Haven Tipping! Yes! A tipping thread! We’re back!

roger001

5 hours ago, Trimone said:

Cool people don’t like being flashy 

They are not loud 

They don’t boast or talk about Money 

Actually,  cool people don't care what someone else thinks.   Nor have they used the term cool about themselves since the 70s.

Clearly your comment was directed at me.  If you truly read my post and think I'm going to be flashy and make tipping about me because I made a joke about a movie then there's obviously something else going on with you.   I'm not going to make this personal and argue with you.   Feel free to think what you want and judge me as you see fit.   It's not going to change the fact that I plan to over tip people who lost their careers for 18 months through no fault of their own.   If that makes me not cool, I'm okay.   I live in Florida,  I can take some heat.

I wish you the happiest of cruises. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yesimapirate said:

Actually,  cool people don't care what someone else thinks.   Nor have they used the term cool about themselves since the 70s.

Clearly your comment was directed at me.  If you truly read my post and think I'm going to be flashy and make tipping about me because I made a joke about a movie then there's obviously something else going on with you.   I'm not going to make this personal and argue with you.   Feel free to think what you want and judge me as you see fit.   It's not going to change the fact that I plan to over tip people who lost their careers for 18 months through no fault of their own.   If that makes me not cool, I'm okay.   I live in Florida,  I can take some heat.

I wish you the happiest of cruises. 

Dear God, I have no idea who you are, what you have commented about, you are so conceited believing every comment is about you...

Actually,  cool people don't care what someone else thinks? Exactly we do thinks quietly, without fuss and attention... 

4 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Tipping protocol is the same as everywhere else.  Tip whoever you want, whenever you want. how much you want to tip and move on.   What others choose to do is not relevant.

I agree with you. But I have no idea what the "tipping protocol" is for tipping butlers and concierges  because I never use one when I'm not on a cruise.

4 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Tipping protocol is the same as everywhere else.  Tip whoever you want, whenever you want. how much you want to tip and move on.   What others choose to do is not relevant.

I agree with you. But I have no idea what the "tipping protocol" is for tipping butlers and concierges  because I never use one when I'm not on a cruise.

7 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

There is generally an accepted agreement that 20% is the minimum for land based restaurants....so I can understand someone who has NOT cruised with butlers and concierges wanting to know what others usually tip......this is always such a contentious subject.....which is sad as why can't we all just tell the OP what we usually tip and NOT feel the need to comment on each others idea of what they choose to tip?  Think about it.....if each person merely responded "I tip x amount to my butler, x amount to my cabin steward....x amount to the concierge".....and it was left at that?  Just a thought....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

There is generally an accepted agreement that 20% is the minimum for land based restaurants....

I disagree, a friend's father was a professor at a world wide known culinary school and once told me the usual is 15% pre tax for a wait person who takes your order, delivers it and clears the table when you are done.  He said 20% should be reserved for a wait person who performs an extra service such as preparing a dish at table side.  He suggested that people who generally tip 20% may just be lazy as it is easier to figure out 10% and just double that number rather than figuring out 15%.  So, I certainly do not think 20% is the minimum it's nice to do it if you can, but it is generally accepted that 15% is the usual minimum as the experts will usually quote a range of 15 to 20 percent of the pre tax bill.

Tipping Etiquette 101: A Comprehensive Guide on Tipping — Emily Post

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

This is such an awkward thread for multiple reasons.  A lot of fractured thoughts and comments throughout.  The original thread was about tipping in the haven,  and we honestly have no idea what the salary arrangement is of those working as a butler or what not in the haven.  

Unless someone has something more concrete,  I guess I'll tip them on an usage basis.  Those on this thread who are like,  oh,  i'll tip like $20 bucks everytime someone randomly gives me a towel,  or something to that effect,  great and good for you if you actually do that and are not flexing -- but speaking as a non-one percenter,  that's just a bit extreme for me,  personally speaking.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Texas_Holdem said:

This is such an awkward thread for multiple reasons.  A lot of fractured thoughts and comments throughout.  The original thread was about tipping in the haven,  and we honestly have no idea what the salary arrangement is of those working as a butler or what not in the haven.  

