CVS Cancels Rapid Test Again & Again

CVS just cancelled our Rapid Testing for this Friday 10/8 for our 10/10 cruise. Glad I have the backup tests from Optum. DON’T RISK booking with them, have backups. Seems like they have been cancelling these tests quite often. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

CVS just cancelled our Rapid Testing for this Friday 10/8 for our 10/10 cruise. Glad I have the backup tests from Optum. DON’T RISK booking with them, have backups. Seems like they have been cancelling these tests quite often. 

Yep, the same around here too.   Except most of the time they arent even letting people know until you show up and the window says closed, no testing today.  

Edited by ryano
  • Like 2

There is a shortage/supply issue of antigen tests. It's nothing specific to CVS, pretty much anywhere you plan to get an antigen test may end up cancelling because they run out.

Highly recommend ordering the at home telehealth tests well in advance of cruising, even if it's just as a backup for a CVS appointment.

• Like 2

Happened to us on our cruise 9/19. CVS cancelled appointments and backup appointments.  On the same day!!!

Saturday's appointment was cancelled on Thursday

Friday's on Friday - 2 hours before!

Glad we somehow decided to buy backup teletest on previous Sunday!!!! 

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

I just ordered my at home tests for my 10/18 cruise today.  Hopefully insurance will reimburse but if not oh well. I was also having a big problem finding the rapid tests in Miami that were close to my hotel.  I do not want the stress of an appointment being cancelled but I will keep my CVS appt just in case. 

• Like 1

We will continue to try and find local rapid tests before our cruises, BUT, we also bought the self-administered tests from E-Med that are recommended and accepted by RCG so we are prepared with a back-up strategy.

• Like 1

Happened to us too with CVS. We just went to a small local mom and pop pharmacy.  The owner came out to our car,  administered the test and gave us the results in 15 minutes.  I don't think people realize these small private pharmacies do rapid covid tests besides the big name ones.

Edited by lauren0309
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, lauren0309 said:

Happened to us too with CVS. We just went to a small local mom and pop pharmacy.  The owner came out to our car,  administered the test and gave us the results in 15 minutes.  I don't think people realize these small private pharmacies do rapid covid tests besides the big name ones.

We do not have these pharmacies anymore. Only chains

We will be doing the at home monitored tests.

However as a Plan B we do have appointments booked with CVS but will cancel them once our home tests are done.

We are driving down two days early and being able to do the home tests very early that morning gives us the ability to leave at 6:00am instead of 10:00am!!!

2 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

We will be doing the at home monitored tests.

However as a Plan B we do have appointments booked with CVS but will cancel them once our home tests are done.

We are driving down two days early and being able to do the home tests very early that morning gives us the ability to leave at 6:00am instead of 10:00am!!!

It makes sense to do the other way around as CVS tests are usually free (covered by INS)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tatka said:

It makes sense to do the other way around as CVS tests are usually free (covered by INS)

I don’t disagree with you because in August when we did the tests the first time we used an Urgent Care and it was free.  

But because it is so hard to get appointments now, add in the fear they will be canceled at the last minute combined with the fact this way I can now leave home so such earlier made the cost worth it to us.

Edited by GTO-Girl
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, LorraineP said:

Just because your CVS is not good doesnt make them all bad.

My cvs I went to says they just only book as many appointments as they have test kits so they dont run out. They dont book up full and run out. 

My CVS was as nice as can be near me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LorraineP said:

Agreed.  Several people I know have shown up for their appointments only to find a note taped to the window stating that they are not administering tests.

The at home tests were a BREEZE. I woke up TOO early this morning and did mine at 1:40 am with no issues. VERY well done system with live human and on screen graphics to walk you through the process (on the laptop anyway). Not sure about on a phone/tablet.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

My cvs I went to says they just only book as many appointments as they have test kits so they dont run out. They dont book up full and run out. 

I booked our CVS appointments at 2:00AM when appointments were first released for my date (14 days out). My DH & I had first 2 appointments in morning. They had it scheduled for 2 weeks there is absolutely no excuse to cancel, they knew how many they needed. Will never book anything with them again. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Guess you were one of the lucky ones. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CVS has become increasingly unreliable for testing... both rapid and PCR. I think it's more of a HELP issue than a test issue though. I've had similar issues and experiences with them. Try an urgent care facility. They do the PCR test at least. If you schedule it 48 hours prior then have a Plan B option. For me, CVS was plan B and they cancelled. I still have my Plan A and unless the lab itself burns down, that's where they send the samples collected in my area. Can't get any faster than going direct!

33 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Well.. we booked 2 appointments in two different stores two weeks ahead, and they canceled both! One 2 hours prior appointment.

Edited by Tatka

Just a word of warning on the Binax AG Card tests (from Optum and eMed).  I had ordered a six pack for an upcoming cruise, but due to an exposure to several family members, we ended up using them to test 4 of us.  Of the 6 tests in that we ordered, 2 were missing the 'liquid'.   The gave us a link to replace the defective tests, but that would be  ZERO help to you if you're needing them to board a cruise.  I'll make sure we have a MINIMUM of 2 per person when I reorder.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 3

Can only see the cancellations getting worse once the upcoming peak of travel during Thanksgiving and Christmas starts soon. Ordering my home test kit now.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 2

Walgreens seems to be doing a better job around me keeping appointments then CVS. Has anyone used their results to get on a RCCL ship? I saw that Carnival was accepting them. I have an appointment Wednesday for a Friday cruise and have an Urgent care backup on Thursday.

3 hours ago, Tolkmit said:

Highly recommend ordering the at home telehealth tests well in advance of cruising, even if it's just as a backup for a CVS appointment.

Do you by chance know what the shelf life of these tests are? We are cruising in January and I've hesitated ordering them so far in advance because I don't know if they'd still be good to use by then.

4 minutes ago, NCMtnBoys said:

Do you by chance know what the shelf life of these tests are? We are cruising in January and I've hesitated ordering them so far in advance because I don't know if they'd still be good to use by then.

The ones I had were good through early January.  Abbot Labs put out an updated expiration date list since the box shows a much sooner expiration.  If you order now you should be fine with regard to expiration, but read my post about defective tests. I know I'm not the only one who has had a problem with defective tests, the person doing the current 'live' this week had the same problem with some of the test kits they received as well.  Thankfully they were able to get results elsewhere.  

1 minute ago, rockmom said:

The ones I had were good through early January.  Abbot Labs put out an updated expiration date list since the box shows a much sooner expiration.  If you order now you should be fine with regard to expiration, but read my post about defective tests. I know I'm not the only one who has had a problem with defective tests, the person doing the current 'live' this week had the same problem with some of the test kits they received as well.  Thankfully they were able to get results elsewhere.  

Thanks so much, yea, I'm leery about getting a defective test. I mean us cruisers need accurate, reliable results; our embarkation depends on it!

• Like 1