No Cruising In New Zealand Before October 2022 :(

Just now, lissie said:

Where are you? Are you a kiwi? I was answering the poster who sounded like he was American - but citizens and PRs can come back from Australia from Jan 17 . Your daughter can travel to you where ever you are and return after the 13 Feb 

Hi Lissie. I'm an Australian citizen, resident in Australia. So I have no 'right' to enter NZ until the 'all tourists' category commences. Daughter could come here (to Aust) but doesn't want to travel with new baby (to a covid hotspot) which I understand. Until now, they were also concerned about being able to get back into NZ but that obstruction will soon reduce as you say. I know the NZ govt is just doing what they feel they need to do to keep the population as safe as possible; it was just my shock and disappointment at seeing that 30th April date that led to my post. Nothing about a pandemic is easy.

• Like 1

Hi, I am in the UK, our trip to New Zealand and Australia has been booked 3 times and cancelled twice. I agree with you that nothing is easy in a pandemic but travelling is a huge part of many peoples lives and we will see more travel companies go under if this continues, I realise it is even more difficult for the Kiwis and Australians, so sorry this has happened to you.

• Like 2

Don't give up hope yet. Both Australia and NZ are learning to live with Covid and, although much depends on what new variants appear, both countries are on track to a more normal life which should include cruising. Although NZ is being more cautious than Australia. We're hoping cruising will restart in Australia from February onwards. Initially it will probably be intrastate but if that works out OK we should soon see interstate cruises happening. There aren't many cruise ship visits to NZ over our winter which is probably why they're delaying their restart until spring. 

15 minutes ago, karenw182 said:

So fed up, just booked all the flights around an October 2022 New Zealand Cruise from Sydney and now thinking we won;t be allowed to get off the ship for 7 days? Can't see New Zealand making it easier by then??

I think it's prudent in the current and on-going pandemic situation to not book travel elements like flights until much closer to your other travel plans. My own feeling is that it sets one up for disappointment if you have concrete plans which then are, by necessity, altered.

Book flights a few months out from your cruise. I hope you bought a refundable fare.

2 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Cruising to New Zealand has always been my dream. This country has always seemed to me like a wonderland, a country that is not really connected with EUrope or the rest of the world, a country living their own unique and calm way of life

New Zealand is lovely. You'll get there one day and you'll enjoy it. They really are so chill!

6 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Cruising to New Zealand has always been my dream. This country has always seemed to me like a wonderland, a country that is not really connected with EUrope or the rest of the world, a country living their own unique and calm way of life

It is lovely but it's not perfect, there are undercurrents there just like any other country. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It is lovely but it's not perfect, there are undercurrents there just like any other country. 

All I know about New Zealnd is that they speak some weird language, the place is basically a vulcano, some Lord of the Rings scenes were shot there and they have a place where vikings lived for a long time =D Climate there should be very nice though 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

All I know about New Zealnd is that they speak some weird language, the place is basically a vulcano, some Lord of the Rings scenes were shot there and they have a place where vikings lived for a long time =D Climate there should be very nice though 

They speak the NZ variant of English. 

The country is on the Pacific ring of fire so, yes, there are a few volcanoes as well as spectacular mountain ranges. 

All the Lord of the Rings films were shot there and you can visit some of the places that were key locations in the film, including Hobbiton which is well worth visiting.

No viking locations though unless a viking film was made there.

Initially the country was settled by the Maori during the era when polynesians moved out through the Pacific. Then the British discovered it and settled there. These days it's a multicultural country but is also paying more attention to its Maori heritage.

Hopefully one day you'll get to visit there. 

• 4 weeks later...

Correct me if I'm wrong. We Aussies can go to NZ without quarantining from 7/1, if we are fully vaxxed and have a negative PCR test 48 hours before departure? That was my understanding of what was on the NZ gov website. I  hope so and also hope that Omicron doesn't cause the NZ gov to have a change of heart.  

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Correct me if I'm wrong. We Aussies can go to NZ without quarantining from 7/1, if we are fully vaxxed and have a negative PCR test 48 hours before departure? That was my understanding of what was on the NZ gov website. I  hope so and also hope that Omicron doesn't cause the NZ gov to have a change of heart.  

Just correcting you. They changed their requirements on the 21 December. The latest advice is"

"Our phased border reopening will be delayed to the end of February 2022. This means travellers from Australia will need to book a place in managed isolation (MIQ) to travel to New Zealand." Source

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Incorrect. It had been their intention to allow NZ citizens back into New Zealand from 17th January (not 7th as you say) but not Australian citizens without any right to residency. That was changed a week or so ago to being entry for NZ citizens from end of February. Entry for Australians is as yet unchanged from the previously announced 30th April.

All of those dates and entry categories are subject to 7 days home isolation (which is, in effect, quarantine, so there is also that quarantine requirement.

• Like 1

Very sad news. Unfortunatly, its not only about the cruising but also about the flights and other options with which people get to the island. Well, if you think about it, we can understand people living in New Zealnd. With omicron spreading all over.. the best way to react is close for some time (like Japan for example) 

2 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Very sad news. Unfortunatly, its not only about the cruising but also about the flights and other options with which people get to the island. Well, if you think about it, we can understand people living in New Zealnd. With omicron spreading all over.. the best way to react is close for some time (like Japan for example) 

Our borders have been closed since March 20020. As  it was announced a few weeks ago that we would reopen to foreigners (albeit with a possible at home quarantine) end of April.   At this stage Omicron has affected the opening  to Australia  mid Jan (NSW being Omicron grounds central now) - but I  it hasn't changed the dates for NZers returning (end of Feb) or the general end of April date. 