Unless someone has something more concrete,  I guess I'll tip them on an usage basis.  Those on this thread who are like,  oh,  i'll tip like $20 bucks everytime someone randomly gives me a towel,  or something to that effect,  great and good for you if you actually do that and are not flexing -- but speaking as a non-one percenter,  that's just a bit extreme for me,  personally speaking.

To be fair, it is published in black and white that the butler and concierge are not part of the regular DSC pool and to tip accordingly.

• Like 2

for what it's worth (and we've been through this many times)we usually tip the butler between $100-$150 at the end of the cruise. the concierge $50-$100, depending on how much he has done for us.

whether it's factored in or not, i give the cabin steward $20 at the start of the cruise, $20 after a few days, and another $20 at the end.  if he's been exceptionally diligent, i'll up it to $100 total.

on our last cruise on the star this past sept, the asst maitre'd for maderno and cagney's was particularly helpful, so we gave him $75.

while obviously under no obligation to do so, we usually leave $5-10 as a tip to the waiter/waitress who serves us, and a few $ per drink to the bar-tenders.

you can tip or not tip as you see fit. i find that the staff is much more appreciative when they receive a little extra.

and daniel A, sorry, it aint that hard to figure 15%. if you can multiply by 2, you can certainly divide by half, unless you're hopelessly mathematically challenged. 

finally, one of my very close friends used to me a waitress many years ago (we are now both retired lawyers), and in her honor i always leave 20%

please note, im not trying to indicate we throw our money around, but these people dont make a lot, and even if the daily gratuities are dispersed to the entire staff, it doesnt give them a great deal of cash at payday.

• Like 4

On 10/5/2021 at 2:20 PM, sverigecruiser said:

LIttle late to this post, but this is a really good point.  There are NO protocols for tipping the Butler or Concierges.  If you use the 15%-20% rule of thumb that we use in the North American Restaurants, that would be an expensive proposition.  If the fare was $5K in the Haven, that means you would tip $1,000 to the Concierge and Butler….EACH!

That doesn’t include what you would tip the waitstaff and bar staff.

Quite unreasonable.

Tip what their services are worth to you.  $10, $50, $100, $1,000…doesn’t matter.  If you feel you receive the service that warrants your tip, all should be good!

• Like 4

Wheeeeeeeeeee! I love tipping posts! I'm glad I could slide my way into this one.

First, I so appreciate those of you who have shares the general amounts you tip. As many have pointed out, there is no hard and fast rule, no "official" recommendation, no nothing when it comes to tipping. So, how to tip? By crowd sourcing information and then making an informed decision. In that vein, I'll add my data to this post so y'all can see what someone else tips. Use the information however you'd like, even if you call me a cheapskate! 

Here's who I do not tip (there are exceptions): bartenders, servers, entertainers, the captain of the ship

Here's who I always tip: The butler and concierge

Here's who I sometimes tip: servers and bartenders

Why do I not tip, but then say I do tip bartenders and servers? There is one bartender on the Getaway (not sure he's still on) named July. He is not a Haven employee, but no matter, he makes my cruises better. He's at the outdoor Sugarcane and he makes me feel like a close friend. He always creates lovely, unique drinks for me (and others). He makes my day, so he gets a $20 at the end of the cruise. 

I do tip some of the Haven servers. On each cruise I've been on, there are generally three or four servers we get to know well. They come say hi to us and talk about their day, even when they're not our server. They'll be sure everything is perfect at our table. They get $25 each at the end of the cruise.

The Haven Restaurant host gets a tip for welcoming us to the restaurant, ensuring we get a table closest to the windows, and checks on us throughout the evening. We're not sure why, but they do. Maybe we look like we need lots of help. The Haven Restaurant host gets $50. 

Our butler receives between $50 and $100, depending on how needy we are. On our first cruise, we rarely used the butler, so he got $50. In September, he took dessert to our room and a couple of meals. He also came personally to check on us a couple of times, so he got $100.

The assistant concierge and concierge get $100 each. I never thought we'd use the concierge, but we do. We have interesting paperwork, my husband has a green card, so the assistant concierge has to go make calls to get my husband onboard. Then, when we're onboard we check our account and ask the concierge questions about the account, shore excursions, etc., plus utilize the priority show seating, and priority tenders. 

That's it. So, we do give out some additional tips on top of the DSC, but we don't give exorbitant tips either. I've heard others claim they give $100 per day to their butler and to the concierge. We don't do that. If someone wants to, well that is amazing and kudos to them! 

