Haven Tipping! Yes! A tipping thread! We’re back!

roger001

Exciting or what.  Ok. Stayed in suites our last 6 or so cruises.  Nice. Gonna give the Haven a try on the Bliss.   With exclusive area and same staff, I’m guessing, what’s the usual tipping protocol?  Yea, yea, I know.  All individual choice.  I’ve seen all the threads through the years.  But I want some fresh thoughts from you previous Haven folks.   Exciting or what to be back.  I might do Haven chair hogs next.  

Edited by roger001
  • Haha 4

• roger001 changed the title to Haven Tipping! Yes! A tipping thread! We’re back!

The "standard" often quoted is for the butler is $10-20/person per day and for the concierge $10/person per day.

We don't tip that much. We tip based on how much we use their services. We often tip our steward the most because they do the most for us. If we order food delivered to our cabin (rare) or make special snack requests, we will up or base tip for the butler. On some cruises we don't really use the concierge and they barely acknowledge our existence. In these cases, we don't tip much extra. We've had a few concierges that have gone out of their way for us (and have just been really awesome/friendly). They get more.

Our base tip for the week is between $50-$100. We adjust from there, but never tip less than $50.

In addition, we fill out Hero Cards for our butler, concierge, steward, and many others who wait on us/help us out during the week. I know these matter to the workers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am in favor of extra tipping.  That said if you do some basic numbers something doesn't add up.

Take the Encore as an example.  3998 at full capacity. $15.50 per day per passenger for a 7 day cruise is a total of $433,783 dollars.  Divide that by 1735 crew members and we get $250.01 a week per crew member.  This does not include their base pay or the gratuity charged for drink and dining packages.

Before flaming me off the board I concede that their are variables I didn't include such as the actual number of passengers on a ship and what group of crew are in the various tipping pools.  I was using very raw numbers.

I would really like to know how the cruise lines handle the tip money.

Edited by WorkNCruise
Edited for spelling and clarity.
  • Like 1

Honestly, the person I tipped the most was the person that made my best day… ended up being my bartender. Now mind you, I wish I had tipped my concierge more. He did his job very well, better than I tipped him hindsight. I know better this coming trip. Someone who doesn’t work in Haven could treat you better than the people who are in Haven, though I will say that would be surprising. People who work in Haven, work in Haven for a reason. Though from what I have read there are still fall outs. So figure out who made the best of your vacation and tip them what you think you should. That will change for people basing what they tip on their local. But remember you are essentially tipping at a first class service. Imagine fine dining at a 5 star place. And to each their own. 🙂 There is a balance that is found in the end. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WorkNCruise said:

I am in favor of extra tipping.  That said if you do some basic numbers something doesn't add up.

Take the Encore as an example.  3998 at full capacity. $15.50 per day per passenger for a 7 day cruise is a total of $433,783 dollars.  Divide that by 1735 crew members and we get $250.01 a week per crew member.  This does not include their base pay or the gratuity charged for drink and dining packages.

Before flaming me off the board I concede that their are variables I didn't include such as the actual number of passengers on a ship and what group of crew are in the various tipping pools.  I was using very raw numbers.

Of the three majors, NCL has the highest average earnings per employee. I’m sure that’s because the DSC comes through the company, and is spread through the crew. I would assume the NCL average of $20,000 per year includes the ~$12,000 per year from the DSC, meaning the DSC is higher than the actual base pay from the company in their funny math. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/cruise-ship-workers-reveal-how-much-money-they-make-2019-5

1 hour ago, WorkNCruise said:

A large part of the money goes to crew enrichment activities (not cash money). 

And, like the waiters at the diner down your street, part of the crew's pay comes from tips. For example, in our town, the minimum wage is $15/hr. If you work as a waiter, your employer only has to pay you $5/hr. The first $10/hr in tips you earn brings you up to minimum wage (which isn't much). The crew is the same. They have a guaranteed contract value. They have to earn part of that in tips to bring them up to their contract value. If they don't earn tips, then the cruise line pluses them up to their contract value. Only when they exceed their contract value is the tip really extra money that they can keep in their pocket. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, FlGoodShips said:

Sorry, didn't finish my sentence...

Most of the crew work for their families so they can have better lives. They, the crew, are heroes for their families. 

Be generous. 

I always tip above and beyond.  I'm a personal finance guy so my questions are solely centered on the equations out of personal interest not the ethics of tipping.  Bird explained pretty good.