As a Kiwi I can't really leave without the borders being open to get a decent  flight / any flight and to get travel insurance. I'm confident that my trip to US/Europe mid July will actually happen. If you place for next summmer ie Oct/Nov 22 or later you'll be fine. With the caveat you'll need to be fully vaccinated - however that is defined at the time 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, lissie said:

Our borders have been closed since March 20020. As  it was announced a few weeks ago that we would reopen to foreigners (albeit with a possible at home quarantine) end of April.   At this stage Omicron has affected the opening  to Australia  mid Jan (NSW being Omicron grounds central now) - but I  it hasn't changed the dates for NZers returning (end of Feb) or the general end of April date. 

As a Kiwi I can't really leave without the borders being open to get a decent  flight / any flight and to get travel insurance. I'm confident that my trip to US/Europe mid July will actually happen. If you place for next summmer ie Oct/Nov 22 or later you'll be fine. With the caveat you'll need to be fully vaccinated - however that is defined at the time 

My concern is that there has been no mention of a change to the maritime border order.  Until that is changed cruise ships can still not enter the country, no matter the visa or vaccine status of the passengers.  It may be that such an announcement will be made prior to the commencement of the 22/23 summer cruise season but it is not part of the current announcements regarding border reopening.

13 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

My concern is that there has been no mention of a change to the maritime border order.  Until that is changed cruise ships can still not enter the country, no matter the visa or vaccine status of the passengers.  It may be that such an announcement will be made prior to the commencement of the 22/23 summer cruise season but it is not part of the current announcements regarding border reopening.

Until our air borders open there is absolutely no discussion around cruising. Note we still do have domestic cursing on a local operator Heritage Expeditions.  Also  we will coordinate with Australia - because almost all ships are based out of Australia - it would be uneconomic for NZ to open borders to cruise ships  without Australia allowing cruising 

• Like 2

As a kiwi who has seen much of NZ, we went with Heritage Expeditions a year ago to Stewart Island and Fiordland. It was an amazing 7 days, in zodiacs and seeing  unspoiled areas. 48 people aboard, great crew, great food, wildlife, endangered species, so much more; and had a great trip, New Year celebrated in Stewart Island. Weather perfect!!

Totally recommend if you need a "sea" fix!! 

On 12/29/2021 at 9:41 PM, gomertz said:

As a kiwi who has seen much of NZ, we went with Heritage Expeditions a year ago to Stewart Island and Fiordland. It was an amazing 7 days, in zodiacs and seeing  unspoiled areas. 48 people aboard, great crew, great food, wildlife, endangered species, so much more; and had a great trip, New Year celebrated in Stewart Island. Weather perfect!!

Totally recommend if you need a "sea" fix!! 

Yes we did that as well - including the Snares - was an awesome trip 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 11:20 PM, lissie said:

Lizzie,

Is the re-opening to 'all foreigners' looking likely?

Why would US / Europe allow travel from Australians / NZ citizens if they weren't open to reciprocal travel? My understanding is US / parts of Europe are still on a 'go away' list.

Cheers

46 minutes ago, ollyoeno said:

Lizzie,

Why would US / Europe allow travel from Australians / NZ citizens if they weren't open to reciprocal travel? My understanding is US / parts of Europe are still on a 'go away' list.

The New Zealand Government has not said anything more about the border re-opening at this stage.

Here in New Zealand we have had a Omicron scare, one Omicron in the community but Thankfully no more Omicron cases in the community so far.

I think because of this Omicron
scare we have had, the border reopening will get delay for another 3 or so months.

I also think with what Omicron has been doing overseas and in Australia, we dont want it in New Zealand for as longer as we can.

On 10/12/2021 at 9:44 AM, NSWP said:

Personally I think NSW should have remained in lockdown for another 3 months. People will be going beserk in the coming weeks too much interaction.  Qld Premier is urging Queenslanders to get vaccinated in the next 6 weeks, does that mean Qld might reopen their border on 1 November? Who knows.🤐

I think borders should have remained shut until all states reached the agreed national figure, e.g. 90% of all people eligible to be vaccinated.  

22 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

Lizzie,

Cheers

US never closed to us - even when they shut out Europeans.   Ditto UK. Europe is open as far as I know - France is open to us  now. Our vaccine pass works with the EU one which is helpful.  I don't think any of the border closures for Covid have been reciprocal. 

There is no news re-opening -  but its summer time so everything goes quiet unless its a dramatic change. We are watching NSW - so far not too - bad high case load but the main issue seems to be  over loaded test facilities . 

I still think we have a good chance of reopening to foreigners end of April - we have to open at some stage- Omicron seems to be a better variant than delta. Meanwhile our delta cases keep on declining

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lissie said:

Our vaccine pass works with the EU one which is helpful. 

I wish/hope our country signs up to the EU pass like NZ has. I have read that some Australian travellers who went to visit family last month had problems with places not accepting the Australian vaccine certificate. We are signed up to the International that is linked to IATA which is fine for air travel and larger organisations but not helpful for general places in Europe. 

• Like 2