As always, my post was far more rambling than I thought, so here's a quick breakdown:

3 - 4 Haven servers: $25, each

1 non-Haven bartender: $20

Room steward: $25 - $50, depending on how messy we are that week

Haven Restaurant host: $50

Butler: $50 - $100, depending on how often we use him

Asst. Concierge and Concierge: $100, each

Now, take this information and do whatever you'd like with it.:-) 

Edited by cruiseny4life
forgot the room steward!
  • Like 6

Sailed last week ...

We gave our butler $60 in our letter at the beginning of the cruise and then $240 at the end of the cruise for a total of $300 (there were 2 of us, and our butler was very good).

We tipped our steward $100 - and I know he is in the DSC pool, but he gave great service and did the requested towel animals every night.

We tipped servers $1 each time they brought drinks - whether it was 1 drink or 2 - $1 per trip.

We tipped our concierge $100 - he was wonderful and did a lot for us, I wonder if we should have given him more ...

On our March sailing we tipped the Haven restaurant maître d' though I don't remember how much ... $60 or $80, I think.  She was visible, she was helpful and she checked on us at every meal.  This time,  we saw her (different maître d') occasionally and heard her yelling in the kitchen more than once ... like really yelling mad at the staff < that's not why we didn't tip, she just didn't really "do" anything for us, the service was somewhat disjointed, and we didn't eat there all that much.

Like others have said - do what you want, don't criticize others for how they tip, it's personal and everyone has different thoughts on how and who and what to tip for.

• Like 1

On 10/2 we sailed the Encore Seattle to Alaska , in the Haven penthouse , there were 2 of us. 

Not sure of the tipping protocol ....we just winged it. 

Our tipping breakdown;

Haven drink servers: $2, each trip when we were not at the bar. $20 total

Room steward: $140

Haven Restaurant hosts (2) : $40 each

Butler: $200

Haven Bartenders; $20 x 5 times each night 

Specialty Dining ;  $20 x 2 times 

Haven dining $20 x 3 times

On 10/6/2021 at 9:16 AM, Daniel A said:

I disagree, a friend's father was a professor at a world wide known culinary school and once told me the usual is 15% pre tax for a wait person who takes your order, delivers it and clears the table when you are done.  He said 20% should be reserved for a wait person who performs an extra service such as preparing a dish at table side.  He suggested that people who generally tip 20% may just be lazy as it is easier to figure out 10% and just double that number rather than figuring out 15%.  So, I certainly do not think 20% is the minimum it's nice to do it if you can, but it is generally accepted that 15% is the usual minimum as the experts will usually quote a range of 15 to 20 percent of the pre tax bill.

Tipping Etiquette 101: A Comprehensive Guide on Tipping — Emily Post

Nowhere is 15% considered adequate. Minimum of 18%-20% is today’s standard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Nowhere is 15% considered adequate. Minimum of 18%-20% is today’s standard. 

I agree.

I'm not even sure why someone would base their tipping upon what their friend's father whose a professor at a culinary school thinks is appropriate.  That's a bit narrow. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruiseinfoseeker said:

I agree.

I'm not even sure why someone would base their tipping upon what their friend's father whose a professor at a culinary school thinks is appropriate.  That's a bit narrow. 

I guess you got me...  I now realize I shouldn't listen to the advice of a respected professional in the culinary field and rather I should base my financial decisions on the 'standard' an anonymous person named BirdTravels put on the internet instead.

As an aside, I never wrote that is how I base my tipping.  There is no minimum or fixed percentage in my decision making when tipping.  I decide on the amount of my tip based on the quality of the service I receive, not on some arbitrary "minimum" standard.  If I get crappy, sub-par service, it is reflected in the tip I leave (if any at all), superior service earns a superior tip.  Very simple equation.  Service staff at restaurants I frequent, seem to be pleased to see me when I enter so I must be doing something right.  🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, k2c2w said:

On 10/2 we sailed the Encore Seattle to Alaska , in the Haven penthouse , there were 2 of us. 

Not sure of the tipping protocol ....we just winged it. 

