Princess Plus

dockman

1 hour ago, dockman said:

Does anyone know if you can sign up for princess plus on board rather than in advance?

You can't sign up for Princess Plus onboard

It is not like booking or adding a specialty dinner or spa treatment

Plus is a fare code different from the basic fare code ... and would require pre-cruise refare.

• Like 4

If you already paid or placed a deposit for a no frills fare then call Princess or your T.A. and see if it can be changed to the plus fare.

Princess plus are special fares that include the beverage package, wi-fi and gratuities. Once on board the gratuities will be charged to your account. The premier beverage package will cost you $70/pp/day. Wifi between $5 and $10/day. Much less expensive to get the fare up front.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skynight said:

If you already paid or placed a deposit for a no frills fare then call Princess or your T.A. and see if it can be changed to the plus fare.

Princess plus are special fares that include the beverage package, wi-fi and gratuities. Once on board the gratuities will be charged to your account. The premier beverage package will cost you $70/pp/day. Wifi between $5 and $10/day. Much less expensive to get the fare up front.

IF you drink. Not interested in booze, wine, sodas, "free" coffee card. So, Plus fare doesn't work for us at $40/day/pp. I priced out one that was $20/day/pp (for a short time), but TA said our category was "full" & couldn't do it.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

25 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

IF you drink. Not interested in booze, wine, sodas, "free" coffee card. So, Plus fare doesn't work for us at $40/day/pp. I priced out one that was $20/day/pp (for a short time), but TA said our category was "full" & couldn't do it.

But if you do drink booze, wine, sodas, coffee and use wifi it's a bargain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I priced out one that was $20/day/pp (for a short time), but TA said our category was "full" & couldn't do it.

Interesting - doesn't seem like I can recall any thing like that since BSE ( Best. Sale. Ever ) where you could pick the perks you wanted ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Yes. But the way I understood the question was can you purchase the "plus" portion of the fare once on board? It is assumed that the OP does want the three benefits of the plus fares.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Yes. But the way I understood the question was can you purchase the "plus" portion of the fare once on board? It is assumed that the OP does want the three benefits of the plus fares.  

Just trying to decide if i want/need to drink that much.  Probably better that i don't buy it as the temptation for me would be to try and get $$ worth which could mean some not so pleasant hangovers.

• Haha 1

I booked my Princess Plus fare as soon as the itinerary opened (WAY LONG AGO).  Since then, I wanted to remove Princess Plus.  I would have to refare at current promotion.  Not going to happen.  My current booking is in a suite b2b.  Current fare is almost equal to an ocean view with Princess Plus.  All categories above are sold out.  I'm keeping what I have.

4 hours ago, dockman said:

Just trying to decide if i want/need to drink that much.  Probably better that i don't buy it as the temptation for me would be to try and get $$ worth which could mean some not so pleasant hangovers.

The PP is $40 a day. The autotips are around $12 a day, so, leaving aside the wifi element,  the nett cost is $28 a day = 4 beers. How will you get a hangover on that !

• Like 2

The Princess Plus fare varies. For the cruises that I'm tracking prices of in December, the Princess Plus varies from $40 to $60 per day. For my cruise in August, it was more than $100 if I had gone with it. The Princess rep said it was because I was getting a Drop & Go fare. It would have been actually less expensive to buy everything separately--Premium Beverage Package ($70.79), internet ($5), and crew incentive ($14.50). But I knew I would not be drinking $70 worth a day and did not get it. My total bar tab was around $16--two drinks. I did have my Elite minibar items (trading all the mini bottles for beers) and went to the winemaker's dinner and the Captain's Circle party.  

17 hours ago, dockman said:

Assuming the plus fare is the normal amount of $40 additional/day, if you drink 2 cocktails/pp/day plus a few non-alcoholic beverages such as specialty coffee/tea drinks, soda, water, you break even. Approximately $15 of the plus fare is gratuities (crew incentive) and around $5 to $10 is wi-fi. The remaining amount, approximately $20, is beverages. This amount isn't difficult to reach. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Billish said:

The PP is $40 a day. The autotips are around $12 a day, so, leaving aside the wifi element,  the nett cost is $28 a day = 4 beers. How will you get a hangover on that !

