Haven Tipping! Yes! A tipping thread! We’re back!

roger001

6 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

It's talked about in the NCL FAQ's.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#what-about-gratuities

Just so that the doubters don’t have to look for it:

>>>Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge.<<<

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psac said:

Just so that the doubters don’t have to look for it:

>>>Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge.<<<

Please don't include me with the doubters, I only asked because I wanted to know how to find that Information out.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, complawyer said:

acruzaholic, no it's not per person,

and it's just in response to a prior question. extra tipping is not required on a cruise, and whether or not you tip, and/or how much, is completely up to you. if you read through other posts, some people tip much more. i know others will disagree, but it's my feeling that if i'm spending$1000's of dollars for a nice cruise, why not give the people that are servicing me a little extra

and to my friend spainalien, i'm not trying to be a smart a** or insult you, but unless youre being facetious,  if truly some weeks you dont make $400, i would look for another job. that's about $20,000 per year, and at that rate, i couldnt even consider taking a cruise

Thanks for your career advice but living in Spain 20,000 per year would be classed as very well paid 

• Like 1

spainalien: in that case i'm moving to barcelona. loved that city when we where there. i sincerely hope you were not insulted by my previous response. that certainly wasnt my intent,, but $20,000 in the u.s. puts you at or near the poverty level 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 8:35 AM, Daniel A said:

Just curious, why do people tip on the basis of per person?  If I am dining at a restaurant and we have four seated at the table, the 20% tip covers the entire table.  Each diner doesn't contribute a tip to the wait person.

What is the rationale for being different on a cruise ship?

Most things on a cruise ship are not individually priced.  You have no idea of how to calculate 20%.  For example, how would you calculate 20% on a meal in the main dining room?  

The per person rate really refers to crew like room stewards or dining room waiters and is a way of compensating the steward for the work performed as a function of the number of people serviced.

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Most things on a cruise ship are not individually priced.  You have no idea of how to calculate 20%.  For example, how would you calculate 20% on a meal in the main dining room?  

The per person rate really refers to crew like room stewards or dining room waiters and is a way of compensating the steward for the work performed as a function of the number of people serviced.

Thank you for the explanation.  It does give some rationale for the per person tips.  Maybe my example was not a great one.  Let's try this instead:  If you are checking out of a hotel room do you leave twice as much of a tip for the housekeeper if there were two of you in the room compared to what tip you would leave if you were in the hotel room alone?

Room stewards and dining staff are included in the DSC so tipping them is up to you.  In the Haven, which this thread started out to be about, the butler and concierge are not included in the DSC so you should tip them.  How much is up to you and how much you really use them.  I would think a minimum should be $100 to the butler for a 7 day cruise and $50 to the concierge.  My opinion of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oakman58 said:

Room stewards and dining staff are included in the DSC so tipping them is up to you.  In the Haven, which this thread started out to be about, the butler and concierge are not included in the DSC so you should tip them.  How much is up to you and how much you really use them.  I would think a minimum should be $100 to the butler for a 7 day cruise and $50 to the concierge.  My opinion of course.

Do we know for sure that the butlers and concierge don't have a salary based on them not getting tips? I don't know.

If they need the tips to get a decent salary they should be included in the DSC, I think.

• Like 1

I’m a travel agent and I got the best tip from my Norwegian rep last week. Due to COVID the crew can’t leave the ship at all. He recently sailed on the Encore and he said that before they sailed he went to an Asian grocery store and got a bunch of Filipino coffee, chocolates and snacks. He gave them to the staff as gifts, and in his words “you would have thought we gave them a gold bar”. I thought that was so sweet and considerate. I plan on doing this in addition to tipping when we sail on the Dawn in Feb. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A tip should be subjective, not some formula presented by the cruise line.

How much service/satisfaction did that individual provide you on your cruise?? That’s how many on these boards characterize their tipping, be it $20, $50,$100 or $200 per crew member.

Many times certain positions provide little or no service (the concierge comes to mind). Why would I tip them based on a formula??
Now bartenders and drink servers, they’re my favorites and get generous tips!! 😁🥃

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Thank you for the explanation.  It does give some rationale for the per person tips.  Maybe my example was not a great one.  Let's try this instead:  If you are checking out of a hotel room do you leave twice as much of a tip for the housekeeper if there were two of you in the room compared to what tip you would leave if you were in the hotel room alone?