Our tipping breakdown;

Haven drink servers: $2, each trip when we were not at the bar. $20 total

Room steward: $140

Haven Restaurant hosts (2) : $40 each

Butler: $200

Haven Bartenders; $20 x 5 times each night 

Specialty Dining ;  $20 x 2 times 

Haven dining $20 x 3 times

Forgot about the specialty dining.  We did $30 as a base, and really good food + service (Los Lobos) we did $60 (that's really high for us, I don't know what the hell we were thinking - lol).

Question:  Haven dining - so, this was just at the table after the meal?  There's no bill, so did you just leave cash on the table and are you meaning for your server?

1 hour ago, mearsfansinboise said:

Forgot about the specialty dining.  We did $30 as a base, and really good food + service (Los Lobos) we did $60 (that's really high for us, I don't know what the hell we were thinking - lol).

Question:  Haven dining - so, this was just at the table after the meal?  There's no bill, so did you just leave cash on the table and are you meaning for your server?

Gave it directly to server at end of meal just before leaving.

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2021 at 6:07 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

$100 per person per day.

I find it interesting how some people constantly stress out on how much to tip, How about tipping according to the service? or your budget? you get great service and have the budget knock yourselves out, you don't have great service and you have the budget then make the decision on what you think the service was worth, or if you have great service but don't have the budget then tip according to your wallet, is all very simple really, very simple indeed :-)...IMO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

I find it interesting how some people constantly stress out on how much to tip, How about tipping according to the service? or your budget? you get great service and have the budget knock yourselves out, you don't have great service and you have the budget then make the decision on what you think the service was worth, or if you have great service but don't have the budget then tip according to your wallet, is all very simple really, very simple indeed :-)...IMO

Thank you, that's exactly what I was saying earlier.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mearsfansinboise said:

Sailed last week ...

We gave our butler $60 in our letter at the beginning of the cruise and then $240 at the end of the cruise for a total of $300 (there were 2 of us, and our butler was very good).

We tipped our steward $100 - and I know he is in the DSC pool, but he gave great service and did the requested towel animals every night.

We tipped servers $1 each time they brought drinks - whether it was 1 drink or 2 - $1 per trip.

We tipped our concierge $100 . . .

This was similar to what we did last month.  To our butler, $80 was enclosed in the letter we gave him, and I gave him another $100 at cruise's end.  (I intended it to be half and half, but he did such a remarkable job that I kicked in a little extra at the end.

Our steward got $40 (he is in the general tip pool, after all), and to the Haven concierge, $100.

I was a little befuddled on how to handle the waiters in the Haven Lounge/Horizon Observation Lounge.  Handing over a buck or two with every service just seemed a bit tacky.  But that quandry worked itself out.  No matter which lounge the Good Mrs. Benson and I occupied and no matter what time of day or night, it was always one of the two same waiters who looked after us.  So I gave them both $40 on the last night of the cruise.

I don't understand the antipathy these tipping threads inspire.  As you, and others, point out, it's a personal decision---there's no intrinsic right or wrong.  Tip.  Don't tip.  Confer whatever amount fits your ethics and your budget.  The folks who enquire about tipping on board aren't so much looking for a hard and fast rule as they want to know what others do.  That input helps them make their own determinations.  Most people aren't averse to tipping (although if one is, again, a personal choice without stigma); they just want to avoid being either too generous or too stingy.

Edited by CDR Benson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

I know that my post is old but it was written tongue in cheek. Several threads had been popping up about tipping and I was constantly asking people to ignore what others tip (or claim to tip) and just tip whatever amount that they want to tip. Posting tips of $100 per person per day, $500 per person per day, etc. should be ignored just like every other amount posted should be ignored. I had posted that $100 amount several times to make the point that tipping based on the amount that random forum members claim was silly. 

Nobody should tip based on "...well, most of the CC members tip this much so I should tip the same...". People who tip less shouldn't feel ashamed. People who tip more shouldn't feel ashamed, either. It seems that most people who start a thread and ask "...how much...?" probably already have an idea on an amount and are simply looking for affirmation that their amount is inline with what others tip. (That's just my theory.) 😉

Now, about my chair-hog theory and how it relates to René Girard (mimetic desire.......). 😎

• Thanks 2

Something to consider is that the crew members themselves realise that the passenger manifest isn't composed entirely of Thurston Howells and John Beresford Tiptons.  They know that many of the guests have had to save up just to be able to afford the cruise.  So, while they gratefully accept tips, they understand that every guest cannot afford to give as much as some do, or may not desire to tip at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2