But it is not 4 beers or $28 worth of drinks...it is up to 15 drinks as i understand it....that will give u a major hangover if you even come close to the max allowed.

1 minute ago, dockman said:

But it is not 4 beers or $28 worth of drinks...it is up to 15 drinks as i understand it....that will give u a major hangover if you even come close to the max allowed.

You're just too sensible ... and I mean that in a good way.  So many want to be absolutely certain to get their money's worth.

40 minutes ago, dockman said:

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Personally, I doubt that I will ever hit the 15 a day mark, just a couple of beers with lunch, couple of cocktails as the sun goes down, pre-dinner drinks, drinks with dinner, after dinner drinks, and a couple of night caps - oh, hang on !!

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, dockman said:

To paraphrase what some others have posted, it's not about how much you can possibly drink, it's about how much you could possibly spend.  As others have mentioned it's not just covering alcoholic beverages, it also covers specialty coffees, soft drinks and bottled water.  It can be relatively easy to recover the daily cost of the beverage package after coffee, water, soda, beer and wine with dinner without even having a single mixed drink.  You won't get a hangover if you drink responsibly.

For us, DW prefers to only use ship excursions even though they cost more money.  It increases her comfort level as she figures the extra money spent is like insurance that she won't miss the ship.  Same concept with the drink package, it caps how much is spent for all beverages during the cruise, so we see it as insurance that we won't get a nasty surprise at the end of the cruise.  It makes us more comfortable to get what we want when we want without worrying about the bottom line.

59 minutes ago, dockman said:

I've seen two people cut off for reaching the max on my cruises. One was visibly drunk. It was 4 in the afternoon. The other one must have had a high tolerance, because I would never had guessed he had enbibed so much already. It was 8 in the evening. 

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

I've seen two people cut off for reaching the max on my cruises. One was visibly drunk. It was 4 in the afternoon. The other one must have had a high tolerance, because I would never had guessed he had enbibed so much already. It was 8 in the evening. 

IF i don't buy a package that included 15 drinks I would likely drink 4 beers/glasses of wine max.  I don't drink soda or special coffees or bottled water so that has no appeal.  If i do buy the package i suspect i would have a few more drinks than normal and not sure that is such a great idea.  I cannot even imagine anyone having 15 booze/coffee drinks a day and I sure would not want to be around those that max out.

9 minutes ago, dockman said:

IF i don't buy a package that included 15 drinks I would likely drink 4 beers/glasses of wine max.  I don't drink soda or special coffees or bottled water so that has no appeal.  If i do buy the package i suspect i would have a few more drinks than normal and not sure that is such a great idea.  I cannot even imagine anyone having 15 booze/coffee drinks a day and I sure would not want to be around those that max out.

Then why are you asking about adding Princess Plus once you are onboard?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Billish said:

Interesting.  The PP cost in the UK is a fixed rate. 

£30 a day but then the complication is that all the prices listed on your on board account are in US $. The sterling cost is multiplied up by number of days and added to your total fare before sailing.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

The mathematics are:

Premier Drinks Package                       $   70.79  per day

WiFi                                                          $      9.00 per day

Gratuities                                                 $   14.50 per day

TOTAL                                                      $   95.38 per day     

Daily cost of Princess Plus  is £30 per day approximately  $41.00.

Therefore if you use wi fi and pay gratuities the daily rate is $23.50 and you get the plus fare rate for $41.00 you need to be drinking more than $17.50 to be making a saving.  I suspect if you buy drinks individually there will be a service charge  to also factor in.  It is not simply about the drinks and it is not necessary to drink loads because you can.  Nobody has ten meals a day but you could without extra charges.

Regards John                                

• Like 1

We are currently on Sky Princess and have the Princess Plus rate which includes service for drinks. We have realised if we each have more than 2 alcoholic drinks a day we are on a winner. The cheapest glass of wine is $9 plus service charge but most are $11+.(any drink up to $12 is included).. then there is bottled water,  speciality coffee etc that are also included. Certainly is a good deal!

• Like 1