Live and Happy from Eurodam October 6 to 30

Vict0riann

We went to our second Sel de Mer dinner last night ( got the reminder from the Navigator this morning).  I enjoyed it more than the first, but maybe my choices were better.  Tony treated us all to a Fruits de Mer appetizer to begin with - it really is more than enough for four to share, as  a “pre-appetizer”, we all had another after that, I had the escargots, Pat and Tony had steak tartare, and Martha had the salade nicoise.  I had the lobster main, which was 2 tails, nicely grilled,  Tony said the branzino was excellent, Pat had a huge steak frites, he said it was too much, and Martha had the lamb, which she enjoyed.  We shared soufflés, they were really good, and lighter than I had thought they would be.   It was a very pleasant evening.

The sea is a little bit rougher this morning, there are whitecaps as we approach the toe of the boot of Italy.  Actually, perhaps not quite the tip, we are supposed to enter the Strait of Messina around 5.  This afternoon there is an “Ask the Captain” event in the Mainstage.  I was surprised that there seem to be no Mariners Receptions or lunches on these cruises.

Some pictures from last night…FF803460-11F1-4696-946E-ED54C8AC01D0.thumb.jpeg.f32b8d42ab44d2f0f69acb8d3a06c8d7.jpeg2A44C4FF-D728-47E1-9E10-9F28FCBE81DF.thumb.jpeg.22198c95f7a1806d17f86990fcc433aa.jpeg8A569806-3641-46C2-AD06-2755F58301E0.thumb.jpeg.282f5edc4e61521cea19ce746e5b5e30.jpeg5FA38EBB-FFF0-416E-B1D8-EB584B6DE21D.thumb.jpeg.bf9eca72cf29249341a65c63c8ca347b.jpeg5E928D38-8A18-4349-867A-0FD1041B5431.thumb.jpeg.a59b7e00433158101e81b8769c165c58.jpegD195253E-3D24-462C-924E-61B7D0512305.thumb.jpeg.dc6cb227dff48bb3877726769a1e6e8b.jpegDA7C7372-0D22-466D-9343-2FF26854879B.thumb.jpeg.f08be2cc3c5fc900b36d8b561fdc2eee.jpeg0A5B952A-60EE-410B-B929-EF3DED80871B.thumb.jpeg.f72961c527b78c5eb26b1b122d080b1a.jpeg56F7A851-F0C8-4EEC-B13B-5F3E8F91AFAA.thumb.jpeg.7952bc28a0791c7846ba64869befa9e1.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I don’t know  - it seems like a bunch of states have whales, if we see him around we’ll have to ask..

I think Massachusetts also has a whale somewhere (State Mammal?)and that would be very apt.  You know Mass a chusetts 😁🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

We were at lunch in the dining room with J&J, and Captain came on with another announcement, and said health and safety are their main concern.  Evidently the Cruise and Travel Director is now isolating along with some other staff and members of the entertainment people.  Perhaps he will tell us more at the Ask the Captain event at 2. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

21 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

We missed the first Greek night, so were so glad we got to the 2nd one of our cruise.  This photo shows just what we had on our plates, there were SO many other choices!  The crew really outdid themselves. We were too full to even look at the desserts. 

67930904_Greeknight.jpg.59e323aac34eb63ffae65668022c7b96.jpg

I think I must be Greek somewhere in my Danish and Scottish lineage!  That all looks yummy!!  I could enjoy Greek food everyday!!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

We were at lunch in the dining room with J&J, and Captain came on with another announcement, and said health and safety are their main concern.  Evidently the Cruise and Travel Director is now isolating along with some other staff and members of the entertainment people.  Perhaps he will tell us more at the Ask the Captain event at 2. 

OH MY!!!  I know they are keeping everyone safe...  and informed  but OH MY!!!

• Like 1

Yes, definitely, oh, my!  The Captain didn’t turn up for Ask the Captain, instead they started showing a movie, so we came away.  We are going to stay in our room for a while and hope to hear more.  

we had a nice lunch, finally got my calamari fritti, plus a lobster roll, and then Pat and I shared a cheesecake.  Sorry, I ate the calamari before I thought of taking a picture.

A313BA81-C2D4-437F-B597-8FD89B50676F.thumb.jpeg.afa3adc6b7d88a054043b21cff37d17d.jpeg

F69EAE8A-F513-4102-9E50-850C15C1A3F6.thumb.jpeg.1916896aef6a654525f21ec5bf736f17.jpeg

The sea is very strange, I don’t know if my picture will show it, but the wind is whipping the tops off the waves, with an unusual effect.

9D3506BA-09A9-4756-9504-9A10C16B3021.thumb.jpeg.78251f24a774b9b682dfd429ef90fd5c.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The officer of the watch came on about 15 minutes ago, and said we are experiencing 65 knot winds, no one should go out on deck, doors to the outside deck are being closed.  Then just now Captain Smit came on and said everyone should stay where they are and not move.  We are getting a lot of spray on our deck 7 verandah, and the ship is swaying from side to side.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

The officer of the watch came on about 15 minutes ago, and said we are experiencing 65 knot winds, no one should go out on deck, doors to the outside deck are being closed.  Then just now Captain Smit came on and said everyone should stay where they are and not move.  We are getting a lot of spray on our deck 7 verandah, and the ship is swaying from side to side.  

Hang on tight Ann! 👍

• Like 3

Captain just came on again and said we now have 70 knot winds.  He has spoken with the Messina pilot and the winds are lower there, around 10 knots, so we will speed up and try to get there sooner.

I definitely am hanging on tight, @0bnxshs,  things are beginning to slide around in the room…

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

The Captain has been making announcement regularly - I guess I’m happy he’s on the bridge concentrating on the ship, instead of at the Ask the Captain event,  he says we will be closer to land in about 30 minutes and the wind will diminish.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Captain just came on again and said we now have 70 knot winds.  He has spoken with the Messina pilot and the winds are lower there, around 10 knots, so we will speed up and try to get there sooner.

I definitely am hanging on tight, @0bnxshs,  things are beginning to slide around in the room…

i had to place the extra bottles of wine on the bed so they would not roll away .  The glasses in the cabinet fell over …………and the drawer under the bed came all the way out . 

a little motion of the ocean here near the straight of Messina .  Here on the aft cabin I can really see where the wind is coming from and how much we are leaning to the West . The stabilizers are not doing a lot with this kind of wind . 

have to see where DW is hanging in out or hanging on ……. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sailingdutchy said:

i had to place the extra bottles of wine on the bed so they would not roll away .  The glasses in the cabinet fell over …………and the drawer under the bed came all the way out . 

a little motion of the ocean here near the straight of Messina .  Here on the aft cabin I can really see where the wind is coming from and how much we are leaning to the West . The stabilizers are not doing a lot with this kind of wind . 

Stay safe Tony and hang on Martha, literally 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am lying on the bed and the ship is tilted so far to the port, I am sliding off!  

Captain just came on again and said we are getting closer to land, the wind is dropping, soon we will pick up the pilot.   He said things should improve, but “first see, then believe”, as the weather forecast was not bad earlier.  

Storms can come up suddenly in the Med.  but actually now, we are not tilted over quite so far, and I can see a bit of sunshine peeking through the clouds.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

That’s it, Tony, take care of the wine first, then go and find Martha, I think she said she was going up to the Lido for a cuppa.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Yikes 😱 

• Like 1