Thanks

• Like 3

mentioned this before. we usually try to stay in a haven suite. at breakfast we tip the server $5.00, same at lunch.  at mdr, or specialty restaurants $10.

cabin steward $20 when we sail, $20 mid cruise and $20 at the end.  Butler $100, concierge $50

bartenders, $2.00 per order.

also $20 to the porter that takes our luggage at dock.

i sometimes tip more, if the service is extra good, but never, never less than the above amounts

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

mentioned this before. we usually try to stay in a haven suite. at breakfast we tip the server $5.00, same at lunch.  at mdr, or specialty restaurants $10.

cabin steward $20 when we sail, $20 mid cruise and $20 at the end.  Butler $100, concierge $50

bartenders, $2.00 per order.

also $20 to the porter that takes our luggage at dock.

i sometimes tip more, if the service is extra good, but never, never less than the above amounts

So, in excess of $400 per week plus DSC.  Bloody hell, some weeks I don't earn that in a week myself

• Like 4

13 hours ago, roger001 said:

Exciting or what.  Ok. Stayed in suites our last 6 or so cruises.  Nice. Gonna give the Haven a try on the Bliss.   With exclusive area and same staff, I’m guessing, what’s the usual tipping protocol?  Yea, yea, I know.  All individual choice.  I’ve seen all the threads through the years.  But I want some fresh thoughts from you previous Haven folks.   Exciting or what to be back.  I might do Haven chair hogs next.  

If you have stayed in suites previously you probably know how you are going to tip. 

Tipping is very much an individual choice. 

Haven or non haven, if someone provides outstanding service, they will get a tip from me. 

In previous cruises I had money set aside for tipping for the concierge, butler and room steward. Suffice to say on one cruise, my room steward received his share and the butler's. Why? We are pretty low maintenance. Snacks and a couple of requests. Nothing else. Butler didn't really do much. In fact never really saw him till the third day and the day we left. He did his job and gets paid for it. He wasn't getting any more from me though. 

As for haven chair hogs, never an issue. Plenty of chairs, loungers

Edited by Yinster

14 hours ago, roger001 said:

We love the Haven and we really use the staff services. Butler and Cabin Steward each get $100 on day one when introduced, the service we get is above and beyond, (daily coffee and tea on the balcony, special hors d' oeuvres in the cabin, extra towels, laundry services etc) then another $100 on the last night, Bartenders get $1 per drink (this adds up quickly 🙂) and $50 on the last night, Concierge usually gets $50 and depending on service in the Haven restaurant, we take care of these folks too at every meal and some with $50 on the last night. Very important Hero Cards are filled out for everyone who made our cruise special. These folks work VERY HARD for not so much money. We like to show our appreciation.

• Thanks 1

The Bird stays in the Haven/Suites about half the time (this year, 2 suites, 1 club balcony). Regardless of cabin class, we would tip a room steward $5-$10/per person/per day. If there is are waiters or assistant waiters who we see frequently, around $50+ at the end of the cruise. 

When asked, we tip a butler $15-$20/per person/per day. Concierge $10-$15/per person/per day. 

We will tip bar waiters and bar tenders $1 per drink. By the second or third day, our drinks are being prepared by the time we get to the bar (Birds are creatures of habit, so that works just fine)

We always do Hero cards which help the crew members in their evaluations and progression in the cruise line. We take the time to do a good recommendation (not just a "good job" card). 

Edited by BirdTravels

13 hours ago, WorkNCruise said:

I'm not sure if this is true of NCL, but I have read that at least some lines send the pre-paid gratuities to corporate and then corporate pro-rates the tips across the entire fleet.

Just curious, why do people tip on the basis of per person?  If I am dining at a restaurant and we have four seated at the table, the 20% tip covers the entire table.  Each diner doesn't contribute a tip to the wait person.

What is the rationale for being different on a cruise ship?

• Like 1

acruzaholic, no it's not per person,

and it's just in response to a prior question. extra tipping is not required on a cruise, and whether or not you tip, and/or how much, is completely up to you. if you read through other posts, some people tip much more. i know others will disagree, but it's my feeling that if i'm spending$1000's of dollars for a nice cruise, why not give the people that are servicing me a little extra

and to my friend spainalien, i'm not trying to be a smart a** or insult you, but unless youre being facetious,  if truly some weeks you dont make $400, i would look for another job. that's about $20,000 per year, and at that rate, i couldnt even consider taking a cruise

• Haha 1