Perhaps but I very rarely live a tip for the housekeeper.

51 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

A tip should be subjective, not some formula presented by the cruise line.

How much service/satisfaction did that individual provide you on your cruise?? That’s how many on these boards characterize their tipping, be it $20, $50,$100 or $200 per crew member.

Many times certain positions provide little or no service (the concierge comes to mind). Why would I tip them based on a formula??
Now bartenders and drink servers, they’re my favorites and get generous tips!! 😁🥃

The formula would be how much you use their services.

I live in a tourist town that was completely devastated economically by Covid-19.   My wife worked in Corporate Events for 25 years pre-Covid.   My career (though I have a fun side job for a hobby) is in Entertainment Technology.   Thankfully, we came through the pandemic much better than most in our industry or many others.   I have a slight idea of what not being able to work in your career for 18 months feels like. 

For those reasons,  I will be passing out tips on my next cruise like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddy Shack!  You gave me a towel?  Here's $20 to send home to your family.  You poured a refill without me asking?   Here's an extra $5 for your kids.

After the way the world has been recently,  I feel blessed to be healthy,  have a job,  afford my bills, have the opportunity to do something as frivolous as cruise in the Haven.  I want to share a little piece of those blessings with people who work hard with a smile on their face.   So forget the "guidelines".  Tip what you can comfortably afford and brings a bit of magic to someone else.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

I live in a tourist town that was completely devastated economically by Covid-19.   My wife worked in Corporate Events for 25 years pre-Covid.   My career (though I have a fun side job for a hobby) is in Entertainment Technology.   Thankfully, we came through the pandemic much better than most in our industry or many others.   I have a slight idea of what not being able to work in your career for 18 months feels like. 

For those reasons,  I will be passing out tips on my next cruise like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddy Shack!  You gave me a towel?  Here's $20 to send home to your family.  You poured a refill without me asking?   Here's an extra $5 for your kids.

After the way the world has been recently,  I feel blessed to be healthy,  have a job,  afford my bills, have the opportunity to do something as frivolous as cruise in the Haven.  I want to share a little piece of those blessings with people who work hard with a smile on their face.   So forget the "guidelines".  Tip what you can comfortably afford and brings a bit of magic to someone else.

God bless you for writing this.  As I think about what you wrote, I realize that while I was saving money by not being able to book a cruise for the last year and a half, there were many people who take care of us who were not only not saving but were sinking into poverty.  I intend to bring a lot of greenbacks with me on my next cruise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, complawyer said:

spainalien: in that case i'm moving to barcelona. loved that city when we where there. i sincerely hope you were not insulted by my previous response. that certainly wasnt my intent,, but $20,000 in the u.s. puts you at or near the poverty level 

Where I live the majority of people who have contracts earn approximately 12,000€ per year.  Most waiters are not on contracts and receive on 30€ per shift plus tips, tips are then sometimes taken by the bar owners, tips are typically 1-2€ per table.  

In the village I live, a 3 bedroom townhouse has just gone up for sale for 85,000€ but they will probably accept less, it is fully refurbished and good to go.

As you can see the cost of living is significantly less over here 

Tipping is based on the individual service one receives. On one cruise we had the worst cabin steward. The worst we have ever had in all our years of cruising. His attitude was just horrible. He never introduced himself. Never greeted us. He always had a frown on his face. Reported that soft drinks and other items were removed from the refrigerator and they we were charged for them at the end of the cruise and hell no we did not pay. My husband is a very generous tipper but that was one time I put my foot down and said no way. This is opinion. Please respect it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpainAlien said:

Where I live the majority of people who have contracts earn approximately 12,000€ per year.  Most waiters are not on contracts and receive on 30€ per shift plus tips, tips are then sometimes taken by the bar owners, tips are typically 1-2€ per table.  

In the village I live, a 3 bedroom townhouse has just gone up for sale for 85,000€ but they will probably accept less, it is fully refurbished and good to go.

