Just Back from a 4 nighter on Mariner of the Seas-A few observations.

Just returned from a Monday night through Friday morn. cruise to Coco Cay, Nassau and a sea day.

The Windjammer was closed for dinner every night.

I was told by the crew that there were only 1,167 guests on board.

The ship was like a ghost ship. Odd to see the promenade empty at 9:00pm.

Minimal entertainment options in the evening.

The crew were wonderful. Hard working and pleasant (even though they were masked).

The cabins were spotless, and cleaning was constant throughout the ship.

Coco Cay was empty, even though Freedom sat along side us. (it was there 2nd day at the Cay, and it looked as though many stayed onboard)

Vaccinated only events were not checked. (although I don't know how they could really enforce them.)

Social distancing, especially at night was lax. (that's alcohol for ya!)

Loved how the Windjammer now works. No touching! Not even a plate or silverware! Everything is handed to you!

So happy to get back to cruising, but miss all the people and the excitement that surrounds a bustling  Royal Caribbean ship.

Would and are definitely doing it again in November!

• Like 5

We were on the same sailing and did not get off the ship.  It was very nice.  I agree the crew was great.  I can't count how many times the waiter/assistant waiter asked us how we were during dinner.  It was bordering on overkill , guess they are bored.  Not sure why they don't have the bar stools back in Boleros or Playmakers since now everyone except kids have to be vaxed.

2 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

One has to wonder how many they would accept, I would think more than that but 1100 is all that signed up.  

I also wonder if they could achieve 100% occupancy with the present protocols 

7 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

One has to wonder how many they would accept, I would think more than that but 1100 is all that signed up.  

4 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Both Mariner cruises that I have been on since they started back were for sale until the last day so they must not have reached whatever capacity level they have set for themselves

Truthfully, there are a lot of hoops to go through to get on the ship. Even with all of the best intentions you can still not make it onboard due to test results or paperwork glitches. I don't know if people are all willing to do that for a cruise right now. honestly, I was terrified that I would show a positive test result 2 days before getting onboard. Mind you, we go nowhere, see practically no one, haven't been to an inside restaurant in over 16mos. and mask up every time we are inside any store or building. I just miss cruising so bad that until I was fully on the ship I didn't believe it would happen!

• Like 2

Which Cruise Terminal does the Mariner leave from?  We're supposed to board Monday next week as long as we test negative.  I think I would like less people on a ship because I enjoy staying on the ship when most people get off at a port.

Zoey, we are also on this cruise. The crew said weekend cruises are a little more crowded than the weekday cruises. I guess the weekend cruises are more popular.  It didn't occur to me  that I would be sailing over a holiday! Also, I'm not sure about the terminal. Maybe Molly knows that one!

45 minutes ago, breezer said:

Which Cruise Terminal does the Mariner leave from?  We're supposed to board Monday next week as long as we test negative.  I think I would like less people on a ship because I enjoy staying on the ship when most people get off at a port.

Terminal one

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

I'm going to be interested to see on our Freedom in two weeks. We were on Freedom in late August and it was pretty much like OP described. I didn't get an official guest count, but I can't imagine it was much over 1,000. 

We're back on Freedom in 2 weeks, and after describing the last time and how uncrowded it was, we had a friend decide to join us last minute, but when selecting rooms it looked like most categories were sold out or nearly sold out. Suites and Promenade view interiors were sold out, balconies only listed 2 available, and only 3V was available for interior and only 11 cabins were available. Ocean view had the most availability, and then connecting promenade view interiors, but even then the connecting promenades were mostly on deck 7, with all on deck 6 showing unavailable.

Not sure if they are actually booked, or if they are purposefully limiting the number of cabins available.

We will be on the FOS on October 22nd and the availability looks pretty similar to what you are describing.  I don't full ship but a ghost ship has me worried. Either way, I'm thrilled I'm going to be in a cruise ship again.

Sounds like a great way to cruise IMO: not loud and crowded, but enough people to meet some people.  Good food.  I love the Windjammer concept, as it's the same as HAL, and I've always liked the way they run their buffets.

As far as testing goes, I'm going to do BinaxNOW 15 minute proctored testing at home more than 24 hours ahead of sailing, so if I test positive I can cancel for a full FCC or refund.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Use your Seapass card in a slot machine and load your OBC onto it.

thank you...but how do you do it? when you load the card do you click "account?" Can you load just part of the OBC or will all of it show up?

After you play for a while can you get cash for the balance?

sorry for all the questions, We have never done this before.

That echoes our experience a few weeks ago, and it was marvelous!   The only place we really felt the lack of people was at the stage shows, where the applause was a bit sparse.

Playmakers, especially, was full much of the time so we simply avoided it.

This won't last forever, but it surely was nice.  🙂

On 10/3/2021 at 9:03 AM, molly361 said:

Both Mariner cruises that I have been on since they started back were for sale until the last day so they must not have reached whatever capacity level they have set for themselves

yeah, I know on Odyssey the 6 nights have had quite a few more than the 8 nights. Which makes me think at least the 8 nighters are not hitting the capacity limit they set.

Disney World also had their attendance tank in mid-August and hasn't recovered.

On 10/3/2021 at 9:42 AM, molly361 said:

We were on the same sailing and did not get off the ship.  It was very nice.  I agree the crew was great.  I can't count how many times the waiter/assistant waiter asked us how we were during dinner.  It was bordering on overkill , guess they are bored.  Not sure why they don't have the bar stools back in Boleros or Playmakers since now everyone except kids have to be vaxed.

Sorry that I missed meeting you onboard.  

M

• Thanks 1