Live and Happy from Eurodam October 6 to 30

Vict0riann

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I hope we get home safely and then it will have been a success.  I have been afraid for so long, and was so tired of it.   It is the flying that is the risk, I think, once on the ship I feel safe, the protocols are so strict.  

Wishing you a safe flight home!

When do you fly out of Barcelona?

(I know you have two nights dinners still to enjoy, so do enjoy them!)

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 6

Thanks  @VMax1700, our flight is 11:45 on Saturday.  

We had a nice day in Cannes, walked about 7,000 steps, which is probably the most I have walked on this cruise…. I’ll be stiff tomorrow.  

We just had our PCR tests for return to Canada.  Not too much worse than the antigen test, but she tickled my nose so much I sneezed, she dropped the stick, hopefully she had already broken off the swab, I really couldn’t tell, as she turned her back as she bent down to pick up the stick.  She then took off her face shield and gloves, so I must have sneezed all over her!  I hope my test doesn’t show dust and they let me into Canada…

Still no Carlijn on the PA system, and evidently the FCC is “working from home”, that is, her isolation cabin.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Forgot a couple of pictures - the card we got to request a PCR test, and the pizzas we had for lunch, I got anchovies, olives and mushrooms, and Tony ordered a meat one.  We all shared, but we were hungry and I forgot pictures until we had already delved in.  Cesare makes good pizzas!

0FB5B0DC-AD1B-4FB5-8E8E-0A0F7672C892.thumb.jpeg.ee5c09c3156de4c47a7924dd7e26e911.jpeg

05AA9082-A17F-4F15-A011-91A117D6FD0A.thumb.jpeg.242a36f638bfb23284b91f5ebc18f775.jpeg

763BB43C-DE93-4620-8DD1-F57F3A442E8C.thumb.jpeg.c8bd6b6f3df10b517189a3d86e981c4c.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

We did not have the Have It All promo on this cruise.  It is nice, with pretty well unlimited drinks, but we do have 1/2 price specialty restaurants and wine packages, so that is nice.  I think the HIA does have some dinners included.  We expected the extra costs.  Tony bought onboard credits ahead of time, to take advantage of a good foreign exchange rate.

happy to hear Australia may be opening up a bit!

Have a safe flight home, @Vict0riann Thank you for taking along on your ride! We chose not to have the HIA on our now booked 2023 Voyage of the Vikings. I think we'll do better with the money in hand, since we don't drink a lot. 🙂 I don't think we'll be 4* yet, but it will definitely help us get there. LOL

• Like 3

We had a nice day in Cannes, walked about 7,000 steps, which is probably the most I have walked on this cruise…. I’ll be stiff tomorrow.  

We just had our PCR tests for return to Canada.  Not too much worse than the antigen test, but she tickled my nose so much I sneezed, she dropped the stick, hopefully she had already broken off the swab, I really couldn’t tell, as she turned her back as she bent down to pick up the stick.  She then took off her face shield and gloves, so I must have sneezed all over her!  I hope my test doesn’t show dust and they let me into Canada…

Still no Carlijn on the PA system, and evidently the FCC is “working from home”, that is, her isolation cabin.

I was talking to my manager this morning and she said the same thing about making her sneeze.

Are you sure you won't change your mind and do the TA ;)? Just think, much shorter flight although the FLL airport leave something to be desired.

• Like 4

Nice that the BCN airport is so close to pull that off.  We are going to have to wait a day as it’s too tight to get from Rotterdam to Amsterdam and now, I’m nervous about the time line for the PCR test to meet the 72 hour requirement.  Hopefully it will be ok with the flight going straight to Toronto.

Sounds lovely !

I am sure your test will be fine.  You’ve been very careful and wise.  Fingers crossed for you 🤞 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Are you sure you won't change your mind and do the TA ;)? Just think, much shorter flight although the FLL airport leave something to be desired.

Tony has been working on it, but evidently they are still not allowing Canadians to continue on.  I guess there is a risk that the rules will not change before the ship reaches Fort Lauderdale.  

I actually feel fairly safe flying home, as I know Lufthansa and Air Canada require all to be fully vaccinated or protected.  It is a long flight, though.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I noticed all the plaques on the wall going up the stairs near the Lido, so I went up to inspect.  I found this picture, I’m not sure if it is signed by all the Eurodam captains.

