoveUp bids and she said we were showing up as eligible.   

Why would they suddenly block off the cabin we chose with not explanation?    I’m going to call and speak to the customer service team and express my frustrations.  

Anyone's guess why they may have had to "block" that cabin.   Things that comes to mind are a  problem with the plumbing, wiring or HVAC.   We once had a cabin where the door to the balcony would not open, cabin attendant couldn't fix, maintenance couldn't fix and they moved us.

19 minutes ago, Jbrattoncruise said:

Just got a call from Celeb that our specifically chosen S3 on our upcoming edge cruise this Saturday that our cabin has been “blocked off” and we will have to be moved.   We were told we will be moved to an S2, which doesn’t mean anything to me.  We chose the cabin we chose very specifically, an aft view V3 with the larger balcony.  Nothing was offered in compensation.  I asked if they could check on our MoveUp bids and she said we were showing up as eligible.   

Why would they suddenly block off the cabin we chose with not explanation?    I’m going to call and speak to the customer service team and express my frustrations.  

Technically S2 is an upgrade and at least you still get to go on your cruise.

• Like 3

I would suggest that you check the website for  the available Sky Suites and see if there is one you prefer, rather than just being assigned one.  

Which S3 were you in?  We are booked in 10162 in 3 weeks.

Edited by jelayne
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

If the OP is so disappointed by this upgrade, they should cancel.

An “upgrade” is not always an upgrade. Being “upgraded” to an A1 on some ships is a prime example. I don’t blame the OP for being disappointed. We each have our own criteria for our cabin choices.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm also betting on a maintenance issue.  It's not likely that they'll tell you that, though.  Be glad that you aren't the one who discovered it, or you would have larger problems on your expensive vacation.

I do agree that you should have an opportunity to choose your new stateroom.  If you wanted that S1, the least you should be able to do would be to pay the difference between S2 and S1 to get it (and, frankly, they ought to put anything they charged you back into your account as OBC.)

I've got one possible alternative to the "maintenance reason scenario"... We also got "bumped" on our most recent cruise (Apex 9/4), although our situation was a bit different... We had booked a guarantee, so we didn't pick a specific room. Already six weeks before embarkation we got our stateroom assigned on Deck 8. But when we arrived at the pier they told us they had to change our assigned stateroom. We had nothing to complain about, because 1) we booked a guarantee and then you know stateroom assignment can change up to embarkation time and 2) they moved us to an infinite veranda. But we were not given an explanation either, so at the time we just thought it was very nice of Celebrity to give us an unsold veranda stateroom. It wasn't until later on that the cruise director told us that they "blocked off" part of Deck 8 to be used by crew members so that every crew member had his/her own stateroom for the time being. Our originally assigned stateroom was on Deck 8, but we never found out if it was in the part that was now suddenly blocked off and if that was the reason for upgrading us.

Edited by Antropos

58 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I'm also betting on a maintenance issue.  It's not likely that they'll tell you that, though.  Be glad that you aren't the one who discovered it, or you would have larger problems on your expensive vacation.

I do agree that you should have an opportunity to choose your new stateroom.  If you wanted that S1, the least you should be able to do would be to pay the difference between S2 and S1 to get it (and, frankly, they ought to put anything they charged you back into your account as OBC.)

S3's are less expensive than 2 & 1. If they are making the "mandatory" move, highly doubtful there will be an upcharge.

2 hours ago, Jbrattoncruise said:

The only S3's on the Edge are on the Starboard side by the Magic Carpet. The aft view Sky Suites are all S1.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

The only S3's on the Edge are on the Starboard side by the Magic Carpet. The aft view Sky Suites are all S1.

One of the cabins on each level of the MC track is an end and it does have an aft facing window on the balcony, perhaps what the OP is referring too.

Edited by LGW59

The happened also on Equinox.  The reason is they are ramping up crew to about 95% and when they board they have to be assigned to a single cabin for 2 weeks quarantine.    On Equinox they had all the quarantined crew on Deck 6.     Those having cabins were relocated. 

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

The happened also on Equinox.  The reason is they are ramping up crew to about 95% and when they board they have to be assigned to a single cabin for 2 weeks quarantine.    On Equinox they had all the quarantined crew on Deck 6.     Those having cabins were relocated. 

Fortunate crew member to get an S3 on the MC track to quarantine, good on them!!  

14 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

One of the cabins on each level of the MC track is an end and it does have an aft facing window on the balcony, perhaps what the OP is referring too.

That is true, I actually have one of those cabins on the Apex in February. The balcony is not much bigger and the window is a porthole looking back towards the ship, not really an aft facing balcony.

3 hours ago, Jbrattoncruise said:

I can’t answer your question but I sympathize with your situation. This is your cruise and explanations are in order. I truly hope you enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

That is true, I actually have one of those cabins on the Apex in February. The balcony is not much bigger and the window is a porthole looking back towards the ship, not really an aft facing balcony.

If it is on MC, correct, it is not technically an aft balcony, but is a very large balcony, over 100SF and has a very large aft facing window as does the forward on the MC track.