As you can see the cost of living is significantly less over here 

I think many Americans would be shocked at the comparative affordability of European real estate. Granted, Europeans don't tend to build 5000 sq ft McMansions, but to give you an example, my wife and I saw several listings in a small town in Italy last month in the historic city center that were under 200,000€. A couple of bedrooms, baths, terrace, living area and kitchen. Plenty of space by European standards. $224,000 (Dollar equivalent to 200,000 Euros) in DC wouldn't even get you 600 sq ft aka 55 m2. I've seen new condos for sale in Alicante or the Algarve that were 150,000€ and less. Extremely affordable by US standards.  

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 1

Just off Breakaway. 

Butler:   A butler (not ours) met us in terminal and walked us up to Haven area (5 minutes)

Our butler introduced himself and told us if we need anything to call him.    (less than a minute)

Brought treat every afternoon and picked up the one the day before.  (10 minutes ea day maybe - this is being generous since Im sure he delivers all at same time)

Left extra coffee pods on day 2.  (1 minute)

so at most 75 minutes....received $100 tip (these services had been paid for in cruise fare so this is just a bonus for good service.  Based on 20% these services should have been worth $500  

Concierge:  met us in Haven and gave a short speech on Haven area. (5 min)

Made 2 comedy shows and 1 theater show reservation (since we could not ahead of time) (10 min at most)

Walked us off ship at port after ship cleared. (10 min)

Walked us off ship at debarkation.  (10 min)

total:  35 minutes $50 - again these services were already paid for this is just an extra bonus for good services. 20% the services would total $250.  

I have no idea what an appropriate tip should have been. We did 100 for butler and 50 for concierge but based on actual minutes it is a good salary.   Also we had no idea if we needed to tip haven restaurant greeter and maitre d.  We did tip bar servers and tenders and also all of our restaurant waiters/waitresses.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

I really like what you wrote. Thanks!

I feel blessed too and will tip more than I usually do on our next cruise.

Me and my wife have rather "safe" job so we have not been worried at all and we have been able to save more than we normally do since the pandemi started. The stock market has also been very good since March last year so my investments are worth much more now than when the pandemi started.

As I said, I'm bleesed and will tip more because I can do it. 

• Like 3

On 10/2/2021 at 12:31 AM, complawyer said:

mentioned this before. we usually try to stay in a haven suite. at breakfast we tip the server $5.00, same at lunch.  at mdr, or specialty restaurants $10.

cabin steward $20 when we sail, $20 mid cruise and $20 at the end.  Butler $100, concierge $50

bartenders, $2.00 per order.

also $20 to the porter that takes our luggage at dock.

i sometimes tip more, if the service is extra good, but never, never less than the above amounts

We mainly follow this... but I give the butler less than the concierge. I use the concierge several times per day. I probably use the butler one or twice per trip.

I also give something to the maitre'd at the restaurant... but I'm a picky eater.

We like to tip at time of service for everything.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 5:53 PM, roger001 said:

Exciting or what.  Ok. Stayed in suites our last 6 or so cruises.  Nice. Gonna give the Haven a try on the Bliss.   With exclusive area and same staff, I’m guessing, what’s the usual tipping protocol?  Yea, yea, I know.  All individual choice.  I’ve seen all the threads through the years.  But I want some fresh thoughts from you previous Haven folks.   Exciting or what to be back.  I might do Haven chair hogs next.  

1 million dollars...

Honestly it would be how the service was. Tip appropriately how you would anywhere else in life.

On 10/1/2021 at 5:53 PM, roger001 said:

Exciting or what.  Ok. Stayed in suites our last 6 or so cruises.  Nice. Gonna give the Haven a try on the Bliss.   With exclusive area and same staff, I’m guessing, what’s the usual tipping protocol?  Yea, yea, I know.  All individual choice.  I’ve seen all the threads through the years.  But I want some fresh thoughts from you previous Haven folks.   Exciting or what to be back.  I might do Haven chair hogs next.  

Tipping protocol is the same as everywhere else.  Tip whoever you want, whenever you want. how much you want to tip and move on.   What others choose to do is not relevant.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Tipping protocol is the same as everywhere else.  Tip whoever you want, whenever you want. how much you want to tip and move on.   What others choose to do is not relevant.

I have found that giving a tip in advance on a cruise ship gets me better services than giving the tip at the end of the cruise.  YMMV

• Like 2