FD45D65A-E1BD-40B8-8C13-863273CCD6FB.thumb.jpeg.b23177cf71c97c387a88d8aeba807ddc.jpeg

and a lot of other plaques…

3B2BBADF-F57F-4C10-81B5-4A936F17725D.thumb.jpeg.2087f973d9f527a96bf238103c532124.jpeg

D77C51E0-AD16-4A9A-96C0-9BA7C71EF154.thumb.jpeg.1be67bb3fee5a6c3c89b3dc5bd656c8a.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Tony phoned Pat a little while ago to say that the FCC had called to advise him they could now book all the way to FLL.   Just a bit late….

yes too bad this is just a little too late getting a call at 9.22 this morning . 
 I have already made some appointments for after we arrive home on Sunday otherwise we would have been very happy to go across the Atlantic to Florida and have a much shorter flight . 

BTW the price I was quoted for the TA was not a special deal , which also was disappointing , I would have thought that they would have liked some Canadians on board ship . 

Tony😁

• Like 13

32 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

yes too bad this is just a little too late getting a call at 9.22 this morning . 
 I have already made some appointments for after we arrive home on Sunday otherwise we would have been very happy to go across the Atlantic to Florida and have a much shorter flight . 

BTW the price I was quoted for the TA was not a special deal , which also was disappointing , I would have thought that they would have liked some Canadians on board ship . 

Tony😁

We mentioned you news to our waiter at lunch, Syahrial, and he told a Dutch lady at another table, and now she is going to try to stay on board until FLL.😄  Hope it works for them . 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

VictOrian, Thank you for taking us all along with you on your voyage.  When you get back to Victoria, Ann, you will be able to join us again for our PE sailaways again.  Last weekend's sailaway of the NA was a long time coming for us.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Tony has been working on it, but evidently they are still not allowing Canadians to continue on.  I guess there is a risk that the rules will not change before the ship reaches Fort Lauderdale.  

I actually feel fairly safe flying home, as I know Lufthansa and Air Canada require all to be fully vaccinated or protected.  It is a long flight, though.

I guess you never know.  You are likely going the best route to avoid problems.  Thank you for the information.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

Wow, I’m surprised that so close to sailing there wasn’t some kind of deal offered.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Just got our PCR test results back - failed again!   They are dated today, so should be good for the time we need…

Glad to hear you failed 🙂 Oh, dated today?  That’s really good news 👍 

• Like 5

Not sure if someone has commented on the HAL face masks they provide. I'm just wondering if they're decent for breathability as next month I'm doing a Panama Canal and Caribbean cruises in the heat.

Thanks,

Scott

On 10/4/2021 at 5:52 PM, Vict0riann said:

Pat tried to get business class seats, but decided we will stick with premium economy.

I am really interesting in how you Premium Economy (PE) seats worked out for your long flight??

I am about to book a flight (DFW toAmsterdam 9.5 hours non-stop) on American Airline points - (Booking opens up in 2 days for our flight) and am planning on Premium Economy.

Flight leave at 3:30 pm CT and gets in about 8:30 AM Amsterdam time (about 1 AM in sleep time). 

DW is really interesting is hearing how the PE seats really are for a long flight. We know they do not lie flat - probably OK as we seldom sleep on flights in any case, and given the flight leaves at 3 PM - doubt we would be that tired in any case.

• Like 1

Thought I’d jump in about Premium Economy,  it does depend on the airline but if you get true PE it’s kind of like old school business class,  larger seats, a separate cabin, more leg room,  better food.  We love it.  We also love business class, but sometimes the cost or availability don’t work. 
We’ve flown it a lot with British Airways,  and West jet.  We’ve flown economy plus with Alaska and it was just a bit more legroom,  not the same at all.   Just check on the type of plane, on seat guru and you can  see the set up.  
The names seem to vary on some airlines,  and international flights 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Safe travels home, Victoriann.  Thank you so much for sharing your adventure with us.  Your experience is encouraging!  😊

Wishing you a comfortable flight home.    I know that Delta's PE is delightful.  Not sure about others.  Not like sailing home on a BHB, but still...

• Like 10

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Wow, I’m surprised that so close to sailing there wasn’t some kind of deal offered.  

I remember a time some years back when HAL was offering pax to stay on board for the next cruise (Alaska, Hawaii). The pricing was good, certainly lower than the going rate when we boarded.  Those days are gone!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, si4444 said:

Not sure if someone has commented on the HAL face masks they provide. I'm just wondering if they're decent for breathability as next month I'm doing a Panama Canal and Caribbean cruises in the heat.

Thanks,

Scott

We like them, actually, I put a double polypropylene filter in mine and Pat put a paper filter in his.  I like mine because I can wash it when I wash the mask.  However, I don’t know how nice it will be in the heat.  I recommend you bring a bunch of those blue “medical” masks, as they fit more loosely and you might prefer that.  We didn’t wear the HAL masks on shore - they kind of label you a cruiser….

• Like 7